Undestined: Fight your Fate

By OneStoryteller

Sometimes, you have to make your own destiny... Silay has spent her whole life looking forward to Fortune Day... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Fate and Fortune
Chapter Two: The Unquest Begins
Chapter Three: The Traveling Seer, Part 1
Chapter Three: The Traveling Seer, Part 2
Chapter Four: Trust and Betrayal, Part 1
Chapter Four: Trust and Betrayal, Part 2
Chapter Four: Trust and Betrayal, Part 3
Bonus Chapter: Riya's perspective
Chapter Five: Revelations, Part 1
Chapter Five: Revelations, Part 2
Character Profile: Silay
Chapter Six: Concerning Magic, Pt. 1
Chapter Six: Concerning Magic, Pt. 2
Bonus Post: Character Profile, Riya
Chapter Seven: The Strange Magician Pt. 1
Chapter Seven: The Strange Magician, Pt. 2
Bonus Chapter: Riya's Perspective Chapter 7.5
Chapter Eight: An Unexpected Encounter Pt. 1
Chapter Eight: An Unexpected Encounter, Pt. 2
Chapter Eight: An Unexpected Encounter Pt. 3
Chapter Nine: In the Silent City, Pt. 1
Chapter Nine: In the Silent City, Pt. 3
Bonus Post: Character Profile, Jarlen
Chapter Ten: Whispers of War, Pt. 1
Chapter 10: Whispers of War, Pt. 2
Character Profile: Talis
Chapter Eleven: Ripples in a Pond Pt. 1
Chapter Eleven: Ripples in a Pond, Pt. 2
Chapter 12: Blood Magic, Pt. One
Chapter 12: Blood Magic, Pt. 2
Chapter 12: Blood Magic, Pt. 3
Writing Contest!
Writing Contest: Character Challenge, Winner- @Alexmgrove
Chapter 13, Pt. 1
Chapter 13, Pt. 2
Chapter 13, Pt. 3
Chapter 13 Epilogue (AKA the italic bit at the end of each chapter)
Chapter 14, Pt. 1
Chapter 14, Pt. 2
Chapter 14, Pt. 3
Chapter 14, Pt. 4
Chapter 14 Epilogue

Chapter Nine: In the Silent City Pt. 2

193 18 21
By OneStoryteller

Silay was woken up by the sound of Riya thrashing against her blankets. She jumped to her feet and grabbed Riya's shoulder, shaking it gently.

"Riya? Riya, wake up. You're dreaming."

Riya continued her imaginary struggle, and Silay shook her shoulder harder. "Riya? Riya. Riya!"

Riya shot up into a sitting position, breathing hard.

Silay instinctively jerked her hand away, then tentatively replaced it back on Riya's shoulder.

"It's all right. You were just dreaming."

Riya blinked a few times. "Silay? What-I thought-"

"It's all right. Just a dream. Whatever it was, it isn't real."

Riya shook her head. "It was though. Just not anymore." She looked up. "I'm fine. Really." She gave a small smile, but Silay could tell it was forced. "I could use a cup of tea, though."

Silay hesitated, not sure if she should leave, but Riya gave her hand a gentle push off her shoulder. "Go. I'm fine."

"All right, then." Silay didn't believe her, but had a feeling Riya wanted to be left alone, so she headed towards the kitchen.

* * *

Jarlen was already in the kitchen when Silay entered. He nodded a greeting. "The water is boiling. There'll be tea soon."

"Good." Silay sat down at the table. "I'll take a cup for Riya, too."

"Is she up? How is she?"

Silay shrugged. "I'm not sure. I know you're not a Healer, and the problem is magical, but-"

Jarlen smiled at her as he poured a cup of tea. "I'll look in on her. See if there is anything I can do."

"Thanks." Silay reached out to take the cup, but was interrupted by a pounding from the door down the hall.

"Hey! Remember me? Any chance of getting some food?"

Silay stopped, her hand halfway to the cup of tea. "Drats. I'd almost forgotten about Talis." She dropped her outstretched hand. "You want to take the tea, and I'll go deal with him?"

Jarlen raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure." Silay's voice was grim."

"All right. Shout if you need anything."

"I will."

Silay stood and exited the kitchen, a single thought circling in her mind. She was done. Done dealing with Talis and his lies. She was fairly certain his threats were empty, and he was more dangerous near them, where he could be tracked, than out on his own. He had stopped shouting, but was still hitting the door in a half-hearted manner when Silay threw it open.

"Out!"

Talis froze mid-knock. "Out where?"

"I don't care. Just get out."

"I'm free to go?"

"Isn't that what I just said?"

"But-" Talis paused. "If I leave, Kahoz will just grab me again."

"I really don't care." There was a sharp edge to Silay's voice.

