Holding On & Letting Go [✓] (...

By clarecassidy

(#1 in the Undying Love series) When he was seventeen, Troye Evans lost the love of his life. With his parent... More

Acknowledgements
Aesthetics
Soundtrack
Epigraph
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One [END]
SEQUEL ANNOUNCEMENT

Chapter Eleven

1.4K 93 18
By clarecassidy

    "Your dad never fails to impress." Jack laughs as we step out of the car that night. My parent's house is lit up with cars filling the street and music and chatter sounding from inside.

    Some of the guys I went to high school with were here as their dads were friends with mine and when they were old enough, their sons started to tag along. Most of them I hadn't seen in months.

    "Scott Evans Famous Poker Parties." I chuckle as we walk up the path to the front door of my childhood home. "It was a tradition he started back in college and mum still lets him get away with it."

    "I think it's nice that your parents moved back out to the suburbs to raise you and Aria," Jack comments. "The city is nice but the spotlight is no place for a child."

    I shrug as we walk up the front steps. "My parent's wanted us to have a normal life, away from cameras and large crowds. People still stop my mum in the street and Aria went on her first tour when she was seventeen. My family has always been in the spotlight, but it doesn't mean everything has to be."

    I laugh. "Sometimes I feel so out of place in my family."

    Jack frowns. "Why?"

    I shrug. "The names Nadia and Aria Evans alone are enough to attract screaming fans from every corner of the planet, and my dad is the genius, millionaire music producer that created them both. My whole family screams fame. I'm the only one who pursued photography."

    "You're doing what you love, Troye." Jack says. "How many people can say the same?"

    "I know, but sometimes I just wish I could do it without having my name thrown around in the media so much."

    "You're an Evans," Jack chuckles. "You were born to be noticed. Your entire family was and look what you've become. Raised in the shadow of a spotlight or not, you're loyal and compassionate and no amount of fame could ever take that away from you. You should be proud."

    I smile. "Thanks Jack."

    Suddenly the door is flung open and my mum stands there. "Did you ring the doorbell?" she asks.

    Jack smiles charmingly at her. "We were just chatting."

    "Well then, my apologies for the intrusion." Mum grins, hauling Jack and I inside.

    She hugs Jack tightly, pulling back and holding him by the shoulders. She scowls. "Have you been eating enough? You're just muscle and bone."

    Jack laughs, gently prying my mother's hand off him. "I'm fine Nadia, really. I've just been busy with work lately."

    "Ah, yes," Mum nods. "Your New York trip is soon, isn't it?"

    "Just under two weeks." I answer.

    Mum smiles, releasing Jack and pulling me into her arms.

    "My baby," she smiles. "I've missed you. You need to come around more often."

    "I'm sorry," I pull back with a sad look, running a hand through my hair. "Work has just been so busy and-"

    "Shh," Mum hushes me. "Enough of that for now. No work talk tonight. You're here, and we're going to have fun."

    Mum ushers us inside and we head down the hallway to the kitchen. The sound of men's laughter echoes from the pool house. My dad is standing in the kitchen when we enter.

    "Troye! Jack! You guys came!" he exclaims happily, dropping the bag of chips he was holding in both hands and coming over to us.

    "And we come bearing gifts." Jack holds up a six-pack of Budweiser's. My dad grins and hugs Jack before turning to me. "Troye."

    "Hey dad," I smile, welcoming his embrace. He hugs me tightly before gesturing between the two of us. "You guys playing? We just started a new round, I can deal you in?"

    "Sure," Jack replies, winking at me.

    I shrug. "I guess I-"

    "Scott!"

    Mum stomps over to us from where she's just entered the kitchen. She holds up the bags of chips and shakes them in her husband's face. "I just put three bowls out there ten minutes ago! You guys have eaten them already?"

    A guilty look comes over my dad's face and he smiles. "Hey! We're big men out there in the middle of an intense game of poker! We've got to eat!"

    "How about eating something healthy like those organic crisps I bought! Stop loading your bodies with this garbage. I'll go get a bowl."

    "Sure, honey." Dad calls after his wife as she leaves to fetch said snacks. Turning around, he picks up the chip packets and slides them unsubtly into his coat. He winks at us as he leaves. "Don't tell mum."

    A chuckle escapes me. Some things never change, and my dad, bless his soul, will never get over his fear of his wife. It made me smile. My parents were perfect for each other.

    Suddenly three men walk into the room. Marty and Alex, two boys I knew from high school, were chatting happily with Marty's dad when they see us.

    "Jack! Troye! It's so good to see you!" Marty exclaims, coming over to greet us. He pats me on the back. "How've you been, man?"

    "I'm doing fine, you?" I question.

    Marty grins. "Can't complain dude."

    Jack is in deep conversation with Alex when Marty's dad, Greg, says to my father. "Scott, you coming, man? We're ready for the next round and I'm barely scraping through."

