Coven

By wilfredrazo

With his Coven at an all time low, new, young Supreme, George Montgomery, must make tough decisions that will... More

Prologue
Part One: The Seven Wonders

Part Two: Out With the Old, In With the New

45 1 0
By wilfredrazo

We all walk upstairs into the living room, where the rest of the students at Blanche Laurent's are waiting.

"Well, who is it?!" shouts Annabelle, a close friend of mine.

"Ladies of Blanche Laurent's School of Witchcraft, I now present to you your new Supreme, George Montgomery!" shouts Catarina. The girls begin clapping and cheering. Soon, they begin chanting "speech" altogether.

I settle them down as I prepare to speak. "You know when I received information that I could be the next Supreme, I thought of thousands of reasons why somebody else would be a better Supreme than I would. But then, I had a conversation with Helena the night she died, and it completely changed my outlook on being Supreme. I plan to lead this school and coven into a new era! An era of growth! An era of acceptance! An era of never-ending peace!" The students begin cheering again. "Starting with the council." I turn to them. "I would like to see you in my office as soon as possible." I turn back to the students. "Go back to your rooms. Get your rest! Regular instruction begins on Monday." All eleven students then run to their rooms, cheering my name and other joyful thoughts.

I walk to my office with the council and Christian behind me. I have a seat in the big, leather chair. "Christian," I call to him. "Will you please ask Annabelle, Kasey, and Victoria to come here also?"

"Yes, sir," he says.

"Thank you, love." I look at the council members. "Please, have a seat."

"How does it feel?" says Theodore in his mind. "I bet it feels great, doesn't it?"

I think about my response. "I feel... powerful, and yes, it feels great."

Theodore gasps at my response. "How did you do that?"

"Do what, Theodore?" asks Catarina.

"He... George just-"

"Read your mind?... Yeah, you guys should've read my file a little bit more thoroughly before accepting me into the academy."

"What is he talking about, Catarina?" asks Benita.

"I'm a clairvoyant, you imbecile!" They have no immediate response. "I can read minds! And guess what? I've read all of your minds since the night of Helena's death." Still no response from my council members. "You all knew that I was gonna be Supreme, but none of you wanted it." I point at Theodore. "Especially you! You were jealous of me and you still are! You were mad about never having a chance of being Supreme! You all were mad!" I glare at Benita. "And you! You killed Helena! You did it because you were the only one who didn't have a motive against her. Catarina over here wanted her dead since the day she became Supreme!"

"That is not-!" shouts Catarina.

"Don't even try to lie!" I point to my temple. "I can read this, ya know?"

"Mr. Montgomery," says Christian. "The girls are ready to see you." He lets them in.

"Thank you, Christian." I smile. "Oh! I forgot! Please send Celeste in here also." I look at my fellow companions. "This will only take a minute. I would actually like your inputs." Looking back to the old council, I say, "In violation of Witch Code, I demand that all three of you... And Celeste when she gets here, be burned at the stake! Benita Hoffman for deliberately poisoning Helena Foster in her time of defencelessness; Catarina Porter for conspiring against your Supreme, and Theodore Giovanni for the murder of Sierra Rose!"

"But she's alive!" he shouts.

"But you still caused her harm," I snap.

"Then what about you?!" Catarina says. "You killed Dave during the Seven Wonders. You should be burned as well!"

"Kasey if you could, please validate that Dave killed himself," I request, holding out my wrist.

Using her power of psychometry, Kasey touches my wrist, then says, "It looks like Dave really did kill himself." She pauses. "With a letter opener."

"Exactly!" I yell. "And if anything, I provided you with another testing dummy for the Seventh Wonder!" I shout.

Celeste shows up into the room. "What do you want?"

"You and the three former members of the council will be burned at the stake," I say casually.

"This is outrageous! I demand justice! I demand a fair trial!" Catarina cries out in distress.

Using telekinesis, I drag her over the desk and close to my face. "This is fair trial," I say through my teeth. "You have the new council there and they say you be burned at the steak." I look up. "Christian, honey, could you please show these degenerates their way out? We'll be right behind you."

