Soulbound [Sesshomaru x Rin]

By Cinnamon_Ann

A little over twelve years have passed since Kagome came back through the Well, and five years since Rin last... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four

Chapter Two

959 18 2
By Cinnamon_Ann

As I did every morning, I first went to kneel in front of the graves of the fallen. I offered quick prayers for the deceased members of Sango's family and all the other demon hunters buried there. It had been some time since she had visited, so I knew that as soon as she recovered from giving birth - her family would be on their way to pay their respects. 

Next, I fetched water from the well so I could wash, ate leftover stew from the night before, and gradually made my way around the encampment, strengthening the wards that kept the village off the radar and protected against those who sought to bring us harm. Everything was done mechanically, making it more difficult to keep my mind from wandering to forbidden subjects. Like that dream...

I grunted and forcefully straightened from my position in front of the last ward. I refused to think about that; I couldn't bear to let that pain consume me today. Last night was enough, and I could lie to myself and pretend it never happened. Denial was sometimes the only thing that allowed me to make it through the day in one piece.

Brusquely, I pushed my way into my tiny house that lay on the outer edges of the small village, changing quickly into my demon hunting gear. The outfit was reminiscent of the material and style both Kohaku and Sango donned, though my own was all black. Next to my bed lay my signature weapon: a spear with wood the color of ebony and spearheads sharpened to deadly points at each end.  It was a gift from Kohaku after I officially finished my training. He had enlisted the help of Totosai in constructing the weapon and I knew it was his idea in bestowing the spear upon me. He thought it was the safest option; it kept enemies at a greater distance from me but also satisfied my need for close combat.

I couldn't count the times that he pleaded with me to just learn archery.

The sun was high in the sky by the time I made my leave of the village. Although bright, the air was brisk and I could sense that autumn was almost entirely upon us. I enjoyed this season with its bold colors, chilly air, and crisp, clean nights. It made journeying all the more enjoyable and lifted the weight off my chest just slightly.

Reflexively, I skimmed my fingertips along the wood of my spear. It was strapped to my back, but in my hand it towered a good head over me. All of my senses were on high alert, but it didn't seem like there was anything vile lurking in the surrounding forest today. What a shame.

I longed to trek on further, but someone had to remain close to the encampment. If I didn't, and some traveler needed help, I could be the reason they died. I would not allow anyone to lay that blame on me.

It was high noon by the time I made it to my favorite spot in the forest. The small clearing was overlooked by a broad cliff face, and there at the base sat a spring. The water that burbled there was as clear as the blue sky overhead and remained relatively cool throughout the harsh summer months. I enjoyed the peace that the murmuring water evoked. Whenever my patrols brought me out this way, I always took the time to unfold myself atop the flat rock closest to the pool.

Now, with my spear at my side, I watched the little eddies in the water's surface. With the sun striking through the clear liquid, it reminded me of the bracelet Kaede had bestowed upon me before I moved out of her village. Currently, it was twined around my wrist, with the oval crystal embedded in the center. That crystal was like pure light, and sometimes it felt like I could get lost in its depths. I don't know why, but I remembered the day I received it like it was yesterday.

"Rin!"

I stopped abruptly in my tracks, twisting around to see Kaede hobbling toward me. Her swollen joints had grown more painful in the past few years, so I crossed to meet her halfway. Kohaku and Shippo stood at my back, patiently waiting for me to rejoin them.

"Yes, Priestess Kaede?"

Her face was grim and there was a certain light in her eyes that wasn't typically present. Gently, she took my hand within her wizened fingers and I glanced down at her quizzically. "Child," she said. "I have a small gift for ye."

I watched as she carefully removed a pouch hanging from around her neck. From within, she managed to dig out what looked like a bracelet. It was made up of worn leather, with a transparent jewel glittering from the light of the sun strapped to its center.

A small smile brought up the side of my mouth. "Oh, Kaede, it's beautiful," I murmured. "But you didn't have to get me anything."

Her answering smile was warm, like a grandmotherly hug. "Nay, child. Take it with ye and carry it always. May its power protect ye."

Before I could protest once again, she assisted me in twining its leather around my wrist. The gem winked up at me, burning orange in the oncoming sunset. "What power does it hold?"

Kaede did not answer immediately. She appeared to be searching for the right words. "In thy darkest hour, ye will know," she finally said.

My "darkest hour," huh?

That exchange still confused me, years later. But, despite it all, I never failed to carry the bracelet on my person. Her cryptic response made it all the more intriguing.

I froze. Watching the sun's rays play along the crystal, a ray of golden light hit it at just the right angle. It was almost sunset and now the jewel lit up with that golden hue. The sight made my heart skip a beat. I swallowed painfully, tearing my gaze away from the exact color of His eyes.

"Damn..." I murmured.

I was just stumbling to my feet when motion at the edge of the clearing caught my attention. I braced myself, gripping the tall spear in my left hand. I didn't call out, but awaited the trespasser to reveal themselves. Seconds later, a young woman appeared from the shadows. Her face was stricken with fear and her fine, dark hair was in disarray.

"P-please!" She exclaimed when she noticed my presence, tripping over her own feet. She slammed to the ground, skinning the palms of her hands in the process, and looked up at me fearfully. "Please! Can you please help me?"

The woman appeared terrified, but she did not seem to have sustained any injuries aside from her own clumsiness. Warily, I approached the girl in case this was by chance a trap. That wouldn't be the first time.

"Are you injured?" I asked, scanning our surroundings in case of ambush. Carefully, I found my way to her side and extended my free hand to her.

