A Year Abroad (Hermione/Vikto...

By paigelindssay

In an alternative universe, Hermione is at the end of her third year, the war is over and Dumbledore has been... More

Changing Places
First Impressions
Problems with Boggarts
Exhile
The Love Potion
Help From The Headmaster
Redemption
Building Bridges
War Stories
New Arrivals
Fire
Soft Souls
Wipe
Memories
Return
Anxiety
Relaxation
Glass
Departure
The Sea
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
Christmas Day
Three Men
Rain Training
The Friendly Giant
A Girl of Durmstrang
Finally Free
Decisions
My Valentine
Difficult Choices
Honesty
Breaking The News
Problems with Reporters
The Jersey
Moving Out
Moving In
Making Arrangements
Biggest Fan
Support
Here Comes The Rain
Rain Games
The Split
The Aftermath
Arriving Alone
Acknowledgment
Surprise Visit
En EspaΓ±a
Dragon Training
Communication
Making Time
Your Hands Are Cold
Photographs
Birthdays
Stupid In Love
Christmas With The Krums
New Year
Diving Under
Explosive Emotions
Final Challenge
Celebrations
Happy Birthday Hermione
Surprise Party
Visions
Changing The Future
Mediwitches and Muggles
Muggle World
The Fall
Isolation
Look Through My Eyes
The Garden Party
Graduation
Best Man
The Stag Night
The End

Life Changes

1.1K 41 1
By paigelindssay

It was only a week away from Bulgaria's first friendly of the season. They were playing against Japan, who in the few years they had been taking Quidditch seriously, had improved leaps and bounds. The boys had been working hard, in order to ensure a win against Japan. Thankfully, the rain had eased off, making training far easier for the boys.

Hermione had been working hard as well. Her hands were sore from all of the glass she had blown, but she had a long list of happy, satisfied customers and an even longer list of witches and wizards waiting for Hermione's services. It was overwhelming, the amount of attention she was receiving for her artwork. But Hermione knew that without hard work, she could have never gotten to where she was.

Seamus had become an even better friend to Hermione, accompanying her to her visits with Draco. He had never mentioned anything romantic again and Hermione was glad of this. She could not handle the guilt she felt when he said such things. Draco, seemed to be recovering. He was out of bed and using magic here and there. This was encouraging to Hermione.

They sat together one day. In McGonagall's living room, drinking tea and speaking of Quidditch.
"Is Viktor ready for the big game against Japan?" Draco asked. He had been following the Quidditch in the paper.
"Yes, I think so. The boys have been training him so hard I can't imagine him not being prepared." Hermione smiled and sipped on her tea.
"I think Potter is bringing around his projector so we can watch it." Both Seamus and Hermione went silent and looked at one another.
"Who?" Hermione asked, wondering if she had heard correctly.
"Potter, Harry Potter. He has been visiting me a few times a week. It's nice. I never thought he liked me, but he's been coming for the last few weeks. It's great to have someone from Hogwarts, to gossip with. Not that you guys aren't great." He began mumbling.
"We understand." Seamus smiled down at Draco, bringing an end to the mumbling.
"It's great that you are spending more time with Harry." Hermione nodded.

When she got home, Hermione thought about the Harry situation. She guessed he had received her letter and gone to Draco, which she was glad about. But there was something rude about taking a person's advice and not telling them. She had asked him to go and see Draco and he had, why was that not enough? She didn't know. But something didn't sit right with Hermione about it all.

Viktor had asked Hermione to come to the game that weekend. He felt he always played better when she was there, maybe it was because he wanted to impress her, he wasn't sure. He hadn't told her, but earlier that week, Slaven had asked Viktor to graduate from Durmstrang, without going to the Tri Wizard Tournament and play full-time for Bulgaria. Viktor didn't know how to feel. He had always dreamed of winning the tournament, but playing for his country, and being paid to do it. He was unsure he could turn that offer down. He wanted to honour his school and his family, but he was unsure which would honour them more. He was confused, and there was only one person he could ask.

