Lilah

By AshlynPope

#1 in Young Adult #9 in Badboy #1 in Cold #3 in Goodgirl #1 in Sweetheart #14 in Love *Currently available at... More

Introduction
Playlist
Chapter 1: Butterflies
Chapter 2: CIA Spy
Chapter 3: Sugar
Chapter 4: Sober
Chapter 5: Nineteen
Chapter 6: Dangerous
Chapter 7: Mistake
Chapter 8: Grasshole
Chapter 9: Friends?
Chapter 10: Hugs
Chapter 11: Jake
Chapter 12: Destroyed
Chapter 13: Drugs
Chapter 14: Nothing
Chapter 15: Selfish
Chapter 16: Miami
Chapter 17: Childish
Chapter 18: Karma
Chapter 19: Yours
Chapter 20: Drunk
Chapter 22: Enough
Chapter 23: Retaliation
Chapter 24: Amazing
Chapter 25: Stargazing
Chapter 26: Dumb
Chapter 27: Crackhead
Chapter 28: Done
Chapter 29: Reassurance
Chapter 30: Herb
Chapter 31: Party
Chapter 32: Apples
Chapter 33: Weird
Chapter 34: Baby
Chapter 35: Doctor
Chapter 36: Bud
Chapter 37: Suspicious
Chapter 38: Club
Chapter 39: Flowers
Chapter 40: Christmas
Chapter 41: Scared
Chapter 42: College
Chapter 43: Jessica
Chapter 44: Birthday
Epilogue

Chapter 21: Sway

2M 44.4K 224K
By AshlynPope

❀Azalea❀

Sometimes I wonder why bad things happen to me. And why they happen quite frequently.

And why they have to be the worst things possible.

I'm hyperventilating. I'm panicking. Grey's trying not to judge but I feel like that's a very hard task.

I knew sometime this would backfire.

Oh God, please help me.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Grey, dad's here. He's downstairs," I stress. At least Grey parked across the street.

"I'll just leave," he mumbles like it's no big deal. And I can't even explain to him that it is a big deal.

"No! Unless you leave through the window," I wince.

"Like some fuckin' spider monkey? Who do you think I am?"

"He can't see you," I add and his jaw ticks.

"The fucking window? What are you so scared of?" his eyebrows furrow.

"What's the worst the guy's gonna do? Ground you? Come on, Azalea. We're together, is he ever gonna find out?"

My head hurts from my mind conflicting with itself. I don't know what to do, what to say, or anything.

"You're going to make me cry," I whisper and he sighs. He pulls me to him and he kisses the side of my head.

"I don't want to get in trouble. I don't like getting in trouble," I say metaphorically. I don't like getting welts on my back.

"Why don't I just stay here until he leaves again?" he tries.

"He won't leave until late tomorrow," I shake my head, "and you said you have to work in a little bit."

"You really want me to leave out the window?" he grumbles.

"I'm really, really sorry, and I know it's selfish for me to not want to get in trouble but I just-" he shuts me up with a kiss.

"It's not selfish. It's okay," he nods and I sigh. He licks his lips.

"Give me one more 'fore I go," he leans in, his eyes focused on my lips. I lean in the rest of the way.

I shoot away from him upon hearing my bedroom door being opened forcibly.

"I knew I heard someone else in here," dad's sober voice enters my room.

He's sober.

My heart falls. He glares at me evilly and I attempt to calm my breathing.

"I-I'm sorry," I whisper loudly enough for me to hear him.

"You should be sorry," his nose flares in anger. He turns his attention to Grey who sits beside me, not knowing what to do. But his face is nowhere near happy. Dad's tone is far from how a father should talk to his daughter.

He's trying his best to not glare at dad.

"You, get the hell out of my house," dad points his finger in Grey's face which only irritates him more, "you goddamn punk."

Grey takes his time as he pulls his boots back on. Who knew Grey was a petty man?

"This is the guy? This lowlife?" dad sneers down at me and I shrink away.

Too scared to even defend Grey.

Why does everyone think so terribly about Grey? He's nothing like they think.

"Stay away from that child," not his daughter, but that child.

"She's not a fucking child," Grey sneers right back, standing up and looming over dad's 5'11 height.

