π™π™ƒπ™π™Šπ™π™‚π™ƒ π™π™ƒπ™„π˜Ύπ™† 𝘼�...

By luciuscurls

*.βœ§π™ƒπ˜Όπ™π™π™„π™€π™ π™…π˜Όπ™ˆπ™„π™€ π™‹π™Šπ™π™π™€π™ have never thought that someone who she despised and hated a lot na... More

β€»β€»β€»
warnings and etc
prologue
i. third year
1. Buckbeak and His claws.
2. Boggarts and Potions.
3. Dementors.
4. Checkmate
5. Hospital Wing
6. A gift and A Godfather.
7. Christmas and Wolves
8. Bloody Patronus and Firebolt
9. Curiousity and Cats
10. The Firebolt Returns
11. Hole-and-corner
12. Whomping Willow
13. Black Truth
14. Daily Prophet
15. Present
16. Prophecy
17. De novo
ii. fourth year
1. Toujours Pur
2. Doxies and St. Mungo's
3. Invito
4. The Burrow
5.1 Quidditch World Cup
5.2 Quidditch World Cup
6. His sorrow
7. Hogwarts Express
8. The Triwizard Tournament
10. Imperius
11. Their Business
12. Nicked Meetings
13. The Champions
14. Revelations
15. The Badges
16. Unexpected Visit
17.1 Toil and Troubles
17.2 Arrangement
18. Kitchen Meetings
19.1 First Task
19.2 First Task
20. Play it like it's Quidditch.
21.1 Headlines and Hogsmeade
21.2 Frowny Jamie
22.1 A Miscalculation
update.
22.2 Madness

9. Skrewts and Curses

3.2K 77 22
By luciuscurls

Jamie had waited patiently for the storm to pass until the weather outside have finally cleared for the first time and the sun is peeking through the gray clouds. The hype for the Triwizard tournament has not yet died down, and she has unmistakably overheard Seamus and Ron's conversation in the common room last night about joining the tournament along with Jordan Lee, Fred, and George.

How amazing as it sounds of joining and winning the eternal glory to her, Jamie has had her mind made up on the tournament that she doesn't want to be any part of it, even if she is given a chance. Hermione was skeptic about the whole tournament and Jamie knows that Hermione shares the same sentiment.

After what Sirius told her after the world cup ended, it made Jamie swore on her life that this year, she doesn't want to be part of anything or anywhere that will harm her. Jamie doesn't want Sirius to go back in his self-blaming when all she wanted for his Godfather is everything good in the world.

Dear Sirius

The storm is now gone and I did not leave behind any of the things I need. Or that's what I just thought. I'll check again later.

They finally told us what will happen this year. It's the Triwizard Tournament, and we have visitors from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang who will be with us to join in the tournament.

Everyone is so excited about joining it, even though Dumbledore said something about drawing up an age line that nobody under 17 can enter it. But, I think Fred and George will manage to pass it without a problem, I mean, where or who do they get some of their crazy ideas from, hmm, I wonder?

Ron wants to join it too. The Eternal Glory and thousands galleon as a prize sounds good, but Hermione and I don't care about it, not a single bit. I'm more worried about the Quidditch though, it was canceled because of the tournament. Maybe I can persuade Dumbledore to take the decision back. Just kidding, I won't do such a thing.

Anyways, how are you? Did you finally take the position in the Ministry? If yes, that's okay. But, if not, that's okay too. Do whatever makes you happy, Padfoot.

Jamie

After finishing her letter, she folded the parchment in half and puts the letter deep in the pockets of her robes to send it through Hedwig.

She was just making a mental note of bringing Hedwig's favorite owl treats when she felt the lovely braid of her hair made by Lavender this early morning, starts to become undone along with her ribbon tie that holds it all together.

She turns her head around in frustration and saw no one walking or standing behind her to pull the ribbon ties. Jamie tugged the ribbon tie angrily from her hair and started tying it in a ponytail with the tie. She scanned the great hall cautiously for a minute and returned to her cutleries.

