Foxes & Dragons | Akatsuki no...

By RinnieSan

"Hiryuu! Don't leave me here!" Called the Fox Goddess. The Dragon God turned his head and smiled at his dear... More

Intro
Episode 00 | edited
Episode 01 | edited
Episode 02 | edited
Episode 03 | edited
Episode 04 | edited
Episode 05 | edited
Episode 06 | in editing
Episode 07 | in editing
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10; Special Pt. 1
Episode 11 | edited
Episode 12
< Notice >
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 18.5
Episode 19
Episode 20; Special pt. 2
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 22.5
Episode 23
Episode 24
< wattys2019 >
Episode 24.5
Episode 26

Episode 25

3.1K 124 9
By RinnieSan

Episode 25
'Cliff-Hanger'

>>>

"Hey, I'm not the only person that thinks this is crazy, right?" Saya deadpanned as she laid her eyes on the steep, narrow cliff that bordered the ocean. The salty blue waves beat on the sides of the cliff in a rhythmic manner, the heights of the waves varying in size.

"Can't I just do the trial for her?" The goddess pleaded with a pout.

Captain Gi-jang just shook her head and took another puff of smoke. "Ya tryin' to sabotage her or what? This is her trial to prove to me she's gon' be a useful lad durin' our missions. Don't embarrass her by giving her an easy way out."

Saya blushed with embarrassment as she muttered an apology.

"I'm alright," the princess smiled even as her legs shook with fear. "I'll definitely succeed!"

The albino just giggled at her, offering her a gentle hug as she said, "Of course. I'll be right here waiting for you with everyone else."

"Yeah, don't forget about us!" Yoon huffed, a faint blush on his cheeks.

Kija just continued to shake with worry. Honestly he looked like he could throw up any minute now. Take that back, he just did.

Hak shivered with disgust as the hakuryuu emptied the contents of his lunch onto the grass saying, "That's disgusting you White Snake!"

As Kija was continuously belittled by the ex-general, Shin-ah made sure to comfort the young man, patting him on the back silently but supportively.

>>>

Ten minutes had passed since Yona and Jae-ha began their journey to retrieve the cheonsu plants, and the group was already brimming with anxiety. Hak constantly watched the ledge with Shin-ah as Kija paced back and forth nonstop. Yoon sat on the grass while tapping his finger against his leg as Saya tapped her foot on the ground in an impatient manner.

"Oh stop yer worryin' ya wussies," Captain
Gi-jang said as she took another huff from her pipe. "But the waves are gettin' stronger. If the lads don't hurry it up they could be in for a lotta trouble."

Her words did little to nothing to help reassure Saya and the others. Actually, they were completely counterproductive and just made them even more anxious.

"I'm gonna go check on them," the goddess exclaimed as she made her way towards the cliff.

"I thought ya weren't gonna get involved."

With a sigh she shook her head. "I know, I won't interfere. I just need to make sure she's okay. I don't know what I'd do if she was in danger without me around."

The old woman assessed her up and down before shrugging. "Do what ya want, I won't stop you."

Saya beamed at her words.

"But, I'll only allow the lass to go. No one else ya hear?"

"Yes Captain!" The rest of the group shouted, a bit disappointed but relieved that Saya was going to make sure she was okay.

>>>

Saya watched discreetly from the top of the cliff as Yona and Ao scooted their way across the ledge towards the clearing where the cheonsu plants grew. The path was frighteningly narrow and it made the albino queasy just thinking about it.

The waves were strong and unrelenting against the side of the cliff while the wind blew forcefully with conviction, as if it was trying to knock anyone in its path off and into the ocean.

"Gods, that old lady is ruthless," Saya thought as she sweatdropped.

Jae-ha was a few feet away from the red-haired princess due to the narrowness of the ledge and he watched anxiously as Yona flinched from the wind, her feet stumbling a bit. Thankfully, she was fine and continued on her way until she finally reached the ledge with the cheonsu plants.

With a sigh of relief, Saya made an attempt to turn back, content with knowing her master was fine. And then, suddenly, a large wave crashed upon the cliff, flooding the cave that Yona was currently in.

"YONA!" Saya shouted. Without a thought, the goddess slid down the side of the cliff towards the place where Yona was hanging from.

"Sae-rin?!" Jae-ha exclaimed, so surprised to see the woman that he was momentarily distracted by the fact that Yona's life was hanging on a thread, literally.

"Jae-ha help me!"

"N-no! Saya don't help me. I have to do this by myself," Yona argued, wincing at the thorns digging into her palms. No matter how desperate she was for help, the girl was determined to carry out the task she had been trusted with on her own.

"Yona this isn't the time for that," the albino retorted, grabbing the frail princess's hand before pulling her up. Leaning back, Saya built up as much momentum she could before pulling Yona upwards as her own body went downwards.

Thankfully, Yona made it back unto the ledge, however, it was now Saya who was hurtling down the cliff towards her watery grave below.

Slowly, her eyes closed, readying herself for the fall to her doom. She was grateful that she was at least able to save her master but it was unfortunate she wasn't able to see everyone before her passing.

Thinking back, Saya chuckled. "My life has been in danger so many times now," she thought. "Perhaps my luck has finally run out."

The goddess grimaced at the thought. "I don't want to die."

"Sae-rin!" A male voice called out.

Saya opened her eyes to reveal the verdant-green haired man hurtling straight towards her, his arms outstretched and his face visibly distraught. Tears began welling up in her eyes as she, too, reached out her hand for him, clasping her fingers around his arms as he pulled her into his embrace.

Before the two could hit the water, Jae-ha pushed off the side of the cliff with his dragon-powered leg, launching them into the air to safety.

Once they were back on the ledge, Yona rushed towards them, her eyes red with tears and her face wet with salt water.

"Saya, are you okay?" The princess cried, hugging her savior. "I'm so sorry..."

"I'm okay Yona," the goddess reassured, running her fingers through the princess's hair in a soothing manner.

When they let go of each other, Saya turned to face Jae-ha as she said, "Thank you so much. I thought I was gonna die and- and..." The tears she had been holding back suddenly began to flow from her eyes as she finally let out her emotions. "I didn't want to die."

Jae-ha watched the girl sympathetically. The girl who had given him so much attitude upon their first meeting now reduced to a trembling cub. "How could I not save a damsel in distress?" He joked.

"Yeah," Saya said, smiling brightly as she wiped away a tear. "You were very princely."

The ryokuryuu blushed at the sudden compliment since he had been expecting to get reprimanded. Being called a prince felt good but the bright smile the Fox Goddess had on her face made him way happier. He wanted to keep her smiling, he realized.

"Of course," he replied with a smirk. "Anytime you need, I'll always be your prince in shining armor, RinRin."

"Pfft, sure. I'm looking forward to it."

>>>

awhhhh look at that, saya's finally happy to be alive with everyone. my child ;;;

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142 1 11
Haven't written in a year so the content may not be as good as before. You met him by chance at the library. You met him again at a bookstore. You d...
10.6K 296 15
A Kogitsunemaru x Saniwa story ------------------------------------ It started out as a bright future for the young sage, but no one knows how dest...
7.8K 108 13
You are a fox yokai and you knew a certain male fox yokai (Tomoe) when you were a child. Your parents introduced you two at the age of 100 (in human...
9.1K 522 31
Priestess Hisa spent nearly three months wandering the Kingdom of Kouka by herself, mourning the loss of her travel companion. On the day she decides...