For the love of the game

By Nicolebooks35

What happens when you throw an 18 year old high school senior in the mix with a professional baseball player... More

Chapter 1 // ohh boy
Chapter 2 // charity case
Chapter 3 // midnight runs
Chapter 4 // Cody's P.O.V
Chapter 5 // long nights
Chapter 6 // Codys P.O.V
Meet the characters
Chapter 7 // story time
Chapter 8 // baseball games and panic attacks
Chapter 9 // sleepovers
Chapter 10 // late night convos
Chapter 11 // long nights and longer days
Chapter 12// meeting new people
Chapter 13 //
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 15

661 13 0
By Nicolebooks35

When we were under water you couldn't hear anything. It was silent and peaceful. We stay under water for a few seconds just looking at each other. He smiles and it makes me smile. Everything feels perfect and at that moment nothing else mattered.

Like all good thing though they come to an end and we both have to go back up for air.

Gasping for air we both come back up and find everyone looking at us.  Most of them are smirking and others can't control their laughter.

I look down into the water, suddenly feeling self conscious.   Someone pulls at my arm and I realize it's Maddy.

" you look great in that, you can keep it if you want, I have plenty of bathing suits." Maddy says cheerfully.

"Oh um it's ok I don't go swimming you'd get more use out of it than I would, really."  I shake my head.  I will probably never wear it again after today so it would be useless material sitting at the bottom of my drawer.

" girl, you seem like a genuinely nice person, and not some random gold digger that some of these guys have been with. Even if you and cody don't work out, and I hope you guys do I'd still like to be friends and so would the other girls."  She smiles and pulls me in for a hug.

"I don't think me and cody could be like that, I haven't had a good past with the guys in my life besides my brother."  I look down playing with my ring. Trying to make sure it doesn't fall off in the water.

"Seriously? Do you see the way he looks at you. I mean who wouldn't want to look at you in that way your gorgeous." Maddy stares at me like I have five heads.

For a moment I wish I could believe what she said I really do, but deep down I know it's not true.  So I just shake my head and look back down at my hands.

"I'm not." I mumble.

" you know what you need." Maddy says boldly. She doesn't let me ask what and continues
"You need a girls night out just us girls no guys, and no drama. We can go to a club have fun and just have a good time. What do u say." 

Honestly that sounds fun. I have my fake I.D, but I have to work, and I don't want my brother  to have to watch Jordan. Who's going to cook them dinner and make sure that they're ok.

"I can't I have to watch my siblings, I can't just leave them." I say

"That's not a problem they can go to the game and I can either have cody or Corey bring them back to our place until we get home. Come on it'll be fun, I'm not taking no for an answer." She gives me a playful look but you can tell she's trying to look serious

This girl will not let up. Mrs. Connor did give me a few weeks off of work because of what happened.

"Okay, yeah I'm in." I say giving her a big grin.

She makes an "eeek" sound and pulls me in for a hug.
"Okay so what are you going to wear." She asks exited.

"Oh I don't know probably just some jeans and a shirt. I don't have going out clothes."

"That's not a problem at all.  You can borrow mine or if you want something more revealing Mariana can hook you up."  She says smiling.

"Ok Yeah Thank you." I give Maddy the best smile I can and she swims away back to Corey. He opens his arms to her and she gladly hugs him and then looks up to share a sweet kiss. They are so cute together.

When you go out I'd feel more comfortable wearing a long sleeve and some jeans but I also don't want to be the party pooper and turn everything down like I did when I hung out with Jackson's friends. They would try to get me to wear the most revealing clothes to impress Jackson, so I did. I don't remember him calling me anything but hot. He never said I was beautiful or pretty, just hot.

I hated going out to clubs I wasn't and am still not old enough to get in, but because of his connections he got them to turn their heads and let me in.

We got drunk, danced and when other guys would try to put their hands on me Jackson wouldn't care. He'd be hooking up with some random chick.

He'd tell me the next day that I was too drunk and that's not what happened. I knew he was lying but I didn't want to fight with him so I let it go. If I tried to argue his friends would call me uptight and would call me a slut because random guys kept putting their hands on me. I'd push them away or try to tell them to back off, usually it worked.

"Hey you alright?" Cody says softly and looks down at me.

"Maddy invited me to go out with her and the rest of the girls, sometime." I say and look down at my hands

"That's a good thing...right? He asks unsurely.

"Yeah it is, it's just my history with parties and clubbing. It's not good."

"Well i can go with you if you want." He says

I smile and look down. "Well that would ruin the whole point of a girls night now wouldn't it."

