The Wolf

By 0takuHime

Nico is a broken kid in all aspects. His parents have left him when he was still young, now he is abused by h... More

Ch. 1: The Transfer Student
Ch. 2: The Real Monster
Ch. 3: Nico: Lost and Found
Ch. 4: Breaking Rules and Making Names
Ch. 5: Alex's Determination
Ch. 6: Broken Ribs and a Full Heart
Ch. 7: Nico's return
Ch. 8: Making Plans
Ch. 9: What are Inhibitions Anyway?
Ch. 10: Alex's Confusion
Ch. 11: Excitement and Promises
Ch. 12: Full Moon
Ch. 13: Leaving
Ch. 14: A mission
Ch. 15: Kidnapped
Ch. 16: Nico gone AWOL
Ch. 17: A Useless Meeting
Ch. 18: My Circumstances
Ch. 19: So It Begins
Ch. 20: Home Sweet Home
Ch. 21: The Battle
Ch. 22: Nico Wakes Up
Ch. 23: Measures to Change
Ch. 24: Alex's POV
Ch. 25: Fateful Encounters
Ch. 26: The Truth and The Struggle
Ch. 27: Help
Ch. 28: Nico?
Ch. 29: Welcome Home
Ch. 30: Festive Troubles
Ch. 31: Introductions
Ch. 32: Making Plans
Ch. 33: Wolf Meets Druid
Ch. 34: Coming Together
Ch. 35: Peace Between Clans
Ch. 36: It's Always Been You
Ch. 37: Alex's Memories
Ch. 38: The Lowest Place On Earth
Ch. 39: The Forest for Sinner's Souls
Ch. 40: The Monochrome Forest and Its Ghosts
Ch. 41: Let's Go to War
Ch. 42: Nyx's Plan
Ch. 43: Sorry, Nico
Ch. 44: The Fall
Ch. 45: Exile
Part Two
Ch. 47: Numb
Ch. 48: Lost
Ch. 49: Goodnight, Nico
Ch. 50: Wake up, Nico!
Ch. 51: A Deal With the Devil
Ch. 52: No Rest For The Wicked
Ch. 53: A Sealed Deal
Ch. 54: Nyx's Story
Ch. 55: Taking the Plunge
Ch. 56: Become a Monster
Ch. 57: Killing Innocence
Ch. 58: Martyr
Ch. 59: Another Time
Ch. 60: I Want to Live
Ch. 61: Taking The Plunge, Again
Ch. 62: The Most Deserving
Ch. 63: I Love You Most
Ch 64: Weight Lifted
Epilogue

Ch. 46: The Traitor

2.4K 130 10
By 0takuHime

~Nico~

Almost two years later

"You never listen, do you?" Uncle Joe seethes. His fingers are tangled in my black hair as he pulls me toward the back door.

"I-I'm sorry, I won't do it again!" I plead.

He pulls the door open with one hand, the other knotted against my head. "No, no more of your magic and monster bullshit. I've had enough. You can spend the night outside and repent for what you've done."

I fly into the snow piled up on the ground. The shadows reflected on the snow are a navy blue that licks at the sliver of golden light escaping from the house. The door slams shut behind me. I pull myself off the ground and growl low. Even after a year of being back, the treatment is no different.

I didn't even do anything wrong. All I did was read the magic tome that I received from Luca before I discovered that he was a traitor. But Uncle Joe hates anything to do with the supernatural, even seeing the book was enough to set him off again. I wipe away the blood at the corner of my mouth.

I walk around to the front of the house and down the street towards town. I've finally graduated from high school this year and got a small job at a book store, but besides that, it's been pretty uneventful-- If you call a summer full of summer school and delusions uneventful.

"So, where are we going tonight?" A voice questions besides me.

My jaw clenches up at the sound of her voice. She's not real Nico, don't get all worked up. It's impossible for her to be here and in Alex's body. I glare at the beautiful girl dressed in a black dress. My hallucinations haven't stopped yet, but I've managed to compress them into one thing. That thing being my own personal Nyx. Lucky me.

"Who knows," I say through gritted teeth, shrugging my shoulders.

Snow drifts down from the clouds above without a sound. I'm wearing a thin hoodie and skinny jeans with a pair of converse to cover my feet. It's not like I'll get cold, but I will feel the dampness from the snow.

The streets are devoid of people. The occasional car will pass by, but besides that, I'm left alone in the solitary snowy world. The street lights provide me with enough light to guide my way along with the help of my enhanced vision from being a werewolf.

"Oh, that's the park that you and Kat used to hang out at, right?" Nyx runs ahead and peers into the dark little lot.

