His Death Awakened Me (BoyxBo...

By MrBriggs

How do you handle the loss of someone you care about? Jake has to deal with the unexpected as it turns his wo... More

Chapter 1: The Feelings
Chapter 2: Realizing Something
Chapter 3: Honesty is the Best Policy
Chapter 4: The Last Day
Chapter 5: Bang, Crunch
Chapter 6: The Aftermath
Chapter 7: It Takes Time
Chapter 8: Changes
Chapter 9: Falling Further
Chapter 10: Simple Things are the Best
Chapter 11: Broken and Whole
Chapter 12: Inquiring Minds
Chapter 13: Out in the Open
Chapter 14: An Excellent Idea
Chapter 15: Family Ties
Chapter 16: Feeling Hot and Bothered
Chapter 17: Stumbling Blocks
Chapter 18: Let It Out
Chapter 19: He is My Everything
Chapter 20: Big Changes
Chapter 21: Three Months Later
Chapter 22: The Moment Everyone Waits For
Chapter 24: The Second Proposal
Chapter 25: This Will Be Our Life Together
Chapter 26: Loose Ends
Chapter 27: Wedding Matters
Chapter 28: The Things That Hurt
Chapter 29: His Presence is Felt
Chapter 30: Thanksgiving
Chapter 31: In Sickness...
Chapter 32: ...And In Health
Chapter 33: I Do
Epilogue

Chapter 23: It All Feels So Surreal

5.4K 219 12
By MrBriggs

I sat on the couch twirling the silver band around on my finger. Ever since Sean gave it to me yesterday afternoon, I couldn't peel my eyes away from it. It was as if I wasn't sure if it was real. I'd close my eyes briefly only to open them again and still see it on my finger. Sean had asked me to marry him!! There is absolutely no way I can even begin to describe how insane this is. It feels so incredibly joyous. I'm all giddy inside and get goosebumps every time I think about it.

On the other hand though, I also couldn't stop thinking about the fact that Sean didn't have a ring. I secretly was planning on getting him one too. I'm such a cheesy romantic but I can't help it. I want it to be as special for him as it is for me. A slight grin formed on my face as I went over in my mind what my plan was.

* * * *

"Jake this is....wow. I'm happy for you son," Dad said, smiling at me as I told him about when Sean proposed to me.

"Thanks Dad, he did mention talking to you about it beforehand?" I said with a smirk. He smiled deviously.

"I may or may not have heard about it before," he winked. I laughed.

"I can't believe you guys kept this a secret! Normally you're both bad liars!" I said exasperatedly, waving my hands in the air and giggling. I was just so happy about Sean and I.

"Oh Jake it's so good to hear you laugh," he exclaimed, his eyes suddenly teary. The smile dropped from my face as he looked down at his hands.

"You know, I'm sorry for how I've acted," I said gently, my voice quiet and serious. He looked up, regarding me for a moment.

"You don't have to be sorry for anything. I understand," he replied, putting his hand on my shoulder. I nodded my head in understanding.

"Dad, there's uh....something I need your help with," I said, wiping at my face a little bit. He smiled. I motioned for him to follow me out of the family room and into the small kitchen in my apartment. He walked over behind me and took a seat on a barstool.

"What is it?" He asked curiously, looking over at me. I pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket and unfolded it, laying in flat on the counter and sliding it over to him. He looked down for a couple seconds before a huge smile took over his features, showing some of his slight wrinkles. My dad was only 43 and hardly had any grey hairs in his almost black hair, but small wrinkles were beginning to form by his eyes. "I don't think you need my help with this."

"Well, I was just wondering what a good place to get it from is, seeing as I've never bought a ring before," I replied as he returned his gaze to the paper in front of him. It had various jewelry stores listed on it as well as pictures of some of the rings they sold.

"Well first, which ring do you like the best?" He asked. I smiled and pointed to the picture of the one that had immediately caught my eye when I was looking online while Sean was at work the other day. He nodded his head. "I think Sean will like that one. I'm afraid I'm not much help though. I've never bought a ring from there. I think all you can do is just go off of reviews other people have left and obviously think about things like price and what you can afford and go from there," he told me.

"I guess that makes sense, I just wanted to know what you thought," I shrugged, fidgeting with my fingers. "I..I guess I'm just nervous."

"I understand being nervous, but just remember you don't have to be. He loves you and I know you'll pick one that he'll like. Just think of how excited you were when he proposed to you. That's all you need to know," Dad said. I took a deep breath.

"Would you mind coming with me? Sean's gonna be at work until at least 3 today, so we have time to go look at some. If that's too weird I understand," I said quickly. His eyes softened and he dipped his head to look me directly in my eyes.

"I would love to come with you! It's not everyday my son is buying a ring for his fiance," he said, a grin playing at his lips. I smiled.

"Thanks Dad," I told him.

"Let's hurry before Sean gets home Jake," Dad said, motioning towards the door. I quickly slid some shoes on as he did the same and we exited the apartment and made our way to his car. I could barely stop myself from jumping up and down in the seat as dad drove me to the store. I hoped I picked out one that Sean would absolutely love. I needed it to be perfect just like he is. I looked down at my hand in my lap and eyed my own ring. I decided then and there that I would get Sean an simple band like mine but slightly different, I wanted one a little darker in color for him.

