STEAM & SMOKE | 18+

By Nyx_ssa

[18+ only, Mature Content] "Stop looking for a fight, angel, before I handcuff you to this bed and leave you... More

CHAPTER | 1 |
CHAPTER | 2 |
CHAPTER | 3 |
CHAPTER | 4 |
CHAPTER | 5 |
CHAPTER | 6 |
CHAPTER | 7 |
CHAPTER | 8 |
CHAPTER | 9 |
CHAPTER | 10 |
CHAPTER | 11 |
CHAPTER | 12 |
CHAPTER | 13 |
CHAPTER | 14 |
CHAPTER | 15 |
CHAPTER | 16 |
CHAPTER | 17 |
CHAPTER | 18 |
CHAPTER | 20 |
CHAPTER | 21 |
CHAPTER | 22 |
CHAPTER | 23 |
CHAPTER | 24 |
CHAPTER | 25 |
CHAPTER | 26 |
CHAPTER | 27 |
CHAPTER | 28 |
CHAPTER | 29 |
CHAPTER | 30 |
Nyx Notice 2021
CHAPTER | 31 |
CHAPTER |32|
CHAPTER |33|

CHAPTER | 19 |

123K 2.4K 474
By Nyx_ssa

BY THE TIME I WOKE UP, Ghost had disappeared and the slight dip in the pillow indicating he had been there. I sighed, thinking back to our conversation last night.

"Sometimes it's best not to be known," Ghost said as he wrapped my hair in his fist and tugged slightly, giving him access to my throat.

"Why?" I moaned as he slid his other hand between my legs.

"Because the people who want to hurt you can't find your weakness easily."

"What f*cking weakness?" I exclaimed to no one. I hated riddles. Glancing at the clock, I decided to go and buy some snacks then make a plan to find out who Santan was. I walked past the vanity mirror on my way to the bathroom but had to reverse back. Decorated down my neck were hickeys, possessives marked where people could see them. I rubbed one gingerly and growled under my breath.

"Shit."

I had nothing to cover them with as it wasn't the right weather for scarves or turtlenecks so concealer was on my shopping list. As soon as I was dressed, I picked up my phone and was out the door. The sun was out and Vegas was wrapped in its usual heat.

I put on my sunglasses to avoid the glances of people passing by and looked for a store but I slowly stopped walking. I could feel someone's eyes on me and I turned to try and find the person but I couldn't spot anyone amongst the swarms of people. At first I thought I was being paranoid but the feeling followed me even when I went into the store confirming that I had a stalker.

Walking down the aisle, I picked up a packet of chips casually while looking around. Something told me that it wasn't Ghost that was trailing behind me as I wouldn't even notice the assassin. I turned quickly and walked the opposite way down the aisle, startling the person following me. It was a man, slightly taller than me with a baseball cap hiding his face. Dressed in shorts and a T-shirt, he blended in but I noticed he had nothing on him. No bag, no purse and no pockets. Which meant he didn't come to the store to buy snacks.

I pulled out my phone and found the brief conversation between Ghost and I. There was no number but it was my best bet.

MALIA: I'm being followed.

No response. Great.

I went to the makeup section, not wanting to draw attention that I had caught on to the man and picked the cheapest concealer then made my way to the till. The lady glanced at my neck and tutted with disapproval before accepting my money. In the corner of my eye, I could see my stalker hanging around the exit, doing his best to act normal but his body language said otherwise.

The likelihood of being kidnapped in broad daylight was low but I had no clue what his intention was. Grabbing my bag, I left the store, passing the man and started my journey back to the hotel. I listened to the sound of his footsteps hitting against the concrete as they followed me.

TAP.

TAP.

I sped up but so did he.

TAP... TAP...

The adrenaline began pumping in my veins and I prepared myself mentally to take him down but the sound of someone grunting in pain made me turn. The man in the cap was no where to be seen and I wasn't going to find him.

Warily, I went back to the hotel, not relaxing until I locked the door. I sighed in relief as I leaned against the wall. My phone vibrated in my pocket, making me flinch before pulling it out and stare at the screen.

UNKNOWN: He's been dealt with. Keep your phone on you.

I didn't bother replying, knowing Ghost wouldn't respond. I could only imagine what he had done to the stalker and murder wasn't off the table. Settling on the couch, I ripped open my bag of chips and went over what I had found out.

