The Children // ASSASSINS CRE...

JaidenLM tarafından

Deimos was not the only child to be taken by the cult of Kosmos. One of the 'other' tortured Children of Chry... Daha Fazla

C1: The Lost
C2: The Bargain
C3: The List
C4: The Beauty
C5: The Rat
C6: The Promise
C7: The Compromise
C8: The Mother
C9: The Root
C10: The Flower
C11: The Conspiracy
C12: The Master
C13: The Prisoner
C 14: The Silent
C15: The Debt
C16: The Path
C17: The Faithful
C18: The Fabrication
C19: The Warrior
C20: The Moments
C21: The Flicker
C22: The Olympian
C23: The Run-Away
C 24: The Conqueror
C25: The Slave
C26: The Traitor
C27: The Distraction
C28: The Bounty
C29: The Eye
C30: The Conquest
C31: The Cost
C32: The Champion
C33: The Pawn
C34: The Play
C35: The Price
C36: The Edge
C37: The Offer
C39: The Wait
C40: The Chaos
C41: The Goodbye
C42: The Confession
C43: The Loose Ends
C44: The Puppet
C45: The Trap
C 46: The Way
C 47: The Walk
C48: The Herald
C49: The Warmth
C50: The Children
C51: The End

C38: The Storm

459 21 5
JaidenLM tarafından

"Barnabas of the sea, at your service" the one eyed Captain had bowed as he'd introduced himself to Kassandra's brother, who had raised his brow before he'd nodded his head, his arms folded,

"I am Dei-" he caught himself. A flutter of dread... no, not that... maybe guilt... he couldn't even be sure... had overtook him for a small moment - he hadn't had to introduce himself before - not as "Alexios".

"It is good to finally meet you Alexios" Barnabas said without missing a beat. The old man hadn't even battered his one good eye lid.

Kassandra had warned him the night before, as they'd sat around the table, the woman shovelling the food in to her mouth as if she was some sort of animal, that Barnabas was not for the faint of heart or, the overly sad. Which, he hadnt known then if it was a jest at him or not - Alexios wasn't sad... he wasn't sure he had enough left inside for that, it was more a mixture of anger, of confusion, of petty hates he knew he had to get under control. Not sadness.

Still, Alexios liked the old man. The Captain didn't stare or treat him any different than anyone else - the rest, it was as if they were walking  on eggshells around him, watching their words so carefully, it was as if they were worried that, if they stumbled, he'd lash out just for the sake of it... and he'd been sure they were passed all of that... Which was not helped by the fact that even Kassandra and Myrine did it more often than not.

His mater especially.

Whilst in Sparta, despite his mater's suggestion that he should at least go and talk to the people who'd lived there - there was no threat in talking to a fisherman at the docks, or a shop keep in the town - they'd never know who he was. The pathetic, blue robes he wore helped him to blend in - much to his distaste at first but, still Alexios had chosen to keep himself to himself.  Not to mention that Kassandra had drunkenly begged him to keep his head low... Something he'd been excelling at brilliantly, where as Eos... Alexios stopped... he couldn't think about that now... not about her...

Overall, he was just trying to not to be stupid... No mate how angry he got, with his maters constant love, trying to make up desperately for all the lost time or, with the time he had for his mind to stew, he knew that, right now,he'd be no use in any sort of fight if he was to get caught out - by the cult, or the order... 

What it had all made him sure of though, was his need for a purpose, something to focus on other than the guilt of before...

This world... The world he thought would be full of opportunities, felt empty and, that only added to the greatest of disservices that he felt - even if he'd done enough to not deserve it - although, he realised that, as Barnabas had passed by him, carrying what could only be a crate of wine, it was that the world never owed you nothing and, you had to take what was yours...

But, he didn't know what that was... he never had... he'd never got the chance to know.

The Champion he'd once been was well and truly gone... Without the golden armour he'd worn so proudly, his apparent death - as pitiful as it sounded - it had led him to be forgotten. A warrior that, despite the chaos he harbinged beneath, did not get the glorious death they may have said he deserved.

"Myrine" the Captain had almost sang, "it is so good to see you again", the two of them embraced, chattering like old woman as they pulled apart.

If Alexios was sure of anything though, it was that he didn't want his 'mater' following on his path of redemption - or, whatever this was.

The relationship between them; it was fine, in its own way, a little strained at times but, that was more because he couldn't be the loving child that Kassandra was.

Alexios didn't need her to sit up, to comfort him when he woke up from the terrors that tried to embrace him every night, the sweats and thoughts were enough hassle without having her cooing over him...

At first, he thought he may get used to it but, he'd started to realise it was too little, too late. He didn't know if he had anything left in him to love, or feel, for anyone else... He'd used it all up and, a part of him would wonder if the peice he clung on to was the only thing that made him go on. As much as all the other part didn't want to believe it.

It was weak of him, everything about him was weak - which only aided in making him more angry - and, he hadn't found the inner strength he thought he'd had without them. Without the purpose they'd promised - or perhaps they hadn't really promised him anything and he should have promised something himself...

Alexios averted his eyes, realising he'd been staring at the back of Barnabas' head and, he'd noticed Kassandra raise her brow at him out the side of his eye.

Kassandra, as much as she tried to understand, she didn't yet know the man Eos had told him so much about - or, this version of him anyway. His purpose, their purpose, Kassandra had started to wonder if the trials she'd faced to bring him home were never meant to end like this - as much as she hoped they were...

It was never anything she could really discuss, especially now Myrine was here. As worried as she got about him, she had so many dreams for him and, even suggesting that it was never meant to be was an offence.

Myrine, who was already telling Barnabas of the quest she was on - which, Alexios was sure was just a cover to keep an eye on him.

Myrine claimed that the Spartan King was worried about things he'd heard from Messenia and, with Kassandra having been given a letter from a courier that very morning - about a possible disturbance in Archai involving the Order - from her Persian friend Darius - Myrine thought it only right she was to go too and report back to the King as soon as possible.

Poor Kassandra had stood there for almost a whole hour, watching as the waves lapped at the ship, tossing it around gently, Poseidon teasing a storm.

If the Order was involved in some sort of sea blockade in Archai then, she had to help but, Melaina's words - that her brothers existence should go unnoticed if she didn't want a target put on to his back too - made it all the more difficult the decision. And now, she had her mater to worry about too.

And then, after having looked out a the sea for long enough, Kassandra had realised that, it wasn't her choice. None of this was ever her choice and, to treat Alexios like he was some sort of child who couldn't make his own decisions, would only create a rift between them - a rift she was sure had already started to form by her having left him in Sparta in the first place.

So, she turned to her brother, who had arrived a little while before and had been stood on the dock, looking out to the sea too. Kassandra always wondered what it was he thought about, his face so contemplative, she wondered he was so used to the ghosts of the past, they were just as painless as everything else.

"Here" Kassandra said. Alexios, lost in thought, had taken a moment to turn. He took the letter from her, reading over it.

