The Antagonist [ A lord of th...

By artalicous

Awarthrie was the only child of Kili and Tauriel, raised by Glóin. She hates the shinny pointy eared tree-hug... More

Act 1: Prologue
Act 2: Imladris
Act 3: One foe closer - One friend farther
Act 5: The trap
Act 6: Unexpected behavior
Act7: A talk between Lords
Act: 8 A quest... what quest?
Act 9: The departure from Rivendell
Act 10: Nothing is as is
Act 11: Rescued by the Foe
Act 12: Lothlórien
Act 13: The Unchaste
Act 14: False-impressions & Heartache
Act 15: Silent whispers, and Silent tears
Act 16: What the future holds
Act17: A yak in the dawn
Act 18: Unbearable Truths
Act19: Enslaved
Act 20: Free at last
Act 21: Returning to Imladris
Act 22: Healing wards
Act 23: A truce
Act 24: Thranduil
Act 25: Farewell to Imladris
Act 26: Namaarie

Act 4: Consequences

1.8K 38 8
By artalicous

Rivendell - Training Grounds - 30 August 3018

Tap ~ Tap!

Strong arms captured thin and locked their owner into submission. 'Now what would follow?' such a low act he had ever seen. The lowest stroke came from his Kin because Awarthrie was his Kin. His reaction slow. Before the dwarf managed to speak a word of defense or apology, the Elf stepped in front of them. Blue eyes were threatening brown.

"What are you..." he found the urge to strike the short woman with violence "...an Orc!" Silence. More silence, while everyone was watching the prince demanding the reasons behind her actions. The attacker was silent. "Assaulting their prey behind their backs. Deed of cowards and ill creatures." Legolas said dryly.

Awarthrie remained still, ignoring the elf that was staring at her. His words meant nothing to her. Her blood was still boiling. 'Anger!' She was hiding so much anger inside her. If Gimli were not preventing her, she would strike him again. Her eyes clouded in range, and her eyelashes fluttered absentmindedly.

"You are still young!" Legolas said in a clipped tone, "You do not know much of the world. I will blame the cause of your actions there."

"Mylord, are you hurt?" the first guard questioned in disbelief of the woman's deal.

"It'll take more than that to take down Legolas," Elladan answered, resting his hand against Legolas's shoulders.

The ellon hid his smiles after hearing his friend's words. "There is nothing to worry about!" Legolas ensured the guard, "I wish this would stay as is. An insignificant accident." he claimed. "It is not worth further worry!" his last words hit strongly. Those were the words of a prince, demanding, and solid—a close image of Thranduil.

"As you wish, Mylord!" the guard answered.

Meanwhile, Elladan was examined Legolas' arm. He leaned close to him and whispered, "You're Not the least bit curious to cause some troubles?" He shook his head with a smile at the rather stubborn girl who had just inflicted the wound to his dear friend's arm.

"None whatsoever!" his answer came quick, as his gaze upon his friend.

"You wouldn't want to find more on the subject, would you?" quipped Elladan, a malicious glance on his eyes.

"None at all!" Legolas hid on more smiled "Do not let your father learn about this matter!"

Awarthrie fixed her glare against the shiny princely. Suppose Gimli didn't stop her. She would have his head. Guest or not! Now the damn Ellon treated her like nonsense and acted cool wanting to keep the matter a secret. 'Sly Elf,' the voice in her mind screamed.

Glóin's son pulled her back, apologizing to Elrond's children. Today he wouldn't go easy on her. They had taught her better. Dwarves could be loud, offensive, stubborn, and had many flaws. However, they knew about respect and mannerisms. But an open attack towards a guest had a heavy punishment even in Erebor.

Rivendell - Legolas' bedchamber - 30 August 3018

"Where is he? How bad is the injury?" Elrond voiced through the corridors as he reached Legolas' chamber. One of his men had informed him about the incident, and it took the Lord of Rivendell in a big surprise. All his long years, it was the first time he was given such disrespectful deeds.

