A Year Abroad (Hermione/Vikto...

By paigelindssay

In an alternative universe, Hermione is at the end of her third year, the war is over and Dumbledore has been... More

Changing Places
First Impressions
Problems with Boggarts
Exhile
The Love Potion
Help From The Headmaster
Redemption
Building Bridges
War Stories
New Arrivals
Fire
Soft Souls
Wipe
Memories
Return
Anxiety
Relaxation
Glass
Departure
The Sea
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
Christmas Day
Three Men
Rain Training
The Friendly Giant
A Girl of Durmstrang
Finally Free
Decisions
My Valentine
Difficult Choices
Honesty
Breaking The News
Problems with Reporters
The Jersey
Moving Out
Moving In
Making Arrangements
Biggest Fan
Support
Here Comes The Rain
Rain Games
Life Changes
The Split
The Aftermath
Arriving Alone
Acknowledgment
Surprise Visit
En EspaƱa
Dragon Training
Communication
Making Time
Your Hands Are Cold
Photographs
Birthdays
Stupid In Love
Christmas With The Krums
Diving Under
Explosive Emotions
Final Challenge
Celebrations
Happy Birthday Hermione
Surprise Party
Visions
Changing The Future
Mediwitches and Muggles
Muggle World
The Fall
Isolation
Look Through My Eyes
The Garden Party
Graduation
Best Man
The Stag Night
The End

New Year

1K 31 15
By paigelindssay

Hermione was in shock when she awoke on boxing day. Everything had changed so much. Her Mother had returned, which she had never truly expected to happen, and when she looked down at her left hand, she blushed. She didn't know how to feel about it all. She was blissfully happy that Viktor had asked her, and that she had said yes. But, she was so young and she feared the judgement of others. But she was a free witch, and if she wanted to get engaged young, she could. Her Mum approved of it, and that was all that mattered to her at the moment.

Viktor awoke refreshed. He and Hermione had slept in separate beds that night. He missed her, but enjoyed the extra space. He still couldn't quite believe that she had agreed to marry him at some point in the future, he had always thought that she might have been against such an institution, but alas, she had been so excited when he asked her, it couldn't have gone better. But he still worried, still feared. His team mates were all bachelors, and he feared what they would say. She was so young and he worried that people would disapprove of making such a choice so young. He also didn't want anyone thinking that Hermione had accepted him because of who he was. He had no idea about her finances, but he was sure she was worth just as much as him, which made any point about money irrelevant.

Mladen felt rather left behind. Viktor was always rushing ahead of him in life. He had started playing quidditch on the senior team at the same time and had played for his country many times, while Mladen never made the team and was forced to become a coach. It paid well, but it had never impressed his parents like Viktor had. His engagement to Hermione hurt. It seemed that the eldest son should marry first, have children first, and that cold all still happen. But Viktor had gotten engaged first, and he would always have that. Mladen sighed, he was happy for both of them. But some part of him envied their happiness.

Things were not well back in England. Luna had received an owl from Bulgaria. Ivan had told her that he had rekindled his love with his childhood sweetheart and that he would not be returning to Hogwarts. She was devastated. Luna had never put too much thought into romance, but Ivan's interest in her had awakened some part of her who enjoyed male attention. She tried to talk to her Father about it, but he told her that she did not need a man. No help at all. So she owled Hermione. She was good with men, especially the Bulgarian variety, and she had been invited to the Krum New Year's party, so she could talk to her then.

Hermione sat with Viktor whilst she read the letter. He rubbed her legs as she read.
"Oh, how awful. Ivan has completely brushed off Luna as if she was the dust on his shoe." She shook her head and Viktor sighed, remembering his old school friend with the blonde girl.
"He vas never serious about her. He alvays have a girl back in Bulgaria." He told Hermione and she sat, open mouthed.
"And you knew this?" She asked. Viktor felt his face blush and his arms stop moving on her legs.
"It vas not my place to say." He mumbled, looking down.
"Do you think that this is okay?" She asked, hurt.
"Are you going to get a girl in Bulgaria when you are sick of me?" She asked, smiling up at him mischievously. He grinned back at her, pulling her onto his lap, causing her to cry out.
"Get a girl, you say. Silly, silly girl." He tickled her and kissed her and Hermione was truly blissful in that moment as she cried out with laughter.

