BURNED

Від PatraTheDreamer

Yamina London and her daughter have fallen on hard times. This was nothing new right? Orion is a man with man... Більше

COPYRIGHT (BURNED BY: PATRA TAYLOR)
1| Stranger
2| The Interview
3| A New Job
4| Small Favors
5|Mama Dearest
6| What You Mean To Me
7| Surprising Surprises
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 9

51 3 0
Від PatraTheDreamer

It was the very next day. I did my usual shift at the Diner, Hailey was in school, and the aid was taking care of mom. I couldn't help the growing excitement that was welling up inside me as the day inched closer and closer to my meeting with Orion. I thought about what I would wear down to the very last detail. Hailey would be out again, and there was a possibility that mom would have dinner with us tonight.

Finally my shift came to a close, and I hugged Cana goodnight. I headed home, unlocking the door. I walked inside leaving my shoes by the door, but soon I grew suspicious. Delightful smells wafted from the kitchen. Apple, cinnamon, savory cooking cream, and more. I walked into the kitchen and nearly coughed up my lungs. There in the kitchen was my mom, she moved extremely slow but her smile was big.

Standing in an apron was Orion. He looked up at me in the doorway, setting down a spoon. He walked towards me, and I nearly fainted. I was sweaty and who knows what else. My hair was sticking out in every direction, and I had grease stains on my uniform. I nervously waited as he stepped around the island, attempting to smooth down my hair. He stopped in front of me, not smiling yet I could see the amusement in his eyes.

"I thought I'd surprise you and get things going. I also made a promise to you. I was speaking with your lovely mother."

I stared in awe as she sat down. It was the first time she actually wanted to be up since everything happen. She had the hugest smile on her face, and it warmed my heart just a little. I sat down my bags walking over to mom. She reached out her arms as I walked towards her.

"Totally fan girling over here. See? I told you he was perfect for you."

I laughed hugging her tight.

"That was a silly fantasy mom."

"Yet here he is in my living room of all places."

"It's a pleasure to be here with such a intelligent woman such as your daughter." he said, turning to look at me.

"You to get cleaned up, I'll be here. Your mom was just about to teach me how to make her famous peach cobbler."

*****

Yamina had walked in with her sweaty hair and apron. I could tell she felt self conscious by how tense she was, but she had no reason to be. She looked even more stunning in her natural state. Of course, I was imagining her wearing only the apron but a man can dream. As she walked away I turned to her mother who was just as beautiful. Her brown skin glowing like the afternoon sun.

"So Orion, what really brings you here?" Her mother says.

"I heard that you had been sick, and decided it would be an honor to drop by and see you and your daughter was one of my best employees." I broke Jaws just for people blinking wrong." She said, waving a wooden spoon.

I started to object and say it was nothing like that, but she was having none of it.

"Now hand me those peaches so I can show you how it's done."
*****

It was about forty-five minutes later, I had freshened up, put my hair in a bun, and found my wackiest T-shirt and some old sweat pants. Two tendrils of hair hung down on either side of my head. I slipped on some old sneakers, and then I made my way down stairs. Delightful smells wafted up, and acute noses ran in my family.

I opened the kitchen door to find them cooking away. I saw greens, yams, mac and cheese, gravied pork chops, sautéed lamb, cornbread, and rolls. I sniffed each dish and a delightful smile spread across my face. Orion was eyeing me in a weird way, but this time I could tell he was in awe. Clearly he never expected me to be in sweat pants around him. Well I was just that girl, what you see is what you get.

"Ready to be defeated?" I asked.

"Well since you put it that way I guess I won't have to feel bad when you cry." He said raising a brow.

"Oh it's totally on Mr."

About an hour later I was there setting the table. I was eyeing his version of fried chicken and I was slightly impressed. Honestly my palms were sweaty a bit, I wasn't expecting his to come out that good. Mom would be the judge. I told her to let me have it if I failed, and she agreed. I set out three plates while Orion poured the drinks.