"And you don't want me to go" Alexios said, he turned back to the sea, the letter being scrumpled tightly in his hand - he knew it had been too good to be true... No matter though. He couldn't stay here - not anymore. He wasn't scared of any Order - he had to-

"No, I..." it was the last thing she wanted but, "I want you to decide".

Wrapped up in his own thoughts again, cursing himself, his sister, his mother, even the crew on the ship, it had taken him another moment to realise what she'd said,

"You know my answer" Alexios told her, holding his head up.

As stupid as it sounded, there was a reason he needed to be close to them...

As lost as he was when it came to her, being close to the Order, it would give him the chance to search for her - or, at least search for some answers on what had happened... Perhaps that could be his purpose for a little while - finding the answers he needed , his path to follow until he found what else the world would have in store for him... maybe even move on...

Alexios had never let go of the hope that Melaina's words were only for the faint of hearing who may have assumed the worse... That her words could be interpreted differently... Just like her words about him - about his fait.

Except, Alexios didn't know what he would do if he did find out that she was truly gone. His mater had told him he would have so many opportunities to persue now, that he would just have to take them as they were thrown at him but... he loved her... he loved Eos and, the night terrors that plagued him the most were the ones was living in a world where no one truly understood him - not like she did, not like the others... They knew the terrors he'd faced, the ones he'd never be able to talk about...

That gave him a thought...

Maybe they could make a stop at Elis.

Glaukos had said that he'd found a tomb on the west side of Mount Psophis, perhaps he was still around. The two never had much to do with each other, not really but, Glaukos had always been a little more rebellious, in his own way, which, Deimos thought that, if anything, he could carry on the hope that Eos had wanted. Of how she'd wanted them to make the decisions for themselves, the whole of themselves, by helping liberate Glaukos from that.

Which, Alexios knew he had to try and do  for himself too. No matter the monsters he fought, he had to make himself prevail - he had to find a purpose that only involved himself... Otherwise, it would only be a purpose that would lapse on the failings of others...

Taking a deep breath, Alexios had stood on the ship deck with his sister, Barnabas on the other side of the misthios, as the Adrestia finally set sail.

***

"I don't know if it's a good idea" Kassandra said, "What if he runs straight back to the cult and tells them you're not dead".

"First of all, there's not many of them left" Alexios had said. Kassandra had collected a multude of artifact peices and, she'd even retrieved the ones he'd told her about - the ones Eos had left in her very fine but still destructive trail through the cult. "Second, they'll shake in their greaves and hope it's you and not me coming to rip them from their beds - or yours" Alexios folded his arms.

Kassandra stopped a smile. As much as she had hated Deimos' arrogance and, the now faint lines of a cocky grin on his face, she was glad that, even with everything, he was able to berate her with a joke... Even if it hadn't been one of Kassandras proudest moments.

Because, in all Kassandra's infident wisdom, on the cult no less, she'd beded Diona the day before she realised that the woman was a cultist, a twin no less, which, only because of a bruise on her arm - that Kassandra had put there - she was able to distinguish between the two identical sisters.

Alexios had told Kassandra that she should have just killed them both but, she hadn't been very fond of the idea.

Now though, they'd already docked and, it wouldn't take him long to find the tomb, he was sure of it. Kassandra had sighed, as if giving her brother permission to go but, he'd already decided he was going to do it anyway.

Keeping to the mountain passes, Alexios had found his way to some sort of glorified cage entrance.

Inside, apart from some small shrines, all he really found was a large slate. It did seem to have some sort of power in it though. He was sure he could see the glow in the symbols, retelling the story of the tomb and who was buried here. He touched it, feeling that same spark run through him when he would touch the artifact and, he flinched away.

There was no pain but, that... that was the reason why he was taken in the first place. Because there was power in their blood. The cause of all that pain... perhaps the Order was right... perhaps he and all of his bloodline really were tainted... perhaps being a demi-god really wasn't all that great...

Fighting the small urge inside of him, to place his hand upon it, to take in that power, Alexios continued on through the tomb, finding, towards the end, a hallway, that had once been home to a make-shift camp.

There was a bedroll there, a very dead fire, a pouch of what could only have been some berries once, now rotten and black and, a leather journal.

The pages were damp, even stuck together at some points but, through the splodges, Deimos could see the same faint handwriting as the letter.

Glaukos had been here. It just looked as if he'd left in a hurry. There was no sign of any pushing, pulling, no sign of a struggle, of blood. He'd just left and never come back.

Alexios wondered if maybe Glaukos had run from something, maybe even been captured. Whatever it had been, he'd not been here for a long while. No one had.

Taking the journal with him, Alexios found his way back to Kassandra, who was stood on the dock, speaking with an old friend of hers - who, Deimos quickly realised was none other than that sculptors, Phidias' friend.

Deimos... Alexios had killed him... His body had been torn to pieces... All for three words that had never got them anywhere... That, and the rest of the terrible things he'd done to try and stay at the top, to discover a legacy lost to an ancient civilisation.

The hooded man had eyed him carefully as he'd walked passed, taking in the plain chest peice that he wore, the belt without the gold insignia that they knew him so well for... the only thing Deimos had left of Deimos physically was his sword - which he kept in a covered sheath and, the golden band he wore on his forearm - he hadn't been able to get rid of it, no matter how much he'd tried.

The rest though, it was in a bottom of a chest Kassandra had told him. Alexios had thought that letting it burn in some sort of heap would make him feel better but, he hadn't built up the courage enough for that - he didn't know if destroying it would help when, to forget what he did, would make him less of a human than he already felt as if he was.

"Find anything useful" - the hooded man was gone but, Alexios had been staring out at the port, having not even realised they'd started to sail once more, "brother" Kassandra asked, finally pulling him out of the hole he'd found himself in.

He stumbled at first, "No. Not..." he trailed off and shook his head. He took a step back "not really". 

After a moment, Alexios looked down as he pulled out the journal, holding it in both hands. He felt as if he squeezed enough, he'd squeeze the ink right out. There was probably nothing useful inside anyway. Alexios glanced up slightly, feeling the hovering of someone more, other than his sister and, he saw Herodotus, the story-teller.

Alexios caught his eye, took a look back at the journal and then held it out to him, "this might have something but, the pages are wet, I don't know if you can do much with it", Kassandra turned to Herodotus, watched as he took it, almost a little excited, and opened the cover slowly, the first few pages stuck to it.

"I'll see what I can do" Herodotus said, giving Alexios a smile before he disappeared under the deck.

"What is it" Kassandra asked,

"Glaukos' journal",

"So, he was there",

"Yes but, he'd left a while ago, left everything" Alexios folded his arms and leant over the barrier, watching the crew below.

"Do you think it was a trap" Kassandra asked, Alexios looked up at her to say it wasn't a very good one but, Kassandra wasn't finished yet, "Eo..." she stopped and Alexios averted his eyes, back to the crew.