Jane watched them as she walked past.
"They seem happy." Chigvintsev noted, stood behind her.
"Yes, I think so. She has chosen well." She smiled, walking along side Sergei.
"You vill have to vatch him play." He smiled down at her.
"Yes, I have never watched a game of quidditch." She told him. He was shocked for a moment, then remembered she was a muggle and was not surprised anymore.
"So Hermione makes glass?" She asked, wanting to learn a bit more about her daughter's new life.
"Yes, she enchants it to mold and glow in a specific vay. It is a rare talent." He smiled down at her as she beamed proudly.
"It vas good rehab, after-" Sergei could not bring himself to finish the sentence.
"Was it really that bad?" She asked him honestly and he cast his eyes to the ground.
"It is the vorst var ve ever had. For a child to play such a vital role, is extraordinary." He told her and felt herself tear up.

Jane felt so useless. She wished that she could have been there for Hermione, but she didn't understand magic, and she was sure there was no way to help.
"You could have done nothing." He told her, reading her body language. She smiled up at him, not entirely convinced.
"But, you can be here now. She needs you. You are the muggle part of her life that she does not vant to lose. You must be there for her." He told Jane and she smiled and nodded.
"Yes, I want to be, I really do. But between my world and this world, it is so hard." She sighed, looking down at the ground." Chigvintsev had a thought then.
"Vhy don't you stay in my house? I am not there, and you could use it. You should start a dental practice here. Trust me, people vould pay." He offered her and Jane had to think for a moment. Could she really just pick up and leave? But then, what was she leaving? Her little flat, her new dental practice that she had to move to when she split with James. When she thought about it, nothing in her ordinary, human life was as important as Hermione. So, she made an impulsive decision and took the plunge.
"Yes, I think I will take you up on that offer. Thank you very much." She smiled and he knew that it was for the best.

Jane and Hermione sat in the living room after lunch, discussing everything.
"So, you are going to stay?" She asked, knowing how much of a sacrifice it was to leave her muggle world.
"I need to be here, to support you. You have been through awful things, and I was not here. But I shall be here for every other event in your life, good or bad." She told Hermione and she hugged her Mother. She was making such a sacrifice, all for her daughter. But Jane made it willingly.

Hermione explained the Triwizard Tournament to her Mother. Jane stared at her, wide eyed, when she explained.
"Why would you put yourself in that position? After everything that you have been through?" She asked.
"I had to represent my school, and push myself." Jane shook her head, laughing. Hermione would never be content until she was pushed to her ultimate limits, and this still seemed to be true.

New Years eve came and with it came all of the guests for the Krum's annual New Year's ball. Hermione became nervous in the way she always did when there was a large ball happening. It was not very her, she never felt she quite fit in. But, she looked forward to seeing her guests, Luna and Neville and Seamus. She knew that they would make a fuss over her ring, and she would let them

Viktor was very excited for the ball. It was the time for him to show Hermione off as his wife to be. He was tempted to parade her around, her hand outstretched. But he knew that Hermione would not like that, so put that thought to one side. Viktor enjoyed any opportunity to wear his finest robes and mingle with guests. It made him feel social and stimulated.

Jane had never really been to a fancy ball, let alone a magic ball. She had nothing to wear that was appropriate, she was sure. But Ada took her under her wing.
"Choose vhat you like. Ve are to share a family, ve can share a dress." Jane had never seen such a lavish wardrobe in her life. She did not know what either of the Krums did for work, but she was sure that it paid well.

Hermione had invited Luna over early, so that they could spend some time together. Luna was grateful for this, as she really could do with some cheering up. Hermione met her outside of the house and they embraced.
"Luna, I am so sorry." Hermione apologised on behalf of Ivan. Luna looked up at her, eyes watery.
"I really thought he liked me." She told Hermione and she pulled Luna in for another hug.

It was only when they were sat in her room that Luna noticed the ring on Hermione's finger.
"Oh my goodness! Why didn't you tell me?" She cried out, taking the finger in her hand and pulling it closer to her face.
"I didn't want to make a fuss." She blushed and Luna beamed up at her.
"Oh, I am so happy for you!" She cried out and Hermione laughed, glad that Luna agreed with her decision.
"We aren't going to get married for a long while, but it is nice to know that he has that intention." She smiled and Luna pulled her into a hug.
"You are engaged to Viktor Krum. My goodness, I never imagined that." She beamed and Hermione chuckled along.

Viktor got ready with his brother. Mladen had tried to stay angry with his brother, but had failed. He was happy for Viktor, he was still envious, but he was happy.
"Are you sure?" He asked him and Viktor looked into the mirror, back at his brother.
"Yes, I am." He told him, smiling one of his rare smiles.
"How did you know?" He asked Viktor.
"I couldn't stand the thought of being away from her. She sees me for who I am, not for who the papers make me out to be. I love her." He told his brother and Mladen knew that he was telling the truth.
"I am happy for you, brother." They embraced and smiled, before talking about some quidditch news.

