How to Trust Someone

By UmbrellasInTheRain

Garrett Thompson doesn't trust anyone, and no one trusts him. Elizabeth Beckett loves everyone, and everyone... More

Chapter 1 - Garrett
Chapter 2 - Liz
Chapter 3 - Garrett
Chapter 4 - Liz
Chapter 5 - Garrett
Chapter 6 - Liz
Chapter 7 - Garrett
Chapter 8 - Liz
Chapter 9 - Garrett
Chapter 10 - Liz
Chapter 11 - Garrett
Chapter 13 - Garrett

Chapter 12 - Liz

613 29 7
By UmbrellasInTheRain

Chapter 12 - Liz

I wake up to the sound of knocking, and my mom yelling at me about that knocking.

"Liz!" she yells, even though she's right next to me. I groan. "There's a boy here for you!"

I roll over, smashing a pillow over my head. "You're lying to me, mom," I grumble. "There's no one here for me."

"Get out of bed, Liz," my mom says flatly, throwing my covers off me. I let out another loud groan. "You're making him wait."

"Making who wait? What kind of boy would wait on me this early in the morning?" I argue. It's a strong argument, I think, and I know my mom must be lying to me. She was the one knocking, not this imaginary boy she's trying to make up to get me out of bed.

"This kind of boy," a new voice interjects. I recognize it right away.

It's Garrett.

I don't know what to do. My first instinct is to curl up and tangle myself in my comforter, but my mom took it away. My second instinct is to wish that the Earth would open up and swallow me whole.

Sometimes, I can't always get what I want.

Tentatively, I remove the pillow from over my head. I sit up in bed, avoiding eye contact with both Garrett and my mom.

Staring at my hands in my lap, I say, "Why are you here?"

"We're going to the park," Garrett says matter-of-factly. My eyes widen, and I look up at him. He's the only one here now; my mom left us to our own devices. I wince.

"Why?"

"Because," Garrett says nonchalantly. I nod slowly, waiting for him to finish, raising my eyebrows. Garrett adopts an uncomfortable expression, so he turns to look around at my room.

"Wait, wait, wait," I say. "You're telling me you want to go to the park with me, 'because'?"

"Yeah, I dunno," Garrett mumbles. "I woke up too early today, and I'm bored. You're the first person I thought of."

"What about Brandon?" I press. "Or Grant? Or some other friend of yours?"

"Well geez, if you don't wanna go, then don't," Garrett deadpans.

He shrugs and turns to leave my room, but I scramble out of my bed to stop him. I tug on the back of his shirt, and he makes this choking noise. Scared that I hurt him, I cover my mouth. Garrett turns around to me, rubbing his neck, with a confused expression on his face. His eyebrows furrow over his blue eyes.

"I do want to go!" I say, a little too excitedly. The corners of Garrett's lips twitch into a smirk. I clear my throat, toning down my enthusiasm. "Just let me get ready," I add quietly.

Five minutes later, I'm sitting in Garrett's old car, adjusting the AC vents, on the way to the park.

"So," I say conversationally, "why did you - "

Garrett cuts me off. "Let's turn on the radio."

I scoff. "Rude, much?"

"I already told you why I want to go to the park," Garrett says. He sounds a little defensive. I frown.

"I wasn't gonna ask that," I retort. "I was gonna ask why you asked me."

"Oh. Well. Because," he replies. I roll my eyes.

"Fantastic," I say sarcastically. "Really gives me insight to your reasoning."

"Wow, you're capable of being sarcastic? That's insane," Garrett says, smiling crookedly. He even sends an amused glance my way. "I'm proud."

"What do you mean, you're 'proud'? You didn't teach me how to be sarcastic," I argue. Still, for some reason, I start to grin. I can't help myself, my mouth just forces itself to smile.

Garrett glances over at me again, still smiling slightly, but when he sees me smiling, he turns away quickly, clearing his throat. I narrow my eyes. Okay, fine. He doesn't want to see me happy. I get it.

I cross my arms stubbornly, staring out the window. The silence in the car is deafening, so I slam the button to turn on the radio. When the music starts playing, I nearly jump out of the car. Scared out of my mind, I jump in my seat, my head nearly hitting the roof.

"Holy hell, Garrett! Are you deaf?!" I yell over the music. Garrett laughs, reaching over to turn down the volume. At normal volume, I recognize the song.

"Oh my God," I say excitedly, another grin making its way onto my face. "I love this song."

It's the song Arrows, by Fireworks, and I can't help but start singing. I throw my hands in the air, waving them around, because for once, I don't care. Garrett rolls down all the windows, and I'm glad, because it's September and it's still warm outside. The air rushes into the car, and I don't care if my hair gets messed up. I don't care if Garrett sees what a freak I am. I just don't care for these few minutes.

