Bet On It | H. Styles

By hunflowers

All they want is to see their best friends -- who hate each other beyond belief -- fall in love. So they put... More

i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxvix
xxx
xxxi
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
final note
new story! (...again)

xxxii

7.5K 224 115
By hunflowers

Time was crunching down to the nitty-gritty. Patty was running around like a mad woman, making sure everyone knew what they were doing or where they were going. We hadn't even gotten to the venue yet.

In all due respect, her wedding's tomorrow so she does have all rights to be going crazy. But not too crazy to the point where she nearly threw a knife at all of us.

No exaggeration.

Maybe we were being extra rowdy this afternoon, not listening to anything Patty or the wedding planner, Kelsey, was saying. So maybe we deserved a knife thrown at us, but violence is never the answer.

We all packed into two separate cars heading our way down to the venue, which was only about a twenty minute drive. It was this beautiful building that was set right on the beach, only a few feet separating the concrete from the sand. Mystery is that whenever the sun sets, it hits the glass of the reception hall with this immaculate glow that shines the place up like we were actually in the sun. Sounds pretty cool, but at the same time, a bit played out just to get some good sales. The sun was due to set in approximately two hours so we'll see then.

We arrived at the 'Crescent Moon Hall' in no time, the extravagant building looming over us small humans. It was one of those places that people would see in old horror movies with lightning in the background, bats flying around, and raining pouring down to really exaggerate its ominous feel. Still a beautiful building nonetheless.

Kelsey exited her car and stood on the steps of the building waiting for everyone to arrive. Like she was some sort of queen or something. She actually had her chin held up high. Waiting around in the parking lot for a few more minutes, still making a ruckus, a few more cars joined the lot.

Patty's parents and sister exited the car, all bright smiles on their faces. Derek's family joined us, looking like they'd rather be anywhere else in their "designer" clothing. Snooty assholes. But I greeted them with kindness as I tended to do, just to get under their skin because they knew Patty was my best friend and that over everyone, I would always choose her.

A few other bridesmaids and groomsmen also showed up, embracing the fiancee's in glee. Jeez, everyone was just full of energy today. Aside from the Johansson's. They scowled at everyone.

You would think they would have the decency to at least fake being happy for their son and future daughter-in-law. But they're miserable and quite clearly so. And it seems like they want to make everyone else miserable as the energy quickly died down when the angry eyes of Derek's parents turned to anyone who dared to even smile. Misery loves company.

"Hello everyone!" Kelsey grinned from above us. "Thank you for all coming. Since this is the rehearsal we're just going to run through everything that'll be happening tomorrow; Obviously." She clearly tried to make us laugh but no one did, so she just cleared her throat to avoid the awkwardness.

"Uh– right, well, if you all will follow me, please, we'll get started," she smiled, heading into the building.

I heard murmurs behind me as we trailed up the steps, followed by some snickering and cackles. I turn around to see Liam with a serious look on his face and Niall laughing about God knows what. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, nothing," Liam waved me off. Clearly it was something. I raised my eyebrows, waiting for an answer as I stepped inside the air conditioning.

"Liam thinks he can get with Kelsey," Niall chimed in. He spoke loud enough for Kelsey to hear her name and turn around to us but she didn't question it. Liam smacked Niall on the shoulder, scowling at him.

"Lower your voice," he hissed.

"Are you really thinking about screwing the wedding planner at a time like this?" I questioned.

"Can't help you you're attracted to," Liam shrugged. I opened my mouth to say that that had nothing to do with what I asked but was cut off as Kelsey began talking again.

"So the reception is through this way. As you can see the back wall is all glass which looks out onto the beach outside, and rumor is– which I'm sure you've all heard by now– is that the room glows bright enough at sunset to feel like the sun is actually right next to us. I've been here before and I tell you that it is actually pretty mesmerizing. Anyway. . ."

I drowned her out for right now as she went over the history of the building to Patty's parents that asked. Derek's parents scoffed at them, earning a glare from me that they most definitely noticed.

I looked around at the group around me noticing that Harry stood at the back of the group away from everyone else. He looked bored out of his mind as he stood with his arms crossed, a miserable look on his face. I still was very curious as to what he wanted to talk to me about before but he never came back to me. I had half the mind to go over to him right now but I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard quite arguing to the left of me. Liam and Niall were still bickering back and forth about whether or not Liam could get into the woman's pants.