"Yep. That was a long time ago." I stand at the entrance of the park and look in at the swings covered in snow. "We used to sit here and chat for hours because neither of us wanted to go home." I dust the thick layer of white powder covering the seat and sit down wearily.

"It's too bad we could never hang out here," Alex says.

I look up at him. My throat clenches shut as our eyes meet. I know he's not real. I know he's just a figment of my imagination. But he looks just like the last time I saw him. I wish it was really him. I avoid looking at him and start swinging back and forth slowly.

Alex steps closer. I swear I could almost hear the sound of his footsteps crunching in the snow. "You're just going to ignore me, huh? That's pretty cold."

I take a shaky breath and pump my legs faster. Please go away. Please. I reach high into the air and let go of the chains, jumping from the small seat and landing on my back in the snow. All the oxygen in my lungs is chased away by the impact. I lay there dazed, staring up into the shifting, cloudy night while snowflakes land on my face.

The brand on my neck throbs as it makes contact with the snow. Sometimes I still get a burning sensation from the mark. It's like a constant reminder that I fucked up. That I lost more than just Alex. I lost my family. I haven't seen Eleanor in forever. I wonder if she's disappointed with me right now. I haven't seen Blake either. Well, I have, but he would just ignore me in school. All the way up to graduation. Dom has visited me at least. He could barely hold a conversation before crying his eyes out, telling me how sorry he is.

I pull myself out of the snow and continue towards downtown. The city is alive with clubs and restaurants as people get drunk and bar hop. I enter a small, nondescript bar that only a few people know about.

The inside is dark with neon red lights and marijuana smoke filling up the air. I find a corner seat and take refuge in the small spot. I close my eyes and let the sounds in the room fill my ears. People are laughing and shrieking with delight as they dance and down drinks. All the chaos around me helps to soothe my mind. It's strange, but it works.

I feel someone push me over in my seat, so I open my eyes. Damien.

"Nikki, it's been awhile. I'm so glad to see your beautiful face tonight." Damien grabs me in his arms tightly and I stiffen under his touch.

"How many times have I told you not to call me that?" I mutter, pushing him off of me. "And it hasn't been that long, I saw you two nights ago."

Damien rolls his dark eyes. "Whatever, for me, it was an eternity."

I scoff. "Nice vampire pun, Damien, but you know why I'm here."

Damien puckers his lips together. "For some sweet loving?" He says suggestively, thrusting out his shoulders seductively.

I heave a sigh with a small smile on my lips. "No, I came to ask if you found out anything on Nyx's whereabouts."

Damien releases an exasperated breath. "Unfortunately, no, Nikki."

I clench my jaw, biting the inside of my cheek roughly. Three months ago we were so close to Nyx, but when we arrived at her hideout, she was already gone. How long is this game of cat and mouse going to drag on for?

Damien settles a hand on my cheek, bringing me back to the present. "You need to loosen up, Nikki. We'll find Nyx eventually. How about we play a little in the mean time?" He settles a soft whisper of a kiss on my lips.

I back away hesitantly. "Fine, but just a little."

Damien smiles coyly. "Even though you used to sleep with anyone in this little ol' bar. Now you're my toy."

~*~*~*~

He's right. When I returned to Uncle Joe's house, things were rough. I couldn't keep my head straight. I would be in school and have panic attacks and hallucinations that I couldn't get under control. Uncle Joe would beat me senseless for causing a commotion at school and making him look bad, so he would often lock me outside of the house just like tonight. On nights like those I would wander around the town for hours, trying to keep myself sane.

One night, I stumbled upon Damien in the street who thought I was "Hot, in a troubled way" and brought me here. A bar for wayward supernatural. One thing lead to another and I was hit on by many guys here. I'm ashamed to say I would sleep with anyone at that point. The body contact kept me grounded to the real world, while the pleasure was the only emotion I could feel besides fear.

Eventually, Damien got worried and started talking seriously with me, asking why I was acting like I was. I told him everything. He believed me and offered to help me. For a price.

"I've got connections with vampires and other supernaturals all over the place, Nikki," He said confidently, "I'm sure we can find that bitch and get your man back."

"Really?" I had asked, not convinced that someone with power like his would help me. I couldn't tell if he was bluffing or not.

"Really, sweetheart. Now I'll help you, but there is a price you're gonna have to pay." At this, Damien drew closer to me.

I felt my spirits drop. "I don't have any money to give."

Damien laughed, his voice like velvet. His laugh was one of belittling a child for their ignorance. "Honey, it's not money I want from you," He slips a hand around my neck and drags it down my chest sensually, "I want pleasure."

