The Happy Marriage of Rosanna...

By VedaPettigrew

A lowly Baron's daughter is swept up in a whirlwind marriage to a Duke no less. Rosannah Winthrop had a lonel... More

Ch 1 - Rose and Grayson
Ch 2 - Conversation
Ch 3 - Amblethorpe Park
Ch 4 - Return to London
Ch 6 - Social Engagements and Set Downs
Ch 7 - Punishments Revealed
Ch 8 - New Sisters
Ch 9 - The 'Thing' in the Box
Ch 10 - A Thorough Examination
Ch 11 - Withdrawal
Ch 12 - A Musical Interlude
Ch 13 - Ladies Luncheon
Ch 14 - Maestro
Ch 15 - Settling Papa
Ch 16 - Henry's thoughts
Ch 17 - St Luke's
Ch 18 - Gossip
Ch 19 - Halcyon Days
Ch 20 - Persistent Visitors
Ch 21 - A Satisfying Set-Down (Henry POV)
Ch 22 - A Short Interlude
Ch 23 - Out of Sorts
Ch 24 - The Children Arrive
Ch 25 - The Gleam
Ch 26 - Waiting
Epilogue - A Happy Ever After
Thank You

Ch 5 - Getting Ready

2.2K 103 8
By VedaPettigrew

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

By the time they pulled up outside the London house Rosannah had managed to return her appearance to almost satisfactory, but with the bumpy road and without a mirror, she was sure it was lacking the finesse she desired.

She sighed to herself, acknowledging there was no more she could do to rectify the matter, and she may as well start as she meant to go on... not entirely perfect.

Foxleigh House itself was remarkably large and impressive from the outside. She had been inside it just once before the wedding, and knew the inside held to be the same. The rooms were sizeable and well lit, with rich furnishings to ensure their elegance was equal to their comfort. Rosannah was quite glad to accept them the way they came, with little need to change them. Though Henry had told her he would give her free reign to make any changes she desired.

She had yet to see her bedchamber and was looking forward to discovering the place she would rest her head each night. She also desired a good wash. The dust from travelling was all over her and she disliked feeling gritty.

"How much time do we have?" she asked Henry and he took out his pocket-watch.

"One hour, then half more, until we must leave," he ran his finger over her cheek and wiped away a smidgeon of dirt. "I am sorry that we did not return sooner to give you more time. I just wanted you to myself for as long as possible."

She liked his confession, though part of her wished she had been more prepared.

They entered the front door and Rosannah was introduced to the row of servants waiting in the hallway. They seemed friendly, though perhaps a touch more formal than the country household. All were well trained enough to prevent the shock they must have felt at seeing her dishevelled state, showing on their faces.

She made her way wearily upstairs and stifled a yawn, travelling was exhausting. Henry took her along a few corridors until he reached a door that brought her into a delightful room.

It had been recently redecorated in beautiful green-blue Chinese wallpaper, storks and herons sitting on branches among green leaves made a striking pattern all over. Fresh curtains hung at the windows, made from a duck-egg blue silk she had once openly admired in Henry's presence. She turned to him open mouthed.

He looked sheepish, "I know you should be able to decorate it yourself, and you must do so if this does not please you. But I wanted you to come to a room that was as pretty as you deserve. My mother helped, though she did not approve at first. She only agreed once she understood my reasoning." He seemed unsure of her reaction.

"I love it," she professed passionately, enjoying seeing his pleasure at her words. "I shall not change a thing. When I look at it, I will not just see the beautiful décor, but also the thoughtful and generous heart of my husband who does nothing but wonderful things for me."

Then, to her horror, she burst into tears. Emotions overwhelmed her, frazzled by the travel and distraught at leaving the halcyon week they had shared. She could not hold back from weeping.

Henry looked alarmed, "Rosie, are you not well? Shall I call for a tonic? Some wine?"

She walked into his arms and pressed her face into his shoulder, shaking her head. Her action seemed to give him some understanding of what she wanted, and he put his arms about her.

"Do not concern yourself Henry," she tried to reassure him, "I am just overtired from the journey. I also did not want to leave Amblethorpe," she hiccupped, "but then to walk in and see this," she waved her arm blindly around, "it's so wonderful."

