Silver

rowena_wiseman tarafından

Sylvie, 16, sees colours, where other people only hear words or feel emotions. She knows she has to keep this... Daha Fazla

Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - now
Chapter 3 - now
Chapter 4 - then
Chapter 5 - then
Chapter 6 - then
Chapter 7 - then
Chapter 8 - then
Chapter 9 - then
Chapter 10 - now
Chapter 11 - then
Chapter 12 - then
Chapter 13 - then
Chapter 14 - then
Chapter 15 - then
Chapter 16 - then
Chapter 17 - now
Chapter 18 - then
Chapter 19 - then
Chapter 20 - then
Chapter 21 - then
Chapter 22 - now
Chapter 23 - then
Chapter 24 - then
Chapter 25 - then
Chapter 26 - then
Chapter 27 - then
Chapter 28 - then
Chapter 29 - now
Chapter 30 - then
Chapter 31 - then
Chapter 32 - then
Chapter 33 - then
Chapter 34 - then
Chapter 35 - then
Chapter 36 - then
Chapter 37 - then
Chapter 38 - then
Chapter 39 - then
Chapter 40 - then
Chapter 41 - then
Chapter 42 - now
Chapter 43 - then
Chapter 44 - then
Chapter 45 - then
Chapter 46 - then
Chapter 47 - then
Chapter 48 - then
Chapter 49 - now
Chapter 50 - then
Chapter 51 - then
Chapter 52 - then
Chapter 53 - then
Chapter 54 - now
Chapter 55 - then
Chapter 56 - then
Chapter 57 - then
Chapter 58 - then
Chapter 59 - then
Chapter 60 - then
Chapter 61 - then
Chapter 62 - now
Chapter 63 - then
Chapter 64 - then
Chapter 65 - then
Chapter 66 - then
Chapter 67 - now
Chapter 68 - then
Chapter 69 - then
Chapter 70 - then
Chapter 71 - then
Chapter 72 - then
Chapter 73 - then
Chapter 74 - then
Chapter 76 - then
Chapter 77 - then
Chapter 78 - now
Chapter 79 - now
Chapter 80 - now
Chapter 81 - now
Chapter 82 - now
Author's note

Chapter 75 - then

6K 294 23
rowena_wiseman tarafından

I had to fess up to my mum and dad as they were still paying my university fees. I was hoping to just tell my dad, but my mum was home for dinner that night as well. Dad served us pumpkin, ricotta and prosciutto lasagna and poured me a glass of edelweiss and pomegranate juice. They'd both stopped asking why Alistair couldn't come.

'How's uni?' dad asked, just as we started eating.

'Oh ... I wanted to talk to you both about that. I've deferred my course. I'm studying to become a mental health worker.'

Dad froze, his fork airborne.

'But ... they're ... blue collar workers,' mum said, finally, equally as shocked as dad. 'They're one step up from cleaners.'

'Sylvie, you've always wanted to do architecture. What happened? Did something happen at university?'

'No, I ... I just wanted to work in mental health.'

'But you're so clever you could be a psychologist,' dad said.

'Well, there's hardly any psychologists left any more,' I replied. 'Unless I want to do sports psychology.'

'What's going on?' mum asked. 'RMIT has such a great reputation. You've always wanted to do architecture. You're a privileged girl with a good education. Why are you doing this to us?'

'I'm not doing anything to you,' I said. My heart was pounding, I felt ill, I'd been bracing myself for this conversation all week, and it was going just as I expected. Black was charring the edges of my vision. 'I'm making choices,' I said. 'My own choices. This is what I want to do.'

'Since when?' dad asked. His face looked fractured, I'd really hurt him. It had always been him and me with our love of design. He'd dreamt that I'd do all the things that he'd only been able to lecture about. I couldn't look at him, because I felt so sorry.

'Since now. It's my life,' but I had no authority in my voice. It was only a whimper.

'But those people are dangerous. You're basically wanting to be a prison guard,' mum said. 'This is why they've been removed from society, because they pose a risk. And you want to work with them? You're choosing to be with those sorts of people?'

'They're not dangerous, mum. They're mentally ill.'

'Then why has our prison population decreased by 70 per cent? Because they're all in those institutions. Sylvie, what are you thinking?'

'I don't even agree that they should be locked away,' my voice was rising. 'Shouldn't we be caring for these people in the community, like we used to?'

'Of course not. What good are they in the community?'

'What do you even know about them, mum?'

Dad was completely silent, and his silence maddened me.

'What does Alistair say?' mum asked.

'Nothing,' I replied. 'He lets me make my own choices.'

'You're not telling us something,' mum said. 'I know you Sylvie. You've always had a strong will, but you've always been private and kept things to yourself. We can't help you if you don't tell us what's up.' Her tone was threatening and did nothing to make me want to share anything. All I wanted to do was get through the meal and get out of there. 'Is it Alistair? Lots of new couples need marriage guidance, maybe the two of you need help. Marriage isn't a walk in the park, it's hard work. Why don't we ever see him?'

'He works late in the city. It's too far for him to come here.'

'Does he support you in this decision?' dad asked.

'Yes. He let's me make my own choices,' I said again.

'What do you think of him?' mum asked.

'Don't you think it's a little too late to ask me that? Do you really want to know the truth?' They were both staring at me. 'He's a creep. He's hasn't touched me, but he's a creep. He's the worst type of husband there is. And you two ...' the world was now dyed in red, I was on a roll and nothing could stop me, '... you married me off to him. So why should you care now? Fuck this.'

I pushed my meal away from me and grabbed my bag from the hallway. When I slammed the door shut behind me, I realised I was not coming back again. I was totally alone in the world. Jarvis was my only hope.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

76.1K 5.7K 44
"I'm assuming that little speech was meant for me?" "It was meant for everyone." "But mostly me. Is it because I called her selfish earlier? Are you...
213K 5.8K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...
118K 4.7K 51
Cecilia was never meant to be...but she came. Her parents can't stand her; mentally and physically abusing her. Her father a drunk, can't ever hold a...
3.6K 665 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...