Jamie felt her whole day ruined just because of some prankster. It couldn't be Fred and George. Ginny has yelled and threaten to hex them if they touched a strand of any girl's hair. They are also too busy chatting up on the very end of the table about their own method of entering the tournament.

"Ron Weasley, The Champion of Hogwarts and Gryffindor," says Ron as his hands quoted his words in the air and smiled goofily, unaware of Hermione's blank look and Jamie's seething face. "Sounds amazing, isn't it?"

Jamie can only nod for her friend, and bit her tongue from saying how mental and silly he looked like while doing it. Unlike them, she doesn't want to ruin anyone's morning.

"Yeah, if you are mental enough to join the tournament that is," Hermione says and Ron shrugged before sitting down before forking down the content of his plate.

"Do you know how dangerous and brutal these tasks are and the amount of death toll there was on this Triwizard tournament?" Hermione demandingly says, "Hundreds of it, and is teetering to be in thousand! I see now why it took them centuries to reinstate a new one!"

Ron dismissed this instantly, "Yeah, but they did say that they are going to ensure the champion's safety out there in the tournament."

"The death toll, Ron! Death toll!" Hermione reminded him with a jab of her knife and Jamie is sure that Hermione was about to stab Ron in the spot, "Whatever the feel of their security will be, I will never tolerate their words for it. Never."

"Now that we have Hermione settled," Ron says and turned his head to Jamie, "Jamie, mate, are you going to enter if you have a chance?"

Without a second thought and a look to Hermione's angry face, "No."

Ron was not convinced in her answer, "Yeah? Even if Fred and George offered you their way?"

"No."

"Even if Dumbledore asked you himself?"

Jamie frowned to her friend, "Still, no. I'd rather have Quidditch than the eternal glory thing," She says, "Besides, I don't think Sirius will be happy to see me go to this tournament, and Dumbledore will surely be angry when he warned us off about joining it at dinner."

"Jamie is right, Ronald, listen to us and listen carefully," Hermione says, "No one can and will dare try to pass Dumbledore's age line with his magic on it. It will just rebound to whoever will try and I call them fool for doing and trying it so."

"Why do you want to join this tournament so bad, Ron?" said Jamie questioningly.

"For starters, winning the tournament sounds amazing," said Ron and smiled dreamily, "and also, it would be nice to be the first one after centuries, as Hermione said it, to finish the whole thing successfully. Plus, you said too that no one did dare trying Dumbledore's Magic, it will be absolutely amazing if I tried and be the one to pass it."

"Ugh," Hermione says and looked like she gave up trying, "I can't believe you, Ron."

"What?" Said Ron bewilderingly, "It's a nice time and a bloody good chance to join!"

The bell rang and everyone stands up to be in their first class. Hermione stands up and walked ahead of them, obviously upset with Ron's dismissive attitude.

"You really did it this time again Ron, and we're not halfway on our year yet," Jamie says but Ron did not mind it even a bit, too happy and deep in his own head. They started walking out of the Great Hall and to their class with the Hufflepuffs.

"It's Hermione, she will come around you'll see," Said Ron, "I really might join the tournament if Fred and George's idea worked... by the way, Jamie, you are supporting me on this, right?"

Jamie was hesitant to answer, "I don't know, Ron. Dumbledore won't be pleased and Hermione did say something about the tasks being dangerous..."

"When did we let Dumbledore stop us?" Ron harrumphed and Jamie frowned, "and those numbers of the death toll, that was before. It's different now, pretty sure anyone doesn't want more deaths and everything on that bloody tournament changed already."

"Alright... but, just be careful out there." She sighed and hopes that someone would like to try and change Ron's stubborn mind, not the twins practically but probably Ginny and more of Hermione.

"'Course, I'm always careful," Ron grinned and sling an arm around her shoulder that made Jamie smile. There's nothing more between them than the comfortable brother and sister dynamic going on, in which Jamie will cherish forever. "I knew that you'll be with me on this one, Jamie."