A fresh bout of sobbing came upon her and she tried to suppress it so that her new husband wouldn't think her crazy. He rocked her gently as they stood, instinctively discovering what would soothe her, despite his initial fears.

As she sniffled less, he turned her attention to the fireplace where a large copper tub sat, complete with steaming water. She gasped in wonder and immediately started disrobing. He went to the door, quickly locking it, before returning and assisting her.

Once she was uncovered Rosannah eagerly aided him in the removal of his clothing and within but a few minutes they stepped into the warm water.

They sat at opposite ends, facing each other, and yet had plenty of room. She sank lower, sighing in contentment, "What a wonderful tub."

"I commissioned it upon our betrothal," he replied and at her look of surprise it was his turn to blush, "It was a dream of mine that gave me the idea," he owned.

She looked at him under her lashes, speaking though the smile she could not deny. "You dreamed of this?"

He nodded, "Yes, though the reality far surpasses the fantasy." A look of contentment sat upon his countenance and she wondered in amazement at being the cause of it.

"Well I am glad of your mind dear husband. Sharing a bath with you is blissful perfection." She happily sank right under the water, thoroughly dousing her hair.

"Turn around," her husband ordered as she rose. She obeyed and was rewarded with his strong fingers massaging her scalp thoroughly with some rose water that was a favourite of hers, twas a delightful sensation.

"Heavenly," she breathed. Her utopia continued when he turned his attentions to her body and she luxuriated in his arms as he washed her all over, pleasure stemming from the simple joy of being cared for in such a manner.

When he finished she delightedly returned all his actions. She loved washing his hair, the thick silky waves spreading through her fingers. Rubbing soap over his skin with her bare hands made his muscles contract and ripple, a sight she very much enjoyed.

"I wish we had more time," he groaned as she finished.

"Me too, perhaps we should have a bath again soon." She lay atop him, letting the water swish around them. "We could start a new craze, a bath a week."

He laughed, "Oh, I like the sound of that, despite the added cost of bringing in so much fresh water. The thought of doing this again in such a short time might be the only thing to get me out of this tub tonight."

She acted shocked, "Would you not for the sake of your mother?" He shook his head, spraying droplets of water.

"No," he growled.

A knock at the door brought their attention outward. Henry hauled his body from the water and donned a robe. He stalked to the door, yanking it open.

"... to leave just over half the hour from now," Maisie was calling in a mirthful tone. Rosannah was glad that these doors seemed just as sturdy as the ones at Amblethorpe.

"Sorry Your Grace." Maisie was no longer shocked to find her husband opening his wife's door, "I was just informing you when the carriage would be ready to leave."

"Yes, thank you Maisie," Henry looked to Rosannah with reluctance and she knew what he was asking. She sighed and nodded gloomily.

"Maisie, I believe Her Grace requires your assistance. I do not think we will both get ready in time without it." He returned to the tub, raised Rosannah's hand and planted a kiss on her palm, "See you soon," he promised and made his way into his chamber.

Maisie, seeing that her mistress was still in the water, flew into a panic. She whirled about the room, gathering everything that she would need to ready Rosannah for the evening. Rosannah removed herself from the tub without waiting, ignoring Maisie's protestations, and started to dry herself vigorously.

Once her body was dry she sat before the fire and squeezed her hair as much as possible to rid it of the water before gently wrapping it with a dry linen and repeating the process.

Maisie brought over a wide toothed comb and some lavender oil and started to detangle it, bringing it quickly and painfully into order.

As she glanced at the clock on the mantle Rosannah mused aloud that tonight would be perfect for letting her wild curls show.

"Just pin it up lightly," she said to Maisie, who bobbed her head - they had discussed what would look best already. Deftly her bubbly maid worked to bring messy perfection to her riotous curls, scooping her hair upwards, but leaving a few tendrils about her neck.

She arranged loose curls on the top, pinned into place so they would not move. After a few short minutes, the style was finished. Fortunately indeed, it could even finish drying while pinned up.

They looked at her reflection critically, was it too daring? Did it suit her? Rosannah nodded approvingly to Maisie who nodded back in agreement, before rushing to retrieve the clothes she had laid out.

