The Parent Trap {Jariana}

By kcxbello

Twins Avia and Emmi were separated when they were only a few months old when their parents decided to divorce... More

prologue
{camp walden for girls}
{whats everyone staring at?}
{poker night}
{the isolation cabin}
{the switch}
{meeting mom}
{meeting dad}
{dads in love?}
{confession}
{the jig is up.. kindof}
{jariana? or..?}
{dinner for four.. wait..two?}
{no no we wont go}
{camping with stepmom and dad}
{get the picture?}
{the long awaited chance}
{goodbye?}
{finally}

{trouble comes in double}

871 20 3
By kcxbello

Two horses, black and white galloped through the vineyards that afternoon. Jai was racing after Avia and the two were throwing joking threats to each other about who will win. They reached a dusty pathway and then slowed their horses to a trot.

"So, you excited about our camping trip?" Jai asked his daughter, looking over at her once they came to a complete stop over the cliff.

"What camping trip?" Avia asked confused - obviously her twin failed to mention that part.

"What camping trip? The one we go on every summer before you go back to school." Jai answered her with a look that wondered if she was kidding.

"Oh, that camping trip. Yeah, sure... I can't wait." Avia answered with a smile as if she remembered. She made a note to herself to berate her sister for not telling her.

Looking at the beautiful view, Jai cleared his throat. "So, Em, what do you think of Meredith?" he asked expectantly.

"As what, Dad? Your publicist? Your friend? Your..." she was cut off by her father.

"No, just - what do you think of her?" he asked, "As a person?"

"Oh she's...uh, cute, nice hair, good teeth. She can spell the word YOU - I don't know." she shrugged. "Honestly Dad, the woman's a complete stranger to me. Why do you want my opinion anyway?" she asked as if she already didn't know. The way Jai and Meredith acted around each other they were both headed to much bigger things than being just...friends.

"Well I'll tell you why, Em. Because believe it or not..."

"Race you back to the ranch, Dad!"

"Emmi I'm trying to tell you something!"

Jai watched as his daughter galloped away at full speed. He silently cursed and tried to gallop after her but she was already far ahead.

Avia could not believe that her assumption was correct and that the two were getting married. She hastily jumped off her horse and ran back to the house. Bursting in through the French doors, she paced back and forth starting a monologue; something her mother does too when upset.

"I'm in so over my head here. I can't handle this alone. I just can't. I'm only one kid." Avia started ranting her throwing her arms up and down in panic mode, dropping her accent completely. Miley suddenly looked around from the corduroy arm chair she was sitting on.

"Is there something you'd like to share with the class?" she asked a bit sternly.

Avia jumped up in surprise and clutched her bosom, "Miley," she said out of breath, "You gave me a fright!"

"I gave you 'a fright'?" her godmother echoed standing up and folding her newspaper.

"I mean you scared me. I didn't know you were like, in here." Avia tried to explain as she backed away from the intense look Miley was giving her. But she ended up backing into her uncle who just walked into the room.

"Everything okay in here?" Luke asked, putting both his hands onto his nieces shoulders.

"We're about to find out." Miley replied, standing up and walking towards the two. "You sure there's nothing you want to talk to me about? Like maybe why Sammy never comes near you anymore or why your appetite's suddenly changed or why all of a sudden you're neat as a pin and using expressions like, 'You gave me a fright'." Miley started to inquire the girl as she walked around Avia and crossed her arms.

Luke peered down at her, wondering the same thing. "Yknow Em, she's right." He said a bit worriedly. "You're sure you're ok?"

"You guys, I changed a lot over the summer that's all." Avia tried to cover herself, moving away from Luke.

"Ok, if I didn't know any better I'd say it's almost as if you were," Miley stopped herself in time when Luke have her a look and then shook her head, "Forget it - it's impossible," she said and started to walk away.

"Almost as if I were who, Miley?" Avia asked.

"Nobody, nobody. Forget that I mentioned it." Miley said with an assuring smile.

"Almost as if I were... Avia?" She breathed timidly, almost afraid about what their reactions were going to be. Glancing at her uncle to see his reaction, it was as expected, he was in complete shock.

Miley turned around in shock, before she could say anything, Luke jumped in, "You know about Avia?" He blurted, his eyes wide.

"I am Avia."

Miley took a sharp intake of breath as tears filled her eyes. Luke shut his eyes in shock. She was looking at her other goddaughter and lips quivered as the situation overwhelmed her but she willed herself not to cry. The moment was ruined when Jai burst into the living room and looked sternly at his daughter.

