Surviving Gravity - A Writer...

By HM_Braverman

Surviving Gravity: A dark comedy short story exploring perspective, society, and the quest for survival. (If... More

Surviving Gravity (Final Draft)
Introduction | Writer In Motion
The Prompt
The First Draft
Self-Editing: Analysis
Self-Editing: Line Edits
Thought Process & Research
The Second Draft
Incorporating CP feedback
The Third Draft
Final Thoughts

Professional Editor Feedback

8 1 0
By HM_Braverman

During this penultimate phase the 24 writers were split randomly among our 4 professional editors:

Jeni Chappelle | Carly Hayward |
Maria Tureaud | Justine Manzano

I was super excited to have Jeni Chappelle as my editor. I briefly worked with her before during #Revpit (a Twitter contest hosted by ReviseandResubmit.com to win a 5-week revision on your manuscript for free from a participating editor) where she gave me feedback on my submission because I was on her shortlist. Afterward I bought her Query/Synopsis/First 50 page review package.

I've really enjoyed her editing style and was interested to see how she would critique/edit my short story.

Needless to say she had some very poignant questions and suggestions - apart from some minor line and copy edits - that got me thinking about my characters more deeply.

The comment below really forced me to take another look at crafting consistency in my characterization.

I must have rewritten 5 sentences about 30 times before I felt like I got it right.

At least I think I got it write, I mean rite, I mean ... right...?

I definitely got to the point at midnight after editing for 3 hrs where I was unsure what words meant anymore.

I also really appreciated how she commented on the areas she liked as well. Being compared to Terry Pratchett and Douglass Adams is my dream, so mission accomplished. 🙌

#winning

After incorporating Jeni's edits, I had a good bit of insomnia. Then I let it sit for a day, and finally, today, just moments ago, I did my final self-editing. This consisted of throwing it into Grammarly (I highly recommend it) and going through the story with a fine-tooth comb - checking each word to make sure it was both necessary and the correct word for what I wanted to say.

At the end of it I kind of felt like I had become a victim of gravity.

But I survived the editing process.
And so will you.

Surviving Gravity - the final draft is back at the very front of this book for reference.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

255K 575 21
TOM KAULITZ SMUT
28.8M 915K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
91.8K 302 23
fetish ဖြစ်တာတွေ ချက်ဖြစ်ခဲ့တဲ့ roleplay တွေ α€α€€α€šα€Ία€–α€Όα€…α€Ία€–α€°α€Έα€α€²α€·α€α€¬α€œα€±α€Έα€α€½α€± တချို့က α€€α€­ α€…α€­α€α€Ία€€α€°α€Έα€šα€‰α€Ία€α€¬α€–α€Όα€…α€Ία€žα€œα€­α€― တချို့က α€€α€­ α€α€€α€šα€Ία€œα€―α€•α€Ία€α€»α€„α€Ία€α€¬ တချို့က α€€α€­α€–α€Όα€…α€Ία€α€²α€·α€α€¬α€œ...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...