"Man, if you want to go for it, go ahead. But she's gonna say no and I'm trying to save you from that heartbreak," Niall digressed, shrugging.

"Why do you think she's going to say no?"

"She's professional. I don't think she's gonna sleep with you on the job."

"Okay, maybe I won't have sex with her now, but I'm gonna talk to her."

"Alright man, I wish you luck."

"Do you two ever shut up?" Louis challenged, now standing near his mates. Harry still remained the lone wolf.

"Do you think Liam can make it with the blonde?" Niall asked for an outside opinion. Louis looked to Kelsey then back to Liam, then back to Kelsey.

"No chance."

"Ha!" Niall shouted, all heads turning towards him. He put his hands up in surrender apologizing for his outburst.

"Wendy, what do you think?" Liam asked, "As a female opinion."

I pursed my lips in thought. She seemed like a tough one to crack. No matter what charm Liam pulls I believe Kelsey would be very hard to obtain. But, nonetheless, I do think that he has a shot. He's handsome, nice, funny, and she seems reasonable enough to not turn down such a wonderful opportunity. Of course, before she did seem snooty with her head held up high, but I think a minute with Liam and she'll turn to mush. "I think you have a shot."

Liam raised his hand for a high five which I happily obliged to. Niall and Louis rolled their eyes.

"Wanna bet, man?" Louis chimed in.

"How much?"

"Five hundred."

"Really? You want to bet five hundred dollars just to see if Liam can sleep with the girl? Are we in high school?" I scoffed at the immature boys beside me.

"Wendy's right," Niall stated. I nodded my head in thanks, thankful one of them had some decency.

"A thousand dollars."

I dropped my jaw in shock.

"Are you kidding me?" I spat at them. "If this girl finds out you bet on her sleeping with him she'll be mortified. She is a human being."

"Alright, jeez, Wendy."

"How about you just go up to her and talk to her without the incentive of money. That's always an idea."

Before anything of them could say anything else Kelsey directed us outside to where the ceremony will take place. A beautiful archway stood in the sand, the water about five feet away from where their feet will be. All types of white and blue flowers decorated the archway, coordinating as the colors of the wedding.

Kelsey was pretty forceful with this job. Our first task was to just figure out where we're standing as the ceremony takes places. Everyone of us that would stand up at the front she grabbed our arms and wrists and tugged us forward. Like, my wrist hurts right now.

"First the minister will speak 'Today we are here and blah blah blah,' then we'll get to your vows. After that is the rings which your little cousin will bring to you. Then some I do's and yadda-yadda you may kiss the bride! Easy. Now, let's practice the procession."

Kelsey told Derek to stay where he is, ordering us all to follow her down the pathway and to a different part of the building where we would exit from tomorrow. Shoving Harry and I in the front of the line, Kelsey locked our arms together and told us how slow to walk but not too slow.

"She's quite pushy. Maybe Liam shouldn't try with her," I mumbled more to myself rather than Harry but he heard me anyway.

"He wouldn't stand a chance anyway."

I rolled my eyes at him as we walked down the flower-lined pathway. "Why do you think that?"

"Liam's a softie. She's not."

"Have more faith in your frie–"

"No talking! Just smile at people when you walk down the aisle," Kelsey hissed as she ran ahead of us.

"Nope, she's annoying," Harry stated. I nodded my head in agreement.

This walk seemed to take forever at this speed we were walking. The heat was really hitting me now as we trekked down the beach just to reach the alter. At least this gave me a little time to ask Harry what he wanted to talk about.

"You know, you wanted to talk about something before but then you just left," I spoke quietly to not disturb Kelsey again.

"Not now, Wendy."

I gave him a puzzled look, "What do you want to talk about?"

"Not. Now," he hissed, then sent a small smile to Patty's parents.

"What the hell is it?" I whispered but he departed from me the moment we reached Derek. I fell frustrated as to what the hell crawled up Harry's ass and died. He wanted to talk before, but now he doesn't. Sure, maybe whilst walking the procession wasn't a good time to talk but he didn't have to be so harsh about it. Then again, it's Harry I'm dealing with.

My mind pondered for the rest of the rehearsal wondering what it is he was now trying to avoid talking about. He never came up to me to discuss what it was so obviously I had to reach out to him again. No matter hold old he gets or where he moves to or who he makes friends with, he'll always stay the same annoying Harry.