Rosannah quickly donned her pretty white petticoats, designed to show under her dusky pink gown, embroidered with darker pink and green flowers. Between them, they had her ready in minutes and Rosannah marvelled that she had forgotten how much easier it was with a real ladies maid.

They had not much time for speaking, each so intent on the task of readying her at speed. As Maisie bent to put on the pink silk slippers that matched her robe, Rosannah saw sprigs of pink flowers on her dressing table.

She reached for them and slipped them into her hair, Maisie quickly added pins to keep them in place, giving her silent approval at her mistress's choice. Once that was done, Maisie led the way to the staircase and Rosannah descended as her maid went to fetch her silk cloak.

Henry stood at the bottom, appearing stunned as he watched her come down. Upon reaching his side, he put out his hand and with a wondrous look, rubbed a curl between his fingers.

"You look exquisite my love," he said admiringly, "Beautiful in every way. I love the way you have styled your coiffure."

She bowed her head happily at his compliments and took his offered arm. Maisie stood with her cloak at the door and Henry took it from her to put on his wife's shoulders himself. His valet dusted down imaginary specks on his tailcoat and they proceeded out.

Twas not until they were seated that the realisation dawned on Rosannah she was about to socialise for the first time as the Duchess of Amberly. Fear writhed in her stomach and she tightened her grip on her husband's arm to quell her panic.

He looked at her in query. Seeing the generosity of his expression, she allowed her dread to be heard, "Do not leave my side tonight Grayson. Please?"

He nodded thoughtfully, "If you wish."

Rosannah knew she was over-reacting, "I am sorry, tis foolish I know. I will get used to it, but I have not readied myself to face everyone. I thought we had more time."

She tried not to let her wild anxiety take hold of her body as she realised that tonight might be the night she received her first punishment. The thought made her faint with sorrow but she reasoned to herself that she would do as she did with her mother; if she kept count of her faux pas, she would be prepared for the level of pain at the end of the night.

"I should not have sprung this on you," Henry frowned, "I had not realised you needed so much preparation."

Was he disappointed? She gazed at him to see, but saw only love as he curiously looked down at her.

"Normally I do not, not once I am into a routine. But this is the first social engagement since our marriage and we have lived in a private and easy bliss of our own since that happy day." She smiled warmly at him, hoping he would not find her inadequate.

"It has been bliss, has it not?" he kissed her cheek.

"Mmm," she smiled dreamily at him.

Suddenly, she squared her shoulders, this was not the time to become a wallflower. She would do anything she could to bring honour to her husband.

"I will be perfectly fine this evening, I spoke too soon. Of course you should leave my side when the opportunity presents," she said firmly letting him hear her resolve.

He looked confused at her change of heart but rejoined, "Let us see how the evening progresses shall we? I confess I am excited for our first outing as man and wife." He looked keenly at her with a knowing grin playing upon his lips, "Particularly when I think about our little game. Your over-bearing and dictatorial husband is ready to play my dear. Let everyone see you have married an obstinate man who does not care to share you."

Her heart lightened at his words and she scrunched her nose at him in mischievous anticipation.

They pulled to a halt and the door was opened, revealing the Dowager's townhouse. Henry assisted her as she stepped out and she took one deep breath then clung to his arm as they made their way to the front door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

696K 26.1K 33
Cordelia, who was already beyond the marriageable age, quickly agreed upon the arrival of a marriage proposal from one of the most influential and we...
207K 8K 27
β €β €β €β €β €β € γ€­βœ΄ Μ½ ࣩBOOK 2 OF DELICATE β €β €β €β €β € 6TH OCTOBER 2020 ࿐ྂ β €β €β €β €β €β € β€’*β€βž· COMPLETED !! β €β €β €β €β €β˜οΈŽ 11 PM (PHT / GMT+8) βœ“ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀❝ Our life is a compilation...
1.4K 59 32
On the Island of Niapachad, there are rumors and mystery that would bring you back in time as the inhabitants of this island is a blast from the past...
520 0 22
A lady in perils! Lady Rosabelle Godfrey, beautiful, rich and spoiled rotten daughter of the 25th marquess of wrenworth, had lived 21 years of life w...