"What gives you the right to curse at me in my own home?" dad tries to stand his ground.

"The same right that allows me to not give two shits," I wince at Grey's response.

"Get the fuck out of my house!" dad grows even more irate.

Grey looks back at me.

"I'll text you," he tells me before walking to my door.

"You will not!" dad demands and Grey turns around.

"Yes the fuck I will," he nearly growls out before leaving me and dad alone.

He's sober though. He won't hurt me, right?

"You are to never see him again. Where is your phone, give me it," he demands.

"I don't know," I lie. He can't take my phone. Grey said he'd text me, he can't take it.

"Don't you lie to me Azalea Carson," he glares.

"I really don't know," my voice comes out shakily, "it's been lost for a couple of days."

He walks closer to me threateningly.

"And don't you ever, try to tattle on me ever again," he gives me the meanest tone, one that sends my eyes watery.

"Okay," I whimper and he leaves, slamming my door harshly behind him.

And then I cry.

~~~

At this point in my life, I'm the furthest from alone I've ever been. But I'm also a liar and I keep things from the people most important to me.

So I feel alone.

My phone lights up with a call but I ignore it, having a feeling I know who it is.

Grey cares. He cares a lot and he's not the only one but I can't tell him about dad. I just can't.

I don't want to lose my father too. He'll get better.

Right?

Why is it that I don't want to let Grey worry, but at the same time, I'm making him worry by not answering him?

Why has my mind been so conflicted about everything?

I just want it all to stop.

I want to stop worrying about dad.

I want to stop worrying about what to do.

I want to stop feeling selfish about everything.

I want to stop thinking so much.

I want to stop being scared to death of my own father.

I want to stop lying to the one person who I know cares about me.

I want to stop saying 'I can't.'

But I can't.

On one of the call's last rings, I pick up the phone.

"I was wondering when the hell you were fixing to pick up the damn phone," his unhappy voice says through the phone. I bite my lip as my eyes water.

I guess he's done working for today.

"I'm sorry," I tell him softly, looking out into the sea of trees over the overlook.

"What's wrong Lilah?" his voice softens which only sends a tear down my cheek.

"I don't know," I admit defeatedly, my voice breaking.

"Where are you?" he asks softly. I calm myself and swallow the lump in my throat.

"That overhang we went to," I mumble softly.

"I'll be there in a minute," his voice remains quiet. Most likely because he can hear my shaky voice.

The call ends and I hug my knees to my chest sitting on the rock edge of the overlook. At least if I fall off this thing, there's a grass patch on the other side before it really drops off.

Like it would matter. Shut up. It does matter.

It takes Grey ten minutes to get here. It should've taken him around fifteen but somebody must've been speeding.

He stands to the side of me, holding out his hand. I place my hand in his and he helps me to stand and he pulls me to him.

"What is it?" he holds me to his chest as his hand rubs my back soothingly.

"I'm having a mental breakdown," I tell him truthfully.

"I'm sorry about my dad," I whisper. He lifts my chin up to him.

"I don't want to hear it," he says sternly.

"That's enough," he wipes my damp cheeks.

"Don't be sorry about anything. Nothing is your fault," he adds.

"Is it 'cause I'm an ugly crier?" I sniffle.

"Shut up, you could never be ugly," he grumbles. I bet I could prove him wrong.

"Do you think I'm an unlucky person or it's just karma?" I question quietly.

"It wouldn't be karma because you never fucking did anything in the first place," he drills into me sternly.

"And so what if you're unlucky? I'm lucky as fuck, I've got enough luck for the both of us," he places a slow kiss on my lips, one that makes my heart speed up.

"Everything happens for a reason," I remind myself softly and he nods, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Would a tattoo on your forehead hurt? I'm thinking about getting one there that says 'I'm sorry you have to hear me talk', what color should I get it done in, blac-"

It's wild how quickly he can cheer me up just by being near me.

"Shut up."

"See, exactly what I mean. I'm sorry you have to hear me talk. I could get another one on my chin that says 'ignore me'," I explain.

"Oh! I've got a good one. This one I can get under my eyes like Post Malone and it'll say, 'Turn off your hearing aids old people,' that's a good one," I can imagine it now.

That's a lot of words on my face though.

I look up to see him scowling right back at me.

"I'm sorr-"

"Stop saying that," he grumbles and I internally say I'm sorry. Suck it.

"Did it hurt," when you fell from heaven, "when you got all these tattoos?"

"Some," he says and I sigh.

"Have you ever thought of getting one on your forehead?"

"One that says leave me the fuck alone," he mumbles. Is he kidding or no?

"That would fit you," I smile.

"Get your ass in your car," he lightly pushes me away and I laugh at him.

"Come home with me," he opens my door for me and watches as I climb in the driver side. Home?

His home, he meant.

"Aw. Do you like spending time with me?" I lean up and kiss his cheek as he hands me my seatbelt. He leans into me and I kiss it again before he pulls away.

"You've got a pretty face," he shrugs a single shoulder and the corner of his lips turn up in a little baby smile.

"You're so cut-"

"Don't call me cute," he cuts me off.

That's like me telling him to not call me Lilah. It's never gonna happen.

I buckle my seatbelt and turn back to him.

"Were you listening to Mötley Crüe?" He looks at my radio where the screen reads the name Kickstart My Heart.

I listen to hard rock when I cry sometimes to make me feel like a badbutt. It didn't work this time even with one of the hardest rock songs I have.

"I love how heavenly their music is," I say sarcastically with an innocent smile on my face. He leans his arm on the outside of my car and I hold back from swooning.

My eyes find his lips that are beautifully resting in a small smirk.

"Are you gonna kiss me or just look at me?"

I blush slightly and lean up to him. He leans down the rest of the way and kisses me.

He pulls away only to look at me.

"God you're fuckin' sweet," he kisses me again with a bit more force.

He grips my chin and I gasp when he bites my lip. Then he pulls away. I'm blubbering.

"Okay," I blurt for no reason and he kisses my forehead. He leans down and I kiss his softly.

He's cute and he can kiss my grits if he doesn't like it.

