The Trouble with Friendship

By DoNotMicrowave

When the notebook containing their deepest, darkest secrets is stolen, two former best friends must unite, de... More

Author's Note
🧡 Prologue: Alex, Alexx, Toil and Trouble
🧡 One: Cheese to the Freakin' Weekend
🧡 Two: So You're an Ass Guy
🧡 Three: I Wear My Sunglasses Inside
🎀 Four: My Truth Would Suck Without You
🧡 Five: Why Don't You Just Read Me in the Middle?
🧡 Six: I Ain't Sayin' She a Sly Digger
🧡 Seven: We'll Eat Friendship By the Ocean
🎀 Eight: Girl, There Ain't No Weird in "Team"
🧡 Nine: It's a Chapter of the Times
🧡 Ten: With You, I Dream Again
🧡 Eleven: Make Me Feel Like I'm Living a Tan France Dream
🧡 Twelve: Ain't it Fun Living in the Green World
🧡 Thirteen: Swing About It Somewhere Only We Know
🧡 Fifteen: Don't, Don't, Nirvana You, Forget About Me
🧡 Sixteen: Why Truth Great 'Til They Gotta Be Great?
🎀 Seventeen: Had I Known How to Save a Soda
🎀 Eighteen: Gonna Take My Questions to the Old Town Road
🧡 Nineteen: Is It Too Late to Say I'm Tangled Now?
🧡 Twenty: Shatter Every Lie Till It's All Blown Away
🧡 Twenty-One: Just Because It's Complicated Doesn't Mean It's Really Over
🎀 Twenty-Two: Had to Have High, High Hopes For a Tension
🎀 Twenty-Three: The Aunt Wants What It Wants
🧡Twenty-Four: We're Fallin' Like the Stars, Fallin' in Fault
🧡Twenty-Five: We Are Never, Ever, Ever Getting Friendship Together
🎀 Twenty-Six: Ooh, Baby, Baby, I'm Dancing with an Elephant

🎀 Fourteen: It's Just a Muscle Crush

2.1K 146 42
By DoNotMicrowave

You crush a lot, Georgie, so what is it about Ravi that makes him different from the other guys? You say he's polite and sweet and smart, but surely there are other reasons you like him. I mean, Owen, is all those things but you got over your crush on him pretty fast, so why Ravi? What makes him special? Sorry, I haven't had the chance to ask Hugo about him. It's hard to work it into a conversation without sounding planned or forced, but I'll get the info. Don't you worry. -Freddy aka Alex

Alexx gazed into the eyes of her co-star, Brad, and belted out the last note of the song, their voices in perfect harmony. She felt Brad's arm tighten around her waist in a silent cue, and she ended the song at the same time he did. They both froze for a beat and then let go of their intimate embrace.

The grooves around Randy's mouth deepened as he jotted down a couple of notes on his script. "Alexx, you were rushing at the beginning of the song. It's not a race. Sing with the music, not against it." He looked at her to confirm she understood. When she nodded, he went on, "And you need to be more expressive. Tonight is a love song. It's about desire and longing. Emote that."

"Yes, sir," Alexx replied.

Randy clapped his hands, and the whole theater stopped and listened. "Next, I want to go over the Officer Krupke number. Jets and everyone else involved, on stage. Pronto."

Backstage, Alexx grabbed her water bottle and headed outside. The sun shined in her eyes as she scanned the back area. Most of the cast were practicing their lines with each other while the crew was building sets. Over by the shed, she saw Sloane and Bri chatting as they painted a set-piece.

Normally, she would have rushed over, but things had been off between them ever since they found out Alex joined Keya's club. She understood their frustration. Heck, she felt the same way, but they were badmouthing Alex in a way that made her squirm.

Alexx ducked back inside, took a small detour to her bag, and then made her way to the small patio on the other side of the building. The shaded area had a few chairs and tables that overlooked a tiny park with a picnic table currently empty. She spread open her notebook with Alex and read the latest entry.