Ghost worked for Santan and they were both involved in Sinners. De Vil was a weapon dealer who was thought to be dead but actually is alive and works with Sinners due to some debt. Clayton, Isiah and Kroft were all pawns in whatever game Ghost was playing.

So I knew nothing.

I exhaled, frustrated. Ghost needed something and De Vil had something to do with it.

"All I'm looking for is a transfer between De Vil and a certain man."

I guessed that there was another person involved who controlling things or the cause. Ghost was no help either, due to the trust issues between us which is why Harry needed to find De Vil before he disappears. He seemed to be the only person who could give us the answers to our questions.

*****

My shift started late at night meaning the casino was packed. I squeezed past men and women in suits who were blowing off money for the hell of it and laughing as loud as they could. I walked by a table only to be stopped by a man waving me over. There were three men in total with two females draped over them and they all stared at me.

"Can I help you?"

The one who called me over had tattoos all over his face and his beady eyes looked me up and down. "Whisky for all of us."

I nodded and walked away but could still their gazes on me. Eventually, I was at a distance where their eyes couldn't reach me and I exhaled then ordered their drinks from the bar. I was on alert, my gut telling me that they weren't here by chance.

A hand curled around my elbow, forcing me to turn around to face Ghost. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Why do you have a stalker?"

"You tell me," I replied, trying to hide the way his voice affected me.

"He worked for Sinners."

"Worked?"

The dangerous glint in his gold eyes told me that my stalker wasn't breathing any more. "I doubt they know who you are," Ghost explained. "They want to find out though."

"Why?"

"Santan," he said, gesturing towards the blond man who seemed to be frozen in place at a table.

"Is he the leader of Sinners?" I murmured.

Ghost laughed humourlessly. "Not quite, angel."

"Here's your drinks," the bartender announced and handed me a tray of whiskey. Ghost took it from him and placed it in my hands.

"Stay in the casino," he ordered. "Santan can't do anything to you here."

I nodded. "I need to work."

"I'll be in your room."

My cheeks flushed red as I glared then walked away without responding. When I reached the table with the heavily tattooed man, I set down the drinks and moved away to another group of people. An hour later, I was washing my hands in the restroom when the same two women from the table entered.

I watched them in the mirror as both flanked me on either side, applying lipstick. That's when the one on my right pulled out a can and began spraying it in my face. Holding my breath, I knocked it out of her hand when the other held me in a chokehold in the attempt to force me to breathe whatever gas was in the air. I noticed they had both put on masks over their mouths and I elbowed the girl who had a grip on my neck.

Adrenaline coursed through my body as my heart pumped faster, needing oxygen. I grabbed the girl behind me and punched then pushed her into her friend before running towards the door...that was locked.

Sh*t.

I screamed as my hair was pulled, dragging me backwards. Reaching behind me, I grabbed the wrist and twisted but the angle was useless. I was thrown into a cubicle and again the gas was sprayed. My instinct was to stop breathing but the more I resisted, the weaker I felt. I kicked the person holding me down, causing them to drop to the ground and I pulled off their mask then punched them. It knocked her out and I tried to climb out of the cubicle when the second girl slammed my head into the wall.

My vision blurred. F*ck my job. Blindly, I pushed her away and stumbled out of the cubicle. The world span and I gasped for air, clutching my sore neck. But she wasn't done. She swung at me which I barely avoided and I punched her in the chest.

"Who the f*ck are you?" I grunted out but behind the mask, all I could see was her glaring at me.

And that was the moment a needle was injected into the side of my neck. Time slowed down as I fell to the ground in defeat. All I could see was heels shuffling then my vision went black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

306K 3.4K 39
Enemies don't look at each other the way you do. !!THE BOOK IS GOING TO BE EDITED SOON!! After the problem she went through and escaping her abusive...
154K 3.2K 34
Meet Raven Night. She's 17. At school, she gets bullied because she's a "nerd". No one knows her past and she tends to keep it that way. During the d...
904 5 31
This book will contain strong sexual themes, mature language, violence and will move fast. He pulls me closer leaving no space between us. "We can't...
184 1 6
Death has been following me since the day I was born. You are losing loved ones. You're losing friends. It's scary when you start to lose yourself. L...