"Well, Hermione and I are the only ones who can stand your mad ideas," said Jamie.

"Good point," Ron says and smirked.

****

They continued tendering the Blast-ended skrewts on Afternoon near the forbidden forest when Hagrid said it will be their little project for the meantime. Jamie pushed her courage out of love on the first time she saw the odd-looking creature and tried not to scrunch her nose on the rotten fish smell that the skrewts are emitting.

The skrewts definitely don't have mouths and taunting it with ant eggs and frog livers are useless. As days passed by, the idea of them trying to feed the creature starts to become silly for her. But something might have happened when the creature's sizes and weight are twice than before and the lowering number of the skrewts compared to their first day is kind of alarming.

That's why Hagrid starts partnering them in panic and of course, to the Slytherins.

"It's only fer a short time," Hagrid consoled them and Jamie tried not to show the disappointment in her face, "Professor McGonagall specifically asked me to do so if our visitors come looking,"

Ron's eyebrows raised, "Is Hagrid even allowed to say that?"

Hermione, who's trying to ignore Ron with all of her might, did not answer and crossed her arms while Ron's shoulders visibly deflated.

"Probably not," Jamie said with a lilt of pure amusement on her tone.

"... Hermione, yer with Bulstrode," Hagrid says and Hermione started walking to where Milicent Bulstrode is standing with disgust written all over her face, "... Ron, yer with Nott."

Ron made a face and Jamie patted her friend's shoulder, "At least, it's not Parkinson this time."

"Right," Ron says before walking off and Jamie waited for her turn, praying that Hagrid will partner her with someone tolerable.

"And Jamie, yer with Parkinson."

Jamie did not bother to stop herself from showing the full scowl forming on her face, and tried to make it disappear when she saw the apologizing look on Hagrid's face. Out of all people and the universe picked Parkinson. She couldn't be more thankful.

     What's next? I will accidentally join the tournament?, Jamie angrily thought to herself before walking off to where Parkinson is smirking her pug face off as she clings happily and hangs herself around Malfoy's arm.

"Hello, Potty." Parkinson greeted and her smirk widens and Jamie rolled her eyes, "Aren't you happy to be partnered with someone like me?"

"Oh, I'm thrilled," said Jamie wryly and lowered her voice, "thrilled for you to be burned alive by the skrewts."

"What was that?!" Parkinson's face is suddenly marred of anger that Jamie reminds of Marge Dursley's dog named Ripper, and Jamie chuckled quietly.

"Nothing," Parkinson's angry pugface did not subside even a bit and Jamie turned to look at Malfoy who did not move even an inch from where he is calmly leaning on a tree, it reminds her of their talk on the forest at Quidditch World Cup. "Malfoy, will you please tame your girlfriend's temper?"

Malfoy returned her gaze with amusement and Jamie watched Malfoy disgustingly whisper something on pugface's ears, making Parkinson's wide smirk return in its place. Yet, Malfoy's penetrating gaze did not leave its hold on Jamie's eyes and made her uncomfortable more than ever.

"Malfoy, yer partnering with Finnegan." Jamie heard Hagrid said from somewhere and Malfoy cuts it before he starts walking. Malfoy made sure to bump her shoulder with his own and Jamie sent an irate look after him.

"Right," Hagrid gruffly says, "With yer partner's help, draw 'ta Blast-ended skrewt on a piece of parchment wit' accuracy. This will help you in finding ter mouth to feed them and be familiarized with ter parts."

"Ugh," Parkinson says with disgust and Jamie rolled her eyes, it's going to be a long day.

An hour and several burns later, Jamie felt herself becoming sourer and in a foul mood with Parkinson having her running commentary about the skrewts and Hagrid's way of teaching. There are already blisters forming in her hands from trying to touch it for details while the creature is being levitated in the air and had spitting fires every time they are inspecting it closely.

"Can't wait for that oaf to be fired, what a mess of a creature he is." Parkinson spat.