Georgie—

Sorry, this is going to be a short one, but I don't have much time to write.

That stupid drama club again. If Alex wasn't glued to Keya's side, then she was busy helping one of the club members. When did the girl have time to eat or sleep? She hoped Keya appreciated Alex's hard work because as far as Alexx could tell, her best friend was doing all the heavy lifting.

If this had been anyone else, Alexx would have butted in already and forced them to quit, but this was Alex Canterbury—Ms-I'll-Do-What-I-Want-Even-If-It-Kills-Me. The apocalypse could be coming, and she'd still be sewing away, prepping for that dumb club.

Things with Hugo are good. The only problem is we rarely see each other. I hang out with him and his friends at lunch, but it feels stilted. Awkward. I don't know any of them except Arlo and let's be real. The only time he talks to me is if it's about you.

Alexx's nose scrunched. Her? That didn't make any sense unless he was trying to dig up information to tease her with. But Arlo had to know Alex was loyal and wouldn't blab. Maybe—

She shook her head. No. Absolutely not. However, she couldn't help but re-read the line again.

The only time he talks to me is if it's about you.

Could it be...?

As quickly as the idea bloomed, it withered to dust. Arlo hadn't given any indication he saw Alexx as more than a pest and a charity case, which was fine. Great, in fact. She wouldn't have it any other way.

They see me as nothing more than an immature kid. It makes me wonder why he's interested in me in the first place. I mean, they're talking about colleges and getting out from under their parents' control while I still rely on my parents to get me from point A to point B. Makes me question what we have in common and yet when it's the two us, it makes total sense.

Be brutally honest—am I overly sensitive about this? I know it's minor compared to other things, but it bothers me.

Also, does it skeeze you out to be reading about my love life with your brother? If so, perform the obliviate charm on yourself and forget the last couple of paragraphs never happened.

In other news, things have been super tense at my place. When my parents aren't arguing, they're giving each other the silent treatment which really means they're freezing each other out and by extension me. I don't even want to sleep there anymore. That's how bad it's gotten.

I wish I knew why things have ramped up between them. It has to be about money, but I don't know what's changed. It's not like being in debt is new for us. If only there were something I could do to help.

Always,

Freddy aka Alex

PS. I'm glad your dad finally gave you a picture of your mom. Do you feel any different now that you have it?

Alexx set the notebook down, her thumb rubbing the edge of the page. A lot of conflicting emotions in her best friend's post. Did Alex regret things with Hugo? It was unclear what exactly their relationship was. Yes, they were dating, but nothing had been made official. Her best friend said they were taking it slow, which made no sense to Alexx. If two people liked each other, why hesitate?

Whatever. She'd keep her opinions to herself, but the moment she felt things weren't going the way they should, she'd poke her nose in because this was too important to mess up.

She re-read Alex's entry, her eyes falling to the last line. Did she feel different having her mom's photo?

Her hand pressed against her chest. Not really. She thought being able to see her mom would fill the gaping hole inside, but the ache was still there. Would it ever go away?

Alexx dropped her legs to the floor and stretched her muscles which were starting to cramp from being curled up for so long. Looking out, she casually surveyed the small park, noting how green and lush it was despite having a scorching summer.

Her gaze snagged on a familiar figure propped up under a billowing tree. Wings of hope fluttered in her stomach. Ravi.

What was it about him? she wondered. The moment she first laid eyes on him, she felt herself sliding into a colorful abyss of emotion. It was unlike any sensation she'd ever felt, and she craved more.

Alexx knew she was attractive. She'd had more than one guy hit on her at the mall or movie theater, but Ravi didn't seem affected, which made her curiosity grow. In fact, he seemed to forget about her most of the time, which would have been insulting as heck except she'd seen him ignore other girls too like Libby who was a Hollywood starlet in comparison.

