The Debt Collectors War

By TessMackenzie

Ellie is a soldier in a world without governments. A generation ago, a series of financial crises caused most... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
[This is an Ad]

Chapter 67

1K 58 2
By TessMackenzie

They had been standing still for too long, Ellie thought. They had been in the same place for far too long. She was a little worried that the militia would organize themselves enough to counterattack cohesively, or that they would begin fighting back in other ways, perhaps launching countermeasures drones against Ellie and Sameh’s sensor net, causing false imaging or jamming the net completely.

Ellie threw another smoke grenade behind them, and one randomly towards the middle of the compound, and then she moved forwards again.

There was more movement around them now. The militia might already have worked out approximately where they were. On the display in her glasses Ellie could see one militia member ahead of them, about to come into view next to the building in front of her, and two more about to round a corner behind her, as well.

Ellie’s target, the one up ahead of her, was slightly quicker than the other two, and came into view first. She shot him cleanly, with three rounds into his chest, and then turned, and aimed backwards, in case Sameh needed help with either of hers.

Sameh didn’t.

As Ellie looked backwards, Sameh fired, a full-auto submachine gun burst across both militia member’s chests which probably killed them immediately, and then, a few seconds later, as they fell, two more shots from her sidearm, one into each of their heads.

They had probably both been dead before Sameh used her sidearm, though. Sameh’s quirky ammo loadouts did horrible things to people. As far as Ellie had seen, in the moment she had to glimpse it, those two people had been sliced apart by Sameh’s flechette rounds in much the same way as a detonating fragmentation grenade would have sliced them, and then they had been set on fire, too, almost at the same time. Both bodies were actually burning, as they lay there, with Sameh’s phosphorous rounds still inside them.

They were burning, but Sameh shot them both with her sidearm anyway, being careful, making sure.

Sameh was doing the same thing as Ellie, using the submachine gun as her main weapon, but keeping her sidearm tagged to a velcro patch on the armour in the middle of her chest so she could rip it off and fire quickly if she had to.

Sameh was taking her kill-shots with the sidearm, saving her quirky ammo. She was efficient, and ruthless, and Ellie looked away as Sameh killed those two people, a little unsettled by just how gleeful Sameh’s face had been. Ellie was unsettled for a moment, but then she made herself not care. This was their job, what they did, and if Sameh needed to take a little too much pleasure in killing so as not to be upset by doing it, then it wasn’t Ellie’s place to judge her.

Ellie kept moving. She could see two more people one building over from her, slowly moving closer. She went forward, carefully, up to the next corner. She was about to lean out and shoot, when suddenly the two people ahead of her disappeared.

Ellie was confused for a moment.

She had thought she was creeping up on two unsuspecting militia members, but when she glanced around the corner, there was nothing there. Just a charred patch of earth, and dirt splattered onto the nearest wall, and a haze of dust and smoke hanging in the air. Ellie stopped, confused, and then realized what had happened. She had been watching her targets in her glasses, watching those people’s sensor image, not actually them. She had been watching, forgetting a building was between her and them, and that her earpiece cut loud sounds, and while she watched, Sameh’s drone had come along and shot at the two people Ellie was watching with some kind of explosive, and killed them, and Ellie’s glasses, seeing the life-signs stop, had removed those two from Ellie’s display.

Now Ellie was thinking properly, looking properly, she could see two crumpled bodies on the ground. They were half-hidden by the smoke and torn-up earth, but they were there.

She watched them for a moment, cautiously, making sure both were dead, in case all her technology had got something wrong. They seemed to be dead. They weren’t moving, and the sensors couldn’t see movement, which meant no breathing and no heartbeat.

Ellie decided they were dead, and kept moving.

Behind her, Sameh shot them anyway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Solacium By Anna

Science Fiction

206K 11.6K 54
What do you do when a tall, unreasonably attractive alien crash lands in front of you? You shoot him of course. ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── It's been...
8.2K 183 16
Started~ Nov 12 2021 Finished~ Dystopia: an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalita...
1.1K 288 43
✅ COMPLETE Kalel has lost both parent's in New York City's World Trade Center. His mother worked in building two and his father worked in the World F...
98.9K 11.2K 42
The robots rule earth. The girl only known as reject #5642 doesn't own her name, she doesn't own her body and she doesn't see a future on the artific...