"Have a bit of respect, Parkinson, Hagrid is our Professor in case if you don't remember, and Don't use your mouth to draw the skrewt." Jamie snapped and resisted the urge to direct the skrewt's rear end towards Parkinson.

Parkinson ignored her and instead sighed dreamily at the sight someone behind Jamie. There's already a thin sheer of sweat forming in Jamie's forehead and she groaned internally as her arms start to ache from keeping the levitated creature up. Parkinson's work is taking half of their time and Jamie knows she's doing it in spite of her.

"Oh, Drakey-poo," Parkinson dreamily says, "Aren't you a wonder?"

Jamie turned her head to look where Parkinson is staring at and regretted her choice.

Of course, Parkinson chose to daydream more about Malfoy who's standing nearby them with his posture in complete poise, his blonde hair casting a halo around his head and his pointy face showing an expression of every inch of concentration as he draws down the skrewt.

Their creature looked like it has a protective charm around it as it was being levitated by a nervous looking Seamus, their skrewt definitely isn't spewing fires and is calmer compared to everyone else's.

"I'll appreciate it if you take your eyes off from my boyfriend, Pothead." Jamie heard Parkinson hissed.

"I'll appreciate it more if you chose to work on your drawing rather than daydreaming, Pugface." Jamie snapped and accidentally tilted the skrewt sideways. Its rear end spat fire and caught Parkinson's robes.

Parkinson let out an ear piercing scream. Jamie's lip curls into a smirk before dropping the skrewt and conjured an Aguamenti on Parkinson's robes to prevent the fire from drawing other student's attention.

Hagrid ran to them anxiously, "Wha' is it?"

"Potter incinerated my robes with fire!" Parkinson shrieked.

Hagrid's thick eyebrows drawn into confusion, "I don' see any fire."

"You poor, blind sod!" Parkinson screamed and Jamie tried to hide her laugh, "Can't you see the burnt holes in them?!"

Hagrid's eye unconvincingly narrowed, "Maybe, t'was there before you accused Jamie putting fire on it."

"I have just bought this robe!" Parkinson gasped dramatically, "Are you accusing me a liar?!"

Hagrid remained unconvinced and Jamie felt the need to intervene before it gotten worse. She doesn't want to put Hagrid on danger after what happened in their third year.

"It was accidentally on fire, Hagrid. But, it's the skrewt who did it. I only cast an Aguamenti to subside It." said Jamie.

Hagrid smiled, now more convinced. "You are not far off then, Parkinson." Hagrid lightly says, "10 points from Slytherin fer accusing someone wit' lies."

The Slytherins groaned, "Time's up, pass 'te parchments up in front with your names on it. Ye will be using it next time." Hagrid says before Parkinson can say more and Jamie watched in satisfaction as Parkinson's pugface broke in fury and tore her half-done parchment apart.

"Next time, try saying the truth, Alright? It won't bite you." Jamie winked and left Parkinson seething before the pugface stomped her way to Malfoy.

Jamie waved Goodbye to Hagrid before reaching Hermione and Ron who's looking curiously at her.

"What's up with you and Parkinson?" said Ron and Jamie shrugged in return, "It's like her knickers are always in a twist every time she's with you."

"Whoever in the Slytherins doesn't?" Jamie said defensively as they climb up the hills and back to the castle for their next class, "And It's not just with me. Almost everyone in the Slytherin is like they are influenced by Malfoy's poison or something."

"Right," Ron says, "Where was the Beauxbatons or the Durmstrangs? I don't see them looking over though?"

"Keep in mind that Hagrid said, just in case if they come looking." Hermione retorted.

"Looking for someone, Ron?" Jamie says and elbowed Ron who yelped and his cheeks start to color. Jamie didn't miss the glare Hermione sent on Ron's way.

"Anyways," Ron says loudly, "Today's Thursday, yeah? It's about time for Moody to teach us."