Getting up, she headed over to the tree he was leaning against, his knees bent, and his feet flat on the ground. The jet black strands of his hair fell against his temple as he read a book in his lap. He was so absorbed he didn't even look up as she approached.

"Hey," she said in an overly bright voice that made her wince. Tone it down, Lorde, before you come off as desperate. She cleared her throat and hoped it came out as normal. "What are you doing out here?"

"Taking a break and reading this." Ravi showed her the cover, and she recognized the title. Alex had gone on and on about it last year. So much so, she'd contemplated buying earplugs to drown out the incessant fangirling. Thank the Broadway gods, Alex hadn't.

"I've never read it, but I heard the plot is super twisty," she said with an air of confidence she didn't feel.

"So I've been told, but..." Ravi shook his head as his mouth pursed. "I just can't get into it."

His voice, dark and sinful like burnt caramel, poured over her. She shuddered back the temptation to stroke him and instead shifted closer. "Then why are you forcing yourself to read it?"

His lips lifted into a secretive smile that had her heart pounding with want. "Someone challenged me to be more openminded."

The affection in his voice sent a flare of jealousy ripping through Alexx. "We can't all like the same things. Sounds like they're the ones who need to be more openminded."

A glint of determination entered his eyes. "Nah. I'll finish this even if I have to nail my lids open."

Equally determined, Alexx brought the subject back to something they shared. "So how are you liking Playhouse so far? I hope my brother isn't working you too hard."

"Hugo certainly likes things done a certain way."

An affectionate smile. "Yeah, been that way as long as I can remember."

He cocked his head, an inquisitive gleam in his eyes. "You close to your brother?"

A thrill shot down her spine. It was the first time Ravi showed any interest in her life. "We're tight," she replied, giddy excitement bubbling inside. She had to clamp her hands behind her back to keep herself from jumping up and down. "I have three brothers—two older and one younger—but Hugo's the closest to me in age."

"You're lucky." His chocolate eyes grew wistful as he glanced down at the string tied around his wrist. She studied it with keen interest, never having seen it before. Was it from a special someone?

Ravi seemed to have forgotten she was there, which ouch, but she forgave him when he turned back to her after she discreetly coughed. Blinking several times, Ravi re-orientated himself. Looking down at the book in his hands, he said, "So, um, Hugo seems like a good guy." It was more of a question than a statement which made her wonder if Hugo had done or said something to make him doubt that.

"Hugo's the best," she rushed to assure him as if his opinion somehow reflected on her. "He's the first guy people turn to when things get rough."

Ravi's shoulders moved with what she assumed was relief, but then she caught the distress in his eyes. What the...?

Before she could process, Ravi snapped the book shut and got to his feet. "I'd better get back to work before your perfect brother comes looking for me."

Was he leaving already? "Hugo won't care," Alexx quickly assured him, but Ravi wasn't swayed.

He brushed the bits of dirt and leaves stuck to the back of his jeans and shirt. "Maybe not but the sooner I finish with the railing, the sooner I can get back to this book."

"But-but..." Her mind scrambled for an appropriate excuse.

"See ya around," he said over his shoulder.

"'Bye Ravi," she whispered, her shoulders drooping. Every time they talked, it was like trying to capture sand with wide-spread fingers. What did she have to do to make him see her?

A creepy, crawly sensation walked up her back. Spinning around, she saw a smug-looking Arlo with his hand outstretched and his fingers wiggling. "Ugh, what are you doing here?"

Arlo showed off a hammer like it was a rare gem and not a piece of iron and wood. "I'm helping Hugo with the sets. Said he needed a real man."

"Then why did he call you?" she asked sweetly.

Arlo tweaked her nose. "Think you're funny, don't you?"

"I know I am." She stole his hammer and flexed, imitating him. "Oh, look at me. I can lift a hammer. How manly of me."

He pinched her biceps. "Is this a lump of fat or...oh, there you are muscle. Didn't see you there."

Her upper lip curled into a snarl. She was about to jab him with said hammer, but then she heard Ravi's name being called.

