A Year Abroad (Hermione/Vikto...

By paigelindssay

In an alternative universe, Hermione is at the end of her third year, the war is over and Dumbledore has been... More

Changing Places
First Impressions
Problems with Boggarts
Exhile
The Love Potion
Help From The Headmaster
Redemption
Building Bridges
War Stories
New Arrivals
Fire
Soft Souls
Wipe
Memories
Return
Anxiety
Relaxation
Glass
Departure
The Sea
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
Christmas Day
Three Men
Rain Training
The Friendly Giant
A Girl of Durmstrang
Finally Free
Decisions
My Valentine
Difficult Choices
Honesty
Breaking The News
Problems with Reporters
The Jersey
Moving Out
Moving In
Making Arrangements
Biggest Fan
Support
Here Comes The Rain
Rain Games
Life Changes
The Split
The Aftermath
Arriving Alone
Acknowledgment
Surprise Visit
En España
Dragon Training
Communication
Your Hands Are Cold
Photographs
Birthdays
Stupid In Love
Christmas With The Krums
New Year
Diving Under
Explosive Emotions
Final Challenge
Celebrations
Happy Birthday Hermione
Surprise Party
Visions
Changing The Future
Mediwitches and Muggles
Muggle World
The Fall
Isolation
Look Through My Eyes
The Garden Party
Graduation
Best Man
The Stag Night
The End

Making Time

1K 40 0
By paigelindssay

The date was set, Bulgaria had made it to the World Cup final and Viktor could not have been more proud of his team. However, That particular sunday afternoon was the worst time for the final match to take place, for it was the day of Hermione's first test in the Triwizard Tournament.

Viktor knew he had to be there, he knew that he had to support Hermione, but he had no idea how to. He decided to confide in a Witch who he was sure would know what to do.

McGonagall was surprised when Viktor Krum had requested a meeting with her. She was unsure what the status of his and Hermione's relationship was. But she would help him if she could.
"I haff to be here, for her. But the match is at the same time." He told her and she understood his issue. Time was against him and, luckily for him, time was something that McGonagall knew about.
"I see. Well, luckily for you, I have just the thing." She knew that one day a student would need the use of her time turner. But alas, Viktor was not a student at all. But for Hermione, she would let him use it.

Viktor looked at the fabled item. He had never seen a time turner in the flesh. He took it carefully, into his large palm.
"Do you know how to use it?" She asked and Viktor snapped out of a trance.
"Three turns?" He asked, wondering how many hours he could get away with.
"Very good, Mr Krum. But I must warn you that you must be back in Bulgaria at the time that you left, else you will cause damage to us all." She looked at him with severity in her eyes.
"I understand." Viktor bowed, thanking McGonagall, before leaving her office.

Hermione was scared, being face to face with a dragon was not something that she wanted to do again. But, she had entered this and she would be alone in facing the beast.
"I wish Viktor could be there." She sighed, sitting with Seamus at dinner.
"I haven't seen him since that night at the three broomsticks. We've been so busy, so we've only been sending letters to one another." She sighed. Seamus recognised the expression from when she had first fallen giddy for Viktor. Despite her supposed sorrow, he could see that underneath she was happy.
"Don't worry too much. I am sure that you will be able to see him after. It's not like he hasn't got a good excuse." Seamus told her and she nodded in agreement, the World Cup was not something to scoff at and Hermione knew that it was going to be the biggest day of his life. She only wished that she could be there for him. But that was impossible

Cormac was terrified. Under all of his false confidence and self assurance, he was frightened. With each day that passed he wished he hadn't put his name in the goblet of fire a little bit more. He had no idea what was coming and that uncertainty scared him to his core. He looked at Hermione, all silent confidence and quiet certainty and envied her. He had never liked her, far from it. But he wished that he was as calm as she seemed in this moment.

Neville secretly was cheering for Durmstrang and Hermione. He knew if he told anyone that he would be exiled from social life, but not only was Hermione one of his closest friends, she had the best ability of the lot and if he was a betting man, he would have put all of his money on Hermione.

Viktor showed the time turner to Andre, who stared at it in wonder.
"You are going to go back in time for her?" He asked and Viktor nodded.
"I have a girlfriend, but I am not sure if I would do that for her." He scoffed and Viktor wondered if she was a witch of Hermione's standard and shook his head.
"She is quite young. Have you guys ever-" Andre wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive manner.
"She turned seventeen in September and I don't turn twenty for another few months. So the age difference is not that large and no is the answer to your question." He sighed.
"Why? It has been so long." Andre asked Viktor, his brows furrowed.
"I want to, but I could never force her." He looked down at his boots.
"You don't have to force her, have you ever thought that she might want to as well?" He asked and Viktor wondered if Hermione felt the same way that he felt about her and found that he was rather unsure.
"I don't know. She has never initiated anything." Andre let his head fall into his hands.
"Well of course she hasn't. You are so much older than her, you must be the one to make the first move. She will tell you if she does not want you." He told him with encouragement in his voice and Viktor wondered if Hermione would be receptive to such an act.

