The Man She Betrayed

By mahumwrites

Is it fair to let a mistake define a person? .......... "Miss...?" he assessed my face with his calculative... More

CHARACTERS
Prologue
1. A Blast From The Past
2. The Unwanted Arrangement
3. Facing The Hate
4. Drunken Misery
6. Karma Is A Bitch
7. Making New Friends
8. A Sight Of Greek God
9. Incapable Of A Change
10. Put A Ring On It
11. Lunch With Mr. Dreamy Eyes
12. A Spoonful Of Pettiness
13. The Mystery Called Clara
14. The Vincent Brothers
15. Side effects Of Rain
16. Subtle Exchange Of Warmth
17. One Kiss, Two Kiss
18. No Place For Love
19. A Planned Mistake
20. How Not To Fall
21. Of Coffee And Club
22. The Test Of Self Control
23. First Of Apologies
24. A Gloomy Wedding
25. Back To Work
26. Ghosts Of The Past
27. The Tainted Memory
28. A Pinch Of Misunderstanding
29. No Second Chances
30. Betrayal For The Betrayer
31. It's The Alcohol Talking
32. Uncomplicated... And Boring
33. The Plethora Of Adversities
34. Elephant In The Room
35. Amidst The Laughters
36. In Sickness And Health
37. The Only Savior
38. Unlike A Responsible Adult
39. In His Warm Embrace
40. Caught In The Lies
41. Haunted By The Past
42. Once A Cheater
43. The Last Hope
44. Moving Out At Last
45. The Fear Of Truth
46. The Silent Girl
47. Save Me From Misery
48. Damaged Beyond Repair
49. A New Beginning
50. Pushing The Buttons
51. The Art of Cooking
52. My Better Half
53. Laugh Again
54. Kisses Under The Rain
55. Twenty Questions
56. The First Of Dates
57. Breathtakingly Beautiful
58. Falling In Love
59. Let It Out
Epilogue

5. A Date With Mr. Awkward

255K 9K 3.1K
By mahumwrites

Clara

Six years ago

During my last class, I got a text from Dad saying that he has arranged my meet up with Aaron Vincent and I was supposed to join him in the small cafe near my school for lunch. Once the class finished, I walked towards the school ground to tell Jenna Edwards, the head cheerleader that I won't be joining the practice today.

"Jenna." I called her name when I noticed her going towards the playground. She stopped in her tracks and turned around, dressed in the cheer uniform and her hair tied in a high pony, just like mine.

"Oh Clara! Why aren't you wearing your cheer costume?" she asked, plastering a fake smile on her face.

"I can't join the practice today. Hope you understand." I told her, mimicking her smile.

"Of course sweetheart, I understand. My mother told me about your Dad's company. Listen, if you need money, you can ask me any day." there was a hint of amusement in her voice, despite the pretence of sadness on her face.

"Sure." I spat through gritted teeth and turned around.

What does she think of herself?

Walking at a brisk speed, I reached the parking lot and trudged towards my car. The cafe was at five minute drive from my school. Once I stopped the car in front of it, I looked towards myself in the mirror.

My copper color hair was curled with perfection and the makeup was hiding all my imperfections. I was wearing a red pencil skirt paired with a black crop-top, leaving my navel bare. I was thankful for the gym sessions that helped me achieve the abs I can flaunt in such outfits.

After applying a second coat of lipstick on my lips, I stepped out of my car and sashayed my way into the cafe.

My eyes looked around, expecting to find a handsome man waiting for me but when a tall man with chubby cheeks, dressed in clothes that probably belonged to 19th century waved at me, my eyebrows automatically furrowed.

Hesitating a little, I walked towards him and gave a quick glance to him from head to toe. His brown hair reached his neck, framing his pale face. His eyes although beautiful, were covered with a set of thick, rimmed glasses. The shirt he was wearing didn't even fit him and through the white material, I could see the hint of a tummy. His brown pants could have been better if they weren't too big for him.

A man with poor dressing sense as my husband, no way in freaking hell.

"Hi, I'm A.. Aaron Vincent." he said and pinkish hue appeared on his cheeks.

So he blushes too. Great!

"Clara Avery." I said, ignoring his eyes that were zoomed in on my face.