"Yes, sir," he says, then proceeds to drag the offenders out of the office.

The former council members cry out in distress.

Walking behind them, I say, "You should've thought twice about planning to overthrow me!" I giggle at the irony of my statement. "... Or maybe you shouldn't have. Take them to the car and grab the gasoline," I say to Christian. As we're standing in the foyer, I shout to the students, "Girls! Girls, come on out of your rooms!" The hallway fills itself with young witches. "Like everything else, witches have rules. Without rules, there is simply no rule. Your council members and one of your fellow students broke a few rules in the book. And when one breaks rules, there must be a punishment. Some receive a very clean punishment, others get burned at the stake. It's a shame, really. A damn shame. But like everything else, nothing lasts forever." I signal for the students to aboard the three black SUVs waiting for us outside.

When all three cars are filled, Christian and the two other drivers drive us to a remote location just outside of the Hamptons. Upon our arrival, I see that four large wooden stakes are sitting in the middle of this desert-like landscape. We all exit the vehicles and proceed to the stakes. Christian and the two drivers then tie Catarina, Theodore, Benita, and Celeste to their own stakes.

I stand in front of Catarina as the servants drench her and the three other violators in gasoline. Pulling out a cigarette, I say, "You know, I never really fathomed these because of health issues, but now that nothing harms me, I might as well. Would you like one?" Catarina says nothing. Lighting the cancer stick, I add, "Don't worry, Catty. It'll all be over with as soon as your ashes are spread apart this entire field." I inhale the smoke of the cigarette. Looking into her eyes, I see that they are filled with rage. I laugh and blow my smoke in her face. "But, it's like you said, 'it's best for the Coven,'" I mimic. I slowly turn my back and walk towards my students. "I heard stories about Supremes setting witches on fire and I believe this is the best way." I take one final puff and then toss my cigarette at Catarina. She instantly bursts into flames and starts screaming. I light the other three on fire using Pyrokinesis and they begin screaming. My students look on in sadness as their old council members burn. The potent smell of scorching flesh fills the warm, crisp summer air. I look around to my students and realise that I am all they have left. I have to be everything and anything for these young, thriving souls. I am their Supreme.

As soon as the screaming ends and the bodies die, the three servants place them in body bags and carry them to the trunk of one of the cars. The ride back to the academy is a quiet one. Barely anybody speaks a word. And their minds are completely empty of thought as I hear nothing. The servants bury the four in our cemetery while the students and myself exit the vehicles and ready ourselves for dinner. We all sit around the dinner table speechless as our meals are served to us.

"This is a very nice meal you've prepared for us, Jacqueline. Thank you," I say to one of our maids. I turn to the students. "I'm sorry you guys had to see that today, but with the exit of our dear Helena, I felt like it was time for change. Out with the old and in with the new." I chuckle awkwardly. "And I would like to explain my new system." I see that I have gotten their attention because they all unanimously turn their heads towards me. "Here at Blanche Laurent's, we've always learned. We have always thrived to be the best we can be.... Until Helena became gravely ill. That moment is when she decided to give up. Over the last two years, we as a Coven have declined. Do you guys remember how many girls and boys we had here?" I turn to Annabelle and Kasey. "Surely you two do. We had as much as fifty young witches and warlocks here. Annabelle, Victoria, Kasey, and myself are of what's left of the school's halcyon. It's time for a change and I believe that when we establish a new system, we can thrive again. That is why I threw out the old council. The fact that they harmed other witches just added to their own demise and lead them to their ultimate death. So, I would like to point your attention to your new council and teachers." I turn to Annabelle, Kasey, and Victoria. "Behold, your new council. These are our school's most experienced and knowledgeable witches. Annabelle will be teaching the kids with Psychic-based abilities. Victoria will lead those with Scientific abilities, and Kasey will show the ones with healing abilities down the right path. You will have two classes each day with your designated teacher. They will show you how to control your powers and strengthen them." They all seem to be okay with my system.