     "Coming right now, Greg." My dad goes to leave, turning to us. "Boys, come out when you're ready and we'll deal you in!"

     "We better go," Jack laughs as Marty and Alex leave after the adults. "Your dad will kill us if we bring the wrath of your mum into his pool house."

     "Oh no you don't," Mum says, returning to the kitchen with a bowl of chips in hand. She sets it on the counter and comes over to me. "You go play Jack, I'm going to catch up with my son. We're watching Insidious tonight."

     "Mum." I groan as Jack snickers.

    "This means nothing!" I hiss at Jack as he leaves the room with a knowing grin.

     "C'mon you," Mum drags me towards the TV room. "It's movie night."

     "Do we have to watch a horror film?"

     A chuckle sounds from the doorway and I look up to find my sister leaning against it. "Wow," she says. "Some things never change."

     "I don't like horror movies," I sulk. "Sue me."

     "I'll protect you." Aria jokes, coming to take a seat next to me on the couch. She pats me on the shoulder. "It's good to see you, bro."

      "You saw me this morning." I point out.

     Aria shrugs. "This morning there was no guarantee of tonight."

    "Oh god, you're using mum's lines now?"

    "Who's using my what?" Mum re-enters the room and takes a seat on the armchair.

     "Aria is quoting you."

    "Well at least one of my children are following in the footsteps of the master." She bows her head at Aria. "Well done, young Padawan."

    I gape. "Are you serious?"

    "Hey," Mum holds her hands up in defence. "You never wanted to listen to me growing up. You were determined your way was always right. Who am I to argue against a stubborn child?"

    "Yeah," Aria agrees. "Remember the time you broke your arm on the swings even though mum told you not to jump off it?"

    "Six hours in the emergency room and he still wouldn't admit that I was right." Mum shakes her head fondly, smiling at the memory.

    "Let's just watch the movie." I pout, sinking low into the couch cushions.

    "We can't yet, we're still waiting on Layla."

    As if on cue, the doorbell rings and mum jumps up to answer it. She comes back a moment later with my sister's best friend, Layla, at her side.

    Layla immediately goes over to Aria and flops beside her on the couch. She waves at me with a lazy grin. "Hey Troye."

    I smile at her. "Layla."

    "Alright alright," Mum says as she places a bowl of food on the table. "Let's do this."

    Aria kills the lights and the room goes dark as the opening scene of the movie begins to play.

    Settling in on the couch, I throw a blanket over my lap. This was going to be a long night.

***

    Around the halfway point, we pause the movie for bathroom breaks and to refill the snack bowls.

    Half frozen in fear, I stand up and stretch my limbs. That movie was giving me the creeps. Horror had never been my thing.

    "I'm just going to run to the bathroom." Aria announces and exits the room. Mum takes a handful of bowls and carries them into the kitchen. Layla is glued to her phone on the couch.

    Needing a break, I leave through the sliding door and walk across the back patio towards the pool house.

    Loud chatter and shouting can be heard from inside the pool house. I shake my head fondly. Some things never change.

    Pulling open the door, I step into the intense scene of about fifteen men huddled around the table while three remain, each staring the other down.

    Jack is among the mix and I watch in amusement as the game begins to conclude. My dad throws down his cards on the table. "I've got nothing."

    "Nothing." The man beside my dad also tosses his cards down on the table.

    Jack's lips curve into a wicked smile. "Sorry gentlemen-" He lays his cards down on the table. "-straight."

    "Dammit!" my father cries in outrage as Jack grins and scoops up his winnings, the men around him shouting.

    I chuckle softly from the doorway. Jack must've heard it because he looks up and our eyes meet.

    "Excuse me," he says, scooting back his seat and walking over to me.

     The table is still in an uproar. We leave the room just as the men begin to shout, "Again! Another round!"

    We follow the path around to the side of the pool house where a hidden area stands in the shadows. You couldn't see this spot from the house, giving Jack and I some privacy.

    The moon reflects off the pool, illuminating the yard in a pale glow. The night air was cool but refreshing. I sigh peacefully, enjoying the serenity.

    Leaning against the side of the pool house, I say, "Not bad for a country boy."

    Jack grins. "Just good luck."

     "You know it isn't."

     Jack jerks his chin in the direction of the house. "Having fun?"

     An involuntary shiver runs down my spine. "Movies like that just shouldn't exist."

    Jack laughs. "It's not so bad."

    "You're not the one who has to see it in your nightmares tonight."

     Jack's grin is smug. "Come sleep with me. I'll protect you."

    We fall silent and I look to the side, waiting.

     Jack asks, "Are you okay?"

     I look to his face. "Why wouldn't I be?"

    My friend shrugs. "You seem a little off."

     "Just tired, I guess."

     Jack nods. "We can go if you want?"

      My eyes flick back to the room full of men behind me. "They were talking about making the pot bigger the next round. Sure you wanna miss that?"

     "I'd choose a night with you over money any day." Jack replies and my stomach flips. I was sure I would be blushing if my cheeks weren't so cold.

