Smoke And Steel

By TheMockingjayReads

"He is not perfect. He is not whole. But he is still beautiful, scars and all." *** Meet Ebony Smoke - just... More

• One - I'm Not A Princess •
• Two - God-Like When Naked •
• Three - Illegitimate Flour Babies •
• Four - Real Smooth Cha Cha •
• Five - Fro-Yo and Late-Night Delights •
• Six - The Land of Gods and Monsters •
• Seven - Mental Nudes •
• Eight - The Roux Family •
• Nine - Not About Angels •
• Ten - Tears, Shouting, and Shirtless Boys •
• Eleven - Whiskey Lips and Sunrise •
• Twelve - On Another Note of Crazy •
• Thirteen - Drunken Antics and Lost Sleep •
• Fourteen - Hot and Bothered •
• Fifteen - This Isn't Love •
• Seventeen - The Accidental Pervert •
• Eighteen - Bathroom Stall Blues •
• Nineteen - Milkshakes And Mortification •
• Twenty - Heart Flip •
• Twenty One - Avery's story •
• Twenty Two - Butterflies •
• Twenty Three - Last night •
• Twenty Four - Missing Friend Pt.1 •
• Twenty Five - Missing Friend Pt.2 •
• Twenty Six - Waiting Game •
• Twenty Seven - Angels And Demons •
• Twenty Eight - Kiss Me Slowly •
• Twenty Nine - Deer in the Headlights •
• Thirty - Thanksgiving And Fangirling Cousins •
• Thirty One - Blanket Fort Adventures •
• Thirty Two - Live A Little •
• Thirty Three - Pandora's Box •
• Thirty Four - Truly, Madly, Deeply •
• Thirty-Five - The Moon and The Stars •
• Thirty-Six - Tell Me Why •
• Thirty-Seven - Embarrassment Ninja •
• Thirty-Eight - You Deserve A Planet •
• Thirty-Nine - Black Dorris •
• Forty - Check Yes Juliet •
• Forty-One - Don't Ask Me •
• Forty-Two - The Bad Boy's Back •
• Forty-Three - I Hate •
• Forty-Four - 22 Ocean Avenue •
• The End - Part One •
• The End - Part Two •

• Sixteen - Can You Overdose On Candy? •

23.2K 789 178
By TheMockingjayReads

Ebony

So much was happening this week. Mine and Avery's flour baby was due in on Friday, which meant we still had three more days to not end up 'killing' it. I had an essay for History about the Abyssinian Crisis due in on Thursday. My dance recital was on Saturday morning, plus that day was also Halloween so everyone was already in candy-corn eating mode. Yeah, I loved Halloween, but I really just saw it as an excuse to buy ten bags of candy for half the price and no one thinks twice about it. If I want to make it til next week they'll probably have to put me on a drip or something to stop my blood from turning into liquid sugar. That's how much I loved candy.

I was currently sitting in Health next to a brooding Avery, while trying to silently sneak peanut butter M&M's from the bag in my lap to my mouth without Mr Clarke seeing me. It was kind of working.

"Hey," I whispered, nudging the rain cloud next to me, "want some?"

"Stop being so childish, Ebony," he growled under his breath at me. The way he used my name had an air of finality about it, as if to say "now leave me alone."

I drew back, just a little bit sore from his attitude. What happened to the joking boy that could never be serious apart from when he was drunk or fighting? Obviously he'd been doing the later, because he had a day-old bruise on chin, and a split lip. I wondered who'd been on the receiving end of his rage this time.

No, I silently scolded myself, don't be so quick to judge that it was his fault. But then again, who was I kidding? That boy was a six foot three fire cracker. Was this why he'd stood me up yesterday? I'd chosen to believe Tash on this one, that he'd had a good reason, but why was he being so distant now?

"- Sexually Transmitted Infections, also known as STIs can be very harmful if not treated -" Mr Clarke's southern drawl pulled me out of my thoughts, but just about made me want to puke up all of the M&Ms I'd just eaten when I saw the slide show he was flicking through. Who knew genital warts could look like a dried up riverbed? Not me.

"You never showed yesterday," I said quietly, but I wasn't even sure that he heard me because he was quiet for a full minute before I heard him speak.