Suddenly, it's over. Garrett cuts the engine and gets out of the car. I look around, realizing we're in the park's parking lot. Looking through the windshield at Garrett, I purse my lips awkwardly. He's grinning at me, his eyes lit up with amusement. I smooth down my hair.

Okay, so maybe I do care if Garrett sees what a freak I am.

As I hop out of his car, I think to myself, I shouldn't care. And I shouldn't. Garrett doesn't even like me as a person, so I'm not supposed to like him back. So, why do I care?

"That was my summer CD," Garrett mentions, out of the blue. "It's pretty lame to have one, but - "

"It's not lame," I interject. "I have a CD for every school semester."

Garrett gives me a weird look, then chuckles. "Nerd," he says. I pretend I'm offended.

"Oh, you take that back," I say, feigning hurt. Garrett rolls his eyes, smiling slightly.

"Whatever nerd, let's just go find something to do," he says. He walks ahead of me, and I find myself smiling, walking after him.

We end up going to the playground, because apparently, neither of us are good at any sports. When we passed by the basketball court, I asked Garrett if he wanted to play. He said sure, that he was great at it, so then I had to chicken out. I told him I sucked. He gave me this look, and then he sighed, and then he told me that he sucked, too. I laughed at him for about five whole minutes.

"You were totally trying to impress me," I taunt, claiming a swing. "For serious."

"Really, Liz? 'For serious'?" he replies. He sits on the swing next to mine. He looks away from me, probably trying to come up with a good defense. When he does, he looks back at me. He says, "No, I wasn't." I bite my tongue so I don't laugh.

"Whatever you say," I sing-song. I push myself off the ground, starting to swing back and forth. Moving my legs to go higher, I'm already in full swing in a few seconds. Garrett starts to do the same.

"Oh my God, I'm too tall," Garrett groans. I look over at him, trying to move his legs to swing. With every motion, his feet skim the ground. He looks so upset, pouting like a five year-old. I start cracking up.

"Would you like me to push you?" I call jokingly. Garrett shoots me a look. It only makes me laugh even harder. He's adorable.

I stop myself short. Woah, woah, woah. Garrett Thompson is not adorable.

But when I look at him again, I realize, well, he kind of is. Not only looks-wise, but just how he is. Once I really get to know him. I mean, if I'm allowed to get to know him.

"Shush, Liz. Swings are lame," he says, getting up. I laugh, jumping off my swing, thankfully sticking the landing. How embarrassing would it be if I fell?

"You're lame," I rephrase. Garrett rolls his eyes at me, laughing a little.

"You Liz, are the master of insults. Really, my heart is broken," he replies sarcastically. I chuckle and catch up with him.

"So if swings are lame, and you suck at sports, what now?" I ask. Garrett quirks an eyebrow at me.

"You know, I think I'm the first person you've ever insulted," he says thoughtfully. I frown.

"So what?" I ask. "It's no big deal."

"So I am," he says. I shrug. "Just to make sure."

"And?" I say curiously. Is he trying to say something? Garrett shakes his head, chuckling lightly.

"Nothing," he says, partly to himself. I let out a groan.

"Garrett," I say. "Seriously?"

He shoots me a mischievous look. It looks like he knows something I don't, like he's hiding something. I purse my lips at him.

"Seriously, Garrett. What about it?" I urge. I suddenly feel uncomfortable not knowing what Garrett thinks. He must be planning to tell everyone at school that I'm not actually as nice as I seem, that I've insulted him, even if it was just joking around. All of a sudden, I feel like I've put my reputation on the line.

"Nothing," he repeats. "Scout's honor."

"You're not a scout," I say flatly. Garrett laughs.

"It's just a saying. And I really do mean nothing," he says. I sigh, about to let myself give up, but Garrett sends me another glance. I chase him down.

"You mean something! You do!" I call after him. Garrett laughs, running down a hill.

"I don't!" he yells back. I'm about a foot behind him, but he jumps up and grabs a hold of a tree branch. Before I can do anything, he's hauling himself up into the tree, sitting on the branch within a matter of seconds. I start panting.

"You're out of shape," Garrett comments. I send him a dull look, not even bothering to reply.

Garrett opens his mouth to say something else, but someone starts yelling. We both look in the direction of the noise, and coming down the hill, I spot two figures. They're both about the same height, and one of them is waving at us.

"Yo, yo, everybody!" the waving one yells. I grin slightly. It's Grant.

"Hey!" I call back, wandering over to them. I give Grant a hug. Alison's the other person with him. I give her a hug, and grin at both of them. Extra smiles and extra friendliness for those who aren't Garrett.

"What are you two doing here?" I ask, making conversation. Alison nudges Grant with her shoulder, and Grant laughs, giving her a kiss on the cheek. My eyebrows shoot up.

