Destiny's Blood

By MarieBilodeau

A thief of valuable blooms, Layela's dream is finally coming true with the opening of her flower shop on the... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Epilogue
The Saga Continues

Chapter 14

835 27 0
By MarieBilodeau

Josmere sighed in relief as she watched Destiny vanish into the tunnel, only a glittering distortion marking its existence. The stars danced in coats of blue beyond the length of the tunnel, distorted as the wave of tachyon particles stretched before them to create the fastest, most efficient and most dangerous route in the charted universe.

Once in a while, the shimmering length would tremble, and wild, bright colours would travel along it, spread in shapes all intermingling together, as though for one second a portion of the universe was a rainbow viewed through broken glass. That meant a ship was passing, so quickly that a blink of an eye would mean missing its initial splendour, to be left with its scintillating brilliance.

Some races believed that wielding the power of the tachyons was too dangerous, and humanity had paid the price with seizures that had claimed quite a few lives before shutters became obligatory.

But then again, few races aside from humans ever felt the need to leave their homes. Josmere remembered the history of her own people, passed down from aunt to sprout through the generations.

“Time to go.” Josmere ignited the shuttle. They had remained without power, waiting for Destiny to move out of range. It had been a bumpy ride when its engines pushed them forward but, thankfully, the safety belts were high quality. Unfortunately, Layela looked about as green as a Berganda now.

The shuttle’s view changed from the tunnel to regular space, and Josmere waited for the onboard computer to boot and give them an exact location. It wasn’t a new computer system, that was evident, but its star maps should be fairly up-to-date.

“Oh,” Josmere exclaimed as the maps showed their position.

Layela grunted questioningly, her forearm covering her eyes as she leaned back against the seat.

Serves her right for flashing me with that light! Josmere wisely kept the thought to herself.

“We’re still in Solarian space, although another hour in that tunnel and we would have been in free territory. But…” Josmere paused as she confirmed the nearest colony.

“We’re about equal distance between the Thalos and Griman systems.” She chanced a look at Layela, who still looked just as green, and wondered for the thousandth time what exactly had happened to Layela when she had been missing. Three days held prisoner, until Yoma found her and brought her home; the only time Yoma had ever lost control and killed.

Six months to heal her broken body, and apparently many more years to heal the damage that had been done to her soul. It had been on Thalos IV that Josmere had first met the twins. And when Layela had healed enough, Josmere had chosen to follow them and leave her family’s home.

Two years ago. A lifetime ago. Thalos would be easier. They already knew its cities and temperaments, but…

“I’ll head for Griman,” Josmere whispered as she punched in the command. Layela didn’t reply, still fighting the nausea.

The shuttle’s engines groaned after a minute, and red text flashed across the screen. Josmere frowned.

That can’t be right…A second later, the engines shut down, and Josmere groaned and leaned back against the seat.

“Don’t tell me,” Layela managed to say. “We’re out of fuel?”

“Battery and sun-power, actually,” Josmere replied, looking at the vastness of space before them. “Low battery, and too far from a star. That drunk must have been on his way to refill her when he decided to fill himself instead.”

Layela groaned.

“We’ve got enough oxygen, thankfully, but we’re going to lose the rest of our power at any…” On cue, the lights cut off, and the soft hum of computers ceased. All that sounded was the emergency beacon, activated automatically.

“At least the Destiny should be too far to hear that,” Josmere said.

Layela groaned again. Josmere sat back and waited, grateful there was at least oxygen for her friend.

“Look on the bright side,” Josmere said. “I’ll breathe in your rejected air, and you breathe in mine. We’ll never run out, and…” she leaned over the back and opened a floor compartment, “we have enough supplies to last us a while. Including alcohol, what a surprise! Just you and me, Layl, hanging together in space for days, maybe even weeks!”

This time Layela’s groan lasted longer.

Josmere sat back, wishing Lang had cared enough about the low fuel to keep that information to the front of his mind. The stars sparkled around them, and they floated in space, grateful that the gravity device and the heat seemed to run independently of the main power source.

Small blessings.

She sighed, imagining the sound echoing in the vastness of space.

All they could do now was wait, and pray the Three Fates still favoured them.

i

“Five.” Layela yawned expensively.

“Five?” Josmere asked incredulously. “Did you just say you can see five stars in the port side window?”

Layela grinned and nodded, drinking a little bit of their precious water.

“Just five?” Josmere asked again as she accepted some water.