"Will you also be teaching us, George?" asks Ivy, a young, yet strong witch.

"Of course I will." I smile. "I will pop in at times to ensure that we are reaching our full potential. Also, we will have times where we will test you on your progress."

"And what if we fail?" asks another student named Michelle.

"There is no such thing as failure. Everybody learns at their own pace," I say. The doorbell rings as the student finish their meals. I excuse myself from the table and walk over to the door. Opening it, I see a girl with magenta hair. "Hello? May I help you?"

"Is this Blanche Laurent's?" she asks.

I remember something that Helena said about expecting four new students. "Oh right! We've been expecting you! Please come in!" I lead the girl in from outside. "Joanna!" I call one of the maids. "Could you please take our new student's luggage to Celeste's old room?" I turn to the girl as we walk into the living room. "You will be rooming with Ivy and Sydney. What's your name again?" I light the fireplace and sit down with the girl on a couch.

"Skye," she says.

"What a wonderful name." I smile. "Ivy! Sydney! Could you please come here?" The girls enter the living room.

"Yes George?" says Sydney.

"This is Skye," I say. "And she will be rooming with you both in place of Celeste. I would like for you both to show her to your room."

"Of course, George," says Ivy. She and Sydney then each hold one hand out and wait for Skye's response.

"They don't bite... hard," I say then giggle. "If you're hungry, just say the word and I'll cook you up something." Skye takes their hands and they all run upstairs as Christian walks into the living room.

"Everything is running well, sir. The bodies are buried, the girls finished their dinner and are headed to bed, and the new council members are settled well in their rooms," he says.

"Thank you, Christian."

"My pleasure." He takes a seat next to me on the sofa. "May I ask you something, sir?"

I'm surprised at his discomfort around me. Christian and I have always remained good friends. "Please, just call me George. I'm not that much older than you are."

"Yes, sir- George."

"What do you need to ask me?"

He looks a little worried. "Never mind, forget I asked."

I place my hand on his knee and look deeply into his bronze eyes. "You can ask me anything."

He is taken back at my level of comfort. "I... I just..."

Confused, I say, "What's wrong?" An upset Christian stands up and runs upstairs. The grandfather clock signals that it is nine o'clock. "I need to sleep."

I walk to my room, which is now the master bedroom. I take in all of the space in the room and plump myself on my bed. Too tired to get up and change, I fall asleep fully clothed.

"George? George what are you doing? Are you okay?" I am sitting in the corner of the room, watching over Helena as a mysterious figure stands next to her bed.

"George?" says Helena. The silhouette climbs on top of Helena and pulls out a long blade. I see what they're about to do and begin screaming. I try to move my limbs to help her, but it's no use. Something is keeping me from moving.

The figure begins driving the knife into Helena as she screams my name to help her.

"No!" I scream. "Helena!"

She looks dead in my eyes. "Why?"

I regain consciousness as I take a deep, harsh breath. Covered in sweat, I realise that I'm completely naked. "I don't remember undressing." I look out of the window and see that the sun is almost out. I figure that it's about six forty-five and walk over to the bathroom and turn the shower on.

I stand motionless in the running hot water and think about my dream. Who was the figure? Why did they kill Helena? Did this actually happen?

I step out of the shower and try to find a towel to wrap myself in. Still naked, I walk into my room to find Christian holding a stack of clean towels. His jaw drops at the sight of my naked self.

Quickly grabbing the towel and realising the predicament, I say, "I am so sorry! I didn't even know that you were in here and-" I wrap the towel around my waist.

"It was my mistake walking in here, sir." Christian is obviously embarrassed by the situation. We both are.

"No, no, no, it's my fault."

"Nope, nope, it's mine-"

I cut him off by kissing him. "Shut up," I say, pulling away.

"George... I-"

"This is sometimes the only way to get somebody to shut up." I chuckle. I grab the remaining towels from his hands. "Go tell the girls that it's almost time for morning gathering."

"Yes, sir." Christian begins walking away.

