Song Of The Guardians

By SongAngel

Ten years after the fall of Voldemort, Harry and his friends try to lead normal lives. They make some new fr... More

Back At Hogwarts
Arcanus
The First Meeting
The First Mission
Revelation
The Guardians
Let The Games Begin
Something's Brewing
Playing Cupid
Under The Influence
What's A Little Groping Between Friends?
A Little Change
Not-So-Secret Admirer
Luna Sees All
The First Wave
Rest In Peace
Snape Doesn't Cuddle... Usually
Just A Little Kiss
Moving Forward
Into The Skies
Unhappy Birthday Invitation
Show Stopper
An Acceptable Agreement
Turn Up The Heat
Performance And Reproduction
Face To Face
Diversion
Awaken
Changes
A Christmas To Remember
Wedded Bless
Breakthrough
Harbingers
Becoming Legendary
This Could Get Awkward
Skirmish
Working It All Out
The Pledge
Taking The Leap
Metamorphosis
Subterfuge
Battleground
The Interview And The Streaker

Voice Of The Soul

12 1 0
By SongAngel

Harry paced the floor of the lab restlessly. Hermione had very little time left and their chosen course of action was not a guaranteed success. She had been a constant in Harry's life for many years, and the thought of losing her broke his heart.

These thoughts were interrupted by a irritable growl from Severus. "If you intend to wear a hole in the floor with your pacing, do so in your own quarters," Severus snarled.

Harry stopped in front of the two way mirror and clasped his hands behind his back tightly. "Sorry," he muttered sheepishly. He looked through the mirror to see Hermione, sleeping fitfully on the bed while Cadence watched her. "What if this doesn't work? This could kill her."

Severus rolled his eyes. "It is not intended to kill her," he replied shortly.

"Of course it's not intended to," Harry said, anxiously. "But this is new territory. She may not survive and I can't even talk to her." He drew in a deep breath to steady himself.

"Stop whining like a child," Severus demanded, sounding angry. Neither of them noticed that Andy had stepped into the room.

"I'm not," Harry retorted stiffly. "I'm afraid of losing her. That's a natural reaction for someone who isn't so heartless."

"Don't you have a wife and child somewhere?" Severus asked with a sneer. "Perhaps you should save your emotional outbursts for them."

Before Harry could respond, Andy moved further into the room, glaring sternly at both of them. "Knock it off," Andy snapped irritably. "This isn't the time for your petty arguments. You're both worried, you just express it differently." Andy gave Harry a look of pity. "It's going to be alright," he said firmly. "Go get your family so we can get started."

Harry left without a word, casting an angry glance at Severus. Andy crossed his arms thoughtfully as he regarded Severus. "I figured that you'd be the jealous type, but I thought you'd do a better job of hiding it," Andy said.

Severus turned away, gathering the vials that he needed and tucking them into his robes. Andy, not to be deterred, walked around the table to face him again. "Harry sees her like a sister," Andy assured him. "He's completely in love with his wife and is very happy. As for Hermione, she hasn't shown interest in anybody but you."

Severus sighed in aggravation. "Let's get on with it," he growled. "She will not survive for much longer."

* $#*

The Guardians waited anxiously in a flat grassy area near the Black Lake. Harry had set up a cot for Hermione in a spot that was within the protective shade of a nearby tree. Severus and Andy approached the group looking somber.

There was a popping sound and a house-elf appeared with Hermione. The creature had managed to transport Hermione from her bed to the cot without waking Hermione. Harry thanked the house-elf and knelt next to the cot to be sure that Hermione was alright.

Jenna had obviously changed Hermione's clothing. She was wearing a simple, white dress and her feet were bare. Her toenails were painted a glittering pink. Harry looked over at Jenna with raised eyebrows. She grinned and winked at him. "No harm in being a bit dramatic," she said giggling.

"Why are we out on the lawn to administer a potion?" Ginny asked. "Is this necessary?"

"Not for the potion," Caroline said grimly. "We're on the lawn in case things go south." She looked around at the others. "Make a circle around the cot," she instructed them.

Severus approached the cot, ignoring the people surrounding him for the moment. He sat down on the edge of the cot, giving Hermione's shoulder a gentle shake to wake her. She turned and blinked at him, her face creased with pain and her breathing shallow. He held the vial of potion and tipped the contents into her mouth. He smoothed her hair away from her face and waited. Caroline moved to the other side of the cot, looking Hermione over carefully. She checked the pulse, peered into her eyes and checked the coloring of her fingertips.

Harry ran his hands through his hair warily and then gathered Ginny into his arms. George was standing behind Sam with his arms wrapped around her, his eyes locked on Hermione's too still form. The others watched in various states of anxiety.

Luna gasped suddenly and clutched her head in pain. Caroline, Severus and Draco remained at Hermione's side while the others rushed to Luna. She waved them away impatiently, looking desperately toward Hermione. Her eyes were wide with fear. "She's dying!" Luna cried out.