A healer inside his room treated the prince's injury. The injury wasn't deep, but it left a mark. Thankfully there was no need for any stitches. Elves had the ability to heal fast, faster than humans and dwarves. In a few days, it would be gone.

"Legolas, one of my guards, told me a guest had assaulted you."

He should know better that eventually, the guards would report to Lord Elrond. Legolas thanked the healer and turned to face Lord Elrond. "It was a misunderstanding. It is just a minor scratch." he lied.

Lord Elrond rose his eyebrows smirking. "You grew up fine, Legolas. But you cannot place a lie without being caught." The wise Ellon took a seat on the long sofa that laid a few steps away from them. He gestured to Legolas to follow. Legolas sat next to him. "Sometimes, I envy your father for having a son like you. Both of my sons are praiseworthy Ellyn and warriors. I love all my children. However, they never read through the lines. They are not wise enough, even older than you, to avoid drama. And here you are once more preventing to trouble my house and my guests. Your father taught you well, Legolas."

There was no point in hiding or lying. Lord Elrond was a wise ellon; he could understand Legolas's actions and sometimes better than his own father. Indeed his father had taught him a lot. Legolas preferred not to remember the years he was trained. Some memories darkened his soul. Deeds that have been done, not by his own father, but his mentors and teachers. He was only a naïve elfin wanting to be as his father. Even if his mother was alive back then and Thranduil was not as dark and cold. They couldn't prevent the torment that Legolas suffered from one of his teachers for years. How badly it had affected the innocent child. Those were memories Legolas had long forgotten, memories he would never admit that happened.

Romru was the teacher's name, a dark, wicked Elf, that masked himself as a King's trusted adviser. Father of his dear childhood friend Nastedir. He roamed centuries across the Elvenking's halls and brought more darkness. At least his masks fell, and now he was banished for good from his homeland. Nastedir were permitted to stay, as they always thought he was nothing like his father. That was not internal truth. But that is a story for another time. A story that will unfold when the time is right.

"I do not fit half the description of Lord Elrond. The truth is nothing serious happened. I do not want to bother you with foolish situations like those. You already have enough to deal with. I can handle little problems."

"Legolas, one of my guests, injured one of my dear friends and a royal guest. What would your father think about this matter? I cannot let it pass without notice. There will be punishment and a long talk to our dear guest." he concluded.

The blond Elf smirked at the thought of Thranduil's reaction, "My father... He would be offended by my slowness, my inability to dodge a flying axe." Honestly, he was also bewildered as the blade cut through his flesh. He always felt secured in Rivendell, and his guard was down. "However, I understand, as the Lord of Imladris, you cannot ignore the matter. Have a long talk with your guest, but please, there is no need for any punishment."

Lord Elrond stood up and tapped his unharmed shoulder. "The punishment will be a fair one!" he assured Legolas. He walked a few steps away, ready to take his leave, as he suddenly turned and gazed at Legolas. "Out of pure curiosity, what was the main cause of our guest actions?"

"I declined to spare with her because she is nothing but a spoiled and stubborn child." Legolas was hiding a grin under his words.

"I see! Then she is half to blame. Maybe I was wrong; you still have a mischievous side!"

Legolas gave a genuine smile. "That was always part of me! I am a Mirkwood Elf, after all!"

"No! I am not going!" she hissed, stepping her foot down like a stubborn child. "You want me to apologize to an Elf. A Mirkwood Elf nonetheless. He is Thranduil's son! That Girly tree-climbing pixie!" Awarthrie outburst came in waves of anger.

"We are guests under the house of Lord Elrond. Awarie, you know better than that. You'll go and apologize to Lord Elrond and hope your punishment will not be as strict as ours in Lonely mountain. Because when we return home, you will be grounded for life. "

"Satthiye mushug." [You drive me crazy.] she howled, clenching her fist together. "Punished! Glóin, you lost your mind. They are Mirkwood Elves, and you are defending them. I am your Kin. Canning Bastards! You know what they are!"