Kassandra sighed before she started again. "She said that he was always his own person, that he was rebellious in his own way. Do you think the Order could have got to him, like it did Melaina and..." she trailed off. Kassandra knew that Eos had killed Kallinos herself but, Pyros, Pyros it seemed they'd been close with as children and, it was a subject they hadn't touched yet.

And a subject Alexios only wanted to leave where it was. Nothing would change what was.

"Pyros" Alexios shrugged, "maybe".

The thing was, as much as Glaukos would rather the cult not determine what it was he done or, what he researched, moving on to another secret organisation was never really a goal for him.

Melaina and Pyros on the other hand... Now they, they'd always been after that little bit more, or mad... Alexios wasnt sure how but, it was true.

"When Melaina told us about you, about... what would happen... E..." Kassandra sighed again, a name couldn't hurt him, but, it also made Kassandra feel terrible because, she'd lost her too. Despite what she and Deimos had been through, Kassandra had lost her too. They'd fought side by side and, Kassandra hadn't been able to save her either.

"Eos asked her if she knew where he was. It seemed like she did" Kassandra said,

"Why didn't she tell her" Alexios asked quietly. Melaina had not battered an eye lid when she'd told him where Eos was... She'd done it willingly. What had all that been for? Had she hoped that Deimos would kill her? Or, was it just a part of this game Melaina thought she was so good at winning at.

"Because all E... Eos brings is death" Kassandra said. She shook her head, "I didn't know anything about Kallinos but, she told me she'd know - as soon as she saw him, whether or not he'd be on her side" Kassandra looked out to the sea.

Kallinos had been holding on to a grudge for a while... a grudge that had began when Deimos had killed his friend that day at the cults gathering, trading his life for Kassandra's. "Then, we found Asphodel, thin, bald and... dying in the temple..." Kassandra shook her head, "Eos held her as she died and... she was heartbroken... I could see it in her... she'd been too late and, she only blamed herself",

"That wasn't her fault" Alexios said quietly, the cult had driven Asphodel to madness and, it had never been anything that Eos had done...

"Then it was Akin. I killed him. In the battle of a hundred hands. Eos had found out that I'd entered too. She went in there, to stop him but, he chose death..." Kassandra looked at her brother, could see the look as he remembered. How he'd buried his friend underneath the tree. How the lycaon was what led him to her that night - Laelaps had knew then that he'd never hurt her. "Eos watched him die too".

"The cult did that" Alexios said, "didn't they. The things that led us to those moments, we never would have had to choose if they'd not-",

"We would always have to choose" Kassandra said, "just maybe, without them, you would have seen a bit more of the truth - than the lies they fed to you".

Lies Alexios knew many of because, then, it had been easier to listen to the lies and excuses, instead of deal with what was really in front of them - and, he'd been selfish... so very selfish...

***

They had just docked in Archai, at a secluded bay in Istion valley, near an old ship wreck. 

"We should stay here" Myrine had suggested to her son. Alexios glanced at her - he knew she was only trying to protect him but, she didn't get to make the rules... he did... if they wanted him so much to live his life the way he wanted, they needed to let him,

"We?" Alexios asked, he saw Kassandra look at him, her face pleading with him not to say anything more - she'd been doing it since they'd left Elis. Trying to stop the confrontation that Alexios left bubbling up inside of him when his mater suggested they do something else other than what he needed to do.

"Alexios" it was Herodotus. The story-teller had been hard at work deciphering that book and, Alexios had already decided that it was a lost cause - "I think I may have found something that could equate to your friends sudden disappearance". Kassandra took a step backwards, gesturing to Myrine to step back too, to give him some space. They always seemed to end up huddled around him and, he hated it.

Reluctantly, his mater did. Myrine knew he needed to decide on his own but, she did not want him to chase after that which was gone, but to chase after that which was right in front of him.

Herodotus handed him the book, having found a page that wasn't as torn and ruined as the rest of it,

"This here" Herodotus stood next to him and pointed to it, "your friend seems to mention that he is worried about someone following him but, here" he pointed to another bit, "he mentions that he does not think it is the cult of Kosmos doing - it doesn't fit with the way they do things" - yes Alexios had thought, because, if Glaukos had been up to something they weren't happy with, Deimos would have been their first port of call - especially when it came to one of the cults children.

Kassandra took the distraction as a moment to leave, she needed to go and meet her old friend Darius.

Alexios was sure she didn't think he'd seen her but, he hadn't needed to. The atmosphere changed dramatically when Kassandra left the ship - the crew weren't lazy, they just weren't very uniform and precise - like he liked them.

Still, he didn't care for a couple runaway Persians anyway.

"And then, here" Herodotus turned the pages slowly to another, having bookmarked them gently, "it seems he decided to do a little bit of research himself. It's not very clear but, he seems to mention something here about an Order". The pages were so faded, Alexios could only just see it, "and here, he mentions that the cult seemed to have had some run-ins once or twice with them" Herodotus turned the page again, leaving out those that were completely unreadable, "And here, it mentions a name, an Athenian Captain - based in Archai". Herodotus pointed to what could could have been a name but, he wasn't able to work it out. Herodotus looked at Alexios and gently, he passed the book over.

Alexios took a closer look - wondering if it really could have been who he thought it was. Theodoros - he used to be one of Macheons men - before Eos had killed him. He hadn't kept any tabs on where he'd gone next - neither had Kleon.

"Do you think he's involved with the Order" Alexios asked as he passed the book back. He folded his arms, tilting his head at the faded side Herodotus hadn't been able to decipher, as if it would help - it didn't.

"I cannot be sure" Herodotus said. Alexios let his arms fall and he looked out, towards the sea - at least he had a lead, his own lead, perhaps even a lead to the Order but, maybe it wasn't enough. Maybe Glaukos had made a choice already, maybe he was already dead.

Herodotus looked at him, there was something else but, he'd wanted Kassandra's opinion on it first. It wasn't enough to help them in their efforts, only to bring up the past the boy was seemingly trying to leave behind, even if he struggled desperately with it.

After a moment, Herodotus realised that it wasn't his choice either.

He'd overhead Kassandra and Alexios' conversation on the dock and, he'd never be able to let go of the things he needed to if they didn't allow him to choose.

"There is something else though" Alexios glanced back, watching as Herodotus went and put the book down, turning the pages ever so more gently now, going backwards a little more. He hadn't bookmarked this bit. "Here, it... well... it's not been very preserved but... it mentions Eos".

Unlike Kassandra, or him, Herodotus did not shy away from the name. Words were his fortay and, he was never afraid to say them.

Alexios had looked down at the floor, trying to resist this urge to throw himself at the book,

"What..." he took a deep breath and shook his head, "what does it..." he looked back towards the sea,

"Nothing you may not already know" Alexios closed his eyes and sighed, "it says that he heard of Eos' existence - that he was worried about her and, it seems he planned to send you a letter",

"He did" Alexios said, "It just didn't say that",

"It was like some sort of secret code" Barnabus put in excitedly - he missed the girl and her godly creatures just as much as Kassandra did, "have you still got it",

"No" Alexios said - he'd had so many other things on his mind at the moment, it hadn't mattered.