“Well, that’s as far as I wanted to count, anyways,” Layela said, stretching her legs as much as she could in the cramped quarters. “How many did you count?”

Josmere looked annoyed. “I was up to fifty-four when someone interrupted my concentration with her ridiculous answer!”

Layela cocked her head sideways. “Fifty-four in the time it took me to count five? Pretty good!”

“That’s because your head is as empty as the space outside the shuttle!”

“You have no sense of humour when it comes to your little compulsions, you know that? Why don’t you just go back to your counting?” Layela said, looking out the main window.

“Because I lost my place, and the shuttle isn’t exactly stationary.” Josmere sighed. “All right, it was a stupid game, but I’m bored.”

Layela smiled mischievously. “I have a fun game we can play!”

Josmere’s eyes lit up with interest. “What?”

Layela deadpanned. “It’s called Vision Viewings.”

Josmere cringed. “I should have never told you about that.”

Layela’s breath escaped in a hiss. “Josmere, Yoma isn’t here. We’re being hunted by the government and unfavourable individuals, and someone hired pirates to kidnap us…well, me.” Layela knew her words were harsh and undeserved — well, not fully deserved, anyways — but the frustration of the last few days had caught up with her, and she couldn’t stop herself. “I realize this doesn’t really involve you, but if you don’t intend to help, it might be better if you just go. I don’t need you.”

Josmere drew back, shocked by Layela’s outburst. She then gave her a tentative smile. “We’re in the middle of space, Layl. Where do you want me to go?”

Layela turned to face Josmere, and as she did so, the Berganda grabbed both of her hands in her own.

“Layela,” Josmere pleaded. “Yoma was afraid, and she wished she hadn’t seen what she saw. I don’t know much else, but I do know that she felt she could handle it, and just wanted you to be safe.” She shook her head but kept holding Layela’s hands. “You know how protective Yoma is of you. I’m certain that she didn’t believe the vision involved you, or she would never have left you unguarded. Layela, she made me promise not to show you, because you would lose whatever peace you had left.”

Josmere looked down, gathering her thoughts before looking back up. “The first day Yoma had that vision, one week before she vanished, she contacted me. I’ve never heard her sound so shaken. She wouldn’t tell me what happened, but she made me promise to meet her. I don’t know why she left the day we were supposed to meet.”

Layela removed her hands from Josmere’s, leaning back against the seat. “I know why, Josmere. For the same reason you mentioned earlier.” Layela looked at the thousands of shimmering stars before them. Some of them were suns that held life. One of them was providing light for Yoma, wherever she was.

“She sent you to meet me that day because she thought I could use the backup, and you’re the only person she trusts.” Josmere knew Yoma better than anyone else, and she hadn’t even suspected it. But Yoma had been right. Josmere had helped and wouldn’t stop helping.

Nor would she break her promise to her best friend, to keep a horrible vision from the forefront of Layela’s mind.

“She’s so stubborn. What if she’s the one that needs our help, and she just didn’t want us involved?” Layela turned to look at Josmere, who didn’t look back. “What if the vision would let us help her, Josmere? Damn it all, what if she dies and we could have helped her?”

Josmere turned and opened her mouth, but before any sound could escape, their comm unit crackled to life.

“Unidentified shuttle, this is Civilian Freighter Miranda. Do you need assistance?”

Josmere smiled and replied without a pause, “Yes, Miranda. We are out of power. Please assist.”

The Berganda laughed, ignoring Layela’s disbelieving look. “It looks like the Three Fates are still on our side!”

Layela stared as the huge freighter pulled near them, passengers eagerly looking out their viewing ports. Josmere waved at them, even though they probably couldn’t see her.

What amazed Josmere was the timing the Three Fates had chosen for this rescue, just when Layela had started to weaken Josmere’s resolve.

Luck indeed.

i

“What cute little uniforms,” Josmere mumbled as they looked out at the waiting crew. Layela gave her a stern look and opened the shuttle door, the fresh warm air stroking their skin in welcome. Layela smiled as she stepped out. Two women and one man, all wearing the same blue uniform, all seeming genuinely pleased they had saved someone, returned her smile.

Josmere stepped out and the crew’s smiles wavered a bit. One woman, with short blonde hair and broad shoulders, scowled and stepped in front of the other two.

 “Welcome aboard the Miranda,” the blonde woman said, looking straight at Layela. Without missing a beat, she added, “You are welcome to stay. The ether fiend must go.”

Josmere didn’t move or say a word. Layela immediately stepped in front of her, holding her hands out in plea.