"What would you like me to say, Ebony? That I'm sorry, that I should've called?" he asked, his voice rising for no apparent reason.

"I was just wondering where you were," I said, my voice still as level and quiet as before.

"I don't have to tell you anything, Ebony. Not where I was, not what I was doing. You're nothing but some girl who thinks she knows me." He was getting so worked up when he really had no right. I didn't like the way he was saying my name, it was as of he was using it in place of a swear word.

"Never mind," I mumbled, hoping he would shut up before the teacher noticed.

"No, you brought it up so obviously you want to talk about it. News flash, Ebony: I don't exist to make you happy. Boo fucking hoo, I stood you up, your poor little heart must be so fucking broken."

Tears pricked at my eyes, why was he being so cruel when I truly did nothing? I don't even know where this is coming from! "Just stop."

"Stop what, Ebony? Stop talking to you, stop this, stop breathing, stop being so weak, so useless? WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO STOP?" He shouted at me so loud that my ears rang. I was a statue and he was a raging storm.

"Mr Steel!" Mr Clarke's fist smacked his desk, causing a loud thump. "Get away from her now, and get out of my class now, or so help me God."

Avery picked up his bag and stormed out, slamming the class room door on his way out. The whole class was silent, listening to the sound of his retreating footfalls as he thumped through the school halls.

"What was that about?" Mr Clarke asked me warily after making sure I was alright.

"I truly don't know," I said, still shaky.

"Would you like to step outside for a moment?"

"Please," I said, shoving the bag of M&Ms into my blazer pocket before going out into the hall. I then took the doors that led out into the courtyard, and when and sat on one of the stone benches. After checking that no one was around I made a call to the only person I could think of.

"Tash?"

"Hey, what's up?" The sound of her voice on the opposite line was a welcome one, and
I instantly felt a bit less shaken up.

"I think something's up with Avery."

"What do you mean?" She asked, her voice edged with concern.

"He just lost it a bit in the middle of class, like, shouting his head off over the tiniest questions. Plus, he sounded like he was upset about something else. I don't know, you know him better than I do. Maybe give him a call?"

I heard her sigh, "I'll see what I can do. Thanks for calling." I thought she was going to hang up, but she spoke again, "Hey, Ebony?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't take it personally, what ever he said. He just says stuff sometimes, he doesn't really mean the harsh stuff he says."

"Okay, thanks."

"You're a good kid, don't let anyone take that from you."
____________________________________

Avery

I felt so fucking terrible for shouting at her, for saying those things. What was it that Fran called it? Projecting my emotions. Taking the feelings that I feel and accusing other people of having them. I just couldn't stop once I'd started. I needed someone to start something, to ignite the spark of my anger, and she'd been the poor soul on the receiving end of it. It wasn't a fair fight.

I had seen the hurt in her eyes, the way she trembled with fear, and I felt powerful. I hated myself for it. I was nothing if not Macon Steel's son. Nothing but a monster.

My phone vibrated in my pocket but I ignored the text. Then The Smashing Pumpkins started blasting from the stupid thing, but I was in no mood to talk. It rang and rang until I even glanced at it, and only when I saw that it was Tate did I answer. He'd probably send out a search party if I didn't.

"Tell me where you are, man," he said the moment I answered. I could hear Tash yelling something in the background.

"Why?"

"Because apparently you screamed at Ebony and you stood her up yesterday so you are going to tell me what's going on."

"How do you even know about that?"

"My sister's now besties with Ebony or something. Just tell me where you are."

"Lakewood Rise."

"Do you have your bike?"

"No, I walked twenty miles in just over ten minutes."

"Quit it with the sass, that means you would've sped like hell. Meet me at my work, but drive slow. Hold off with the self-destructive tendencies for ten minutes, I don't want you to die before you get here - my lunch break is only half an hour long."

***

"Do you want to talk?"

"Not really," I said. "You know the drill."

"Coffee, Ice Cream, and then never talk about it again?" He asked, knowing that's what I meant.

I nodded.