"Emmi, why'd you take off on me like that? I told you I wanted to talk to you about something," and then catching the way his friend and brother were looking at his daughter, "Why are you looking at her like that?" he asked really confused.

"Like what?" Miley asked with a start, "We're not looking at her in any special way," she blubbered as tears of joy streaming down her cheeks, "I'm looking at her just like I've looked at her for ten years. Since the day she came home from the hospital, six pounds, eleven ounces, twenty-one inches long. This is how I look at her... Can I hug her?" she asked and then went over and wrapped Avia in a very loving embrace before Luke started blubbering as well and pushed Miley off her, hugging his niece tightly.

"She's so beautiful, and so big." He muttered and Avia gave him a look that pleaded him not to say anything.

Miley dabbed her eyes with the back of her hand as Luke let go of her.

"I'm gonna go make you something special to eat. What would you like? Oh, it doesn't matter. I'll whip up everything we've got." Miley said in a choked voice and then walked off to the kitchen. Luke, seeing the look his brother was giving him, smiled sweetly.

"I'll go help." He mumbled, quickly running after her. Avia watched him as Jai approached her and sat her down on a sofa as he sat on the edge of the coffee table in front of her.

"Emmi, we have to talk." Jai said seriously.

"Okay, shoot."

"Ok, I wanna know what you think...about making Meredith... a part of the family?"

"Part of...our family?"

Jai nodded, "Yeah..."

"I think it's an awesome idea!"

"Yeah?"

"Inspired!"

"You do?"

"Brilliant!"

"Really?"

"Totally!"

"You do?!"

"Like it's a dream come true! I've always wanted a big sister!" Avia said excitedly and Jai's smile fell, a look of confusion crossing his face.

"Honey, I think you're missing the point."

"No I'm not. You're going to adopt Meredith. That is so sweet Dad!"

"I'm not going to adopt her. I'm going to MARRY her."

Avia leapt up from the couch. "Marry her?! That's insane! How can you marry someone young enough to be my big sister?!" She started pacing in front of him, completely distraught.

Jai just looked back at her totally surprised at her reaction. He was hoping to get something more positive.

"Comment pouvez-vous épouser cette femme de godawful qui est évidemment dans l'amour avec votre argent?!" Avia started to in French.

"Em calm down." Jai said gently.

"Je ne pourrais pas croire que vous choisiriez une telle vieille sorcière pour une mariée!"

"Emmi calm down!" he repeated this time holding onto the arms of his daughter.

"Maman est totalement un améliorer de cent pourcent que que la sorcière diabolique jamais pourrait être!" Jai pulled a face of confusion.

"Are you speaking French?" he asked after a beat.

Avia's face fell for a minute. Shes been doing this too much. "I learned it at camp." she said with a shrug.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Let's discuss this calmly and rationally..."

"Yeah, and in English, if you don't mind. Right?" Jai said, gently stroking one of her pigtails.

"Ok," she breathed out, trying to calm herself down.

"Sweetheart, what has gotten into you?"

"Nothing. It's nothing... Just... Just..." Avia took a deep breath then let everything out, "Dad, you can't get married! It'll totally ruin completely everything!" After saying that, she stormed out of the house leaving a very confused Jai behind. He stood up and noticed Miley biting her thumbnail and Luke rubbing his arm as they stood by a small window connecting the kitchen to the living room; apparently they heard everything.

"Don't look at us, we don't know a thing." Miley reprimanded as Luke nodded eagerly behind her, slamming the windows shutters to emphasize her point.

Jai squeezed his forehead - a migraine was setting in when he heard loud pop music blasting from somewhere outside the house. He went to the wraparound porch to see a bright red BMW pull up in front of the house and Meredith getting out. She walked towards him with that catlike grin etched on her face although it looked more like a grimace. Jai gave a small wave and walked towards one of the outdoor armchairs.

"She thought I was going to adopt her!" he muttered to himself as he sat down.

"Hi doll!" Meredith said brightly and made herself comfortable on Jai's lap as she put down her purse and coat.

"Uh, hi." Jai replied weakly covering his face with his hands.

"You look stressed baby." Meredith stated and cupped his face with her hands then leaned in for a kiss.

"How 'bout a martini?" she asked and took out a Tiffany box with a gold bell inside.