"Calm down Luna," Ron said, smoothing her hair down. He frowned when she jerked away from him looking panicked.

"No," Luna said frantically. "The poison is clearing away but so is her life force." She looked at Severus with a pleading expression. "Save her. You have to save her." Her voice broke and she sobbed, finally allowing Ron to pull her into his embrace.

"Oh no," Caroline groaned. She was staring down at Hermione fearfully. Hermione's face was ashen and her breathing was shallow and rasping. "Severus, she's right. Hermione is dying. The vampire's venom was taking over her body, but once you got rid of the poison it just left behind the destroyed organs." She looked up, seeing that Severus had his head down, his shoulders slumped with defeat. She snapped her fingers in front of his face, drawing his attention. She gave him a stern glare. "You are not giving up now. You have more to give," she added quietly. Severus met her gaze with a sigh. The emotion she could see in his eyes broke her heart. He gave her a stiff nod, dropping his head into his hands.

Caroline rose and looked around at the others. "Make a circle," she said loudly. "This is your opportunity to flex your musical muscles. Focus is imperative. Follow Severus' lead. Concentrate on pushing your energy toward Severus and Hermione." She gestured for Minerva to sit with Hermione.

Andy had set up some instruments while Caroline was speaking. He sat down at the drum set while Caroline stood at a keyboard. Sam and Jenna held electric guitars. Caroline began to play, her eyes welling with tears in her fear for her friend. She smiled at Draco when he gave her arm a comforting pat and held up a violin. He ignored the astonished looks of the rest of the Guardians.

Severus smoothed down Hermione's hair and poured a healing potion into her mouth. He knelt on the grass and took hold of one of her hands. As he began to sing, he slowly moved his wand over her body. He was grateful to see her eyes open and focus on him despite the obvious pain she was in.

Hermione stared at Severus in disbelief. His rich baritone voice filled her ears and warmed her heart. She had never heard him sing before, but he had obviously allowed Caroline to train him.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Minerva helping her to sit up on the cot. Severus had taken a step back to allow her room to move, never wavering in his song. It sounded strangely familiar. She knew the lyrics although she was certain she'd never heard it before. She glanced back at Caroline uncertainly. Caroline gave her an encouraging nod.

Hermione looked back at Severus, amazed by the passion that poured from him in every note he sang. Her lungs burned as she struggled to take a deep breath. But, before Severus could start the next verse, Hermione started to sing.

Her voice wasn't powerful like the last time they had heard her sing. She winced and pressed her temples with her fingertips as her head throbbed unpleasantly. She sounded as if she were pleading with Severus. It seemed to work because Severus stepped forward and reached down to take her hands again.

Severus and Minerva helped Hermione stand up slowly. She was dimly aware of warm, soft grass beneath her feet. Severus took a few steps backwards, bringing Hermione with him. His eyes never left her face as he started singing again. He placed one hand on her chest just below her throat and she could feel it grow warm. The sensation was soothing and she noticed that within seconds she seemed to be able to take a breath more easily.

The pair stopped singing and listened as the Guardians took up the song. The sound of Draco's violin brought tears to Hermione's eyes. Severus had moved his hands to Hermione's stomach and the warm feeling returned. She felt slight vibrations from the ground up through her feet. She noticed that many of the Guardians were barefoot as well. Hermione could feel her strength returning as she and Severus rejoined the song, the intensity rising. His hands cradled her head for a moment before he ran them down her arms to grasp her hands again.

The final notes rang in the air and Hermione's knees buckled. Severus caught her and looked her over, relieved to see that she looked much better. He looked up and met Harry's eyes. "She is fine. She's just tired."

Everyone crowded close, many with tearful sighs of relief. A house-elf was summoned and it transported Hermione to her quarters. Severus sighed and then swiftly left the group in a swirl of black robes, followed by Andy.

Caroline, Draco and Harry went to Hermione's quarters immediately, eager to see her. She had been tucked into her bed like a child. Harry nearly crushed her in a tight hug. "I thought I was going to lose you," he murmured.

Hermione gave him a tired smile and squeezed his hand affectionately. Then she looked at Caroline with a puzzled expression. "How did I know that song?" she asked. "I don't remember hearing it before."

"You've heard it," Caroline assured her with a grin. "We were afraid that you wouldn't survive so we all decided to plan for the worst. The song was selected ahead of time. Andy and I went into your room and sang to you while you were unconscious. We put our hands on your head and sort of pushed the song in. I wasn't sure it would work, so I didn't even tell Severus. Luckily it did work, and you were able to help heal yourself."

"Where is Severus?" Hermione asked quietly.

"I think he's probably resting," Caroline said carefully. "He used up an enormous amount of energy. Even when he wasn't actively singing, he was pouring magical energy into you." She paused and smiled. "He was amazing."

Draco nodded with a quiet sigh. "I'm sure he's feeling vulnerable as well," he said. "He's not an emotional person. I have never seen him like that." He gave Hermione a pointed look. "You do that to him."

Hermione looked down at her clasped hands, blushing. "Is he going to come see me?" she asked softly.