Andon hadn't expected a visit from his son. But when he opened the door to Viktor, he was delighted to see his boy.
"Come in, come in." He ushered him in. Ada was out for the evening with friends, so Viktor and Andon had the house to themselves. Andon could tell that his son was in pain. His face was tight and his eyes lifeless.
"What have you come to speak to me about, son?" He asked and Viktor told him the situation.
"My son, the lead seeker for Bulgaria? I couldn't think of a better to way for you to honour our family son." Andon swelled with pride.
"But Father, what about the Triwizard Tournament?" Viktor asked.
"For me, I think they are in two different leagues. You win the tournament, you are the best young wizard in Europe. You become the lead seeker for Bulgaria, you are one of the best quidditch players in the world!" Andon exclaimed and Viktor knew his Father was right.
"I agree with you, Father. But what about Her-my-knee?" He asked, looking down at his hands.
"What about her?" His Father asked.
"I will have to leave her. She will be alone at Durmstrang without me." That wasn't strictly true, she had Seamus, but still one friend is not enough.
"Son, if she loves you, she will want what is best for you. You will make it work." Andon bat his son on the back.
"It is your decision, but you know how I feel. I will not tell your Mother about this, but think carefully before you make your decision, Son." Viktor left having made his decision. His Father was right. If Hermione loved him, she would support him in this.

Game day came and Viktor could not wait another minute to play for Bulgaria. He had found it difficult to keep his decision from Hermione. But he would tell her when the time was right. He had left early that morning, before Hermione was awake, but she had wished him luck the night before. Viktor looked at himself in his red robes and felt more proud than he had ever felt before. Red was most definitely his colour.

Hermione had invited Seamus and Chigvintsev along to the game. They stood together in the stands. Seamus had a hunk of meat on a stick, Hermione sipped on a butterbeer and Chigvintsev indulged himself with some chocolate coated nuts. It was windy, yet warm in Tokyo and one had to shout loudly to be heard. But Hermione was enjoying herself. She had never been to Japan before and she and Seamus had apparated further than they ever had before that morning, from Bulgaria to Japan, with the help of Chigvintsev.

Despite her happiness, Hermione knew something wasn't right. Viktor had been much better since the rain had gone, but he was keeping something from her, she knew it. She wished he would just tell her. Whatever it was, it couldn't be that bad.

Her thoughts were put to one side when the players began taking to the sky. Viktor looked like a natural on his broom. Hermione smiled, hearing the crowd cheer for him. He was loved by his fans and she could tell he loved them to.

It was obvious, once the game began, that Bulgaria were of a far higher standard than Japan. But they were putting up a good fight. The slim, tall players seemed far quicker than the burly players of Bulgaria. But their brawn seemed to give them the upper hand and they scored time and time again. Viktor had been assisting in goals up until this point. But now he was focused on the snitch. Hermione watched as he zoned in on the small golden ball. He was in his element. He pursued the ball, seeming happier than she had ever seen him before. And then it clicked: he wasn't coming back. The realisation hit Hermione in the gut and she placed a hand over her mouth, to muffle the small cry that came from her. That was what he was keeping from her, he didn't know how to tell her. She knew that they would ask him to stay permanently, anyone could see he was the best player on the pitch. She could no longer focus on the game. She watched, but it was as if she needed glasses and hearing aids, because everything was out of focus and dull.

Viktor caught the snitch in no time and Bulgaria won the match. The men celebrated with him and he smiled wider than Hermione had seen him smile in a long while. She felt like a failure. She could not make him happy like quidditch could. She thought she was doing everything right, she thought she was being a good girlfriend, but maybe not. Without thinking, she lent over to Chigvintsev and whispered:
"He's not going to come back to Durmstrang." Her voice was barely audible, but Chigvintsev heard her.
"I think you're right." He whispered in reply. But he did not seem sad, it seemed inevitable to the headmaster that Viktor would stay and play professional quidditch. It was what he was made for. Hermione wondered how long ago he had made his decision, and how long he had kept it from her.

She didn't want to be at the game anymore. Bulgaria had one and she was glad. But she needed to be somewhere else in that moment.
"I'm going to go take a few minutes. I'll be back. I just need to-" Chigvintsev took her hand and squeezed it.
"Go, ve'll be here vhen you get back." He whispered to her and Seamus nodded. Hermione thanked them then apparated to the one place she thought she could be in that moment.