"You're beautiful, Clara." he said in his deep voice. Now that I noticed, he wasn't bad looking. His features were nice and most importantly, he was really tall. But the extra pounds, those glasses and his poor dressing sense had ruined his looks. Tch.

"Thanks." I smiled, looking around to call the waiter. I ordered egg salad and iced tea for me and Aaron ordered a cheeseburger, which earned him a frown from me.

"Are you sure you should be eating a cheeseburger?" I said, more like whispered so that the waiter won't hear us. Aaron's face flushed again when he heard me and he immediately changed his order to Egg salad.

"So, what are your plans for your future?" I asked him, leaning back on my seat.

"I am majoring in Business." he said and I nodded.

"Well, I want to be a fashion designer. These strenuous jobs aren't my cup of tea." I smirked and he returned it with a smile.

"You have the potential." he said, assessing my outfit and accessories.

"Thanks." I smiled.

It was awkward because both of us didn't have anything to talk about. He was one of those nerdy people who liked to talk about work and politics while I was more interested in fashion and celebrities.

"You don't know Kylie Jenner?" I asked with horrified expression on my face when he said that he didn't know whom I was talking about.

"N.. No." he said, not sure of what should be an ideal reply.

"Oh. Well, that's strange."

Does this man live under a rock?

"Well, what's your favorite clothing brand?" I asked, changing the topic to his outfits so that I can subtly advise him to change his style.

"Um.. I don't know. My Dad.. Um...usually buys clothes for both of us." he muttered under her breath while staring weirdly at the egg salad.

"You are kidding. Aren't you?" I asked, cocking my head sidewards and when he didn't reply, I realised that he was serious. "Oh, well."

"Do you have any friends?" I inquired.

"Yeah. I have one, Crystal. But she is in London for now." he answered.

"Interesting. Does she work there?" I turned the conversation towards his friend.

"No. She studies there." he answered.

"Oh."

Then started the awkward silence again. Aaron's face turned crimson under my gaze as I assessed his glasses. He wasn't filthy rich but I was sure he had enough money to buy contacts. Then why did he use these ugly glasses? And can't he afford a stylist for God's sake? He is willing to help us with a huge amount of money. Why don't spend it on himself first?

God, this is a disaster.

...

"I can't marry him, Dad." I gave out my final verdict after telling Dad what a disaster the lunch was.

"You can't judge someone on the basis of their looks." Dad argued, his voice laced with disappointment.

"It's not just about his looks. It's about his personality, his choices, his dressing sense, his inability to talk without stuttering, his unkempt hair, every freaking thing." I hissed in annoyance as I remembered our horrible meeting.

"Clara!" Dad sighed, stopping me from saying further. "Just think, okay. Give it some time."

"It's a no from my side." I answered him while scrolling my social media account. He was staring at me with hope filled eyes but I was too distracted right now. My eyes were on Jenna Edwards account. She has posted a picture with his new boyfriend who was a celebrity's son. I was busy stalking her when suddenly, I got a message from her.

"You can skip the practice as long as you want. I have told the girls that you are having some financial issues. Our sympathies are with you. :x :x"

My blood boiled at the thought of almost whole school knowing about this issue. People who were once scared to look into my eyes would now make fun of me like they did with Ella Denver after her parents lost everything. Poor girl was bullied so bad that they had to shift from the city.

No, I won't let the same happen to me. I am Clara Avery, the girl who doesn't give up without a fight.

"Dad!" I called his name when he was about to move out of my room. He turned around and I felt pity on his condition. The dark circles around his eyes told the story of his stress and it made me more certain of what I was going to say.

"Hmm."

"I am ready to marry him." I said and his eyes almost bulged out of his sockets.

___________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 254 39
"You've become so damaged that when someone tries to give you what you deserve, you have no idea how to respond." He says taking a step closer to me...
2.8M 103K 45
Looking straight in my eyes he said "I didn't like the way he was staring at you." I bit my lips "And how was he staring at me?" Leaning towards me h...
9K 142 30
"I'm not scared of you, I'm scared of history repeating itself" I whispered out. He grabbed my chin to make me look him in the eye, "I didn't hear yo...
6.6K 215 12
"Aaron..." She giggled as I ran my nose down along the side of her neck. That's my favourite sound...her laugh. "I'm trying to study, if I don't st...