"I came to you for help. You're supposed to be the good guys."

"And you threw in your lot with the bad guys. It's called consequences."

Much to Silay's surprise, Talis walked back into the room and sat down on the edge of the bed. She glared at him.

"That's the opposite of what I told you to do."

"Did Riya teach you to fight like that?"

"What?" The change of topic caught Silay off guard.

"When you caught me. Did Riya teach you that?"

"Yes."

Talis nodded, as if this information meant something to him. "You fought well."

"And what does that have to do with the price of cheese?"

He shrugged. "Just thought you'd like to know."

There was a moment of silence before Silay spoke. "She's sick. Riya, I mean. Because of you. Because you led that magician to us."

"I know." There was remorse in Talis' voice, but Silay couldn't tell if it was genuine or not. He looked up and met her eyes.

"Do you have any idea what it's like? Trying to live up to some amazing Destiny with no idea how to do it?"

"No," Silay said drily. "I don't."

"Oh, right. I forgot." Talis sighed and dropped his gaze. "One of the Dagrosa council members told me about the plague. Since I have a Hero-like Destiny, he thought I might be able to help." He shrugged. "But the Seer wouldn't tell me anything about it. So I left to see what I could find on my own."

"And you met Kahoz."

"No. I met Kade." He looked back up. "I truly never meant for anyone to get hurt. I just thought that this was my chance to be great, you know? I'd get close to Kade, figure out what was going on, and stop the plague."

"But you changed your mind and decided to help them attack us instead?"

"No!" Talis stood up. "Kahoz got suspicious when he learned you and I were both from Dagrosa. He made me take a blood oath. And I was afraid of what he would do if I refused."

Silay stared at him for a moment, digesting this. "You still did wrong," she said finally. "The Seer told you not to get involved."

"I'm not asking for forgiveness. Just for help."

"Then ask someone else. Go or stay, I don't care." Silay turned to leave, but stopped to look back at Talis. "But if you do stay, you'll have to find your own food. We're running low on supplies."

She left the room and headed towards the kitchen. A few moments later, Silay heard Talis walk out of the house, and realized she was unsure whether she wanted him to leave or come back. She didn't trust him, or even like him, but she could relate with his uncertainty about the future. And, selfishly, she didn't want to feel the guilt she knew she would if something bad happened to him.

Silay threw herself down into the kitchen chair, and Jarlen handed her a mug of tea.

"That," he commented, "wasn't exactly what I thought you meant when you said you would 'handle it'."

"Sorry." Silay sighed. "I just didn't want to deal with him anymore."

Jarlen sat down across from her. "Are you all right?"

Silay looked up and was surprised to see how worried he looked. "I'm fine. Just a little tired."

Jarlen chuckled. "'Fine'?" Now you sound like Riya."

She shrugged. "Maybe she's rubbing off on me."

"That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I meant my question. Are you all right?"

"I don't know." Silay stared at her tea in silence for a moment. "I'm not sure what I expected when I started out, but it wasn't this."

"Nobody expected this."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Perhaps. There was always the chance of danger when you set out, but I don't think the Seer would have sent you, unprepared as you are, if anyone had thought you would be attacked."

"She didn't know there was a person behind the plague."

"And now she does. Now we all do. Because of you."

"But I didn't do anything!" Silay exclaimed.

"Exactly!" Jarlen gave a small smile. "That was always the plan, remember? Things have changed. The future has changed. And the only thing different from the seers' original visions was you."

"Except now there's a war coming."

"Everything has consequences. You know that."

There was a long silence.

"Jarlen?"

"Yes?"

"Do you really think my blood could help stop the plague?"

Jarlen paused before answering. "I don't know for certain, but I do believe there's a very real possibility it could."

Silay nodded her head slowly, making her decision. "Then when we get back to Sojan, I'll let you try."

"Thank you."

_________________________

So, what do you all think of Talis now? Has he won you over yet? Do you think he is leaving, or do think he'll come back? Let me know in the comments!

If you liked the chapter, please let me know by voting and clicking the star :)

P.S. Sorry for all the short posts lately. I promise there will be some longer ones soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 14K 53
Get out your popcorn, tourists beware, here comes a paranormal adventure with a historical twist, set in Egypt--and Britain. From Chapter 29 'Dark...
165K 24.6K 70
Nirrin spends her days in Foresthome caring for orphans, getting into trouble, and listening to other people's adventures with secret envy. Which is...
26 0 8
When a young nameless girl wakes up in a peculiar world, she looses feeling and memory of herself. Why she got there, who she used to be, what some o...
61 2 17
The Outcast. The Traitor. The Savior. Fate has a funny way of finding you when you least expect it. Elisven on the other hand seems to have thrown h...