Path To Restoration (Fighter'...

By TheFeveredBookaholic

*Warning: LABELLED MATURE. Due to sexual content and graphic language, this book is recommended for readers 1... More

Dedications
Prologue - Nate
Chapter 1 - Delilah
Chapter 2 - Nate
Chapter 3 - Delilah
Chapter 4 - Nate
Chapter 5 - Delilah
Chapter 6 - Nate
Chapter 7 - Delilah
Chapter 8 - Nate
Chapter 9 - Delilah
Chapter 11 - Delilah
Chapter 12 - Nate
Chapter 13 - Delilah
Chapter 14 - Nate
Chapter 15 - Delilah
Chapter 16 - Nate
Chapter 17 - Delilah
Chapter 18 - Nate
Chapter 19 - Delilah
Chapter 20 - Nate
Chapter 21 - Delilah
Chapter 22 - Delilah
Chapter 23 - Nate
Chapter 24 - Delilah
Chapter 25 - Nate
Chapter 26 - Delilah
Chapter 27 - Nate
Chapter 28 - Delilah
Chapter 29 - Nate
Chapter 30 - Delilah
Chapter 31 - Delilah
Chapter 32 - Nate
Chapter 33 - Delilah
Chapter 34 - Aria
Chapter 35 - Nate
Chapter 36 - Nate
Epilogue - Delilah
Author's Note
BOOK 4 Cover and Title
BOOK 4 Synopsis
BOOK 4 Teasers

Chapter 10 - Nate

101K 3.7K 6.1K
By TheFeveredBookaholic

"You made it!" I exclaim as my friends file in to my office and come over to greet me. I stand up so I can return all their gestures, hand-clapping my boys and offering a quick hug and cheek-kiss to the girls. Delilah hesitates when it's her turn and I have to hold back a smile.

It's been a week since the late night we had and although I've seen her everyday since, part of her always gets a little nervous at first when she first sees me. I'm not going to lie—I think about that night a lot. Just the thought of my sweet and innocent Angel touching herself while she was next door to me had made me so hard I was surprised I lasted through our whole conversation. As soon as I got home, I got in the shower and relieved myself of all the tension I was feeling. The entire time I'd imagined Delilah's soft gasps and quiet moans as those dainty fingers played with herself. I had a feeling she was quiet in bed but definitely expressive like she often is with me. How would she react if I put my hands on her? Or better yet, my mouth on her?

I clear my throat, feeling a muscle pulse in my jaw, as I watch Delilah walk towards me. She's blushing, unsurprisingly, and can probably tell what I'm thinking about. It's not like I try to hide it anymore anyways.

"Hey." I wrap my arms around her and hug her to me, swaying gently. I speak quietly into her ear. "You good?"

She nods against my chest as her arms tighten momentarily before she lets go and steps back. I clasp her chin in my hand and duck my head so I can kiss her softly on the cheek, just mere inches away from her mouth. When I rear back to look at her, she watches me curiously and a small smile tugs at her lips. That's definitely a first. Normally she'd pull away and hide behind either Em or Avery, embarrassed by the PDA. I can't exactly say what that means but it makes me smile in return. "You look gorgeous."

"Thank you." She whispers and looks down at herself, probably wondering what I see. Her outfit of the night is a simple maroon dress that flares out at her waist and stops above her knees and she's wearing matching ballet flats. She left her hair down the way I like so much and I can't resist catching a stand between my fingers, drawing her attention back to me.

"You gonna introduce us?" Cam interrupts although he's watching the two of us with a huge smile. Everyone is, I realize. Delilah catches on too a second later but this time she hides behind me. Also considering that a win, I wrap my arm around her and hold her to me protectively.

"He probably thinks the most trustworthy people in his life will suddenly morph into serial killers because that's how his brain functions around his little sisters." Lexie remarks dryly and I throw a glare her way, one that says if-you-keep-this-up-I'll-send-you-home. She rolls her eyes. "I'm Lexie."

"Hard to believe you're related to this jerk-off." Cameron grins at her in a way that makes women go stupid and apparently my sister is no exception, looking a little dazed as she shakes his outstretched hand. "Nice to meet you, Lexie. You're very beautiful."

"Thank you." She giggles and I scoff. Gag me.

I look down when I feel a nudging in my ribs. Delilah rises up on her toes so she can speak into my ear. "He's just being Cam. Your sister is here for a good time so don't act like her bodyguard or she won't have that."

"Traitor." I murmur playfully but press a kiss to her temple. "Fine. But only because you said so."

"She is so my new best friend." Lexie mumbles, clearly eavesdropping on us. She elbows me out of the way and I grunt, my arm falling off of Delilah's shoulders. "You must be the Nate-whisperer. Thank you for your service."

"Thank you for your service." I mimic in an exaggerated high-pitched voice to which Lexie gives me the finger. Brat.