Arlo turned to see who she was staring at. The muscles under his shirt rippled as his voice deepened. "You know, if you like tall, dark, and handsome, I'm right here."

She remembered Alex's entry and quickly shoved the hammer back at him. "As if I care only about that. How shallow do you think I am?" But even as she asked, she wondered what she really knew about Ravi. He kept things close to the vest, even closer than Alex, and that was saying something.

A wicked gleam entered Arlo's gaze. "Well, since you asked..."

She held up a hand. "Oh, shut up. Do you know where Hugo is?" Since Alex was as slow as a snail getting her information, she'd go to the source herself.

Arlo nodded but didn't say anything more.

"Well?" Her arms crossed over her chest as her foot tapped impatiently. "Aren't you going to tell me?"

He gently hit the hammer against his palm, an innocent expression on his face. "Oh, can I talk now? I thought I was supposed to be shutting up."

Alexx threw up her hands and growled, "Is bugging me a hobby or does this just come naturally to you?"

"All-natural, darling." He sent her a playful wink that had sent her heart skidding off the straight and narrow.

It's a fluke, she told herself. I'm probably dehydrated, and it's my body's way of reminding me to drink some liquids.

The other part of her scoffed at her naivety, but if there was one thing Alexx excelled at, it was boxing up her feelings and storing them in a locked shed never to be seen from again.

Arlo motioned over his shoulder. "I thought I saw Hugo with that leggy assistant with black hair."

"Libby?"

"Is that her name?" Arlo shrugged like he couldn't be bothered to learn it.

"Pig," she huffed even as uneasiness slid down her throat. What was Hugo doing with Libby?

Without a word to Arlo, she took off to search of Hugo, but was flagged down and called to the stage before she could. Alexx spent the rest of the day, running her lines and blocking the scenes with Randy.

"No, no, no!" Randy yelled. He pointed at her with his rolled-up script, his voice vibrating with frustration. "What is this? Amateur hour? Get it together, Lorde. I've told you at least three times not to rush and what are you doing? Rushing!"

Alexx pinched the bridge of her nose. Why couldn't she get this? "I'll do it right next time."

"You better. We have less than two months until the curtains open." Randy slapped the script against his open palm. "Run it again."

Two hours later, Alexx gulped down water and made a note to drink some tea and honey afterwards, her throat strained. She nodded at Brad as he passed, a subtle sheen of perspiration coating his forehead and upper lip. She hopped off stage and went in search of Hugo. She checked backstage, as well as the lobby, and in the yard back behind the theater, but no blonde-haired Hugo.

Alexx ran over to Bri and Sloane who were sitting on the entrance steps, munching on pretzels and slices of orange. "Have you seen Hugo?"

Bri nodded, finishing her mouthful before pointing in the direction of the parking lot and saying, "He's over there."

"Thanks." It'd be rude to leave after not talking to them for the whole day, so she leaned against the wooden stair railing, careful not to dirty her pretty new blouse. "How you guys liking Playhouse so far? I know it's not your usual weekend stomping ground."

Bri shrugged, looking to Sloane. Sloane responded, "It's okay. We thought we'd get to see you more."

A twinge of remorse that had her shuffling her feet. "Yeah, it gets pretty crazy around here during rehearsal. Randy demands perfection."

"We heard." Sloane frowned, concern bracketing her mouth. "Is he always so mean to you?"

A rush of gratitude filled Alexx. Despite everything, they cared. She shouldn't forget that especially because true friends—the one who didn't leave at the first sight of trouble—were rare. "Sometimes but I know it's because he cares as much for this production as I do."

Sloane nodded thoughtfully, her braid falling over her shoulder. "There's a lot more to this than I thought. I get why now you were always too busy or exhausted to hang out with us."

The admission was a subtle apology that lifted a weight off Alexx's shoulders. A weight, she hadn't even known existed until now. Sloane and Bri had never told her outright that they resented Playhouse, but over the years, she'd picked up clues that said as much.