After we did all of the walking and everything to get the timing down about five times, we gathered inside for dinner. Arranged were two rectangular tables put together to seat us all. Unfortunately, because I ran to the bathroom quickly, I had the disadvantage of sitting next to Derek's parents. More specifically his mother, who, of the two, I couldn't stand more.

Awkward part was, Patty's parents sat across from them. The pairs didn't stop glaring at each other the entire time and I couldn't help but wanting to shoot myself. Whenever I tried to make conversation, Derek's mother just show me down, which would cause a small feud as Patty's mother would urge me to continue talking.

After having enough of this nonsense, I excused myself from them, walking over to where I felt more loved. Where tension couldn't be cut by a knife.

"Hey Wendy," Patty smiled, hugging me close.

"How much have you had to drink," I laughed, patting her head.

"Not much. Just a couple glasses of champagne," she shrugged, still holding onto me.

"Right, just a couple."

Everyone on this side of the table was laughing and having a good time. I glanced back to where I was sitting and noticed there was silence looming over their heads. One of these days, I'm hoping for a fight, not going to lie.

It was like Heaven versus Hell at this table.

"Hey, Wendy," Patty spoke below me.

"Yeah?"

"Whatever happened with Kenny?" I froze just at the mere mention of his name. When Patty was drunk, sometimes she couldn't control her mouth. Across the table I could also see that Harry tensed at Kenny's name.

"What do you mean?" I questioned sheepishly as eyes waited on my response.

"Is he gonna bother you again?"

"Knowing Kenny, probably," I chuckled.

It was true though. Kenny would most likely come around again but I didn't want to think about that. Not today, and especially not tomorrow. I didn't want to waste any time thinking about that scum.

"I hope he doesn't. He's a horrible person."

"You're telling me."

"When are you gonna tell us what he was talking about that day?" She looked up at me with dough eyes.

Don't break down Wendy.

"Uh–" I hesitated, my brain trying to come up with an excuse.

"Wendy, can we talk now?" All of a sudden Harry stood up from his seat, a stern look on his face. It was like being saved by the bell.

"Sure."

I unwrapped Patty's arm from around my waist and walked away with Harry. I heard whispers as we walked away. I turned my head over my shoulder to see Patty and Derek talking with shocked looks on their faces.

Harry led us to the front of the building, the farthest away from any lingering ears. I was actually kind of nervous as to what he wanted to talk about. It wasn't everyday he wanted to talk to me willingly.

"What's this all about?" I asked as Harry paced around the parking lot.

"You know what this is about."

"I can't say I do."

"Wendy," he spoke sternly.

I sighed, knowing this conversation would come eventually. I could only avoid it for so long before it would come around to haunt me.
"Listen, Harry, I can't just. . . explain it."

"I need answers, Wendy. It's been eating away at me ever since I first saw you Monday and I can't deal with it anymore. I want to know," he demanded, stepping closer to me. Involuntarily I took a step back.

My mind was slowly losing itself again as he kept coming closer. I didn't need this now. Wasn't breaking down once this week enough?

"Harry. . ."

"No, just– please, Wendy," he begged. It was a rare occurrence to hear Harry beg.

"Even if I tried to tell you, you'd never understand. I don't even understand myself. It doesn't make sense and it's better off this way, anyway."

"That's bullshit and you know it. All I ask is for some damn answers!"

"I can't! I can't explain! I– it just happened!" I shouted. God, I hope no one was listening to this conversation.

"You leaving me, doesn't just happen!"

cliffhanger :P

i wonder what that was all aboot. and guess what, you're not gonna know for a little while :D ooo torturous

leave predictions HERE

anywho, thanks for reading i love you <3

stay rad xo
-g

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 2.1K 53
Harry and (Y/N) are best friends. Harry loves girls and especially many different girls. When (Y/N) leaves to go to America he realises he needs her...
229K 5.2K 35
Harry and Brooke are bestfriends. They have very strong feelings for each other. But will something tragic tear them apart? Or will they wait for eac...
95.5K 2.9K 41
Emily Bell and Harry Styles are opposites and Emily wants to stay that way. Harry loves Emily but she has a boyfriend and wants nothing to do with hi...
55 1 2
Hot and Cold. That's the only way she can describe it. When a young One Direction fan girl gets swept up with Harry Styles, the conflicting and unpre...