"It's nice to meet you." Delilah responds kindly while throwing me another look that has me clamping my mouth shut. Okay—so maybe the brat is on to something. The guys break out into snickers and I tell them to suck my dick. I regret it immediately when Cameron wiggles his brows suggestively and takes a step forward. I look at Avery as a silent plea but she only gives me a thumbs up and a grin. Why did I think I could count on her? She's just as bad as he is.

Lexie formally greets the rest of my friends who welcome her with open arms like I knew they would. In no time at all, everyone settles on the couches around my office as they talk in different groups. I take that time to speak into my headpiece and tell Sebastian to get one of the waiters to bring us drinks.

"What's everyone having tonight?" I ask. They collectively decide beer is fine and I update Seb. I also ask him for a virgin pina colada for Delilah since she can't have alcohol.

"So, what are you studying?" Emily asks Lexie.

"I just graduated high school but when I start college in the fall semester, I'll be doing my degree in child psychology."

"My girl!" Avery high-fives her. "I studied psychology too so if you ever need anything, let me know."

"Wow, that's amazing. Thank you."

"You're going to love it. Be prepared for a lot of mind-fuckery, though. You learn about some pretty heavy things."

"I can handle it." Lexie says easily. She meets my eyes and I smile at her reassuringly. She finally confided in me that the reason she chose child psychology was because of what her and my younger sisters endured during Aria's abuse. They were affected by it too and although she reassured me that I had nothing to feel guilty about, I still felt like an asshole for not looking after my girls.

"The brat is really mature for her age." Asher adds and Lexie curls her lip up in annoyance. "Sometimes she acts like she's fifty instead of fifteen."

"Im eighteen, asshole."

"Is that any way to talk to your big brother?"

"How did we get stuck with you?" She groans when Asher leans over the back of the couch so he can hug her tightly.

"I love you too, kid."

"Yeah, yeah." Her mouth quirks reluctantly.

"You two excited for the wedding?" I ask Jax and Em. They both immediately grin at the mention of it.

"I mean, we've already been married for just a little over four months now but yeah. I can't wait to see my girl walking down the aisle to me." Jaxon bends his head to kiss Emily affectionately. With lots of tongue. Lexie looks so bewildered that I burst out laughing.

"You'll get used to it." Avery pats her head. "My man and I aren't any better."

"On the contrary, we can do way better than that." His wicked grin is the only warning we get and then he's all but sucking her face and making good on his promise of putting on a better show.

"Alright, keep it PG." I tell my lovesick friends.

Lexie scoffs. "You act like I don't know what kissing is."

"You shouldn't." I retaliate.

That has her throwing her head back in laughter. "If only you knew, big bro."

"Do not elaborate." I warn her. I'm not an idiot. I've seen condom boxes in her room before so I know she's no stranger to all of that as much as I wish she would be. I'm pretty sure that the first time I found condoms in her room, I freaked out more than my parents. They were just happy their daughter was being safe. I had gone back to my own room to plot the death of the fucker that put his hands on my little sister.

"What the fuck?" Asher narrows his eyes at her. That has me smirking. If I don't say anything, he usually does. "Do I have to have a little chat with one of your friends, Alexandra?"

"Jesus. He used your full name." I cough behind my fist.

"Oh my God, you two are so annoying." She groans.

"Leave her alone." Emily chides. "Poor girl."

"About that wedding," Avery cuts in cheerily. "So, everything is ready?"

"Yeah." Emily nods. "It'll be a pretty simple event since we're holding it in our backyard but it's meant to be celebrated with family only, anyways." She ushers at Lexie. "You should come!"

"Really? That's so sweet of you. When is it?"

"Next Friday."

"Oh." She bites her lip. "Friday is usually girls night for me and my sisters so I'll look into it."

"Bring them too. Right, babe?" She looks at Jaxon who nods.

"Yeah, we'd love to meet you all. Any family of Nate's is family to us." He assures her.

"Where did you find these people?" Lexie asks me and we all have to laugh at that.

"Yeah." I shrug and throw an arm around Delilah, who's been observing us all quietly like she usually does. "I got pretty lucky."

I don't miss the curious smile that Lexie gives me as her eyes flick between us. I wink at her, silently letting her know I'll explain later.

"I can't believe he waited this long to even introduce us." Cameron shakes his head.

"Really, man? Still hung up on that?"

"I'll never forgive you for it." He sniffs then turns his attention back to my sister. "You should be grateful you look nothing like him."

"Oh, come on. This coming from the guy who calls me dreamy all the damn time. And she looks like me." I point out. Lexie has the same shade of dark brown hair as I do except her eyes look like a mix between green and hazel. A lot of features are definitely similar, though.

"Okay, fine. I'm lying. Your mom made some seriously good-looking babies." He winks. "So naturally, she'd adore me."

"Naturally." I parrot in a dry tone.

"What about you?" Lexie asks Wolfe. "I haven't heard you say anything all day. Is that part of your big and brooding facade?"