"It's George, dammit." I laugh. I walk over to my dresser and pick out a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and a pair of beige shorts to wear. Combing my black, wavy hair, I begin walking down to the living room. I pass by many of the girls while on my way and they say good morning. Just as I reach the bottom of the stairs, the doorbell rings. "Oh great."

"Hello?" the girl outside says.

I approach the door and open it slightly. "This is Blanche Laurent's, how may I help you?"

"I'm Haile, one of your new students?"

I open the door completely to reveal a fairly beautiful girl standing in the doorway. Mesmerised by her beauty, I say, "Hi." I nearly forget that she is my student. "I'm George. Head master of Blanche Laurent's School for Witchcraft and the reigning Supreme."

"Is he serious? He's the Supreme. My god, he's not much older than I am. Is this some kind of joke?"

"Yes, I am serious and no, this isn't a joke."

Haile is shocked at my ability. "How did you-"

"Clairvoyance, my dear. And I would prove that I'm the Supreme, but I already did that."

"But you're so young... I thought that-"

"Yes, I know. Unfortunately, the Supreme of the Hamptons Coven died the other night and failed to identify her successor." I lead her into the house. Continuing, I explain, "A test between myself and four other witches and warlocks was conducted in order to crown the new Supreme. But in the end, I was the only person to be able to successfully perform the Seven Wonders." A maid takes Haile's bags and begins to take them to a vacated room. "Therefore, I am the Supreme."

Accepting all of the information, she says, "Impressive story." Haile looks up at the craftsmanship of the house. "So you run this place? All by yourself."

"Well, I have a council to help me. They're also the teachers." I take Haile by the hand. "Can you please follow me to the office? I would like to read your file."

She nods. "Of course. What was your name again?"

"George Montgomery," I say, leading her into my office. She takes a seat as I pull out her file from a cabinet labeled "Potential Students." I read it aloud to her. "Haile Porter. Age: sixteen. Hair colour: brown. Eye colour: blue. Born in Buffalo, New York. Ability: clairvoyance. You're a clairvoyant?"

She nods excitingly. "Yes, I am."

"I am too!" I smile. I continue reading the file. "Reason for admission..." My mind becomes clouded with shock as I read the words on the page. "Mother, Catarina, recommended the school."

"Speaking of which, where is my mother? I haven't spoken to her in days. I tried to call her to make sure that she knew I was coming, but she didn't answer," she says.

I'm careful about how I act because if she gets a sense of danger, she will read my mind in a split second and uncover the truth. I also don't want to lie to such a nice girl. "Haile, I'm pretty sure your mother is fine."

"What do you mean 'pretty sure?' You said you had a council and wasn't she a part of the council!" Haile is almost shouting.

"Catarina was taken off of the council for conspiring against the Supreme," I say.

"Then where is she?! Where is my mother?!" Haile looks me deeply in the eyes and says, "And don't try to lie."

I sigh deeply. I brace myself for the effect this will have on everybody here. "Your mother was burned at the stake."

Haile's eyes instantly fill with tears and they quickly travel down her face. Attempting to speak, she says, "Why would she ever be burned? My mother is a good person. She did things for the greater good." She continues to go on and on about Catarina and I can't stand to listen. Suddenly, Haile jumps over the table and begins clawing at my face. "You killed my mother! You are the reason she's dead! You're a murderer!"

Finally focusing, I send her flying across the room. "Your mother was a traitor!" The doorway is soon filled with curious witches wanting to know what is going on. "She devised a plan to kill Helena Foster! Your mother is nothing but a good for nothing rat! And I'm glad she's dead!" Haile stands up and is about to start swinging at me until Victoria steps in.

She grabs Haile by her head. "You're going to calm down," she says. Haile slowly calms her nerves but only because Victoria can control emotions.

"I want to go home," she pouts.

I get closer to her, but she steps away. I sigh. "This is your home now. We will teach you how to have control over your power and maybe discover new ones." She looks at me expressionless. "I'm truly sorry for your loss, but it was best for the Coven. Everything I do now will be in the interest of the Coven."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 97.1K 74
Swallow is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon purchase. When Mildr...