"We can't always avoid the topic, Avery. Tash said that your girl was about to start crying on the other end of the phone because you were going off at her in class. It's not alright, and it's even worse that you took it out on her. Take it out on a punching bag, don't take it out on her when she has no idea what's happening."

"She's not my girl," I murmured, my head hung in shame.

"We can't keep doing this, dragging you from the depths of your anger. I can't keep doing this. I think you need to move out. Board at that fancy school of yours, move in with us, or even Gun - just get out of that fucking house. Get away from your father." Tate's fists curled against the glass top of the cafe table, "I swear that if I see another bruise on you I am going to take my father's gun and shoot Macon fucking Steel at point blank range. I hate the bastard for all he's ever done to you."

I considered his words, the weight behind them. His emotions were layed out like a book for me to read. I knew he was serious, that he really would shoot my father for me. Rage was such a rare thing to see in Tate's eyes, and it was all because of his desire to help me.

"Okay," I said, resigning to the fact that I had to to save myself.

"Call the school, they'll bow down for you, for your last name. Use it to your advantage." He stood up to go, he did have work to return to after all. "Your staying with us until you get a dorm. No more house upon the hill for you."

I was eternally grateful to whatever higher power made Tate and I cross paths that day all those years ago. Maybe it was fate, or just coincidence, but whatever it was I am glad because of it.
___________________________________

Ebony

"You have to tell me everything!" Mandy demanded as she practically glided into the room, looking as effortlessly gorgeous as always.

Of course she would've heard, she knows everything that happens to everyone. She is the queen of the gossip mill.

"There's nothing to tell," I said, shoving a handful of red skittles in my mouth. Yes, I am the type of person who eats skittles in a specific colour order. Don't judge me.

"There's everything to tell, sweet cheeks. I'll tell you something if you do."

"I don't want to know anything," I groaned.

"About this you do. It involves a certain boy with a four letter name asking me about you."

"I don't care," I lied.

"I'll give you thirty seconds before I light a fire and throw all of your candy into it. That stuff is bad for you any way."

"Sorry, Miss Sugar-free Diet. All I'm saying is that he got really angry, really quickly, shouted his head off at me, and then stormed out, never to be heard from again."

"Over what?"

"That's the thing, I don't know why he got so upset."

"Well, you're a lousy gossiper, but your cavity creators are safe for now. Also, it was Rory who was asking after you."

It felt like a year since we'd gone out together, not just over a week. I also hadn't forgotten his promise - I won't give up.

"What did he say?" I asked, trying to feign indifference.

"Whether you and Avery had something going on, and whether you were free on Friday night."

"What did you say?"

"Wouldn't you like to know? No, I said that I had no idea whether you and Avery are making sweet love, and that yes, you were probably free to go to the dance with him on Friday."

"You didn't really use the term 'making sweet love', did you?" She was so embarrassing.

"I did," she said, and I knew she was serious.

"Oh Jesus, and what dance?"

"You haven't forgotten have you?" I obviously had, and she gave me a scornful look, "the Halloween dance, silly."

"Oh no, I don't want to be going to any dances, I have my competition on Saturday. I need sleep."

"Tell that to him, honey. He's the one who wants to take you out."

"You should've just said I was busy," I groaned, shoving more red skittles in my mouth. Thank the lord for fast metabolisms.

"But that would be lying, haven't you seen Harry Potter? 'I must not tell lies'"

"That's not the same, Mandy." 

"It's all the same. Now, let me tell you about what I saw at lunch time today..."

Oh God. I was going to need to invest in a pair of heavy duty ear muffs and several more bags of candy if I wanted to survive the rest of the semester with Mandy.

__________________________

A/N

Song of the Chapter - Because of the Shame by Against Me!

-C♥

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

296K 7.6K 66
"The Only Difference Between The Good Guys And Bad Guys Is Perspective." . . Scarlett Eve Pierce likes to think she's an average student that only ha...
3.2M 79.3K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
23.6K 392 46
One word. Chaos. That's all Nico Valore had brought to my life since the moment I met him. Despite all the pain and heartache, if you asked me to do...
27.6K 831 52
" hey ". I look up to see a tall guy, around my age. Dark brown hair, brown eyes. Wearing a jean jacket, jeans and a gray top with black running shoe...