I shivered in my spot. Damien is a good-looking guy, but what about Alex? Do I give Damien what he wants and sully myself in the process? Or do I leave Alex lost somewhere with only Nyx by his side? "Fine," I said firmly, "Sounds like a deal."

~*~*~*~

Damien pushes himself against me. My back hits the wall and our legs are entangled together. His plump lips connect with mine and he takes over. His hands feel up my sides and go underneath my shirt. I shiver at the contact, silently wishing for more.

No. I shouldn't be feeling good. Alex is out there, suffering. Yet, here I am, making out with some vampire like a cheap whore. I can't think that way. This is for Alex's sake. I just need to endure.

Damien's knee presses against my crotch and I moan into his mouth. A blush burns my cheeks red. I'm glad the music is so loud that it drowns out my voice. Damien trails kisses down to my neck where he licks and sucks at one spot. I mentally prepare myself as his fangs bite into my flesh, causing me to gasp. My whole body goes warm with pleasure and my neck throbs as he drinks my blood. My mind goes white and for a couple minutes I get to forget about how shitty my life is.

My head lolls to the side as Damien finishes, feeling light headed.

"As always, you taste delicious. The blood of a hybrid and an outcast. What a beautiful combination." Damien picks me up bridal style and carries me to the back room. "I'm sorry. I may have drank more than I intended."

"It's fine," I mumble, "felt good."

"Oh, say that again," Damien says lowly next to my ear.

I mentally blush and hide my face in my hands. Damien places me down on a couch that I can sleep on. The music from the bar is muffled and barely audible from in here. He throws me a blanket from his bed in the corner.

"I see you've got a lot more bruises than before. Where are you getting them all?" Damien inquires, sitting on the arm of the couch.

"I'm just clumsy," I lie, falling slowly into unconsciousness.

Damien pats my hair down. "I wish you could be more honest with me."

~*~*~*~

"Nico," Noct says, "I don't condone your relationship with that vampire. He's barely done anything, yet you're always giving so much more."

I pat Noct's soft fur absentmindedly. "He got us really close to Nyx last time, I'm sure he can do it again. If I have to give up my body for Alex, I'll do it. I've already given up my mind. I wouldn't mind giving up my life for his if I could."

Noct is silent but I can feel his disapproval. It's the century old hate of vampires that wolves carry.

"How are you supposed to grow stronger when you keep letting him suck the blood out of you? You'll never keep yourself fighting fit if you keep this up!" Noct growls low, scratching at the dirt in irritation.

"Well? What else am I supposed to do Noct!" I snap. "I can't ask people from our pack to help because we don't have a pack!" I sit up to glare at him.

Noct flinches at the mention of our lack of pack. "There has to be another way to go about this!" Noct snarls.

I growl deep in my throat. "Well, when you find a better way, how about you let me know? Because all I can think of is this."

Noct is silent, but waves of anger permeate the air around us. We glare at each other without speaking. "You shouldn't have to use your body for payment. It's wrong."

"It's not like I'm not used to having my body used." I say cynically, standing up.

"That's the problem! You'll never get better mentally if you keep selling yourself out." Noct's fur stands up on edge.

I know that he cares and he wants to protect me, but it's impossible. There's no way to keep Nico safe when looking for Alex. All my resources are gone. This is all I have left. Who else is there to help me? No one. Everyone has forsaken me, and for good reason. It's everything I deserve. I've brought this upon myself.

"See?" Noct says in a softer voice. "You're thinking dark thoughts again, aren't you?"

Without realizing it, the space in my mind has grown gradually darker and more gray. I can't hide anything from Noct in here. I place a hand on the back of my neck, an action that has grown into a habit. Nyx's tattoo is cold to the touch and the brand feels burning hot. Traitor. Spy. Used. Exiled. These marks are nothing but shame. Reminders that my actions have consequences.

"I'm sorry, Noct. Let's just wake up now." I avoid his eyes as the scenery fades away and I wake up to the familar back room.

The room is devoid of life. I sit up to get a better look. Damien must still be in the bar. I push off the thin blanket that was used to cover me. I stumble to the door, feeling a bit woozy.

The bar is deserted. Food litters the bar and is crushed on the ground. The floor is sticky underfoot and I cringe as my shoes get stuck to the surface. Damien is wiping the bar down with a rag when I walk in.

"You're finally awake, huh?" He says, dusting his hands off.

I yawn tiredly. "Yeah."

My spirits are low this morning. First, I get a beat down by Uncle Joe; second, Damien doesn't have any news on Nyx's location, and third, Noct and I got into a stupid fight again. We've been butting heads more and more lately. He wants me to stay as pure as possible for our mate, but he sometimes misses the fact that Alex isn't here because of my stupidity.