     I look up to the night sky. "I'm going to miss this when we go to New York."

     Jack's gaze follows mine. "It really is something."

     I look back down to see Jack is watching me. Lips parted, he whispers, "Troye."

     I move. Crossing the space between us in seconds, I catch hold of Jack on the back of his neck and pull his lips down to meet mine.

     Jack responds immediately. Curling his arms around my waist, he pulls me to him as our lips collide passionately.

     I'm against the wall of the pool house in seconds, Jack's body pressing against mine as I gasp for air before reconnecting our lips.

     What am I doing? I thought to myself. This is my best friend!

     As I came to realise, part of me didn't care, and that was the part I was going with.

     Jack's hands were under my thighs. In a flash, he hoists me up and my back slams against the wall behind us.

    "Troye," Jack whispers against my skin.

     "Please." I beg, clutching him a little tighter. "Just let me have this."

     A growl falls from Jack's mouth and then he's attacking my skin. My head falls to the side as he makes his way down my neck. This feeling, this is what I had been searching for.

     I was quickly turning into a mess, every part of me completely at Jack's disposal. Somehow, I wasn't uncomfortable and I wasn't scared. It was as though Jack was treasure but this time I didn't need a map to find it.

     What are you doing? My head screams at me, but in this moment, I couldn't bring myself to care.

     Everything was falling into place and it just felt right.

     I bring Jack's lips back to mine as my head becomes dizzy. His kisses was drugs and I was in a state of euphoria, a hopeless addict.

      Clutching Jack's body tighter against mine, I run my nails down his back, leaving light scratches on soft skin. Jack's touch under my thighs is carnal as he presses himself into the space between my legs.

     I wasn't sure how long we stood there making out, my back pressed against the wall of a building filled with friends and my father. God only knows how thankful I was for the loud ruckus they were making.

     Just as I let out an involuntary moan, the moment is ripped from me and I shiver immediately at the loss of Jack's heated touch as he pulls away from me like he's on fire.

      "Jack." I gasp as I drop to my feet.

     The look in my best friend's eyes is pure horror. I reach for him.

     "Don't." Jack revolts back harshly, miles of distance between us. He inhales sharply and looks up at me. "We can't."

     "Can't what?" I ask, taking a step towards him. "Jack, that was-"

     "No!" Jack shouts, stepping back away from me. "That was wrong." He grips his hair tightly in both hands. "We can't do this, Troye."

      I couldn't help the feeling of shame and humiliation settling into my stomach. My hand stretches towards my trembling best friend. "Jack, please talk to me."

     The look that meets mine is not the face of the Jack I know.

     "That can't happen." he states harshly. "It will never happen again."

     "But why?" I plead. Under the shame, the bliss still remained. I wanted it back, I craved it. I needed Jack's touch again like I needed the air to breathe.

     "That was-" I was at a loss for words as I shook my head. "That was everything. I know you felt it to, Jack."

     Jack shakes his head vigorously. "No, I didn't. I can't."

     It was like pieces falling into place. Things were starting to make sense in my mind, all the things I had been driving myself crazy over the past few weeks.

     Dying to know who Jack liked, why he couldn't tell me, why my sister knew. I wasn't certain, but now I was beginning to put it all together.

     "Jack," I take a careful step towards him, hands up to show I'm defenceless. When it came to Jack, maybe I always had been.

    He looks up and a hooded gaze meets my determined one.

     "I have to know." I say softly. There was too much there for it to not be real.

     Jack shakes his head almost violently, the look of complete heartbreak emerging in his eyes. "I can't."

     "Please." I beg.

     He looks away and I throw it all to the wind. Trembling, I stutter, "I-it's me, isn't it?"

     He's unable to meet my eyes and that's when I know. I know.

     "It's okay." I whisper, reaching for him. "It's okay-"

      "It's not okay!" Jack recoils from my touch. Breathless and pale, he is like a deer caught in headlights.

      "Nothing can ever come of it."

      "Nothing." I echo.

      "You said you'd help." I continue.

        The torment in his eyes makes my heart weep. He pleads with me silently. "I'm sorry."

      "Jack-"

      He rushes past me. "I'm sorry. I can't do this."

      I watch him go, hopeless and lost as one question plays over and over in my head. The same question I'd been asking for years.

      How do you know you're in love?

     Oh Troye, you'll just know. And then, there'll never be anything else again.

***

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE

What did you guys think?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 67.7K 174
''After a few seconds of them staring at one another, Dante finally spoke. But his voice had changed; it was breathless and soft, echoing with a swee...
70.8K 2.4K 43
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...
7.2M 261K 42
Nathen Dawson is so in love with his girlfriend, Tracy. The two of them are as happy as any couple can be, and there is literally nothing that can ge...
27.4K 1.1K 17
"It was the best orgasm I've ever had. It was so intense that for a second there, it felt like my soul would escape through my nipples." Luke and Dan...