It seemed no one had stayed on for the summer at Hogwarts. Hermione walked through the empty halls and thought of the pain she had endured here, in comparison to what she was feeling now. She would get through this, it was nothing in comparison. The deceit was worse than the act itself. Hermione was proud of Viktor for planning to stay on with Bulgaria. Of course she could be wrong, but Chigvintsev seemed to get the same idea so she had a pretty good idea. She would have to get used to being alone. Apart from Seamus, she had no one her age at Durmstrang. But she had to remind herself that she didn't choose to move to Durmstrang for Viktor, it was for herself.

After a while, Hermione took a deep breath and apparated back to Japan, which had become easier now. Just as promised, Chigvintsev and Seamus were exactly where she had left them.
"Better?" Seamus asked and Hermione nodded, smiling down at him, taking his hand.
"Let's go and see Viktor." Chigvintsev suggested and they all moved together, walking in a regimented line. Hermione felt safe with Chigvintsev in front of her and Seamus behind her.

Viktor was very proud of himself, he had played an impressive game. He smiled when he saw Chigvintsev and embraced him tightly.
"It is a shame you will not be joining us next year." He whispered to Viktor in his mother tongue and Viktor froze.
"How did you know?" He asked quickly.
"It was written on your face. Congratulations." Chigvintsev smiled at Viktor and gave Hermione the floor. Viktor was mortified. His face went white with embarrassment.
"You played a good game. Well done." She congratulated him.
"Well done, man. Well played." Seamus shook his hand.
"Thank you." Viktor thanked them both.
"I am going to take them back for some tea. I'll see you at home." Hermione smiled to Viktor and then walked away, with Chigvintsev and Seamus. He knew he had done wrong this time and he had no idea how to get himself out of it.

Seamus couldn't join Hermione and Chigvintsev for tea, he explained he had to look after his younger brother and Hermione understood. So it was just her and the Headmaster who sat out in the garden with tea and coffee cake.
"How do you feel?" Chigvintsev asked Hermione, his bushy eyebrows furrowing in concern.
"It is not the fact that he is staying. Part of me thinks he is making the right decision. I just wish he had told me. I have not known Durmstrang without him. It will be strange is all." She took a bite out of her coffee cake and furrowed her eyebrows in thought.
"If it is a consolation, you von't be at Durmstrang long enough next year to think about it." Hermione looked up at the smug looking Headmaster, with curiosity in her eyes.
"I don't understand." She shook her head.
"I vas going to vait to tell you, but now seems the right time. You are one of my three men, Hermione." He bowed his head to her, leaving Hermione speechless.
"I don't understand." Hermione repeated herself and Chigvintsev chuckled lightly.
"You are coming vith me to put your name in the Goblet of Fire." He explained and Hermione felt the blood drain out of her face.
"But why?" She asked and Chigvintsev chuckled again.
"You are my finest student, and you have experience that my boys could not dream of." Hermione shook her head, a smile beginning to spread on her face.
"I don't know what to say." She laughed, bringing a hand over her mouth.
"You don't need to say a thing. You are an amazing talent, Hermione; and if my gut is right, you shall represent Durmstrang in the Trivizard Tournament." Hermione beamed up at Chigvintsev.
"Thank you, Sir."

The Headmaster left soon after and Hermione was unsure how to react. She was proud of herself, amazingly so. But she was also overwhelmed by the task at hand. She would be returning to Hogwarts as a foreigner, an enemy. She was not looking forward to that. But representing Durmstrang? She couldn't wait. She was excited to tell Viktor. Even if he didn't want to tell her his news, she could not wait to tell him hers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 3.3K 47
˚.ΰΌ„| π—•π—Ÿπ—¨π—˜ π—™π—Ÿπ—”π— π—˜π—¦ ♑⋆.ೃ࿔* 【 π™·π™°πšπšπšˆ π™Ώπ™Ύπšƒπšƒπ™΄πš 】༄*ΰ³ƒβ‹…Β°βœ§ Β° . Β· ΰΌ„ ⇲ こんにけは𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐒 when a boy who Likes a girl, W...
277K 6.1K 16
BOOK 3 (Modern time/no war or Voldemort) Y/n Y/l/n is a Slytherin, in her sixth year of Hogwarts, who befriends the brightest witch of their age. Her...
9.6K 179 25
After the war, the students come back to Hogwarts for an 8th year to catch up for everything they have missed, giving the opportunity for an unexpect...
2.1M 45.5K 51
A Gryffindor girl, finally making her return to Hogwarts after being away for 5 years. A Slytherin boy, cocky, arrogant and lonely. The two unexpec...