“Please, we’ll stay down here and won’t cause any trouble.” The woman arched an eyebrow and straightened her spine, and suddenly Layela thought it best that they leave. Something in the way the woman stood left Layela suspecting she was much more than a simple stewardess. And the steel in her eyes told her that she had witnessed enough hardship to feel the need for vengeance. A vengeance against ether creatures. “If you just give us a boost, we’ll get off your ship.”

The woman examined Layela for a second, as though debating her sanity. “I have seen what ether races can do, and what they did to some colonies.”

Layela wondered just how closely the woman had witnessed the outbreaks thirty years ago, when Solari and the ether races had clashed on the furthest planets of the old Solarian border. It was during that time that gassing rooms and regulation gloves had become common for all ether beings who had chosen to remain on their home planets in or near Solarian space.

Josmere stepped beside Layela and looked at the woman, who did not shy away. Layela hoped she didn’t have a gun. Either one of them.

“The Berganda never participated in any of those attacks,” Josmere whispered. “We, too, were made to pay the price.” She lifted her hand slowly, the worn leather glove secured.

The woman looked at the gloves with disgust, as though she felt all the ether races should have simply been gassed. Layela suddenly regretted not staying onboard Destiny. At least there, no one wanted them dead.

“I don’t think they’ll be any trouble to us, Travis,” another voice rang clear as a man joined them. He was older, probably in his fifties, one eye closed by a vicious scar that claimed half of his face. He wore no eye patch to hide the damage. “We could just welcome them on board, or let them go.”

He joined them and examined Layela closely. She forced herself to meet his gaze, though the yellow-flecked brown of his one good eye sent shivers down her spine.

“Or we can just simply turn them in for a handsome reward. Isn’t that right, Ms. Delamores?”

Layela became numb and her mouth went dry. Dunkat Groosh must have put out a reward on her head. Josmere tensed beside her, but Layela doubted she would be enough to take down the whole crew, even if her powers worked.

She forced a thin smile and tried to buy some time as her mind raced to find an escape. “For a commuter ship, you’re not very friendly.”

The man gave a short, harsh laugh, his scar wrinkling, sections of it so thin that Layela could swear his skull was showing through.

“We’re marauders, girl, and the only reason you’re not already in shackles and ready to be shipped to Solaria is because we have even less love of Solaria than we do of ether fiends.” Layela didn’t know much of the marauders, only that they had been the front line thirty years ago in the ether wars — which would explain the woman’s instinctive dislike of Josmere. Since the wars, few spoke of them, and even fewer wondered why. But they disliked Solaria, and she could try to use that to her advantage.

“We just need to reach safe port, and you’ll never see us again,” she said, still holding up her hand in supplication. “I just want to get away from Solaria, that’s all.”

The man looked her up and down and managed to hold both her eyes prisoner with his one. Beside him, the woman named Travis did not lower her gaze or her contempt. “What did you do, anyway, girl?”

She shrugged and gave a weak smile. “I owned a flower shop and paid my taxes.”

The man stared a moment longer and then, to Layela’s relief, he began laughing. “That sounds downright criminal!” He sobered for a moment and looked at Travis. “It sounds about right, though.”

Layela took a small step forward, and didn’t have to fake the despair in her voice. “Then will you please help us?”

Travis locked eyes with Josmere for the first time, as though seeking some admission of guilt in the green eyes. “I swear,” Josmere said, meeting the woman’s gaze. “The Berganda were never involved in the ether wars. And,” she added in a whisper, “I’m sure you’ve heard that our powers are dwindling. I’m hardly a threat to you.”

Travis broke a little smile. “I had heard that rumour, and I call it justice.” Josmere’s hands became fists, but she made no move forward.

The man put his hand on Travis’ shoulder, as though holding her back. “You’re welcome to stay, but down here, in the shuttle bay. We’re heading to Crast and Thalos IV.”

Josmere’s eyes grew wide for just a second and she looked at Layela.

“We’ll get off at Crast,” the Berganda said. “It’s closer anyhow, and less of an imposition on you.” Layela had barely the time to register the implications. Crast was a quiet planet, mostly pigpens, slaughterhouses and air freshener factories. Or Thalos IV. She felt a shiver spread from her spine to her toes and the roots of her hair. Layela had left there vowing never to return.

And yet...Crast didn’t seem right. Thalos IV. Thalos IV.

A gentle pull toyed with her heartstrings. Thalos IV.