~~~

"Why are you like this?" I sigh, looking up at him.

"I didn't ask for this," he responds.

"You're not trying at all," I narrow my eyes up at him.

"Yeah 'cause I'm gonna step on you," he looks down at my bare feet. I step back away from him and he reluctantly releases my waist from his grip.

Grey doesn't know how to dance. Such a cutie.

I'm quite the dancer myself.

I specialize in many different types. Ballroom, strippering, salsa, I'm not very good at break dancing, and I'm super great a ballet. And I'm actually pretty good a slow dancing.

Grey never asked to learn but I'm teaching him, I don't care what he thinks.

"Sway," I instruct him.

"The fuck do you mean, sway?" he mimics.

"The frick do you mean you don't know how to sway?" I mimic him right back.

"Sway like you did the other night when you got drunk," I tilt my head and his eyes narrow slightly.

He doesn't move. I return to my spot in front of him. I wrap my arms around him.

"Don't move your feet, just sway with me," I begin swaying and the freaking crackhead is stiff. I squeeze that booty of his.

"Stop being stiff."

"Well your hands are on my fucking ass," he mumbles and I chuckle evilly. I move his hands down to my butt. Now we're equal.

"You don't feel me being stiff, now do you?" I question.

"No one just touched my ass before you," he grumbles and I let a smile grow on my lips.

"And you think people have touched mine?" I tilt my head.

"They fuckin' better not have," he scowls.

"Look. You're swaying and not tense," I chime in, noticing how he's not being stiff and he's actually moving with me.

"I'm gonna step back, you step forward," I instruct.

"What fucking foot?"

"Um." I've never actually taught anyone how to slow dance. I kinda thought it was something everyone already knew.

"Your right one."

I grab one of his hands from my booty and I hold it up in a classic slow dance move. Then I let go of it because my eyes fall on his nice chest.

So I place my hand on his chest and he moves his hand back. I almost squeeze his peck but I refrain.

Gosh, he's strong.

"Now move your right foot to the right," I say softly and he does so. And then my heart swells when he presses a kiss to my temple.

I give him a few more instructions and tips and soon enough, he's got it down and we're slow dancing. And Bear is very jealous.