He knew who would have told him though, the one would have left out the trail of clues.

The one who'd left them out for him.

Melaina.

If he found her, he might find answers - answers he needed - about what she was doing, about what the last few years had meant - even if it didn't end with Eos.

***

It was dark when Alexios decided he'd had enough of staring at the sea. Leaving as Barnabas and Herodotus debated whether the large reddish globe off in the distance was another earth, destroyed and baron, like Herodotus said or, if it was an orb of eternal fire sent by Hades to punish them - like Barnabas was telling him it was and, with Myrine having found a place at the front of the ship, now lying and looking towards the stars, he'd taken it as a moment to go without any confrontation.

His plan was to see if that Athenian Captain was still in Archai and, he knew the first place to look would be the Teichos of Herakles - one of the cults forts - which he'd be sure Kassandra - and everyone else - except Barnabas, who had been telling him that his decisions and choices were now his to make and, he was to ride the waves with Poseidon like the Demi-god he was - would say it was a bad idea (like Kassandra wouldn't do it).

At the Fort, channeling his inner silence, the thought creeping up on him that he would have made the lycaon proud with the light steps he'd taken, Deimos had found a spot to sit and watch from.

Waiting, listening, as the men roamed around, Alexios overheard mostly meaningless conversations, until he heard the Captain name being mentioned.

Who, it seemed, wasn't thought fondly of.

And, for those reasons, was probably why he'd decided to patrol the Leaders house in Archai instead.

Seems he'd been getting a bit too comfy since Macheon had died - despite the fact he'd shit himself whilst watching one of his friends throats get ripped out by a lycaon - and, was trying to take up the handle - much to the distaste of everyone else because, they thought they should do it instead. Seems he had wanted them to follow him in to something else, something more and, whilst some of the men there had considered it, most had pointed out that the cult was losing itself to the war and its enemies and, it wouldn't be long until he died too.

Alexios had also heard his name being thrown around too or... his old name...

The only reason he called himself Alexios was that so people didn't know it was him. Seems you can be the most fearful of warriors but, you get rid of the armour, of a name and, that fearfulness goes away...

And, it seems dying on a mountain top, where he'd been sacrificed as a babe, was all rather poetic to them and now, they were trying to decide whether he'd been thrown off or, if he'd jumped.

Jumping had never been an option... If he'd survived the fall as a baby, it'd only be his luck to survive the fall as an adult too. It wasn't the pain in his body that he'd been scared of but, the pain of knowing he tried and didn't succeed...

No, he knew what he would have to have done to provoke his sister and, he hadn't done it.

And that spear, he'd had the want to touch it, to reach out for it and, he'd felt a rush, a rush of emotion, of everything he'd done, the terrible, the unthinkable and, the good... Which didn't involve much more than what the cult had called chaotic... A love that he'd lost now but, he was sure had made him want to see the truth... A truth he wondered if it would ever make room for him...

Making his way back in to the city, he had found the Captain where they said he'd be. He was stood at the front of the leaders house, as if he was waiting for something - or someone.

Taking a moment to search around the upstairs of the house - he found something from a woman named the Tempest. Which, by the sounds of it, he was sure would be useful to Kassandra in one way or another.

And then, to Alexios' delight, he came out and saw what it was the Captain had been waiting for.

A couple cult guards had made an appearance. They'd talked amongst themselves quietly before Alexios watched as he went back towards his men, telling them to keep their eyes to the skies for the arrival of the Eagle bearer and, that he would be back by mornings end.

The cult guards had left before he'd come back, going off in another direction but, it was not long until they circled round and found each other again once they were out of view of the leaders House.

"Far too much effort" Alexios had muttered to himself as he'd followed them. They'd stopped at a house just at the edge of town for a moment, being joined by a man with an eye patch and, who Alexios was sure, was a man who had a hole in the side of his head instead of an ear.

The masked cultist guards led the three silent men towards the east, to a military encampment.

The two Athenian guards stood at the entrance had smiled as they'd arrived, welcoming them in, as if they were old friends, their empty posts being replaced by the two masked cultists.

Inside, there were a couple more men who had held their hands out to greet the newcomers and then, they had all convulsed in to one of the tents. Alexios was sat on the other side of it, having came through a break in the fences.

The men inside seemed to have sat down, laughing with one another, the jostling of bowls telling Alexios that wine was being poured as they got comfortable.

At first, Alexios wondered if he'd somehow turned up to some party but, by the sounds of things, this was a common occurrence and, he'd struck gold.

Seems his sisters arrival had not gone unnoticed.

"The Eagle bearer has returned",

"Of course she has. She cannot resist a cry for help",

"She is resilient, I'll give her that",

"Who is it we're talking about now" one had slurred. Alexios sat up,

"The Eagle-Bearer" the general had said,

"Ahh, that one, not heard much about that one",

"I'm surprised",

"Nah, don't talk all that much. It's actually quite nice",

"Be useful though",

"It'd all be lies",

"What are you trying to say",

"Nothing. Nothing",

"You knew of her brother though, right" Alexios sat up a bit more - seems Kassandras arrival hadn't given him away,

"I know the bastard was in love-" he heard someone start to choke, a cough saving them from death, which was just fine because Alexios had to stop himself too.

"In love. Deimos? Are you really that drunk", it was the Captain.

"I saw it" he proclaimed, the slur still stuck in his throat,

"Of course you did",

"I did",

"You be careful what that rat whispers in your ear" the Captain said, "I didn't know her well but, Macheon never trusted her",

"She played us like a fiddle" another said.

Melaina.

"A running theme. But, she did come to us",

"Are you surprised" another said, "I heard Diona went missing the other week. Hasn't been seen. Can only imagine its because that Eagle pecked out her pretty little eyes".

"Now, she was a Goddess, given to us by Persephone herself",

"I was kind of hoping I had a chance" the Captain mentioned, "you know, with Deimos gone and everything",

"They never fucked though. Right",

"No, Kleon said no woman could satisfy a man with such a blood lust",

"But one did" another said, "If he was in love with her, as you say",

"They were both just as fucked up as one another" another said, "did you hear what she did",

"Did you hear what we did",

"No",

The questioner laughed, "Good" he took another drink, "that is not something I'll relive for anyone".

Trying not to throw himself in the to the tent and slay the lot of them, Deimos had sat, gritting his teeth, trying to remind himself to breath every once in a while and, listen to what more they had to say.

It wasn't much. It just seemed like the drips and drabs of the cult were trying to get on the good side of this Order...

Eventually though, as the night wore on, they got quieter, the drink flowing less freely as it got too much for them.

