The Queen of Dawn

By PhenaPoo

~ Court of Navalia Book 1~ 1509 Princess Azora is sent across the ocean to marry a foreign prince, and eventu... More

Quick A/N
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Wattys 2019
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue
Authors Note
SEQUEL NEWS
Excerpt from 'The Princess of Dusk'

Chapter 25

6.4K 204 25
By PhenaPoo

Azora sat in her child's nursery once again, she sighed. Many of the richer older women of the court looked down at her, saying she spent too much time with her child as a queen, but she was a mother first, and she loved her son to pieces.

The child was beginning to crawl on his belly, smiling and cooing as he got some freedom to travel along the floor. Azora couldn't be any more happier, she was in absolute bliss.

The bliss however was interupted by the maid and wet nurse forcing Azora out of her haven once again. She did not understand why it had been custom for hundreds of years for women to not nurse their own children, but she knew she would cause a royal scandal if she did.

She wandered around the halls and corridors of the palace absentmindedly, until a page boy finally caught up to her and grabbed her attention.

"Excuse me your majesty. "
He bowed.
"You are wanted in court. "

Azora sighed and made her way slowly to court. She could hear the low murmuring of the lords and ladies, but as soon as she was announced, a hush went over the room.

She noticed she had left her head covering in the nursery and she blushed as many people eyed her uncovered braid bun, but she turned her gaze up to her husband, who stood awaiting her at the top of the stairs to the thrones.

As she reached the top of the stairs,  he held out his hand and she took it graciously. She stood at his side, their hands still intertwined and she looked over the crowd. She did not know what was happening, she was extremely confused.

"I have a little declaration to make today."
He pronounced, his face beaming.

The lords and ladies of the court whispered excitedly among themselves.

The King continues and crowed hushed once more.

"You all have known me to be a bit of a rogue when it comes to the ladies." He winked at no one in particular in the crowd and they all chuckled.

Azora all of a sudden knew where this was going and she felt her stomach go in knots. This was going to be too embarrassing.

"But today I have gathered you all here to declare that, that is no longer the way of life I would like to follow. I have but one Queen who has become the apple of my eye."

Azora looked at her husband with wide eyes, her pulse quickening. What was he doing? Why did he have to do it in public? Why couldn't he just tell her in private? Was he doing this to put on a good face for the royal family?  To show that the alliance was strong?

He looked at her with a confident smirk and loving eyes, and she shook her head ever so slightly.
"What on earth are you doing?"
She whispered, so quietly she was almost mouthing it.

"My wife,  you are the most beautiful creature I have ever later my eyes on-"

She cringed inwardly.

"- and I love you more than anything on this earth. "

She raised her eyebrows, continuing to mouth to him to stop.

"Will you accept this gift to me as a token of my appreciation and love for you. "
He motioned for two of the servants to come forward, and in their hands were Vevelty cushions, on top which later the most exquisite necklace Azora had ever seen.

It was laden with emeralds and sapphires encrusted into the silver. It was not simple and it was very extravagant.

The King picked up the necklace and Azora bowed her head so he could put on the necklace. She did not want to make a scene, so she went along with it. He placed it over her head and around her neck. It was heavy.

The crowd clapped and cheered enthusiastically and Azora curtseyed whilst mumbling. Whilst she did appreciate the exquisite gift, she didn't appreciate the public display of affection. She leaned over to whisper in her husband's ear.

"Excuse me, but I really must be going."
She dropped another quick curtsey and walked briskly back to the safety of the nursery.
~~~
Azora dangled a miniture jesters toy in front of Alexander. Bits of fabric dangled from the end and the bell on the end made noises as it was waved about. The small child grabbed the toy and stuck it in his mouth,  looking up innocently at his mother. She laughed melodically and kissed the top of his head.

The door to the nursery swung open, and Kalian pranced in, a cheeky grin on his face as he ran and swooped Alexander up causing laughter from both of them. Azora smiled fondly as Kalian held his son in his arms with a proud look on his face, even as the baby grabbed a hold of his nose.

Kalian noticed her staring and came and sat down next to her on the floor and let Alexander crawl around once more.
"Did you like my gift this morning?"

Azora nodded absentmindedly and avoided his gaze.

"You did not say anything back, you just left."

She looked into his eyes.
"I'm not someone to publicly declare private matters in front of the whole court."

Kalian scoffed in a mocking way.
"Or is it simply because you don't love me?"
He said it in a joking voice, and he had a goofy expression in his eyes as he lay his head in her lap. She, however, could tell he was not joking as his eyes were sad and longing.

She looked away, she felt intimidated. She knew in her heart that she loved him, it was as if a hole was burning in her chest because she could not admit it, but she was scared he would find another mistress and she would get hurt.

Kalian sighed deeply from his position with his head in her lap, and she realised he had fallen asleep and she was absentmindedly running her fingers through his hair.

He yawned and opened his eyes groggily before sitting up, and kissing Azora on the lips. She kissed him back thoroughly, and he chuckled as she pulled away.
"At least you like me enough to stand kissing me."

Azora smiled bashfully at him,  a rosy blush rising on her cheeks.

"I must go now,  I have work to do."

He picked his son up, kissing him on his forehead and giving him back to his mother, leaving her with a confused head and heart

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115 36 36
"ℑ 𝔤𝔬𝔱 𝔞 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔱, 𝔞𝔫𝔡 ℑ 𝔤𝔬𝔱 𝔞 𝔰𝔬𝔲𝔩 𝔅𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔢𝔳𝔢 𝔪𝔢, ℑ 𝔴𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔲𝔰𝔢 𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔪 𝔟𝔬𝔱𝔥" Haven Collins, a princess, is forced i...
158K 6.2K 48
It's a love and forced marriage story of an arrogant young man and a cute dreamworld mesmerised girl.He married her forcefully,... Will they fall in...
41 0 40
In the small kingdom of Satia, a momentous announcement was made - Princess Mia had been declared the next in line for the throne. However, there was...
26 0 6
"After years being in torched and abused by her father and brothers Rose finds herself tangeled in a forced marriage with a mafia king who is known f...