I sense an intruder when the front door opens suddenly and I expect Grey to pull away and react but he doesn't. And then I see Sanfred walk into sight.

"Aw, look at my parents," he says with a little smile on his face. I feel Grey rolling his eyes.

Bear attacks him with love and jumps on him and everything.

"Grey, please. Your mammoth of a dog is going to make Bella jealous," Sanfred moves out of the way of Bear.

"C'mere Bear," I call him back over to us.

"Do you have a dog too?"

"Yes. And Bella won't come near me if she smells Bear on me."

"What kind of dog is she?"

"A dachshund-"

"Oh my gosh, you have a wiener dog?!" I squeal. I love those little weiners.

That's probably not what she said. Hush.

"Bella is not a wiener dog. She is a princess," he argues. Grey pulls away when I stop moving. I grab his butt and pull him back to me.

"Well-"

"Azalea, I'm on a mission to retrieve this guy from his house because some old guy is being held hostage in some shack two towns over but when I get back, I will argue with you for hours on how my Bella is more of a princess than actual princesses. Now Grey, get your guns and get your ass in my car," he says all in one breath.

There's an old man being held, hostage?!

"Try again," Grey sneers.

"I meant: Azalea I'll tell you about Bell later on and Grey, please gather your weaponry and accompany me in my car...please," he fixes his phrase.

"That's what I fuckin' thought," Grey grumbles, releasing me to go get his 'weaponry.'

"Don't touch," he points to Sanfred then back to me. As soon as he's out of view, Sanfred runs to me.

"Let's dance baby doll," he rushes out, grabbing my hand and giving me a twirl.

"Is your name really Sanfred?" I ask the question that's been on my mind for a while.

"My name's Oaklee Sanford. Whoever gave these guys my resume said my last name was Sanfred, and it stuck with them. I'm not even sure Grey knows my first name," he shrugs.

"Can I call you Oaklee?" I question.

"You can call me whatever you want, baby doll," he winks.

"You remind me of someone," he suddenly says.

"Jake Carson?" I question. They all knew him.

"How did you..?" he says, surprised.

"He was my brother," I say softly and his movements pause. He just looks at me for a second.

"I gave you one fuckin' rule," Grey's voice grumbles as he comes back into the room. I step away from Oaklee.

"She's irresistible," Oaklee shrugs. I'm probably going to forget to call Sanfred Oaklee but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

"Go wait in the fucking car."

"Fine," Oaklee leaves and after a second, the front door opens then closes.

Grey sits two guns on the couch and I feel my eyebrows raise. I feel him grab onto my waist and pull me to him.

He turns my chin to him.

He kisses me harshly and my breath is knocked out of me. Woah baby.

He kisses down my neck and I'm sure he can feel my wild pulse with his lips. He pulls away and gives me one last gentle, sweet kiss.

"If anyone tries to break in and kill you, there's a gun beside the bed. And don't try to be their fuckin' friend," he kisses my forehead.

Like I'll know how to use it.

"And if anyone tries to headbutt you, um," I think of something that he'd be able to do.

"Just don't get close enough for anybody to reach you like that since you don't know how to dodge them," I give him an assuring nod.

"I know how to," he mumbles.

"Lying is a sin, okay? Be careful," I wrap my arms around him in a hug.

"I'll be home soon," he bends down and I kiss his forehead.