Caroline hesitated. "I think you should see something first," she said slowly. "I need you to fully understand what has happened. Severus really put himself out there, but you haven't seen the full picture." She paused, fighting back the tears that suddenly filled her eyes. "I want you to see what I saw." She nodded to Draco and Harry and they left the room silently. They returned a moment later, carrying a pensieve. They placed it on the bedside table and looked at Caroline expectantly.

Caroline touched her wand to her temple and then pulled it away with silvery material clinging to the tip. She lowered it to the pensieve and watched the liquid swirl for a moment. She looked over at Hermione and said "Come take a look."

Hermione stood up and shuffled to the table, her body still weak from her ordeal. She twisted her hands together nervously, hesitating in front of the pensieve. She smiled slightly when Harry placed his hand on her shoulder gently. "Why don't I go with you?" he suggested. He glanced at Caroline. "Would that be ok?"

"I trust you to be discrete," Caroline said with a tiny nod. She stepped out of the way, smiling when Draco wrapped his arms around her. Harry and Hermione clasped hands and stood shoulder to shoulder, carefully lowering their faces to the surface of Caroline's memories.

Hermione was startled to find that they were standing in the lab. Severus was standing over a cauldron looking upset rather than irritable. The Sirens and Andy were there as well, setting up some instruments. Harry looked at Hermione, his expression puzzled. "Mood music?" he suggested with a smirk.

Hermione frowned, narrowing her eyes suspiciously. "Surely not," she muttered in disbelief.

"I know you're uncomfortable," Caroline was saying. "Nobody is here to judge. We're going to work as a team. You're doing this for Hermione and it's going to work."

Severus didn't comment. He increased the heat under the cauldron and then gave Caroline a nod. Caroline began playing the keyboard while Andy started on the drums. Hermione clutched Harry's hand as Severus started singing. At first, he seemed to lack all emotion, but gradually that changed. Some of the tension seemed to drain out of his body. He added a few ingredients to the cauldron and then walked slowly to the two-way mirror.

Hermione moved closer, entranced by Severus' voice. She stood next to him and looked through the glass. She winced when she saw herself laying on the bed in the tiny room, looking weak and pale. She turned and looked at Severus. Her eyes filled with tears as she gazed up at his face. The fragile hope that was clearly visible on his face, left her speechless. There was something else in his expression that she hesitated to name.

Hermione and Harry watched Severus return to the cauldron and add a few more ingredients. He stirred the potion, singing the final notes of his hopeful song. He finished stirring and then set his stirring rod aside. The last thing Hermione saw was Caroline giving his shoulder a comforting pat when he sat down wearily, dropping his head into his hands.

Hermione found herself back in her room. She looked up at Harry for just a moment before she sobbed and he pulled her into a hug. Harry guided her to sit down on the bed, smoothing down her hair.

"Where is he?" Hermione asked through her tears.

"He's probably resting," Caroline replied quietly. "You don't yet understand what he did for you. Aside from displaying his emotions for all to see, he healed you using his soul and magic." She smiled at Hermione's startled look. "The music we create comes partly from the soul, which is why it's so powerful. Severus has obviously found the inspiration to harness this power. It's dangerous, and I warned him of that. There was a chance of damaging his soul. He insisted that he was going to save you." She sat down next to Hermione with a sigh. "I sent Andy to check on him to be sure he didn't collapse from exhaustion. He did that after not sleeping for two days."

Draco folded his arms over his chest and looked seriously at Hermione. "It's time to make a decision," he said firmly.

Caroline silenced him with a glare. Turning back to Hermione she said "His physical health wasn't the only thing at risk. In offering up his soul to heal you, your current relationship will likely be too painful for him. He obviously doesn't see you as a friend. He adores you, and I don't think he can stand to get pushed away again."

Hermione sat still for several moments. She could see Draco staring at her through narrowed eyes. She stood up with a sigh. "I need to go see him now," she said, hurrying from the room.

Draco watched her leave and then turned to look at Caroline. "Can we go watch this?" he asked with a smirk.

Caroline giggled. "No. But I do think we should go with her to make sure she gets there alright. She's still weak."

Harry nodded and led them out of Hermione's quarters. Draco closed the door and smirked. "Maybe we'll get to see her throw herself at him," he said.

"Sweet Merlin, I hope not," Harry said with a shudder. Caroline and Draco chuckled as they set off down the hall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Always By Selena

Fanfiction

19.7K 829 14
A psychic has been hindering the Dark Lord's plans and he's angry about it. He wants the person responsible found and brought to him immediately. H...
9K 322 30
Harry's searching for the Horcrux's on his quest to defeat Voldemort. Along the way his heart falls for Hermione but she is with Ron who is cheating...
103 3 6
Severus reluctantly returns to Hogwarts. He finds much has changed, not least himself.
244K 5.6K 29
Harry, Ron and herself find themselves in another year of Hogwarts. Hermione finds herself in a bad situation when she falls in love with Her Potions...