"What's wrong? You seem down." Damien finishes wiping down the bar and grabs a broom.

I head toward the exit. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. I'll be leaving now, see you later."

Damien heaves a sigh. "As cold as ever, I see."

The club door closes behind me as I head out. I can't help being cold to people. After Luca's betrayal, I can't seem to trust people's intentions anymore. I always see a hidden motive. It's for the best, though. I don't want to be stabbed in the back, and I'm keeping people safe by not getting involved with them.

"What was that?" Noct inquires suddenly.

I stop walking. "What was what?" I question, glancing around me suddenly alert.

"In that alleyway. I thought I saw something moving." Noct's voice is low and warning.

My muscles bunch together as I creep toward the entrance of the alley to get a better look. I peer into the darkness. With my werewolf sight, I can tell that there's noone down there. I ease up for a second before I turn to leave and see a face watching me. My hand jumps to my mouth as I stiffle the scream that threatens to escape.

"Hey, Nico, it's been awhile," Kat's body forms from the shadows.

"Kat?!" I ask in disbelief. Is this another illusion?

"Yo. I've been watching over you, just like I promised, so I have to warn you now-"

"How the hell are you here?" I interrupt.

Kat rolls her eyes in annoyance. "Ever since Nyx brought me to that shadow world, I've been able to slip out of heaven every now and then to get some fresh air."

Guilt begins to fill up my stomach like wet concrete. Another result of Nyx's manipulation. Just because Kat knew me, now she also suffers the consequences.

"Oh, come on, Nico. You look like you're about to cough up a hairball. It doesn't bother me, OK? So it shouldn't bother you." Nyx tilts her head to look up at me.

I nod my head, not convinced.

"Well, because of this new ability, I'm able to warn you." Kat's voice turns solemn.

"About what?" I pull myself together. This is no time for self-pitying. Kat came all this way, I should hear her out.

"Something big and bad is coming to this town, Nico. I can feel it. All the ghosts are hiding away in their graves, scared to come out. I've checked around and it seems like something is hunting here." Kat's usual pale face looks paper white in the gray morning light. "And it's hunting werewolves."

A lump forms in my throat and I get the sudden urge to look behind me. "How did you find this out?" I whisper lowly.

"Whenever someone dies, they release this energy as their soul is being forced out of their body. So, when I first came down here from heaven to look around, I felt this energy. I was curious, so I decided to follow it. What I found was a corpse and a spirit sleeping next to it. To say I was shook would be an understatement." Kat wraps her arms around herself and shivers. "I woke the person up, they were really disoriented at first, but they remembered soon enough."

"Well? What did they say?" Fear rises in my stomach. Why is this happening now? Right when I need to find Alex.

"A woman with silver hair killed them. She had silver eyes and brutal strength. Nico, you've got to keep your wolfiness down low. Got it?" I can see the fear in Kat's eyes as well.

My lips tremble as I suck in a deep breath. "After telling me that, you think I would go and show off?" I laugh brittly.

"This isn't a joking matter, Nico. Three wolves are dead. Stay safe. I'll keep investigating this." Kat turns back toward the shadows, about to fade away.

"You too, Kat, stay safe. Don't get caught." Kat's small form fades into mist and suddenly I'm left alone in the alleyway feeling vulnerable.

Now I have to put dodging a hunter on my list of things to do. I wish I had more information. We don't know whether they hunt by scent or if they have an informant. Either way, I can't be discovered now. I still have yet to find Alex. Until then, I can't afford to die.

A/N: I miss Alex. I like doing his POV. Maybe I'll do one where he is squished inside of his mind kind of like how Nico goes into his head, except that Alex can't leave when he wants. Who knows, I think that would be fun. But would it be too revealing? Let me know what you think, if you'd like that. I'll keep it in mind for later chapters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 51K 22
Jordan Patterson has to accept that his number one nemesis is the one he's destined to love for the rest of his immortal life. Ever since childhood...
96.9K 4.1K 134
[[MATURE CONTENT]] Pack, family, mate. Loyalty, respect, honor. These are the words that form the foundation of the wolf society. At six years old, E...
7.5K 331 12
# 2nd Place Scarlet Awards Nico & Nox ------------------------------ Nico was orphaned at a young age and raised by a few people who showed more kind...
1.4M 44.1K 40
*THE EDITED VERSION OF THIS BOOK IS ON TAPAS* Samuel Wolf, a low-life omega who gets abused by his pack at home and by his bullies at school, can't t...