The day soon came around and Hermione could feel herself shaking in her boots. Chigvintsev knocked on her door and presented her with a uniform that appeared similar to the Durmstrang quidditch uniform.
"You must look like a girl of Durmstrang." He smiled down at her and saw her scared face looking back up at him.
"Hermione, you are ready. I would not send you out there if you were not." He told her and she nodded her head, convincing herself of his words.

She changed and found the trousers rather comfortable. They were tighter than the quidditch attire, but she was glad of this, not wanting to be engulfed by fabric. She walked with her head held high and her arms pressed close to her sides.

Viktor had never been more nervous in his life. He knew that he had to win the match, but then he had to go back to watch Hermione. He would have to wait to lift the cup, but for Hermione, it was worth it.

The match against Japan was a challenge for the Bulgarian boys. The Japanese played in a clever, tactical way. Whereas, the Bulgarian boys played with brutish force and might. They all knew it was going to come down to Viktor. But he pushed this pressure aside and played his own game.

He had received a letter from Hermione the day before.
I am sorry that I cannot be there to watch you win the World Cup, but I am far too busy being blasted to ash. Good Luck.

She teased him and he laughed down at the parchment. He knew that she would not be blasted to ash. And he would be glad to be there, cheering her on.

They took to the air and Viktor focused on the snitch. It was not easy. The Japanese seeker was the second best in the world, after Viktor and one slip up could cost him the entire match. He could not go back to Hermione a loser, he knew that. So he let that fact fuel him and give him that edge that he knew the Japanese seeker did not have.

Bulgaria scored goals, and in turn Japan returned them, but Viktor could not hear any of it. He was focused on the snitch and the snitch alone. Slaven watched as Viktor continued to accelerate until he was flying faster than any wizard he had ever seen. He was tempted to call the boy off, to tell him to slow down, but he knew that Viktor could control himself.

The Japanese seeker tried to keep up and succeeded, until-
"Hiroki, the Japanese seeker has tumbled! That does not look pretty." Came the announcement. Viktor was tempted to turn and check that the wizard was alright, but he knew that the game would have been called to a halt if he was not. So he continued for the snitch.

Viktor pushed and pushed, until there was nothing left for him to give and with one final outstretch of his hand, he felt the cold metal of the snitch in his fist.

The crowd roared, Slaven roared, the men roared, but Viktor was silent. He closed his eyes and sighed. He would not go to Hermione a failure, he would go as a champion.

He was pushed and pulled in all directions, to interviews here and warm downs there, until he managed to get away. He decided to excuse himself to the lavatory, thinking that was an easy place to come back to. He looked at the time on his watch. It was exactly 2:45, so he knew that he had to get back by 1:45 English time. He stood in the cubicle and looked down at the time turner and placed his finger delicately on the spinner. He spun it three times and closed his eyes. Then, when time seemed to start again, he apparated to Hogwarts.

Seamus was waiting for Hermione. This was a massive day for her and since he knew Viktor could not be there, he knew that he had to be. Hermione left the boat, with her head held high and proud. Seamus smiled down at her and took her hand.
"Are you ready?" He asked.
"As I'll ever be." She chuckled.

Viktor found McGonagall quickly.
"Ah Krum, I see the time turner worked she smiled up at him in anticipation of Hermione seeing him.
"Tell me, if I was a betting woman, who would I put my money on?" She asked and Viktor supposed that she deserved a gift in return for him being able to use the time turner.
"Go red." He smiled and she nodded up at him, a smiled beaming on her face.
"Well done, boy. Now come, I can get you into the VIP area." She led him and Viktor felt an excitement bubble within him at the thought of seeing Hermione.

Hermione held Seamus' hand all the way to the tent. She was scared, even if she was ashamed to admit it. But having Seamus there was a massive help. She wished Viktor could be there, she knew that he would have the right thing to say. She supposed he was in the thick of the game by now, she sent him a thought and turned her mind to the task at hand.

She kept her head down when she entered the tent. Viktor stood, a little in shock that she had not noticed him. Seamus looked at him with his brows furrowed.
"Hermione, there is someone here to see you." He whispered to her and she looked up and froze.

Hermione could feel her pulse in her cheeks. How was he here? Surely he hadn't missed the game for her? She would hit him so hard if he had. She approached him, eyes wide with confusion.
"How?" She asked and he held up the time turner for her.
"A time turner? I thought they were all gone." She gasped, in awe of the contraption.
"No, not all gone. I had to be here." He looked down at her with a smile. She wrapped her arms around him and sighed into his chest. This was exactly what she needed. He laid his cheek on her head and closed his eyes.
"I know you are ready. You not need to vorry." He told her and for the first time, she believed him.
"Yes, I know. I can do this." She smiled up at him, with determination in her eyes.