"Baraz, I think it's about time you go back - before you can't find your way back",

"I guess so. We'll be moving soon. If things go as planned - best get there before it happens"

"Or unplanned" the Athenian Captain had suggested,

"It'll be a surprise but, look at what she did in Makedonia. We have to be prepared" another said,

"Either way, we'll be sure to have two less people to deal with",

"Then the eagle-bearer won't have anyone to fall back on",

"A little bird tells me that she brought her mater with her",

"Then we can kill two birds with one stone",

"Maybe we'll get all four and be done with it" Baraz had said, Alexios realised that it was him who was the slurrer, "I was hoping we could go home soon",

"Is that not the plan",

"Not anymore" Baraz had stood up, his legs feeling heavy as he did. "Bastards, you know" he moaned "tried to poison me, the beardy one",

"This again",

"I could have died" Baraz said,

"All it did was make you sleep and piss your pants",

"Die of embarrassment" one had put in,

"Did you get them back",

"As much as I could do" Baraz said, "Cyrus wasn't so keen but, still, he deserved it".

Alexios wondered who he could have meant but, seems, however drunk he was, his whingy words didn't give out much.

It was then, the men started to leave but, it was only one that Alexios had his eye on.

He was the third to leave, now chaperoned by the two cultist guards.

The drunk one.

He had stumbled and groaned as they'd walked down the road, away from the encampment, even more to the east. The drunk was muttering something, about not being seen for what he really was but, Alexios was already surveying the mans end. The lust for violence came so easily, he wasn't even shocked - how could he be.

Alexios could not see the two guards being a problem. He could sneak up on them, stick the dagger he had in to the first ones back, grab their sword - he'd left his on the Adrestia - and then, plunge it in to the second ones chest. The drunkard would be defenceless and, maybe he'd even talk before he died.

He obviously knew where Melaina was, maybe he knew something about Eos and... if it was true, he'd know who he was.

Or, who he had been.

He said that Deimos had been in love, as if it had been out there for the world to see... If anything, Alexios had to tr-.

Alexios felt a hand on his shoulder and spun around, having been ready to grab them by the neck and stick the dagger he had in to their throat but, it was his sister.

She shook her head - none of what he wanted to do was a good idea - she'd looked down, at the dagger ready to stab her.

"Eos'" she'd said quietly before Alexios pulled away, putting the snake headed dagger back in to his pocket, he shrugged her off.

"Do not-". Kassandra put her hands up,

"I won't" Kassandra assured him.

The siblings watched as the three men disappeared but, Alexios felt as if it wouldn't be the last time he'd see him.

"They know Myrine is here" Alexios told her as they took the walk back to ship, "she never should have come",

"Try telling her that" Kassandra said. She sighed and shook her head, he was right, she never should have come. Anyway, it was done now and, they'd just have to deal with it. "What was that anyway",

"A party" Alexios shrugged,

"Between the cult and the Order",

"The drips and drabs of the cult" Alexios told her.

There was nothing else he could say about it... nothing that was useful to her...

Back at the adrestia, Kassandra informed them what she'd found. There were people who had been stranded in Archai by the blockades and, a woman from a nearby town was helping them.

Having sorted the problem Darius'd had and, after doing a little digging, they knew that what they had to do was to lead the Tempest out, deal with her and, the drips and drabs of what was left of the Order shouldn't bother the stranded any longer. It also meant that her Persian friends could finally escape from there once the sea was clear.

Alexios had pulled out the letter he'd found and passed it over to her.

"This just confirms it" Kassandra said, "their building a weapon, for the skila. It might be unstoppable if they get it working",

"Nothing can stop the Adrestia" Barnabas said,

"Wood burns old man, on water or not" Alexios said.

"But, perhaps it'll be her ship that burns instead" Kassandra suggested.

Kassandra, having wanted to keep an eye on her brother, had asked him to come with her when she'd returned to Darius and his son that next morning.

Darius, ever on the defensive, hadn't taken kindly to the intruder. Except, Alexios had grabbed the old man as he'd came out of the shadows.

Natakas was just standing there, his hand on his face. If he didn't trust Kassandra by now not to bring just anyone in on their little operation, he didn't think he ever would.

"Alexios, stop" Kassandra said.

Alexios, having grabbed Darius by the throat and aimed the blade that had just came out of nowhere towards the bottom of the old mans chin, had waited a moment for the blade to retract before he'd let the man go.

Natakas didn't even bother seeing if he was okay. His fathers lack of trust would be what got him killed one day, he was sure of it.

"Darius, this is my brother",

"I noticed" Darius spat, massaging his throat before he went and stood by Natakas, folding his arms, "You're much quicker than she is",

"I'll take that as a compliment old man" Alexios said. The glare the old man gave him was worth it.

"It doesn't take away from why you're here though" Darius looked to Kassandra, "the more they believe him dead, the better. Why bring him",

"Because I have my own business with the Order" Alexios said, he folded his arms too,

"And she's probably already dead. Revenge is never going to bring her back boy" Darius told him.

The sharp intake of breath Alexios gave also most made him snap, "call me boy again and that blade will be dragged-",

"Enough" Kassandra said, "we have other things to worry about",

"No, you do" Alexios said, "I did not come here to rescue some poor sailors, or Persians who run away" he gestured to Darius,

"Then why did you come" Darius asked,

"I don't have to answer to you" Alexios folded his arms, "I don't have to answer to any of you". Alexios turned around, leaving them but, not before hearing the old man say:

"Maybe the lie about his fait wasn't all that heart-breaking",

"You've told enough of them" Natakas had spat at him.

In his anger, instead of finding his way back to the encampment, in hope of ripping threw some masked guards - cultists, Persians, he didn't care which - he found himself on the coast where the Adrestia was docked.

Alexios sat on the soft sand.

If she was gone, then it meant his hunt for answers would be futile, that it would only bring up a past he was sure he had to leave behind now.

But if she was gone, every peice of what he thought he had, thought he needed, was also gone and... He was still here and, it made him feel terrible.

If it wasn't for him, she never would have been in that fort, none of this ever would have happened if he'd not let the chaos of the two of them take over all that time ago.

Maybe she would have stood at his side in the wars he fought, maybe Kassandra would have killed her, maybe Eos would have found her way down the same path anyway...

He lay back. Eos had risked everything to show him the truth and, he knew, to throw that away now, was against everything she wanted but... that glimmer of light inside him was starting to fade and... he didn't know how long it would be until the monster inside took over again... Kassandra couldn't keep it down forever - unless...

She never would though. He was sure of that...

Perhaps at one time, Kassandra had considered killing her brother was the only way but, she'd passed that now.

Kassandra who, after telling Darius what she thought of his outburst, leaving him and Natakas to argue, had followed her brother and sat down near him. She waited for his words first.

"I'm not here to be a hero" Alexios said. He didn't move, continuing to stare up at the sky.

"I know" Kassandra said, "He's just... old and... stuck in his ways... they've been running for a long time",

"That's not my problem" Alexios said,

"I know it's not but... this would be easier if the two of you got along" Kassandra said.

"I just need to know what happened" Alexios said, "I need to know if she's gone, if the dogs... gone",

"I didn't think anything could ever kill that thing" Kassandra said. At that moment, as if on cue, Ikaros landed in front of them, squawking a little,

"His loyalty to her would" Alexios said.