"Harkulul! Nê azrali d' aklut nidarinkhadi! [Enough! I don't want to hear anymore!] You'll apologize to Lord Elrond and the Prince. We are guests at this house. Our personal's vendettas have no power in Imladris. There is darkness, war upon us, and Mahal knows what else. You were disrespectful, Awarie. I thought I taught you better than that." Gloin disclosed, resting his arms against his axe and putting up a straight face.

"Jalâdishi 'ala!" [I hate this!] she uttered under her breath, her veins showing against her neck, revealing how bitter she was. Deep down, she knew Glóin was right. Her actions were rude and insulting. "Two-face princess!" she mumbled curses under her breath as two elven guards showed up and escorted her to Elrond's study chamber.

"You'll let her stand alone?" Gimli asked his father.

"Gimli, she is not a child any longer. It is time she slowly learns to cooped with the world. Every action has a consequence. Awarthrie doesn't accept that. We have spoiled her enough!" he responded in a softer tone.

The dwarf scratched his beard, casting a serious gaze at his father, "Lassy lost too much, and half of the blame is upon Mirkwood!" he voiced.

"We are only familiar with one part of the story. Gimli, I am not fond of the Elves either. Specially Mirkwood ones. Their pride and ego stand higher than the tallest tree of Mirkwood. They had forsaken our folk when we asked for aid. They ignored us. Things may seem better after the battle of the five armies, but we still loathe each other. However, the past belongs to the past. We cannot let our young ones dwell in our superstitions and our detestation. The world is changing. And it pains me, Gimli, what the future holds. We took this journey for a bigger cause and aided it." Glóin stated.

Gimli understood both sides. Awarie was his sister, and he would not let anyone offend her. Especially not a Mirkwood Elf. Yet today, his father was right. And he hated to agree with him.

Rivendell - Lord Elrond's study chamber - 30 August 3018

Awarthrie followed the two guards mumbling to herself. "Damn! They left me alone!" Her words found to hold as her eyes met with Lord Elrond's, and it was enough for her anger to stop. Foremost she understood, how childish her actions were. She dropped her gaze as she reached the middle of the room. Her right foot was tapping against the floor.

"Take a seat Lady Awarthrie." the elf Lord gestured her to the seat. "Today, one of my guards told me about an unpleasant scene in the training fields. One of our guest's stroke and injured another?" he spoke, waiting for her response.

She glanced at Elrond, her face pale; suddenly, she could not justify her actions. Surely, she was proud of hurting the self-centered princely. But she didn't aim to flame her own kin. "I was wrong!" she admitted and dropped her gaze once more.

"I see Lord Glóin had already a word with you." he smiled kindly. "Look at me, Child!" he demanded. "I will not ask you the reason that caused your hand upon such an unfortunate deed. Durin's Folk are respectful folk, stubborn, but proud dwarves. I await equal manners and respect from you. Prince Legolas didn't wish to take the matter further. However, you owe him an apology. And there will be punished according to your actions."

Tauriel's daughter lifted her eyes and looked at him. His words were wise and burned the young troublemaker. He spoke the truth and respected her kin. A small smile rested on her face and the feeling that she could trust Lord Elrond. Yet, she could not confine with the part when Legolas was mentioned. She nodded in agreement to apologize to the 'shiny tree-hugging bastard.' "Punishment!?" she quizzed, tilting her head.

Lord Elrond was not a fool; he could tell that such a disrespectful act was hiding deeper reasons. Maybe Glóin was right; the young girl needed to spend some time away from the lonely mountain. "Today, your task lies to apologize to Prince Legolas. I hope you will find grand him a sincere apology. Tomorrow you will go and find Camaeneth. She will be notified about your duties. And she will guide you through your responsibilities for two weeks." he announced seriously.

