Son of No City

By kittersummers

Two factions. One island. Because of his mixed blood, Leithan Blackfeather doesn't truly belong to either si... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Yoxai Mini-Dictionary

Chapter 94

169 27 12
By kittersummers

Teshin would later try to find words, to pin some descriptions on how it had felt. But nothing would come close. Nothing in the language he knew could ever explain.

When his mind was . . . gone, there was a sense of being far away, and yet, it wasn't so much a literal distance between himself and his physical body. More like the very essence of who he was became different. Fragmented, separated into countless pieces, then made whole again, in ways he couldn't understand.

It reminded him of a dream, though he was fully aware that it was something else entirely. The similarity with dreams was that when it was happening, everything made such perfect, beautiful sense. But once awake again, Teshin would be left with a profound sense of loss. Details and meanings lost.

Something ineffably precious, slipping away from his mind's comprehension.

Precious because there was something inherently good about this other state. Though he couldn't explain how he knew this, it was one of the few certitudes that lingered.

Later, he would ponder on this certitude. On this goodness. Was it the lack of suffering and fear? The strange feelings of wholeness and connection? Of limitlessness? The beauty of things so complex yet simple? He'd be left with this impression of fascinating contradictions. Everything yet nothing. Intricate yet obvious.

It made no sense whatsoever.

But right now . . .

Right now, Teshin's body was trying to wake up. The pieces that made up who he was snapped back into place, his mind re-adapted, struggling to assess what was going on.

It felt like being dredged from the depths of murky water. But the surface seemed so far off into the distance. His eyes wouldn't open. His chest felt heavy. Fear knifed him with hot-cold stabs of anguish.

I can't—

Teshin was telling his body to move, and it wouldn't obey. There was energy inside him, stirring, making him want to just move. But it felt so impossible, even painful. His neck strained when he tried to jerk his head to the side. Nothing would budge.

Even without opening his eyes – because they wouldn't – he became oddly aware of the room around him, though it was all shadowy and distorted. There were things lurking in the corners, dangerous things. Coming closer now, to hurt him.

This isn't . . . real.

But the fear was, and it paralyzed him. He'd never thought pure fear could be so painful.

When he heard Leithan's voice, calling his name, his motivation found new strength. Leithan was also holding his hand, Teshin realized, and that felt much more real than the lurking shadows, or anything else. Leithan's voice was low and gentle, but also firm, and determined, as he called his name and told him to wake up.

It felt as though Teshin could finally glimpse the surface of the water, and the glow of light on the other side. He told his body to move, to just sit up already, and finally, it worked.

Teshin came to with a gasp, shaking with the lingering, aching fear. Grasping at the blanket with one hand, clutching Leithan's hand with the other.

He stared with some panic into the shadowed corners of the room, but of course, there was nothing there.

"Tesh," Leithan said, and he sounded relieved. "It's okay."

The fear and pain faded away, evaporated, soon replaced by something else. Warm and consuming, it instilled in his heart a very different kind of ache. And when Teshin looked at Leithan, what he saw, etched across darkened gray-blue eyes, mirrored his own need.

Tesh flung himself into his arms and they held each other, hands clinging to one another, with long, close-eyed sighs.

"You're gonna be okay," Leithan whispered, and Tesh wasn't sure if the words were meant for him, or for Leith himself. It didn't matter, anyway.

He breathed in the clean scent of soap on Leithan's skin, and Elissi's evening wind in his hair. Smooth dark hair, like a raven's feathers in the dim room.

They pulled away, but held on to each other's arms.

"How long was it, this time?" Teshin asked, in a voice that sounded like he'd just smoked ten joints. He cleared his throat – which turned out to be quite painful. Swallowing was a laborious task.

Leithan's expression was full of concern. "Days," he admitted. "A lot's happened. But we can talk later. I promise I'll tell you everything. First I need to get you out of here, okay? Can you walk?"

Teshin nodded, his heart clutching tight. A lot's happened.

Leithan started to move away from the bed, but Teshin held him back, just for a moment. Then, Teshin pulled him close again and kissed him – soft, and yet fierce, it came from a place much deeper than word-shaped thoughts. A place Teshin trusted more than anything.

A small, sincere smile played over Leithan's lips as he drew back. A beautiful smile – then again, Tesh liked all of Leithan's smiles. He had many different ones, if you paid attention.

"Come on," Leithan said softly.

"I think I need some water," Teshin said as Leithan helped him to his feet.

"Yeah," Leithan said. "On my to-do list." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 8.6K 35
Jesse's entire life is a charade. Everything he does, he does to hide the truth. His girlfriend? Fake. His hair colour? Fake. His love for soccer? Fa...
1.1M 69.9K 55
Through a strange series of encounters, a delinquent high schooler and upright university student find love. ***** No longer interested in clubbing...
88 14 17
Gavin and Izuki were pen pals growing up. One day the letters stopped, but Gavin never stopped thinking about Izuki. He never forgot what he learned...
14.1K 1.1K 26
Chance Taylor really wishes his life would slow down. He's tired of moving. Noah Brennan really needs a change. He's been stuck in the same town his...