Jane could not remember the last time that she had worn such a fine dress. It was made of navy satin and smoothed over her body in a way that surprised her, based on the slim figure of Ada. She slipped on her heels and a pair of earrings that she had brought with her. She felt beautiful and part of her hoped that Sergei thought so too. She had not felt this way since before she had met James. She felt butterflies in her stomach and revelled in the innocent feeling.

Everything was set up and the guests were filtering in. Seamus and Neville had arrived together, deciding that their friendship made it natural to do so.
"Wow, swanky." Neville looked up at the house in awe, having never been in a stately home before.
"It's nice, isn't it?" Seamus knew that the Krums were rich, but he didn't realise how rich. They did not look out of place, though. Neville wore his finest tuxedo, which his grandmother had given him and Seamus wore his finest shirt, with smart trousers and a little bow tie that suited him well. They both took a deep breath, before entering the hall.

Hermione and Luna made their last adjustments. Hermione looked wonderful in the red dress that Viktor had gifted her on Christmas and Luna looked sweet in her silver flapper dress, with matching headband. It might not have been Hermione's cup of tea. But Luna had style and the confidence to pull it off.

Viktor was already in the hall when Hermione entered with Luna. His jaw dropped when he saw her. The red dress was a good choice, he decided. Her skin glowed and the low cut did her nothing but favours. His mouth salivated and he heard the mutterings of everyone around when Hermione's diamond sparkled in the light. He was infatuated and he loved it.

Mladen thought Hermione looked wonderful, but his eyes gravitated towards her friend. She was slight, wearing a dress that suited her slender figure well and her white hair styled up in curls. She had a sweet smile and translucent skin that worked well with the silver sequins on her dress. He found her mesmerising and decided he would have to introduce himself.

Viktor Kissed Hermione on the cheek and bowed to Luna.
"Luna, this is my brother, Mladen." He gestured over, and Luna smiled up at him, quite the opposite of Viktor. He was very tall, well over six foot, with a lean build and slender face. He had the same Krum nose, but that was about it. Luna thought he was very pretty and took his hand.
"Hello, I am Luna Lovegood." She told him and he found himself holding onto her hand for a moment too long, causing them both to blush. Hermione watched on with interest and smiled at the idea that she might have just played the role of matchmaker.

Sergei gasped when he met Jane in the hallway.
"Vere you vaiting for me?" He asked, running the last bit of distance, pushing his glasses up on his nose.
"Yes, I must admit I was. I don't really know anyone else, and Hermione will be with her friends. So-" She didn't quite know how to finish her sentence. She smiled up at Sergei. He was dressed in a navy pinstriped suit, a brave choice that he pulled off well. He extended an arm to her.
"Vill you do me the honour of being my date?" He asked her, and she blushed and smiled, before entwining her arm in his.
"I thought you would never ask." She smiled as they walked on.

Hermione saw her Mum and Chigvintsev descend the stairs together. They looked wonderful, her Mother in her blue satin, hair twisted up on her head and Chigvintsev in a bold pinstripe suit that he suited very well. They walked arm in arm and Hermione felt the air leave her lungs.
"Are you alright?" Viktor asked, watching her tense up.
"Yes, I just didn't quite expect that." She told him and he kissed her on the cheek again.

Seamus came then, scooping Hermione up in an embrace.
"How was your Christmas?" She asked
"Amazing, you know how my family do Christmas." He smiled at her, happy to see her so happy and relaxed.
"Well, this is new." He took her hand into his and lifted it to look at the ring.
"Yes, I suppose it is." She giggled, blushing.
"Well, I wouldn't be getting married so young, but you are a whole different kind of person. Congratulations, Hermione." He smiled up at her and she could see some of those lines that seemed too old for his face fading and Hermione thought she might cry if she looked any longer, so she was glad when the music started.

Hermione had expected to dance the first song with Viktor, but when Andon tapped her on the shoulder, she accepted his offer. Viktor danced with his Mother and Andon swayed with Hermione.
"I am so glad that you are going to be part of my family." He smiled down at her and she beamed.
"I am too. You have a wonderful family." She smiled and he nodded.
"I alvays vanted a daughter." He told her and Hermione felt a yearning that she had not expected. He smiled down at her and winked and she felt comfortable in his arms.