Awarie bowed slightly, accepting the 'punishment.' Truth be told, that was not a punishment. She was assigned to help the chamber maiden. She was supposed to do what she did daily back at home. They did not have any maids in the lonely mountain. 'Elves were odd.' Yet, she could not complain.

"And In case one of your chores is washing clothes, I suppose those will be rinsed correctly."

She nodded lightly and apologized to Lord Elrond, assuring him that she would go and find Prince Legolas to offer her apology. 'News travels fast!' she thought as she pulled and closed the wooden door behind her. She pumped into Arwen on her way to find the stupid 'princess.'

"Lady Arwen!" she said, surprised. "I'm sorry. I did not see you!"

Arwen smiled at the new troublemaker of Rivendell. Silly situations were a daily routine before her mother perished. Her brothers and Legolas were the cause of many sleepless nights of Lord Elrond. She smiled in amusement, showing that she was fine."How are you? Are you in any trouble?" Arwen inquired of the young guest.

Awarthrie scratched her head apologetically, looking away. "I overacted today on the training grounds. I have to apologize for my ill actions to the shiny princely." the words slipped off her tongue without thinking. "I mean, prince Legolas" she corrected her mistake.

Arwen already liked her and her troubles. In those dark times, few silly scenes could brighten up the mood. "Legolas is in the Library with my brothers, or better, my brothers dragged him there to mock him. Let me show you the way." she offered.

On their way there, Awarie didn't speak her mind was set to calm herself down and accomplish her task. She had only to apologize and leave; how difficult could that be? Right?

Rivendell - Library - 30 August 3018

"Legolas, you fool, we always thought you wiser and stronger. You would win game after game!" Elrohir quizzed as he stood on the right side of Legolas. "You did not honestly note the flying axe?"

"It was a large axe, brother!" Elladan mocked him as he appeared on Legolas's left side.

Legolas rolled his eyes and leaned against the desk that was behind him. "How long are you going to keep this going?" he sighed.

"My dear brothers could torture you for centuries." Arwen interrupted as she walked towards them and behind her followed the culprit.

She scanned the area around her as they stepped further inside. Row after row of neatly lined up books with their spines facing outward, color-coded with dots, fiction section arranged in alphabetical order, history section, children's section with low shelves and floor cushions, comfortable leather armchairs and desks. The bookcases were made all the more beautiful by the raw bark on the edges. It brought nature into their home, a reminder that they were still part of the living world. It took Awarthrie a few long moments to turn her gaze and face the shiny princely and Arwen's brothers. She narrowed her gaze against the prince and pressed her fingers into a fist, trying to keep herself as calm as possible.

"This is getting even better!" Elladan cheered as he saw the girl who had accomplished what both twins could not for a long time.

"Awathrie, wasn't that your name, milady?" Elrohir asked her, "How are you feeling?"

"Awarthrie!" she corrected him. Her brown wide eyes rested against Legolas blue, and without thinking, her finger gasped for her weapons. But those were locked inside her room.

Legolas cocked his head, staring at her, seeking her weapon. He recalled the night before the short female silhouette that made the same moves. He was baffled by the young girl's actions. He raised an eyebrow and crossed his hands against his chest. A dark gaze rested against her as he waited for an apology. The twins gazed hyper like there would be another scene. And even Arwen could not hide her curiosity.

"I..." she said in a flat tone. She tried again, rubbing her sweating palms against her pants. "I'm sorry!" she murmured, and her voice blended with the wind. Apologizing to the elf was harder than she thought. Her eyes were on fire; her face looked as she had just crossed the path with something disgusting. And Elrond's children were not helping at all.

Legolas was determined not to drag the issue further. However, her attitude has slowly started to gain on his bad side. "About what?" he questioned. "That was not an apology!" he uttered strongly, and his calm expression was gone.

'Crap! That will not be easy!' a little voice span in her head. "My early acts were wrong. I'm sorry!" she repeated in a harsher tone.

Legolas gave a deadly look against her as he noted her hissing tone. "I do not see sorry!" he uttered, almost hitting his fist against the desk.