Jamie can't forget how excited the twins sound on retelling their lessons with Moody on their DADA lessons. It's the only subject that she wants to pass and ace out of all their subjects, and Jamie can't help herself from being curious about the Ex-Auror's way of teaching and their upcoming lessons.

"Reckon, it's going to be interesting?" said Jamie excitedly.

"Well, I heard it's going to be different this year," Hermione says, "They say Moody tends to be off-topic and likes to tell more things about the Ministry rather than the lessons itself."

"That's just right, isn't it?" said Ron, "He's an Ex-Auror, what do you expect? It's like he's getting us ready."

"You know about these Ministry things, Mr. Weasley is working in the Ministry." Hermione pointed out.

"I know some of them yeah, but not that much. Dad isn't that interested in being an Auror," Ron said and squirmed uncomfortably. "He's too interested about Muggle artefacts. Dad could've got a promotion at any time... but, he's more alright where he is now."

They finally reached their DADA classroom and Jamie's chest twinge in familiarity with the nostalgia of Lupin's fun classes, examinations, and lessons.

They sat on their desk and waited for their classroom to be filled. Jamie ignored the dirty glares from the Slytherins and busied herself on chatting with Hermione and Ron.

The door to their classroom soon hit the wall loudly, and half of their class jumped in shock. All of their heads are turned to see who entered the room.

Alastor Moody came walking and limping with the help of his cane, heavy footsteps echoed as the classroom hushed into silence and Moody's face slowly twisted into a leer. All of the scars marking the face of their Dark arts professor deepened and its magical eye (in courtesy of Fred and George naming it) starts swiveling around its tiny glass as if it is scanning each student inside the classroom in every second.

Hermione was about to open their book when Moody refrained her from doing so.

"You can put those away," Moody grunted, "You won't need anything of those in my classroom."

Ron throws them an excited smile and Jamie rolled her eyes playfully.

"I'm Alastor Moody to some," said Moody, "but to the humble students of Hogwarts, call me Professor Moody."

"We won't need the textbooks for this term. As an Ex-Auror, I'd rather pull out my experience on the job defeating and chasing the running dark wizards on the outside of these walls." Moody says, "I believe that it is wiser to expand your knowledge about what everyone out there is using and might be used against you."

"I am supposed to teach you counter-curses, but I believe in more practical approach when it comes to Dark arts." said Moody, "Can someone tell me how many unforgivable curses there is?"

A hand shot up from beside Jamie.

"Yes, Ms...?"

"Granger, sir." said Hermione, "There are three unforgivable curses."

"Ah, yes. There are three unforgivable curses," Moody nodded, "Is any of you will be able to name one of it?"

Ron's hand shot up faster than Hermione and Moody pointed him, "I know this one... My dad told me about it. It is called the Imperius curse."

"Ah, yes. I suppose your father know hell about the Imperius curse," Moody grunted, "Let's demonstrate it for better understanding, shall we?"

Moody moved to open one of the jars resting by the windows and cradled a spider on his very palm.

"A beauty, isn't she?" Moody crooned before pointing his wand to the spider, "Imperio!"

The spider seems to freeze before it started vigorously creating a fine thread of silk for a minute. It froze once again and started its tap dancing using its hind legs.

"Total control. It is what the caster would give to anyone who will be hit by the Imperius curse." said Moody, "I could make it jump out of the window and throw itself out at this very moment, or drown herself?"

No one answered and Moody clucked his tongue in disappointment. "Anyone else knows one? Another illegal curse?" Moody said, "Longbottom, isn't it? Up you go."

Neville stands up from his seat and is looking very hesitant to answer the question, torn looking more like.

"There's one," Neville said, "It's a... It's the cruciatus curse."

"Ah, yes." Moody nodded, a wide, scary grin forming in his face. "The Cruciatus Curse. We will need a larger specimen for that curse. Engorgio!"

They watched the spider's size became larger that reminded Jamie the blast-ended skrewts height condition earlier.