"How 'bout a double?" Jai said as he looked at the bell curiously.

"Coming right up!" Meredith smiled as she rang the little bell and the shrill sound made Jai's migraine worse.

"Miley!" she called out then looked at her fiancé.

"Don't you love it?" she gushed with a little flick of her head, "It's just what we need - it's such a big house." Meredith explained and Jai gave the bell a little frown.

"Miley!" Meredith nearly yelled and Miley appeared not looking too wild about the bell.

"I'm not help here Meredith," she snapped and looked angrily at Jai.

"Two martinis and make Mr. Brooks' a double." Meredith said sweetly.

"Please Miley? I'm getting a migraine." Jai begged and tried his puppy dog face.

"Ugh no, I see two pairs of perfectly functioning feet and hands. Unless some people have them botoxed too - in that case, they're pathetic. I have mine too and I'm gonna use it and go back to my writing - see 'ya!" she snapped and stormed off.

"I could not believe you let her live here and not ask her for rent or anything." Meredith pouted.

"She's Emmi's godmother." Jai explained as he closed his eyes in frustration.

"Still it doesn't give her the right..." Meredith muttered putting back the bell in the box.

"I told Emmi." Jai said changing the topic.

"You did? And...?"

"She went ballistic. She started yelling in French... I didn't even know she spoke French! I don't know what's gotten into her..."

"Jaidy - this reaction is totally classic. It's 'Daddy's Getting Remarried - 101'. I'd worry if she didn't react this way. Look, why don't I talk to her... woman to woman." Meredith offered as she got off his lap and went over to the back of the chair where she started massaging his shoulders - then started kissing his neck.

"She's a little sensitive about you right now." Jai muttered wagging a finger but smiling at the attention she gave him.

"That's why I need to do it. We've got to break the ice sometime." Meredith declared and then unbuttoned the top three buttons of Jai's shirt.

"Wear you're shirt like this. I like it when I see a bit of muscle," she cooed and stood up.

Meredith found Daddy's-little-girl on a wooden swing set a bit far from the house. She journeyed the stone steps leading to them in her very high heels and knocked on one of the wooden posts.

"Knock-knock," Avia looked at her, "Can I join you?"

"Sure." Meredith went in and sat down opposite Avia.

"Guess the news of the engagement came as a bit of a shock, huh?"

"Naturally,"

"You know I remember what it was like to be ten. I had my first beau at ten. It's a wonderful age. You start to feel alive and sooner or later you understand what it means to fall in love." Meredith gushed.

"Me? I don't think so. I don't even have my eleven year-old molars yet." Avia retorted.

"Well, take it from someone who got their molars very early in life... being in love is a fantastic mystery that takes a man and woman on a magical journey to a place..." Meredith gushed - again but was cut off.

"I don't mean to be jerky when you're trying to be all mushy and everything but I think I know what mystery my Dad sees in you." Avia said knowingly.

"You do?"

"You're young and beautiful and sexy and hey - the guy's only human!" Avia quipped, eyes twinkling innocently. "But if you ask me, marriage is supposed to be based on something more than just sex, right?" she asked with her angelic smile thoroughly not enjoying the way she had to grit her teeth and spit out those words that never did the woman in front of her justice though she enjoyed the shocked look on Meredith's face when she heard the last part.

"Boy, your father underestimates you." Meredith suddenly growled squinting her eyes and peering at the girl before her with an evil smirk as she leaned back in her seat.

"But you won't, will you, Meredith?" Avia said as her face took on an expression that no one knew Ariana had in her that she passed onto her daughters, her death glare.

"So what if I'm young and beautiful? That's not a crime you know! And for your information, I adore your father! He's exactly the kind of man I always planned on marrying. This is the real deal, honey, and nothing you do is going to come between us." Meredith said calmly but menacingly. "Hate to break it to you angel; you're not the only girl in Jai Brooks' life. Get over it."

"If that's the case, my father's money has nothing to do with it, right?" Avia retorted. That hit a nerve and Meredith leaned in so close that Avia could smell quite a strong hint of halitosis.

"You listen, and you listen good! I am going to marry your father in two weeks whether you like it or not. So I suggest that you do not tangle with me anymore! You're in way over your head. Is that clear?" Avia took the courage to lean in closer.

"Crystal."

JxA

It was lunchtime back in New York and Zac was flirting with the new maid when a fax came in. It was a picture of a dog with a speech bubble that said '911.' He looked at it curiously when he heard his mother calling him back to the dining room.