The fact that Viktor had found a way to be there for her was a big deal for Hermione. He was showing to her that he was serious about her and that he was going to support her throughout everything.

Cormac was intimidated by the presence of Krum. He couldn't understand how he was there, and he didn't want to think about it too much. His legs shook as he waited for the task. He still had no clue what was waiting for him. But he was unsure if he was ready.

Dumbledore entered the tent.
"Everyone gather round." He huddled the students in.
"Mr Krum, how good it is to see you." He nodded to Viktor, with a slight confusion in his voice. Viktor bowed in return, enjoying the attention he was receiving.

Dumbledore announced the challenge and Fleur and Cormac shook in their boots, whilst Hermione stood resolute, already knowing the fate of the challenge. Cormac had never seen a dragon before, and as home representative, he was to go first.
"Just go and fetch the egg, Cormac. It's simple really." A Ravenclaw girl cooed to him and he turned and let out a hissing kind of sound that made the girl jump back a few paces.

Hermione watched him go and for a minute, only a minute, she felt sorry for him. She sat beside Viktor and Seamus in silence as she listened to Cormac outside. It took half an hour for him to get the egg, but when he returned, his clothes were ripped, his face was burned and a little of the light that was in his eyes was gone.

Fleur came up to Hermione and extended her hand.
"You are a worthy opponent." She smiled and shook Hermione's hand.
"As are you." Hermione smiled up at the pretty french woman.

It took Fleur far less time to retrieve the egg and when she returned, she only had a hair out of place. She smiled at Hermione, wishing her good luck. Hermione turned to Viktor with wide eyes.
"Just do as ve practiced." He told her nodding. She smiled and looked to Seamus.
"Just don't get your arse burned." He winked at her and watched as she chuckled and walked away. Viktor followed her, pulling Seamus along.
"You're going to vant to vatch this." He told him, smiling in anticipation.

Hermione walked out into the arena and was met with the large beast. Its scales were a kind various shades of brown, lacquered in a golden sheen. She stared it in the eye as silence fell over the audience.

The dragon rose and began walking towards her. Unlike Cormac and Fleur, Hermione did not have a broom, nor a way of escape. Seamus began to shake as the dragon came closer and closer to Hermione. Viktor placed a hand on his shoulder and sent him a knowing smile.

The crowd was dumbfounded. She just stood there. Dumbledore began to worry that the young witch really had just frozen on the spot and was about to be devoured.

But Hermione knew what she was doing. She waited until the dragon was close enough to touch and then she extended one of her hands, her wand in the other.
"Stupify!" She screamed, touching the forehead of the dragon, quickly enough that it could not respond. It looked at her for a moment, before falling to the ground, in a sleep that would take many hours to wake from.

The crowd began to whisper as they watched Hermione limp over the rocks to collect the golden egg. She held it above her head for the minute, trying to add some drama to the situation and heard the Durmstrang boys erupt in applause. A few Hogwarts students began clapping and Neville shouted out a congratulation to Hermione and then suddenly, everyone was clapping.
"Now how did she do that?" Dumbledore asked.
"She touched him, that alvays intensifies the spell." He told him knowingly and Dumbledore nodded, impressed by her tactics.

Seamus laughed.
"Of course, she would make it easier than everyone else." He chuckled to himself.
"It is because she is braver than everyone else. No one vould let the dragon get that close."
"You're right. She's got nerves of steel, that one." He smiled and watched as Hermione entered the tent, not a hair out of place.

Viktor celebrated with her for a moment. But when he looked down at his watch, it was time. Hermione looked at him understandingly.
"Go, you have to go. I cannot tell you how much I have loved you being here and how much it has meant to me. I will come to Sofia in a few hours. I'll get to the Bulgaria tent. Meet me there." She kissed him and watched as he apparated back to Bulgaria.

Hermione stood for a moment. She couldn't believe that she had just knocked out a dragon. And she couldn't believe that Viktor had come to support her. It seemed that everything was turning out far better than she anticipated and she finally relaxed, for the first time in weeks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313 13 4
Flora Etrielle, a 20-year-old homeschooled witch is taken to Hogwarts after her parents are brutally murdered by Death Eaters. Voldemort is on the hu...
67 1 8
after the war, there should be nothing stopping Harry from having a normal last year at school - right? an enemies to lovers drarry fanfiction
39.3K 1.3K 58
Malaya Hansley wants nothing more than a normal school year. With a dark and mysterious past that seems to follow her everywhere, she leaves her home...
226 10 9
"In accordance with The Postwar Population Planning Act, witches or wizards above the age of seventeen will be required to form a marriage union with...