She put her hand on Josmere’s arm. “I think I’d like to see Thalos IV.” Josmere’s eyes grew wide. “It seems a more...lively planet.” Josmere held her eyes a second longer, as though searching for a flicker of Layela herself.

 “We may meet some old friends, too.” She turned towards the crew again. Layela nodded. Old friends, as in the Dark Knights, the best information network for illegal activities on Thalos IV. If they could find them. It had been a few years, and such systems had a tendency to vanish overnight.

“Crast might be safer,” the man said slowly. “Thalos IV is at the edge of Solarian territory. Crast is less...political, and out of your hunter’s reach.”

Layela gave a thin smile. It wasn’t just the colonel she had to worry about, but she wasn’t about to tell him that and get kicked off the ship.

“Which channels are advertising my wanted status?” she asked.

“Military.” He shrugged. “Old habits die hard, so we still scan those channels. Someone important is pushing to have it released to the public, but there is opposition to putting a price on your head. Lack of funding.” He gave a wry smile.

She nodded. “Thalos IV might be safe, then. Thank you for the information,” she hesitated, and then added, “and for your kindness.”

“Just never mention our encounter, and I’ll make sure never to mention you,” the man said and turned on his heels, Travis not far behind after casting a warning look at Josmere. Within seconds Josmere and Layela were alone in the cold shuttle bay.

Thalos IV. Layela wished she knew exactly why it felt so necessary to head to that planet, yet she knew any other decision would be foolish. And she knew she would be fine, because the root of her nightmares, the Kilita with his glowing orange eyes, wasn’t currently there.

He was behind them somewhere, perhaps hunting them still.

i

Layela was sitting in the shuttle, her eyes closed, trying to recall any thread of her visions. And trying to understand her need to return to Thalos IV. She was cold — the ship barely heated its shuttle bay — and bored out of her mind. In almost five hours, she’d had no success.

Josmere had been exploring the large shuttle bay for the past few hours, and Layela suspected the Berganda was avoiding her so that Layela couldn’t press her to show her the vision.

 She jumped as a voice boomed over the intercom. “Prepare for arrival at Thalos IV Veruvian docks.”

The Veruvian docks, located in the city of Veruvia, could not have been a better place to land. Josmere’s family lived there. Layela hoped they could stay at her family’s home, although she had never seen it herself. Josmere had only mentioned it in passing, and she suspected the Berganda had run away. She hoped they would be welcomed nonetheless.

The city was also exactly half a planet away from the Solarian embassy. Layela stretched and stood up, walking towards the small viewing port by the bay’s control stations.

The ship slowed out of light speed, the stars no longer stretched around them. The Thalonian system leapt into view, and nostalgia clutched Layela’s heart.

Two stars held the system together. A huge white Super Giant was orbited by a much smaller yellow sun, the two sometimes so close that their solar flares slammed into each other, and for a few moments the stars seemed linked, like one. The first five planets of the solar system were too close to the suns to bear life on their hot and radiation-filled landscapes.

Thalos I was the farthest from the suns, a simple mining community with little atmosphere and protection from the thinner radiation. It was used by the royalty as a prison planet. Its orbit was far past the two suns now, not even a flicker in their sky.

Thalos II was so small that people had argued whether it was a planet or a planetoid, until the royalty of Thalos III declared it to be a planet, simply because they wanted to retain the “Three” in their own name — a sign that the Three Fates were with them.

Thalos III was filled with royalty — brimming, actually, with more intrigue, adultery and regicide than any other known planet. It was the last of the governments to have signed a treaty with Solari, but it was a fragile peace, held together only by plea bargains and pay-offs.

Thalos IV loomed before them. The cruiser entered its thick atmosphere, fires flying off the shields. This planet did not have the best reputation, but it had been home once. Though its petty crimes were no match for the sins of the Thalonian royalty, it had a much worse reputation.

Fewer riches, I guess. Layela was surprised to smile at the thought of returning to the one planet she and her sister had spent the most time on. And, for once, she didn’t have to worry about what might be waiting for her.

Although she continued to worry about what was pursuing her, she doubted anyone would find her here, at the fringes of Solarian space. Not for a time, anyway. Maybe she would have enough time to convince Josmere to unlock her vision, so that she could plan her next move.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
25.1K 436 13
When Chu Qianxun was reborn and returned to the beginning of the apocalypse, she vowed to live a better life, live longer, and stay away from those d...
134K 3.8K 93
https://m.shubaow.net/175/175017_1/#all Lin An, an apocalyptic young man with supernatural powers, was reborn before returning to the apocalypse. He...