It felt good to be recognized, and Alexx thought pointedly, she should learn from her friends and be more understanding with Alex and her little club. Ugh. Just the thought of Keya made her temperature rise. Fine, she'd try to be more understanding. That was progress, right?

Alexx left the girls and went to the parking lot. She found Hugo leaning against the hood of his car engrossed in whatever Libby was motioning with her hands. A burning sensation traveled up her throat. Had they been together this whole time?

"Hey guys," she said brightly, hopping between them. A startled Libby took a step back while Hugo turned rigid. "What's going on?"

There was a distinct pause which had the hairs on the back of Alexx's neck standing up and when Libby gave Hugo a quick, meaningful look the feeling intensified.

"We're just talking about the set," Libby finally said in a calm, lilting tone that matched the pretty floral dress she was wearing. It fluttered around her knees every time she moved, making it seem like she was walking on air.

Alexx mentally sneered. Who on earth wore a dress to where people were building and painting? And those shoes! Didn't she know nails could sink in like butter if she weren't watching where she was going? Of course, Alexx's own fluttery blouse and sandals didn't count. She spent most of the day on stage, not out back where most of the crew worked.

"Oh? What about it? Is everything okay?" Alexx asked her, even as her gaze slid to Hugo. Not a single trace of guilt in those baby blues. Point for Hugo, but the alarm blaring in her mind didn't dissipate.

"Everything's fine," Libby replied. She flashed Hugo a grateful look and ran her fingers through the ends of her hair, her ballerina pink nails peeking through. It made Alexx's teeth grind. Libby was too soft, too sweet. "I've never been on this kind of production before, so I was wondering how it all worked."

"That's right, I remember Randy mentioning that. How did you get the assistant job again?" Her tone bordered between overly polite and bitchy, but Alexx refused to care. She saw the possessive gleam in Libby's eye every time she glanced at Hugo. It didn't surprise Alexx as Lorde's were a hot commodity, but this particular Lorde was off the market.

"Georgie!" Hugo warned, uncrossing his legs to stand.

"It's fine, Hugo," Libby assured him. She gave Alexx a sweet but amused look as if she thought Alexx was a puppy imitating a tiger. "Wendy's my aunt, and she knew I needed the money. Don't tell anyone, though. She wants to keep it a secret, so people don't think she's favoring me."

If getting you a job isn't favoring, then what is? Alexx wanted to ask, but Hugo gave her his patented glare, so she kept her mouth shut. "So do you have actual sewing experience or you just winging this?" So help her, if she were winging it because there was no way in H-E-double hockey sticks, she'd allow that girl anywhere near her body with pins and a needle.

"No, no. Don't worry. I know what I'm doing. My grandmother owns a fabric store, and I've been working there since I was little just like Aunty Wendy."

Working in a fabric store didn't exactly comfort Alexx's nerves, but she figured if Libby learned to sew the same way Wendy did, well, then she was in fine hands. Not as good as Alex, of course. No one could beat her sewing, she thought loyally.

Libby edged away, her movements refined and graceful. "I better get back before Wendy sends a flare up. See you around, Alexx." Then she turned to Hugo, her tone softening to make her words sound like a caress instead of a goodbye. "Thanks for the tour, Hugo. Let me know if you plan on going so I can save you a seat." Her hips swayed as she left in that uniquely feminine way that Alexx hadn't conquered yet. It spoke of experience. And utter confidence.

A roar of silence followed, and Alexx felt her nostrils flaring as she got more and more upset. She eyed her brother suspiciously. Where was Hugo going with that vixen? And was Alex aware of this little get-together? She better be.

"What?" Hugo suddenly asked. "Do I have something on my face or something?"

Alexx glared. "How's Freddy?"

He sat back on the hood of his car, appearing relaxed except for the strained lines in his neck. "Don't you talk with her?"