"So what took you so long?" Ariana teased her brother who was on his way to the table.

"I just got another bottle of wine." Zac retorted and his sister held out her glass. He rolled his eyes and started to pour.

"Oh, this is good! Nice choice." Ariana said drinking her wine as Frankie held out his. Zac's eyes narrowed at him but obeyed as his step brother smirked at him.

"May I have a sip?" Emmi asked and the four adults chuckled.

"I don't think you're going to like it," she said but handed over her glass anyway. Emmi swirled the glass and sniffed it - then she took a healthy sip.

"If you ask me, the bouquet is a little too robust for a Merlot. But then again, I'm partial to the softer Melbourne grape." Emmi reported and as Joan and her uncles chuckled Ariana looked at her daughter curiously. Jai was also more partial to the softer Melbourne grape.

"Son, would you mind pouring me a glass too?" Joan asked and Zac obeyed. As he bent a bit to pour, Emmi saw the paper with the drawing of her dog. Her uncle was leaning back up and the paper was disappearing. Emmi bent so low she fell from her chair. She shrieked slightly as she made contact with the hardwood floor. Zac gasped and Ariana and Frankie stood up worriedly.

"Honey are you okay?" she asked as Emmi stood up and brushed herself off.

"Had one too many sips I guess. You know, Mom, I feel like I could use a bit of fresh air. Would it be okay if I stepped outside for a moment?" Emmi replied.

"Of course. Are you okay? Would you like me to come with you?" Ariana continued asking, her eyes filled with concern.

"No, no. I'll be fine... Just got a touch woozy, that's all." Emmi said and then tried not to bolt out of the door.

Frankie watched his niece closely as the rest went back to their lunch. Woozy, he pondered.

Emmi rushed to the nearest payphone which was at the park a few blocks from her house and hurriedly dialled for a collect call to Melbourne. Avia, who had been waiting for her call, rushed to the phone as soon as she heard the first ring.

"Hello? Yes, I'll accept the charges. Emmi, thank goodness you got my fax. I'm absolutely desperate." Avia said into the phone.

"What's up? Why the 911?"

"Dad's getting married." Emmi laughed.

"Whaddya mean, getting married?"

"I mean black tie, white gown, the whole enchilada. The wedding's in two weeks so, if there's any hope of getting Mom and Dad back together, we've got to do it fast. And I mean really fast" Avia nearly yelled out of frustration.

"Okay, Mom and I are going to the theatre tonight so I'll drop the bomb on her first thing in the morning." Emmi said not noticing the man who stood in front of the door of the phone booth.

"Ok, thanks. And Emmi, hurry." Avia said as she put the phone down.

"Ok I will." Emmi was so caught up with what just happened that she bumped the waiting man.

"Oh excuse me," she turned to apologize and her eyes widened in surprise when she saw that it was her uncle.

"Uh-oh..."

"Uh-oh." Frankie echoed with a merry twinkle in his eyes, "What say you and I take a little stroll in the park, eh young lady?" he asked and he put out his arm for her.

"Ok..." Emmi said weakly and linked her arm through his.

"C'mon, what's this all about?" Frankie asked.

"Well it's a long story..."

"Well it's a very big park and we've got plenty of time..."

JxA

the French translation:

"Comment pouvez-vous épouser cette femme de godawful qui est évidemment dans l'amour avec votre argent?! Je ne pourrais pas croire que vous choisiriez une telle vieille sorcière pour une mariée!

Maman est totalement un améliorer de cent pourcent que que la sorcière diabolique jamais pourrait être!"

Translation:

"How can you marry this woman of godawful that is evidently in the love with your money?! I could not believe that you would choose a such a witch for a bride! Mom is totally hundred percent better than that the devilish witch ever could be!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.1K 1.1K 31
Jai Brooks; Captain of the football team. Most popular guy in school. Every guys hero and every girls dream. He's dating the most popular girl in sch...
162K 5.3K 20
Twins Punky and Penny were separated when they were only a few months old when their parents decided to divorce. Each took one child. Lauren took Pun...
53.2K 1.1K 79
Ariana's mom moves to boca, Frankie is on tour, the Janoskians stay with her still they find a house in L.A, and ariana might be pregnant? Wait what...
61.5K 2.3K 28
Jai has lived with his dad for as long as he can remember. But his dad doesn't even deserve that label with the way he treats him. Luke has lived wi...