* * * *

I wandered around and looked at various rings, some had slight designs on them, some were more sparkly, and some were plain and simple. I knew Sean wouldn't really like any bling. He and I were similar in that regard. The guy behind the counter eyed me suspiciously when I told him what I was looking for, but he obliged nonetheless. He was shorter than me, with longer brown hair and dark eyes.

"Is that all you're looking for?" He asked impatiently, tapping his finger slightly on the glass counter in front of him. I scowled, my eyebrows knitting on my forehead. Dad looked at me cautiously as if he didn't know how to proceed. I steeled myself not to let myself snap at him. I regarded him calmly.

"Yeah, I think this one will do," I replied, holding out the ring I had selected. He scoffed slightly, causing me to roll my eyes. I don't know why he has to be so rude, it's not like I would ever even check him out or anything.

After I payed and got everything settled, he handed me the precious item, and Dad and I turned to leave through the front doors.

"I didn't know gays had to get engagement rings too," he muttered angrily to himself. Unfortunately his voice was loud even to be heard by both me and my dad, who noticeably winced. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. He wasn't worth a response, I told myself. "Nothing is sacred anymore," the guy said louder this time to his coworker, a short girl with long black hair. I opened my eyes and started walking again and almost reached the door handle when I made the mistake of looking over at my dad. He was furious. I could see it written all over his expression. His face was so red I almost shrank back in fear.

Dad shook his head at me and turned around, facing the guy who was towards the back of the store. "Listen kid, just because you have a different opinion doesn't mean you need to go around being a complete dick to a customer. I could report you to your boss and file a complaint for such poor service. My son here has done nothing to you but be kind and polite. Perhaps you should think about treating others the way you want to be treated for once." Dad waved his hands around as he talked to enunciate his point, before turning back to me. 'C'mon Jake, let's go." We pushed through the doors and made our way back to the car. To say my jaw hung open the whole time would be an understatement. I just stared with wide eyes at my dad as he started the car and acted like nothing had just happened. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and smirked. "You don't have to act so surprised."

"But I am....I mean you just..." I stammered. I was completely in awe that my dad had stood up for me. I mean don't get me wrong, I knew I was his son and all, but it wasn't until that moment that I truly felt like maybe my dad really was okay with Sean and I being together. It really didn't matter to him like it did to my mom.

"You're my boy, and Sean is gonna be my son too. I won't tolerate people being assholes to either of you," he said flatly. I nodded and we fell into a comfortable silence. A little while down the road I spoke again.

"Thank you Dad," I said without looking at him. I swear I could sense his smile though.

"I would do anything for you Jake," He said softly. I smiled contently to myself at that.

We got back to the apartment and I quickly stashed Sean's ring in a safe place in our closet. I tried to find a place that was inconspicous in an old shoe box that was hidden that I knew Sean wouldn't think to get into. In fact I was pretty sure he didn't even know it was there as it used to be mine from my old bedroom. It had some odd trinkets and things I'd collected in it. Dad chuckled at me as I frantically moved some things around it, making sure it was hidden. I ran my hands through my hair.

"He won't find it right?" I asked, unsure of myself. Dad just chuckled again and shrugged his shoulders.

"I can always take it if you want," he said, attempting to stop laughing at me. I glared at him.

"Stop laughing," I said, grossing my arms. He pushed me playfully.

"It's fun to see this side of you," He replied. I raised an eyebrow.

"What side of me?" I asked. He shrugged again.

"You in love," he stated. I blushed and looked down at my hands.

"Dad," I groaned, covering my face with both hands and shaking my head in embarrassment.

"Have you got everything planned for when you give him that? I thought rings were for the wedding?" He asked, completely ignoring me.

"Well yeah, but most girls get a wedding band when they get married after they already have their engagement ring. We certainly aren't traditional by any means," I chuckled slightly. "I just want to make him feel like he made me when he proposed." Dad nodded in agreement.

"I get that. I'm so excited for you guys," he replied as we walked back out of my bedroom and to the family room.

"Yeah. He should be home soon," I said, checking my phone for the time.

"Well good luck kiddo. Let me know how it goes okay?" He asked.

"Of course I will Dad. Thanks for going with me. It was fun," I replied.

"I had a good time hanging out with you Jake. I love you."

"Love you too Dad."

After he left I nervously waited for Sean to get home. I was going to try my best to act normal and like I wasn't spinning around inside with excitement. I can't wait to see his face when I say what I have to say to him. I love him so much. I want him to feel just as special as he is to me. Just as I was beginning to grow anxious, the door opened.

"Hey babe," he cooed as he kicked his shoes off and set down his keys. I ran into his arms.

"Did you miss me?" He chuckled, pecking my lips and running his hand through my hair.

"I always miss you when you're not with me," I said, kissing his cheek.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 84 21
Thomas is a young male fighting for acceptance from his family. However, his family is heavily Christian and it seems they may never accept Thomas fo...
802 46 33
He's definitely enjoying the time of his life; he's good at school, a charming boyfriend, tons of friends, and yet sometimes he has that tiny flicke...
13.8K 666 20
When two uninterested people marry due to a uncertain situation , will that lead to a good future or the relationship become complicated. let's see...
102K 3K 22
A gay boy and his straight roommate, what could happen when one falls for the other? Gay romance/comedy. I mean I think it could be funny at times b...