Hesitantly, she took it. "I-I-I am well. But it is my sister!" The woman peered into the trees behind her, as if searching for her there. "We were on our way to the demon hunter village when she collapsed in the forest."

I glanced up at her sharply. "The village? Did she need to be healed?"

Her eyes widened. "Why, yes! She has been gravely ill and we've been traveling for two days. Do you know of the encampment?"

"I live there." I slid the spear back into its place at my back. "Lead me to her and I will do my best to help."

The woman appeared conflicted, possibly unsure if I was worth making the trip back. But her fear for her sister's well-being won out and she led me back through the bushes she had crashed through earlier. Throughout our trip, we did not make small talk; I tried to engage her, but did not press when she only gave one-word responses. Worry and fear reigned in the silence.

The sun had fully set and night had taken over when we reached the spot where she had hidden her sister. I had finally managed to get her name when Aguri motioned to a dark hole at the base of a tree. I could not make out movement, but Aguri hurriedly entered the darkness without fear of what lay within. 

Peering through trees in the open air, I braced myself before entering the hole.

It was steep going down, but only for a few feet. Quickly, the ground evened out and I could just barely make out the outline of a form on the ground. Upon closer inspection, her features slowly came into focus and I could see the face of a young girl. Her skin was deathly pale in the darkness, almost glowing. That fact worried me and I instantly took her wrist into my hand to feel for her pulse. It was there, but just barely.

A flicker of light burst forth inside the hollow within the earth. Aguri had made a small fire and the shadows played curiously on both of the girls' faces. I brought my attention back to her ill sister. "You said she suddenly collapsed?"

Aguri nodded vigorously. "Before that, Hiina had been experiencing fainting spells and sudden fevers. We didn't know what to do, so we decided to come find your village." She twisted her hands anxiously in her lap. "We had heard rumors about it. But then she fell unconscious a day ago and hasn't woke since. I didn't know what to do, so I just ran."

As she talked, I ran a hand over her forehead. It was cool to the touch, which was alarming. If I hadn't been able to feel her pulse, I would have said she was already dead. Be that as it may, I rested one hand on top of the other upon Hiina's chest.

"What are you doing?" Aguri whispered, huddling closer to me and her sister.

"Shhh..." I hushed. "I am centering myself. I must find the cause behind her illness."

The girl said something else, but I blocked her out. All I focused on was the gentle rise and fall of her chest as she breathed. In...out...

I hadn't been taught this by Kagome or Kaede; this was something I had learned I was capable of all on my own. I figured it was a result of having been brought back from the dead more than once, however I had never divulged the details to anyone. This did assist in my helping the deathly ill and those close to death. I was able to see how near to the end they really were, and either bring them back as close to life as possible - or ease them as painlessly as possible into the afterlife.

But now, as I scanned her body, I could not find even a trace of her soul. There was nothing there except an empty shell, slowing pumping lifeless breaths with each beat of her heart. I had never encountered such a thing, and the chill that slid down my spine left a cold stone in the pit of my stomach.

"Rin, is something wrong?"

I blinked my eyes rapidly and looked to the girl at my side. She was staring at me inquisitively, all traces of her earlier fear gone. Slowly, the smallest smile graced her lips.

I didn't tell her my name.

"Brother - now!"

I didn't even have a chance to move for my spear before "Aguri" took my arms and pinned them to my sides. We turned and I was faced with something that was made of pure shadow. Within the face of the shadow lay two eyes of the brightest blue. They were only slits of light but they seemed to peer into my very soul.

There was a flash from the shadow figure and I looked down in time to see his hand disappear inside my chest. Immediately, my entire body froze and tremors ran down my limbs. The sensation of his hand inside me was like ice clutching my heart, squeezing the warmth from the organ. With each passing second, a numbness slowly began to wind itself through my veins.

I would have fallen if I hadn't been being held up. My knees were weak; I couldn't even feel them. Little by little, even my vision was failing me. Then - the most excruciating pain erupted throughout my body. It was like my insides were being scraped out by a knife. I had just enough of my sight left to see a white light being extricated from my chest.

Then - all went black. I could no longer see that light, or the shadow looming above me. I couldn't even feel "Aguri" wrapped around my body.

Despite my lids falling shut, I could still see shimmers of white. It was like when the sun blinded you and its light was emblazoned in streaks behind your eyelids. But in the moments before I was completely lost, the white light coalesced into long hair. The white hair was swaying in a breeze as he walked, framed by strong shoulders and the fur he always kept at his side. He turned to look at me, his eyes golden like that jewel at sunset.

I never got to tell him goodbye, I realized. I never got the chance to tell him how much he meant to me. But...farewell, Lord Sesshomaru.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 4.5K 48
matilda styles, will you be my valentine? (please reject me so i can move on) โ‹† หš๏ฝกโ‹†เญจ๐Ÿ’Œเญงโ‹† หš๏ฝกโ‹† IN WHICH christopher sturniolo falls for nepo baby or...
113K 6.2K 38
โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค *โ‹†โ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ค ๐ข'๐ ๐ฉ๐š๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐ฎ๐ฉ ๐š ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐ž๐ž ๐ญ๐ซ๐ข๐ฉ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ข๐ญ๐š๐ฅ๐ฒ? ๐ข ๐ฅ๐ข๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ค๐ž๐ž๐ฉ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฉ๐š๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ ๐ข๐ง ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๏ฟฝ...
907K 41.5K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
1M 55.4K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...