Back on the Adrestia that night, Herodotus had came over to him, Glaukos' book in hand.

"Alexios, it seems that here" he pointed at some of the more later pages - "it mentions seeing a man with only one ear, even said they spoke but, I cannot see what about. However, Glaukos had started planning to leave after it" he pointed to another artp of the journal, "and then it ends. There is nothing more after it".

Alexios had a feeling he knew who it was that had visited Glaukos - and, if Glaukos had left behind his beloved journal - it could only mean that he'd been taken before he'd had time enough to leave on his own.

***

Alexios had found the mercenary after his sister in the city, one of the same mercenaries he knew had been sent after Eos in Athens. Seems the hunter had indeed changed its prey.

He'd considered jeering the man over, killing him and his stupid bear, but then, he'd noticed a familiar face near to the statue of Poseidon. The drunk man, Baraz.

Following after him instead, it hadn't taken long for Alexios to realise someone else was following him too but, as if to throw them off, Alexios diverted down an alleyway - an alleyway that would have taken him straight in front of Baraz had Alexios not turned down another.

It meant losing sight of the drinker but, by the time he got to the quiet little secluded hollow, he knew who it was.

And, he knew it'd be worth it.

"So, you are alive" Alexios sighed, "I was told you were dead" he felt him come closer. It was the Captain. "Seems the saying is true. Once a snake, always a snake" - Alexios knew he meant Melaina - "no matter, I'll fix that",

"Of course you will" Alexios turned, the Captain throwing himself at him immediately.

Alexios stepped out of his way and turned to him, the thrill he started to feel making him hesitate, allowing the Captain time to stand and swing his sword. Alexios caught the blade in his fingers and the Captain had pulled it out of the grip, his leg kicking out and getting Deimos in the gut, making him stumble backwards.

Alexios hadn't needed to have worried about doing it himself, if he carried on like this, he'd fall to a pompous athenian Captain instead.

The Captain, who had said something before he'd struck out again. Alexios only able to dodge it. Just. Placing his hand on his own sword quickly, Alexios met with his and, with just one flick of his wrist, the Captains sword fell from his hands and, he went scrambling. It gave Deimos time enough to ram his sword through the man's gut and back out the other side.

The Captain fell to his knees, his hands going to the hole in his stomach, his eyes starting to gloss over as the blood started to spill.

Alexios lowered his sword, his hand shaking - which he wasn't sure whether it was from the cut on his hand that was bleeding all over the handle or, if it was the thrill of the kill that was coursing through his veins, making him feel that little bit sick. It had been the first blood he'd seen in months, the first man he was able to watch give his last words and die as someone else...

Even if Alexios had realised that the someone else wasn't really that much different to who he had been.

"You know" the Captain said, "when they first said that they were gonna take all of the 'children', we... I didn't believe them... and then, they started to fall... like sacks of shit..." he laughed and fell forward, clutching his stomach as he turned around and laid on the ground, looking up, "who knew that one of their own could do that - without any thanks it seems but, then again, we all know how delarious she could be..."

"What" - he was speaking about her. About Eos.

"Seems they forgot about you though... no matter... he knows now... that" he wiggled his fingers "Baraz... I'm sure they'll fulfil that purpose. The order being eternal and all that",

The Captain chuckled, "Perhaps Hades will have a room for the both of you". The Captain smiled and Alexios felt someone behind him. He turned, pushing his sword up through the chest of that damn mercenary, pulling it out, letting him fall to his knees and then, swinging it and slicing his throat open, watching the man struggle between which appendage he should be grabbing at before he died.

Alexios looked back to the Captain but, he was already dead.

Sitting down, Alexios had put his head between his knees, his heart beating a thousand times an hour. He felt sick, as if everything he was trying not to be, had come out in that one moment.

But he'd had too... There hadn't been another option... Alexios held his hand out, spreading his fingers, the slice across his palm pulsating, the blood twitching itself out.

He knew the conclusions they'd jump to, the state of him and, he didn't care.

And now they knew, now that Baraz knew, he was sure the blood would only become second nature to him again. Even if the thrill of the kill felt empty. As if he didn't deserve it anymore. Although, the blood was just as thick...

And, they'd had her. They'd had Eos...

And, if the Captain was telling the truth... she was gone... just like Melaina said...

Eventually, having sat in the same spot for most of the night, Alexios got up and started walking towards the Adrestia.

Coming in to view of the ship, he'd seen his sister pacing, his mater stood, her hand on her head.

It was Kassandra that noticed him first, who had seen the blood. She'd hesitated, he'd seen it, she thought she'd lost him... Just like that... Myrine though, she'd not, she'd followed Kassandras horrified gaze and rushed over to him, Kassandra snapping out of it and running after her - not to him.

"Alexios" he'd stopped, staring at the look on his sisters face. Did she really think him that weak. His mater, as fearless as before, had grabbed his hand, had pushed the cloth he'd wrapped on it over, "Are you-",

"Leave me" Alexios said as he pulled his hand away,

"What happened" Kassandra pushed in front of her mater and grabbed on to his shoulders, making him look at her. Alexios flinched away, the betrayal in his eyes making Kassandra regret it.

"They have her... they had her" Alexios had said after a moment - they weren't the words he'd wanted to say, not the words any of them needed but, she'd done everything she could to show him a path without so much blood shred and, he'd enjoyed it... There wasn't anything else to enjoy... anything else to hold on too. Except this...

"I told you Alexios, if Eos is alive, we'll find her",

"But I... she...",

"You need to find your own way my son" Myrine said, she put her hand on his shoulder and he shrugged her away again - if people could stop thinking that touching him made him feel better, he'd appreciate it,

"You don't know what I need" Alexios said,

"I know she would not want you to risk your life for her" Myrine said, "To show them-",

"They already know" Alexios said, his voice colder and harsher than he wished it to be,

"What" Myrine asked, her old skin going pale,

"What do you mean they know" Kassandra said, pulling him to face her - she didn't care about his non-touchy thing "Who". Alexios had that cocky grin on his face, like Deimos would, like he didn't even care.

"The Athenian Captain is dead but, the drunk knows".

"Kassandra", the three of them turned around - it was Darius, "it's time" Kassandra nodded and then turned to the two of them. "You stay with me" Kassandra told Alexios, "Mater, stay with Darius",

"What" Alexios snapped,

"We have a blockade to break apart" Kassandra told him - and, there was no way she was going to leave him on the shore now. She couldn't trust him not to run off and, the storm was here.