"Yeah it would." He laughs

"But um I was going to ask you if maybe you could watch Jason and Jordan. I don't know how long we are going to be out but if you can't then that's totally fine I ca-" my rambling is cut off my cody

"They can come over after a game. It's no problem, as long as they like video games." Cody jokes

"They love video games, trust me." I laugh

"Well I'm free after our games. I don't really go out unless it's to drink."  Cody jokes.

He flashes me one of his famous smiles. The corner of his eyes crinkle and he looks adorable.

" thank you Bellinger" I pause  "for everything."

Cody just stares at me and I see his eyes traveling towards my lips and mine do the same. But I can't I can't let myself catch feelings for another guy. I don't need my heart broken again.

I snap out of the trance and look down at my hands playing with my ring.

"Uh I should probably get going I have to pick up Jordan from school."  I turn to get out of the pool but cody grabs my hand.

"Wait don't you need a ride to go and get your car?" Cody looks at me confused

"Oh yeah I totally forgot about that." Truthfully I did. The only thing that was on my mind was the way cody's looking at me.

"I can just call an Uber to come and get me go enjoy your off day you deserve it." I give him a small smile and go past him to get out of the water.

" I was enjoying my day off, Here I'll drive you it's not a problem at all."  Cody grabs my hand and leads us out the pool.

"Are you sure this is your only day off for awhile you should relax."  I feel bad about him driving me everywhere. He's been doing good this season and deserves his day off.

" yes I'm not doing anything for the rest of the day. I'll probably play some video games and pack for the road trip." 

" oh yeah you guys go to New York to play the Mets." I try to sound happy for him but truthfully I'm a little disappointed he'll be gone for a couple of series.

"Yeah I'll be gone for a little over a week." He says looking at any where but me with a disappointed look on his face.

"Well um did you want to get going."  I say through the awkwardness that surrounds us.

"Yeah let's go." Cody puts his hand on the middle of my back and leads me out of the pool. I no longer feel the need to flinch whenever he touches me.  His touch makes me feel safe.

I exchange numbers and goodbyes with the girlfriends and wives and say goodbyes to the ball players who seem to enjoy making fun of cody.

I change back into my dry clothes and then cody does and we get into his car and leave.

There is still an awkward silence between us and I hate it. I play with my hands in my lap trying to avoid looking up and accidentally catching cody's dye

" you should come with us." Cody breaks the silence.

Go with him where. Home? Out? I give his words a second to process in my mind. He wants me to go to New York with him?

"Where?" I ask having no idea what he meant by that.

He looks over at me with a smile.
" to New York."

I look back down knowing that I can't go. I can't just leave my siblings at home. I have school. And so do they.

I actually have enough credits to graduate early but I wanted to be the first person in our family to graduate high school and accept a deploma on a stage.

My dad had dropped out of highschool when he was 16 to join his fathers gang and when he met my mom he found a sketchy company that allowed him to be a truck driver.

My mother dropped out because she got pregnant with me. Apparently it's my fault she had to drop out. If it wasn't for me she would've gone far in life.

"I-I can't I have to take care of my siblings I can't just ditch them plus I have school can't miss that."  I ramble finally looking at cody.

"maybe next time." Cody Says giving me a small smile.

"We'll see." I say playfully giving him a smile.

We get to the restaurant and find my car still sitting in the parking lot. Cody parks next to my car and for a minute we just sit there neither one of us wanting to move.

" thanks bellinger. Good luck in New York. I'll be watching."  I give him a small smile and start to open the door to get out of the car

"Wait" cody says and just looks at me. His eyes travel to my lips and for a second I think we are going to kiss, but cody does what no guy has ever done.

He puts his hands on either side of my face and places a sweet kiss on my forehead.  I'm frozen in my seat and we just stare at each other. 

Cody is the first one to pull away and I continue to get out of the car. We don't say anything and just give each other a small smile.

I get into my car and start to drive towards Jordan's school with a huge smile on my face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.4K 706 16
Will distance drift Cody and Madeline apart? Or will it bring them closer? Completed December 6, 2017 ✓
15.6K 396 200
Everything took place dodgers stadium game when a group of high school varsity baseball team got invited to see the game stay after for Meet & Greets...
87.6K 872 28
~~Completed~~ You and best friend go to a Los Angeles Dodgers game and you end up bumping into Number 35. Is it a dream?
338 11 26
Madison is a shy girl who plays volleyball. Trevor is her best friend who is the popular guy and plays football. They both like each other but they d...