We all took a seat, and it was the moment of truth. We all took a bite of his food and I was surprised. The chicken was juicy, the crust was crispy and well seasoned. It didn't exactly taste like my fried chicken but it was a close one. Warmth spread all over my body, I loved food. I finished off a leg before moving on to my own.

"Clearly you're the winner here Mrs. London. This is delectable."

"Thank you yours was quite nice as well. It was different what was in it?"

"Much of the same. Only difference being dried orange peel, allspice, cracked pepper, and sea salt."

My mom eyed him and smiled.

"Well that was amazing. Even the blueberry pie. Where did you learn to cook?"

He paused, thought about the answer and looked at me.

"I wanted to be a chef once upon a time, but life called me to a different purpose and I answered."

"Wow I never knew, well he never mentioned it. But I kind of ran away last minute, which I'm so sorry about. You were generous. Thank you."

He nodded, finishing off his food. The rest of the night was filled with laughter, and me cringing as my mom showed him baby pictures, and telling him my childhood stories. On several occasions I even saw a ghost of a smile appear on his lips. The night ended with my mom asleep on the chair after they argued about who would win the game.

Later we stood on the porch, drinking lemonade and talking about life.

"I wanted to be a lot of things," I said.

"Doctor, fashion blogger, cook, artist. I wanted to do it all. There's not enough time in the world. So I told myself that I would live everyday like it was my last. Time is nothing, I only live in the moment. If you don't dwell on what was, or what you wish could be you're in a happy place. Even Jesus said fret not about tomorrow."

"Jesus?" he said, raising a brow.

"Yes Jesus. Even though they depict him as some light guy with brown hair doesn't mean that's what he looked like, and two he's real. I know he is. Anybody that could create beings capable of love has to be something bigger than us all."

"You believe all that stuff?" he asked.

"With all of my heart and soul. We can just assume that everything is a process of evolution, atoms, space, matter. But we can deny the fact that something greater brought it all together. Besides is that so bad? Believing in something greater than us? If I didn't I don't think my life would have as much meaning."

"That's a positive way to look at it. I guess when you put it that way it does have a slight appeal."

I raised my brow.

"You don't believe in Jesus?" I asked.

Something dark flashed across his face. It froze me to my core, I wasn't sure what it was yet but the look in his eyes was dark and deep.

"I believe to a certain extent. Just when you're forced to learn something, makes it look a little like brain washing."

"That's it Mr. Orion you're going to church with me on Sunday."

"Wait, but I--"

"No excuses. You made me go through your little cook off. I'm making you go to church."

******

I sighed at the seriousness in her eyes. Church? Me at a church? I can't remember the last time I even said the word church. Looking into her eyes I knew I wasn't going to get out of it. I silently choked myself, or at least I imagined I was. I simply nodded taking in her beauty. A beautiful woman could set you straight if you loved her that is. I pushed that thought out of my head, and I waved her goodbye.

I waited for her to go inside. Made sure she was safe and sound. I dialed up my sister, she would laugh when she heard this. I braced myself for the sisterly antics that were sure to come.

"Hello sis. So, I was wondering if you could help me find something suitable to wear to church." I rolled my eyes as she gasped on the other end. Mocking me, but gleefully cheering all at the same time.

........

HEY THERE READERS DON'T FORGET TO VOTE! You might see your name in the next chapter of my story. The way to this is to simply vote and you will be picked at random. Thanks for reading!

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

17.4K 455 60
"I'm the most eligible bachelor of America I'm a billionaire and you're rejecting me" "YES" "Tell me what you want I'll give you anything" " Anything...
101K 2.8K 65
Keira Peers is independent, kind, smart and headstrong girl, She always do what she likes, After her breakup with her not so good boyfriend she promi...
Our Secret [Completed] Від Sophi T

Жіночі романи

196K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
57.3K 1.5K 42
She had her own apartment, her own job, and her own life. Nothing to drag her down. Everything was perfect. Her abusive parents weren't in the pictur...