"Crucio!" said Moody, and Jamie can say that she definitely heard the spider scream mutely. The spider rolled around in the air and its limbs started twitching horribly. Ron shuddered and winced beside her and Hermione seems to be shaking.

"Stop it!" Hermione screamed, "Can't you see?! Neville doesn't want to see it!"

Moody's grin soon dropped and looked like he was forced out of his trance. He soon reduced the spider's size to its normal one. Neville is still standing and visibly shaking, his eyes are now closed and his knuckles white.

"Pain and torture," Moody says, "It's more than butcher knives and screws if you were hit by the Cruciatus curse."

The class is still silent and Moody walked to their desk, the struggling spider is being levitated before it was dropped down on their desk. Ron scooted out of their bench and is ashen-white in the face.

"Perhaps, Ms. Granger you can tell us the remaining curse." Moody says and Hermione shook her head wildly, her bushy hair jumping along and her eyes tight closed, "No? If you say so."

Moody pointed his wand back to the spider, "Avada Kedavra!"

A jet of blinding green light shot out of Moody's wand and it caught the spider on their desk. The struggling of the spider stopped. It went limp and its limbs giving out like it doesn't have any life before all of these curses.

The air around the classroom is tense, like everyone around Jamie is afraid to breathe or even just a contract of their lungs.

"Not nice," Moody said calmly, "The Killing Curse. Only one person is known to have survived the killing curse. And she's sitting in this very room."

Moody's constantly moving magical eyes finally stopped, and both of his eyes hold Jamie's gaze. She could feel everyone else staring right at her and her face starts to redden.

"Now those three curses," Professor Moody spoke again and turned his back to them. Jamie sagged in relief that Moody redirected his attention elsewhere and started walking to the blackboard, "are not pleasant, and there's no countercurse. The Imperius, Cruciatus, and Avada Kedavra are known as the unforgivable curses. The use of any one of them is enough to be a one-way ticket to Azkaban, and that's what you're up against."

"That's what I'm here for, you need preparing, you need arming, and most of all, you need to practice constantly." Moody says, "Now, get out your quills and copy this down."

All of the words spoken by Moody seem to fade into nothing in Jamie's ears as she stared down at the spider in front of her. The Avada Kedavra curse, it is what the cause of her parent's death and exactly like what happened to the spider.

It's like she's back again on the Patronus lessons with Lupin and she needs more than a bar of chocolate. The anguished last words of her parents are echoing loudly in her ears, and there's nothing that can take it out. She felt herself spiraling down from reality and detached from anyone.

She wondered if they just simply seen the flash of green light, completely aware of what it comes after and heard the rush of speeding death in their ears.

A jostle of her shoulders snapped her back to reality, and Jamie looked up to see Hermione looking at her worriedly.

"Are you alright?"

Jamie smiled. She wonders if it looks odd.

"I'm alright," said Jamie, not sure if she's saying it to Hermione or to herself, "I will be."

————

A/n: happy 20k to this fanfic!! I'm kind of late yeah, but its never not too late!!

I'm happy to be with yall through thick and thin and I love all of your feedbacks and critics. The comment section is always open, however not all of it will be answered though it is appreciated. Thank you for sending love and corrections in my grammar, I love y'all!!

For now, I will lay myself to sleep.

Vote? Comment? Follow?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.4K 2.3K 49
(A Draco Malfoy x she/her Reader fanfiction) Your time as a Hufflepuff at Hogwarts and the Second Wizarding War is a few years behind you as you star...
215K 6.9K 75
"Draco, look at me..." Y/N touched my face softly and I stared down at her. Tears welled from deep inside and I tried but couldn't stop them from cou...
44.8K 1.2K 20
"You're dead, Potter... I'm going to make you pay..." Draco swore his revenge on Harry for Lucius's imprisonment, and Harry all but laughed at him...
722K 25.4K 72
"Must be tough, everyone loves you, don't they? So goddamn perfect. They don't see it but I do, Potter. I can see straight through you." "And what do...