Myrine stood on the coast with Darius as they sailed away, heading towards the ships off in the distance. She turned to the old man - she'd never talked to him much but, it was almost as if he already knew what she was going to ask and, he was already taking a step back and shaking his head,

"It is not my place to get involved" Darius put his hands up,

"You would do anything for your children, would you not" Myrine said,

"Kassandra-",

"Kassandra will understand one day the lengths a parent will go to, to protect their children",

"I cannot let you go after them alone" Darius told her,

"Do not underestimate me" Myrine said, "If I can get to him, to that" she threw her hands up in the air, "Baraz. Perhaps news of my sons life will die along with him",

"A son that despises you" Darius asked,

"You don't understand what he's been threw" Myrine said,

"I understand that he killed without mercy, that he was part of an organisation attempting to suppress the gre-"

"He was a baby who I let go! Who was tortured - made to feel as if pain was an old friend, who watched his best friend die, who loved and lost everything he ever wanted... who goes on because he hopes he'll find that again. Would you not despise me too" Myrine asked him. It was not all Myrines fault but, the weight of the guilt, even now, would forever be a burden that would follow her in to the underworld. "Tell me what you know of him" Myrine said.

"Your life is not wort-",

"My life is worthless compared to theirs. I would rather him live a life he deserved than I live anymore of mine",

"Myrine" Darius said quietly.

"Darius, I will not let this man rule my sons head and take his life. For as long as I breath, I will never stop fighting for them".

***

A rogue wave had crashed in to the Adrestia as they'd got rid of that last ship, throwing Alexios and a few others overboard. He'd washed up on the scavengers coast, the others having been lost to the waves.

Taking a deep breath, Alexios had stared up at the sky. As they'd ridden out, Kassandra had told him that, to survive, he'd have to kill, there would always be men that would want to better him, he just had to learn that mercy was an option, that it didn't always have to end in death.

"I don't think I know what that means. Mercy." Alexios had said,

"If you didn't, you wouldn't feel the way you do about Eos right now".

Because that had been mercy, letting her go, sparing her life, over and over again.

A mercy that had led him here, without her.

Something Kassandra had reminded him of though, was that Eos had never wanted him to change, she'd just wanted him to be who he wanted to be - not who the cult had wanted him to be - and, Alexios was terrified now that it was the same thing...

"I knew it..."

Alexios jumped to his feet elegantly, feeling that little bit of fire in his belly, warming him up - he knew the voice, the slur... Baraz...

"Four birds, one stone" he smiled as he pulled his sword from its sheath, "I was right",

"I am not a bird" Alexios drew his own, the wet gold glistening in the moon light,

"But your mother is..." Baraz said, he took a step forwards,

"What do you mean" Alexios asked,

"Why don't you ask her" Baraz shrugged, "When you see her in the underworld".

Baraz took the first swing and Alexios met his steel sword with his gold one, the clang as it met radiating through him, his chest being filled with a lust he'd tried so hard to push down.

"The snake said you died" Baraz told him, their faces so close, Deimos could see the fear in the mans eyes, could see the sweat drip from his brow - Alexios didn't even think that the man knew of his terror just yet. Alexios parried him away, throwing him a stumbly few steps back - the want to play over-taking him.

"That was your first mistake" Deimos said, he took a step back as Baraz gathered himself. The man wore next to no armour, a chest piece Alexios could pierce if he wanted to and, some greaves that wouldn't do much good if Alexios lashed out at his ankles and; he was already considering slicing off the other ear, if only to make his ugly face more symmetrical.

"No, our mistake was not killing you ourselves" Baraz came at him again - Alexios would have to give it to him - he really thought he had a chance, as if the waves had taken their toll more than the years before had. Alexios grabbed his wrist, twisting it before Baraz squeeled and kicked out - his foot had smashed in to Alexios' stomach, but, Alexios hadn't moved an inch, as if Baraz had kicked a wall. The drunk stumbled backwards, his foot shaking as he lashed out again, desperately this time. Alexios swung his sword upwards, a twist in the air meaning that Baraz' sword flew from the mans hand and landed in the dirt.

"Who cut off your ear" Alexios asked as he started to circle him.

Baraz stood, letting his head fall back, feeling the rain on his skin, hearing the thunder from his one good ear - the other was always so blocky.

He smiled, "You know them" he said, "Or, you did" he let his head lie on his shoulder and caught Alexios' eye as he started to slow. He laughed as he let his head fall forward, shaking it, "Fucking beast tore it off like it was a piece of ham from the fire".

Laelaps.

"Then he ran away, my arrow stuck in his hide..." he smiled again, "not what killed him though, sadly. I would have liked to have been there when he died though... Told the same to your girl".

Alexios hadn't realised that his circling had stopped.

"Now, that one" he smiled, "now that's another story. A story that already ended without you".

Alexios had only seconds to realise that the man had moved towards him, a dagger in his hand. But, he was no match for him. Alexios grabbed his hand and stuck his sword up in to his gut, yanking it out and watching as the man fell to his knees.

Dropping his sword, Alexios had grabbed on to him by the throat and held him up, his hand closing around his throat. If he held tight enough, he'd break through the skin, the blood splurting out like a water fall but, something made him stop. He dropped the drunk and stepped away from him.

Baraz fell back on to his knees, his head down,

"One day, when the lies of who we are, fall away, what's left" Baraz had looked up to Alexios then, as if it was truly a question. It sounded like something Melaina would say.

"More than you think" Alexios said. Grabbing his sword, he swung it and the sharp blade cut through Baraz's throat, a mixture of wine and blood spurting out of the wound as he fell forward, dead.

***

Kassandra had defeated the Order of the Storm that night but, like every other time, it had come at a cost... It seems that it was not only the cult that would exploit the hopes and dreams of a child...

Alexios came up behind Kassandra as she looked over the sea,

"There's no simple life for people like us brother" Kassandra said,

"I never expected there to be" Alexios told her. Kassandra heard him draw his sword, she didn't even stop him. Nothing would ever be simple, especially not this. "Darius" Alexios said. Kassandra turned around, putting her arm across his chest, as if to stop him - she understood they hadn't got off on the right foot but still.

"Where is our mother" - and she did not expect those words to escape her brothers mouth either.

Darius had looked at Kassandra first, could see the shame in his face as he took a step back,

"Darius" Kassandra said,

"She went after him" Darius said, "Baraz. For you" he folded his arms and looked to Alexios - as if his 'betrayal of trust' was nothing compared to his,

"And you let her" Kassandra spat.

"Baraz is dead old man" Alexios pushed passed his sister, "I killed him. Where is she". The old man grit his teeth - he knew he never should have told her, should have refused. But, would she not have gone anyway.

"I told her where the encampment was" Darius said eventually - the one where Alexios had found the drunk.

"Darius..." this was never meant to include Myrine, Kassandra should have just left her in Sparta, should never have brought either of them here, so close to something with such a want to kill them.

The siblings, with Darius and Natakas close behind, the old mans son cursing him the whole way, caught up with their mater just as a man fell to his knees and, she dragged the small steel sword across his neck. They were the men from the party, the drips and drabs of cultists and Persians.

"Mater" Kassandra called out. Myrine turned slowly, having to hold herself as she did, her hand clutched on to her stomach, a dagger having been pushed in and pulled out, the blade tearing her skin apart. Alexios grabbed her before she fell, lowering her down slowly.