"Okay Sugar," I smile.

~~~

ϟ Grey ϟ

"Azalea is Jake's little sister?" Sanfred asks as soon as I get in the car.

How the fuck..?

"Did she tell you that?" I sigh.

"Yep. She's beautiful. I guess that's why Jake never let us see her," he mumbles.

"Shut up," I warn him. Goddammit.

The forty-five-minute drive goes by slowly. Everything goes slowly when I'm with Sanfred. I dread being in his company. Or anyones.

Except Lilah's.

And it pisses me the fuck off when someone has to get in the way of us spending time together.

Who the fuck holds an old guy hostage anyway? Dumb motherfucker.

I fucking hate everybody.

Arriving at the location where everything is taking place, I'm handed a leather and the file of who's holding the old guy hostage.

Known methamphetamine user.

Well isn't that just fan-fucking-tastic?

Police cars and our SUV's surround the place. I get stopped as I walk closer.

"Can I see some identification, sir?" the cop asks, resting his hands on his belt.

"Fuck off," I don't bat an eye as I casually continue my path, past him.

What the fuck is he gonna do anyway? Fuckin' tase me?

Why would a normal citizen walk up to a crime scene? Dumbass.

"This is so exciting," whatever her name, new girl, says as I finally see our group. She holds her gun pointed at the goddamn bushes.

Watch the fuck out for those damn bush critters. For fuck sake.

"He's been holding him in there for a good hour and a half now," Jai informs me as I stop beside him.

"It's his grandfather, apparently," he adds.

"The fuck's her name?" I nod to the new girl.

"Jacqueline," he smirks, "I left a spot open right next to her just for you."

"Fuck you, piece of shit," I grumble and he only chuckles.

I rest against the SUV beside her.

"So," she starts and I already want her to shut the fuck up.

"Why'd you get here so late? And why isn't your gun drawn?"

Is she fucking kidding?

"Two things. One, shut the fuck up. Two, don't ask me questions," I scowl.

Theo's phone dings with a text from a few people over from me.

Idiot.

"Grey, you're fucking Jake's little sister!?" He yells out.

I'm going to fucking kill Sanfred.

"I'm not fucking her," I turn to him with a glare.

"Is it Azalea?" Jai asks, "oh my god!"

"You're having sex with some girl?" the new girl who's name I already forgot again, asks. I choose to ignore her.

"No way you're fucking that man," Jonas' voice says. He knows just the right shit to make me so fucking mad.

"Who the fuck brought this motherfucker?" I glower.

"Why are you with her?" Theo asks me. He used to be the closest one with Jake.

"It wasn't on purpose," I grit my teeth.

"So you knew who she was?" He asks confusedly.

"Jake showed me a picture once," I sigh.

"And what? You just thought she's hot and probably hurting from Jake dying, 'lemme slide right in?'" He grows angry. I do too.

What kind of motherfucker does he think I am?

"I didn't fucking want her Theo," I glare, "I knew it was shitty. You think I don't know that? I don't fucking need you telling me this shit."

"But you're with her-"

"I tried fucking pushing her away from me," I sneer. Then I raise my wrist, showing him the brand new light pink scrunchie she got just for me. She said she made sure to wear it around for a couple of days so that it smells like her.

Thank fuck for that.

"If I wasn't fucking serious about her, would I be wearing her goddamn scrunchie?"

Would I be constantly thinking about when I get to see her next? Would I be not able to keep my eyes and hands off her?

He remains silent.

"We've got movement at the front door," some random officer tells us.

I glance a the window beside the front door of the house.

"Who trained you fucks? That's a goddamn cat," I glare at the officer. He winces. I turn back to Theo.

"So don't act like you know shit about us because you fuckin' don't," I glare at him one last time before turning to the door where the damn cat is still rubbing itself against the window beside it.

"Are you okay Grey?" the new girl's voice asks. I feel her hand come to rest on my arm and I jerk it away from her.

"Don't fucking touch me," I scowl.

What, does she think she's privileged or some shit? She's not Azalea, she doesn't have free rein to touch me whenever she wants. Or at all.

Only Lilah.

♢ ♦♢ ♦♢ ♦♢ ♦♢ ♦♢ ♦♢ ♦♢ ♦

Thank you for reading! I don't know about this chapter, it was basically a filler, but I hope it was okay!

School starts in three days. That sentence alone tells you just how I feel. But I hope everyone had a good summer! Next update coming soon!

*Not edited*

Word count: 3832

-Ashlyn Montgomery

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 391 1
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
76.2K 1.1K 67
I put on a show only for him in front of hundreds of people. I bring one hand up to my hair flicking them to the other side, trailing that hand down...
311K 5.8K 47
"I love you" she says and kisses my jaw tenderly. "I love you too baby" I reply stroking her still damp hair. We were sat in a dirty McDonald's car p...
741K 23.3K 47
[TW: This book contains strong language and scenes that others may find uncomfortable to read. | Also note that this was made by a 13-year-old so don...