She was naive, trying to reason with princely. He would never let the matter drop. The twins were having way too much fun to interrupt, and Arwen followed as she was, after all, one of the group. It felt like they were young once more and were into deep trouble. A priceless scene none would cut off.

"My deepest apologizes, Prince Legolas of Mirkwood realm, son of Thranduil." she bowed and gave her fake apology, openly mocking Legolas. Her tongue was on fire. "I am truly sorry that my stroke failed." she narrowed the space between Legolas and her "Next time, I will not!"

Legolas stood up, his calmness long gone, now he was threatened, and he did not like it. He glared at the short girl leaning closer, grabbing her arm. "I want to see you try!" he spatted strongly.

Awarthrie sized him from head to toe; there was the pride of the Mirkwood Elves, the strong and cold behavior. Until now, he confused her; he seemed too soft and kind for a Mirkwood Elf. She did not back down; she lifted her arm and reached for his injured arm and squeezed it. "I can assure you! When the time is right, I will!" she hissed.

Legolas flinched under her touch; his wound stung. His eyes laid deadly upon the girl now. A thought crossed his mind that maybe she had more serious and deeper reasons for attacking him. Even in such a bad mood, Legolas could weigh his actions. He would not let anger cloud his judgment. However, he would not forget the threat. And no-one would want to have the Elven Prince as an enemy. He released his grip around her and freed his arm. Awarthrie caught his attention on bad terms.

"Apology accepted!" he said suddenly and withdrew himself, leaving everyone hanging. Today he would not offer a free show and let the twins win. He walked away, leaving the two speechless twins behind. His arm reached and wrapped around Arwen, and both walked away, smiling. Awarthrie froze, trying to adjust to Legolas' strange behavior. How could he simply conquer his anger, ignore her, and walk away?

"For a moment, you had me worried!" she admitted. It's been a while since she had seen Legolas's dark mood. And she knew how deadly he could be.

Legolas cracked a smile. "Children's plays are far from my leak now, Arwen!"

"My brothers will never forgive you for giving up a good show. You know that!" she smirked, resting her arm casually against Legolas'.

"And you already forgave me. Don't think I don't know you, Arwen. You might be the lady of Rivendell, but you are related to the twins. And sometimes, you are worse!" he laughed, remembering how many times when he and the twin were in trouble, Arwen found her way out.

"Oh, hash now! I am a Lady. Much older than you. I would never inflict myself into such poor games." she defended herself.

"Openly... never!" Legolas confronted her, "Yet you would always aid a show! I will inform Aragorn upon his arrival. Have you seen him lately?"

Arwen shook her head. "I think he will reach Rivendell soon. Gandalf has something to do with him being late." Her steps paused. "The darkness grows. You should feel it too, Legolas. Today's events were rather a refreshing break."

"It was!" Legolas agreed, "Meaningless nonetheless. Our young striker might really hate me."

"Hate you?" Arwen quizzed in surprise. "She doesn't like you. But hate is a strong word."

"It was just a hunch," he whispered, gazing towards the library door.

Arwen smirked. "Prince Legolas, you cannot have all the ladies on your feet. Eventually, one would not be fond of you."

"That's is half the truth. I can allow if some of them are not blind followers." he teased.

"I think you earned your first ANTI-FAN!" she laughed.

(( Next Act: 5 The plan is set))

she-elf: (s) elleth - (pl) ellith

he-elf: (s) ellon - (pl) ellyn

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Feel free to Review - Follow - Favorite!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...
39K 839 22
A LORD OF THE RINGS STORY: Eline, daughter of Lord Elrond has been kept a secret for many years. She is courageous and fearless, much different to h...
1.8K 44 11
Y/n is the daughter of Elrond and has been living in Rivendale forever. She never got to leave, since her father was protective over her. Until one d...
11.7K 150 26
What if Aragorn had a longer life? What if he was already married to Arwen? What if they had a daughter? What if she joined the fellowship and fell i...