"Mater" Kassandra said again, kneeling down next to her,

"It's okay lamb" Myrine said softly, her voice was so calm, as if the pain had not touched her, she closed her eyes and Kassandra grabbed on to her hand.

"No, you can't" Kassandra said, choking on a lump in her throat. It was almost as if the will of her daughter brought her back to life but, Myrine already had a few more words to say,

"You are strong Kassandra... So much stronger than you think", she squeezed Kassandra's hand with every inch of strength she had left, felt the light splatter of a tears on her forehead before her son threw his head backwards, trying to breath it all back in.

"Alexios" that name, she always said it with so much love. He looked down at her, shaking his head - "Listen to me. I love you." But he didn't deserve it, "I always have and, even my death",

"You're not..."

But, the stench of death was all too familiar. It would always be too familiar to him. This place reeked of it. Everywhere he went, he'd be reminded of it...

"You must learn to let the past go Alexios... Eos would not want you to spend your life holding on to it, to her... You need to remember that",

"I need..." Alexios stopped, the lump in his throat making it impossible to speak...

"You'll find what you need one day my son. I promise you that" Myrine said, she reached her hand up to his face, stroking his cheek gently before her hand fell, her chest taking one last deep breath before she turned to Kassandra, "Look after your brother. Don't let them have him", Kassandra nodded as Alexios threw his head back, choking on a sob, his whole body shaking as he felt that last breath escape her.

This was the sort of pain they could never prepare him for... The one that held on to the remains of his heart and tried to pull it outside of his body - despite how much he'd despised her love, now it was gone, he realised how much he needed it. Even if he hadn't loved her back, her nag, her worry, he'd been getting used to it and... now, it was gone. Forever.

***

"I did this" Alexios said, "this-",

"You can't blame yourself for others actions Alexios" Kassandra told him, watching as the pyre their mother lay atop of burned. "She did what she thought she needed to",

"And it wasn't worth it... was it" Alexios asked,

"Not many things are worth the risk" Kassandra said, "not really but, you're alive" - and that had been worth enough to their mater,

"You put too much emphasis on my life" Alexios said. That was their mistake. They thought him better and, everything he felt, only proved he couldn't be the one they wanted him to be. Without purpose, he was nothing...

"A mother will do whatever she has to, to make sure that her children are safe..." - Darius had told her that afterwards but, she knew that already, she'd seen it happen before...

Alexios turned away and Kassandra put her hand in his shoulder, felt the small flinch before he willed himself to relax - which only made him tense more when she squeezed it assuringly.

"And I understand that now..." she looked back at the flames, "and, we can't let her sacrifice be in vain",

"I won't fall to the order Kassandra" Alexios said,

"No brother, you won't" Kassandra moved her hand and took a deep breath, turning herself back to the pyre "because you're not staying here",

"What",

"You're going to leave, with Darius and... Natakas...",

"No, I can't. Kassandra, I have to-",

"No brother, I need you to be safe" she turned back to him, tears filling her eyes. Alexios closed his. "They all wanted you to be safe, to find your own way and... I... I don't think you can do that here anymore" Kassandra said.

His bottom lip had started to quiver again...

All Alexios had wanted, his whole life, was to have a family, whether the same blood run through them or not and... ;ike all the other times before, he was being asked to say goodbye to it...

And, he knew he had to...

The people he cared about... they were gone. Dead. Lost. There was nothing for him here. Not anymore.

The questions would just go unanswered. He'd had to live with that, he'd have to control his own self, stop himself from ever turning in to the thing he was raised to be...

He knew he had to but, he didn't know if he could.

Perhaps it wouldn't even matter anymore... 

***

"Thank you" Alexios had said as they'd stood on the dock that day. Kassandra had smiled and, for that second time ever in their adult life, they'd embraced, Kassandra closing her eyes in hope to keep back the tears.

It wasn't the end for him, it wasn't the end for any of them, it was the beginning of something and, true to style, Barnabas had joined in just before they'd broke apart, wrapping his arms around the both of them.

Alexios had shook a little but, Barnabas was respectful enough not to hold on too long.

"You need to get yourself a ship of your own Alexios" Barnabas had said, "you would make a great Commander",

"Maybe I will" Alexios said.

Maybe the sea was all he could really take right now, the uncertainty of it matching the uncertainty of himself. His purpose being nothing more than getting from one day to the next, each day a different challenge...

He liked the sound of that...

***

After watching her brother, her friends, sail away in to the horizon, Kassandra had to have a minute to herself.

That was the end of it. Darius. Natakas. Alexios.

It wasn't the end of the Order - she felt as if she'd be fighting them her whole life but, it was where their story ended, as the storm finally brewed over. Her brother would be safe. Away from here.

And, Kassandra still had so many questions - questions that could only now be answered by taking down Amorges and his own band of monsters.

Swigging back the last of the wine, Kassandra slumped back on the wall.

"Kassandra"

She could hear them now, calling her name - maybe she'd had too much wine,

"Kassandra" - they sounded like they'd had to much wine. Perhaps it was her mater, calling for her from the afterlife, willing her to get up, to keep going. One more swig of wine and she would.

"Kassandra" her name, spluttered, desperate,, came from behind her and she turned her head,

"Alexios" rushing to her feet, Kassandra grabbed at her brother as he collapsed, he was soaked through, "Alexios - what happened",

"The Order" he breathed, "They, they took the ship",

"How are you-",

"Old bastard threw me over the edge" Alexios shook his head.

Darius.

"Where are they",

"I don't know" Alexios said, his head hurt - he was sure he'd hit something as the tide had dragged him ashore, "I...",

"Shh" Kassandra said "take some breaths".

"Kassandra, Kassandra" it was Barnabas, she looked up, "the Order have them. They have Darius and Natakas",

"They won't for long" Alexios stood himself up, still swaying on his feet,

"Brother, you need to rest",

"No" Alexios took a step and Kassandra grabbed him before he fell, "This is it Kassandra... the Gods spoke... I know my purpose". The words were heartfelt, strong but, the pain and ache in his head was stronger and he blacked out.

***

A/N: Thank you for reading!! Sorry this took a little longer than usual but, I wanted to make sure it all worked! And, I battled with making this two chapters and thought I'd just give you one nice long one! See you next time!

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

278K 9.1K 41
♜ 𝐀 𝐌𝐚𝐟𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 ♜ (Not edited, a first draft) When two different people with two very different paths in life collide, there is not a...
115K 4.7K 36
Alexandra Williams doesn't like the idea of staying in a house cooking, cleaning, and sewing all day; so she leaves her home and runs into two men dr...
4.9K 243 18
・❥・ She thought maybe she was okay with being wicked. That she was so angry, so desperately, bitterly livid. She thought perhaps there were pieces of...
22K 875 24
When Eleanor Mercier's father goes missing on a work trip, she follows him to Paris. However once she arrives, she finds herself endangered by the me...