Chigvintsev took the second dance with Hermione and Viktor asked Jane if she might dance with him. Jane, being a muggle, caused many conversations in the room. The opinion was wholly split. Some people embraced her, and others thought she had no place in their world. Viktor didn't care what they thought, he was going to make her feel as welcome as anyone.
"So, you are twenty?" She asked him and he nodded.
"I know it is young to be engaged. But I love Her-my-knee." He told her and she nodded, knowing that he was speaking the truth.
"I am glad she has chosen someone like you. Strong and stable, to ground her." She told him and he smiled, glad that Hermione's Mother was approving of Hermione's choice.

Chigvintsev spun around with Hermione whilst she looked at him knowingly.
"Vhat?" He laughed down at her, his cheeks burning.
"What are your intentions with my Mother?" She asked in a jokingly formal kind of way.
"Vell, Jane is a vonferful voman. I admire her." He told Hermione and she looked at him for a long while.
"She is going to stay at my house and start a dental practice." He admitted and Hermione let her mouth fall agape.
"She is moving in with you?! I didn't realise things were moving so quickly." She gasped.
"No, no. I don't live there, do I? It is so that she can stay close vith you." He told her and her expression softened.
"Well, alright then. But make sure that you take care of her. I will know if you don't." She warned and he chuckled.
"Of course." He smiled and allowed himself to hope, where Jane was concerned.

Luna stood with Mladen and watched as everyone danced. He did not speak much, but she didn't mind the silence. Mladen wanted to ask her to dance But they had just met and it felt too soon to ask such a thing. He wondered what his Brother would do, since he seemed to have all of the luck with women and he turned to Luna.
"Vould you like to dance?" He asked her and blushed as he waited for her answer. Luna smiled up at him and took his hand.
"I would love to." She dragged him out onto the dancefloor and they began spinning around in circles , as Luna led Mladen around and Viktor laughed happily as he watched the two, hoping that they both might get some luck.

Neville danced with Hermione then. It had been a little while since they had seen each other and they were both glad to be back in each other's company. They performed the politeness and then Hermione told him about the second challenge.
"Mermaids, now that is tricky." He thought for a moment about all of the herbs and remedies he knew.
"It is a long shot, but we could try gillyweed." He mused aloud.
"What is gillyweed?" Hermione asked, glad that Neville knew more about this than she did.
"Gillyweed allows you to breath underwater for long periods of time. But it is very hard to come by. I would have to get in contact with some people to find it." He furrowed his brows, making plans in his head.
"I will pay you." Hermione told him and he shook his head.
"No you won't. It is good experience for me." He smiled and she sighed, knowing that she would not change his mind.

Hermione and Viktor finally got to dance together after that. Hermione was troubled. Too much was changing.
"Are you alright?" Viktor asked and Hermione sighed.
"I don't know. It is all too much. My mum and Chigvintsev, Luna and your Brother, everything is falling into place, but I feel so stressed. I don't understand it." She shook her head, wishing she could just be happy for everyone.
"You don't need to think about anyone but yourself, okay? Your Mother is an adult, Chigvintsev is an adult and Luna and my Brother vill do as they please. I vill keep an eye on them. But please, just focus on yourself?" He asked her and she nodded, her stress subsiding a little.

The countdown came and Hermione sat on Viktor's lap. He beamed up at her, so glad that everything had gone the way it had. When they reached one, Hermione placed her hands on either side of Viktor's face and kissed him. She didn't see, but Chigvintsev placed a peck on Jane's cheeks and Mladen received a peck from a brave Luna. Both blushed after, but she was glad that she had done it.

Everyone in attendance knew that Hermione and Viktor were going to be on the front page of every magazine and newspaper the next morning. They had never seen him smile so much, and it seemed the ring on the girl's finger was the cause of his joy.

Hermione knew that times were going to be hard. She was glad that her Mother was back, but it would take a while to become truly comfortable again. There were still the two final challenges of the tournament. But Viktor was going to be there for all of it. Everything seemed to be falling into place and Hermione knew that no matter what this year threw at her, it was going to be a good one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 8.6K 27
Daughter of the legendary Grindelwald, Rhiannon has attended Durmstrang Institute for three years. But now year four rolls around and with it, the Tr...
14.7K 186 31
(Book 4) (completed) Hermione Granger never expected to have a normal year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. So far, she had set a teach...
37.3K 1.8K 34
Sparks fly when Draco and Hermione work together to solve a murder at Durmstrang. Draco, unwilling to face his peers at Hogwarts, enrolls at Durmstr...
2.1M 45.5K 51
A Gryffindor girl, finally making her return to Hogwarts after being away for 5 years. A Slytherin boy, cocky, arrogant and lonely. The two unexpec...