"As much as I can. I'm just wondering if you do."

"What exactly," Hugo asked with deliberate precision, "are you implying, Georgie?"

She put a hand on a hip, her limbs loose despite her piercing gaze. "Just asking a question."

"Look, I understand she's your best friend, but what happens between Alex and me stays between us. No nosey little sisters allowed."

And for the first time, a sliver of unease rippled over Alexx. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea for her best friend and brother to date.

"Now, excuse me," Hugo said, getting up. "But I better finish up the balcony piece before we have to leave."

That's when she noticed a piece of paper in his hands. She ripped it out before he could spit out her name. If this was Libby's phone number...

He tried to grab it, but she twisted to the side, frowning. "Why do you have a flyer for a lecture on the college campus?" Weren't only college students allowed? She read the fine print and realized "Gaming in the Real World" was open to the public.

"Whatever," Hugo muttered when he couldn't take the flyer away. He kicked one of his tires. "It's not like I can go any way."

"Why not?" This was the type of stuff Hugo reveled in.

"Read the date."

She scanned the flyer. "Oh." It was the same time as Dad's dinner with his law school alum, and he expected Hugo to be present. "So what? Just tell Dad you can't go."

"Like that'll do anything." Another kick. Harder this time. "You know how he is."

She folded up the flyer and handed it back to him. "Want me to talk to him?"

Hugo tucked it into his back pocket and scoffed. "I don't need my baby sister fighting battles for me."

"There shouldn't be battles. We're a family."

"We're a dictatorship," Hugo insisted. "Dad the head honcho and the rest of his minions."

"I hate that you fight with him." The number of fights was getting progressively worse, and without Lance, their peacemaker, the fights were turning into full fledge battles.

Hugo's face turned hard as his hands fisted at his side. "I don't like it either but should I just give in then and do whatever he tells me?"

"That wasn't criticism," she told him. Hugo was as chill as a surfer any other time except when it came to their parents, and if someone tried to argue with him, he took it as condemnation. "I know he can be unreasonable at times, but can't you try and see it from his side? He's only trying to do what he thinks is best."

"You're only saying that because he supports you with all of this." He motioned to the entrance of Playhouse. "If you were in my shoes, you'd be fighting with him tooth and nail."

Alexx looked up and noticed Bri watching them from the steps. Could everyone hear their argument? Bringing her voice down, she said, "You're right. I would be fighting him. But I'd also remember that he's our dad. He loves us."

"Whatever, Alexx. You don't get it. You never have." Hugo stalked away, anger weaving throughout his entire body. Why couldn't he see how much Dad cared? Hugo was all Dad brought up when he talked to friends—not Alexx, his one and only daughter, or Lance, his firstborn son, but Hugo. Brilliant, lovable Hugo, who was the rock of their family.

Alexx took a calming breath and headed back to Playhouse. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Bri watching again. No, wait. Bri wasn't watching her. Alexx's mouth parted when she realized the person Bri was tracking was Hugo.

Oh, fudge.

Did Bri have a crush on her older brother?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238K 7K 51
we young & turnt ho.
339K 13.3K 140
"π™³πš›πšžπšπšœ πšŠπš—πš πšπšžπšŒπš”πš’πš—πš πš–πš˜πš—πšŽπš’ 𝙸 πšŒπšŠπš— πš‘πšŽπšŠπš› πšπš‘πšŽ πš‹πš’πš›πšπšœ πšœπš’πš—πš π™³πš›πšžπšπšœ πšŠπš—πš πšπšžπšŒπš”πš’πš—πš πš–...
171K 1K 34
spoiler "Berani main-main sama gue iya? Gimana kalau gue ajak lo main bareng diranjang, hm? " ucap kilian sambil menujukan smirk nya. Sontak hal ter...
48.4K 1K 54
not you're average mafia brothers and sister story.. This is the story of Natasha Clark, an assassin, mafia boss, and most of all the long lost siste...