"We're dating," Alison says, just as Grant says, "She's my new lady friend."

I'm in shock, so I have to shake myself out of it. I plaster a huge smile on my face, giving them both another hug, but at the same time. They hug me back awkwardly.

"I'm so happy for you two!" I gush. "And you're lucky, too. You'll have a good soundtrack for Ms. Fenley."

Alison grins at this, as if she already knows. Grant adjusts his glasses, then wags his eyebrows at me.

"I'm sure you and Garrett will have a fabulous one as well," he says, almost suggestively. I have to stop myself from choking on air. What's with the tone?!

I giggle nervously. "W-What do you mean?"

"Oh, you know," Alison says, just as suggestively as Grant. "You and Garrett have total chemistry."

I laugh again, this time even louder. I slap my knee for effect. "Garrett and - haha! No way, you're crazy. Alison, always the joker!" I cry anxiously. Grant smirks at me.

"You may not see it, but I know Garrett does," he says. He leans to the side slightly, looking over my shoulder. "Isn't that him, over there?"

I look over my shoulder, pretending I didn't notice Garrett sitting in the tree until now. I gasp exaggeratedly. "Wow, it is! I can't believe I didn't notice him until - "

Alison cuts me off. "Liz, we know you're here with him. Don't deny the loooooove."

"Love?" I say incredulously. "Alison, the guy doesn't even like me as a person."

"Then why is he here with you?" Grant presses. I don't even deny we're here together this time.

"He asked me," I say without thinking. Grant and Alison exchange knowing looks, so I start babbling. "It's only 'cuz we're neighbors and he woke up too early and everyone else lives too far away and just - "

For about the millionth time, I'm interrupted. "Admit it, Liz. He likes you, and you know it," Alison says. "You should be happy. He's cute."

"Yo," Grant protests. Alison grins at him, kissing him on the cheek. They're an unlikely couple, but they're cute together. I approve.

"Seriously though, Liz. You should consider it. I'm sure a guy like Garrett doesn't usually like many girls," Alison says. I frown.

"A guy like Garrett?" I parrot, not sure what it means. Sure, I probably know Garrett better than anyone else in the school, but I haven't classified him as a certain type of guy. Well, besides the fact that he's paranoid and shuts out the world and refuses to trust anyone.

"Yup," Alison says. Before I can say anything else, she holds up a picnic basket. "We're here to picnic. I'm sure we could make room for two more, if you're willing to double-date," she adds, winking at me. I force a laugh.

"No thanks, you two go have fun," I tell them. My cheeks are hot, and I suddenly feel exposed. Grant grins at me, squeezing my cheeks.

"Stop blushing," he says. "Just be yourself around him."

"Go get your man, girl!" Alison says, pulling Grant away. I'm dumbstruck.

"I'm not - we're not - who says - you guys!" I protest. "No!"

I can hear them laughing. They walk off together, holding hands, probably making fun of me. I sigh.

I turn back to Garrett, who's still sitting in the tree. I guess he didn't feel like socializing with Grant and Alison. He's staring down at something in his hands, which I'm assuming is his phone.

Garrett can't possibly like me, especially not in the way Alison and Grant are implying. He hasn't shown a single sign of interest. I haven't shown any interest, either. How the heck did they even get to that conclusion? It's ridiculous, unheard of, just straight up outrageous. There's nothing between Garrett Thompson and I.

So why does my heart beat faster when I start walking back to him?

<><><>

ERMAHGERD, I'M BACK.

Let the apologizing commence.

I'm sosososososo SOOOO sorry I haven't uploaded in like, a month! I think it's the longest time I've ever gone without uploading, and I think that's what motivated me to write another chapter. That, and my friend Ruth (ColorfulBeads) always telling me to upload. (ARE YOU HAPPY NOW RUTH)

Anyway, thanks so much for reading!

Also, this is the first time I've uploaded since school started. How's everyone doing at school? Good?

I'm not. I got an F on my first pre-calc quiz. Now I have an F in the class. My mom's gonna pull me out of the class so I can take it online, cuz my teacher's unfair. Ugh. At least I'll get to stay in the library on the computer because I can.

Hope you liked it! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164 4 34
Elizabeth Elena Evans is a normal senior attending Glendale high. She's not in the popular group nor the nerd group she's basically invisible. At ho...
11.4K 848 17
She'd die for love. He didn't believe in love. *** From reading The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood, to watching 10 Things I Hate About You, to list...
43.4K 2.2K 50
Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving away in her convertible and leaving her pa...
341 48 23
When Lisa Winters gets into a car accident, because of her fucked-up mother; her whole world flips upside down. When Lisa and Chase finally admit the...