Wolfe blinks at her for a moment and I guess he's taken back at being addressed by her. He finally grunts in response and looks over at me, raising his brows.

"He doesn't talk. You'll catch on to his facial expressions, though." I explain.

"Cool." Lexie grins and Wolfe smirks a little at her choice of words.

There's a knock on the door and I lean around Del, adjusting her against my side.

"Come in." I call out.

A waiter steps inside with a cart of our drinks and Sebastian follows closely behind. "Need anything else, boss?"

"We're good, Seb. We'll probably head downstairs in a bit anyways. Want to chill out here?"

"I'm fine." His eyes track my arm that's flung around Delilah's shoulder and he smiles at her. His version of a smile, that is. It's nothing more than one side of his mouth turning the slightest bit upward. "Good to see you, lass."

"You too, Seb." She responds sweetly.

"You should know, bossman ordered a drink specifically for you since you can't have alcohol. He's a good one, aye?"

"Thanks, man." I say through a clenched smile. He bites the inside of his cheek, trying not to laugh.

"You didn't have to do that." Delilah looks over at me.

"Of course I did. Why should you miss out?"

"Aw, Nate." Avery coos. Then she elbows Cameron in the ribs who grunts from the unexpected hit and spills his drink over himself. He pouts at his now-wet T-shirt. "Take notes, Hermoso."

"Of what?" He scowls and mimics writing on a notepad. "Dear diary, Nate bought Delilah a free drink from his own club. How can I ever compare?"

Avery makes a face at him and Lexie chokes on her drink before she bursts out laughing. "Dude, you are so getting the couch tonight."

"I like her. She's perceptive." Avery nods in approval.

"And who might you be?"

Everyone looks at Sebastian, who asked the question. He's staring at Lexie with an expression I've never seen on him before. Whatever it is, it's intense.

"Who, m-me?" Lexie stammers.

He eyes flick to her heels and make their way back up—a little too slowly for my comfort. "Aye."

Why the fuck does his voice sound so rough all of a sudden?

"I'm Lexie." She blushes. Actually fucking blushes. What the hell is happening right now? "You must be Nate's right hand man that he's always talking about."

"The very same. I don't think I've seen you around here before—I would have remembered." His eyes do another once-over and my shoulders lock up with tension. Damn it, I knew her dress was too revealing. The sleeveless bodycon stops right above her knees and is showing way more much skin than I approve of but Lexie, in her words, did not give a fuck. She'd given me an entire speech about how I was once a stupid teenage boy that would seek out girls in far more revealing clothing and got to do whatever the hell I wanted and that holding her clothing choice against her was a result of my "barbaric misogyny inspired by the fuck-show justice system we grew up in." Either way, it shut me up because she was right and also because she could hold her own for days if she wanted. Lexie really was too damn grown for her age.

"It's my first time here. Guilty as charged." She laughs and it sounds a little nervous. She tucks her hair behind her ear and peers at him from under her lashes. "Maybe you could show me around."

"Sounds like a plan, lass." His lips tip up and he runs a hand through his buzzed red hair.

I think the hell not. I clear my throat pointedly and wait for Seb to look at me. "I'm—"

"Going to go downstairs with us." Delilah jumps in and my jaw unhinges with surprise. "We've all had our drinks and I think we're ready to dance, now."

"That's not what—"

"Nate." She says quietly and grabs my hand, interrupting me again. She lowers her voice even more until I'm the only one that can hear her. "Let's go downstairs. Will you dance with me?"

"Wait, really?" I have to ask. She's usually way too shy for any of that. I don't think I've ever even seen her dance in all the times she's visited Aria.

"Why not?" She shrugs and looks down at our hands when I link them together. "I figure a night out of dancing won't exactly be easy to come by when the baby gets here so why not do it now?"

"Right." I tilt my head. "And this has nothing to do with the fact that I'd be too busy to intervene in whatever's happening between Lexie and Seb?"

"That too." She admits. "Dance with me anyways?"

I chuckle under my breath. This girl. Always full of fucking surprises. Just when I think I have her figured out, she shows me another side of her that makes me fall even harder. "Of course, Angel."

"Hell, yeah!" Avery stands up and holds a hand out to Cameron. "Come one, bébé. Let's show 'em how it's done."

"There better be a lot of ass shaking." He takes her hand and stands up as well.

"Have you ever known me to not shake my ass when I'm on the dance floor?"

"Who's talking about you? I meant me and these killer buns." He smacks his own ass for emphasis and Avery rolls her eyes as she follows him out of the office.

"It's been a while since I've gone dancing at a club." Emily smiles fondly. "Not sure if my mom body is going to handle it like it used to."

"Your mom body is going to drive me crazy like it always does." Jaxon kisses her and pulls them both on their feet. "Come dance with me, baby."

They stalk off too and Asher raises his brows at Wolfe. "How about it big guy? Want to go and find out how irresistible I am?"

There's no mistaking the disgust on Wolfe's face and it makes me snicker. Regardless, he gets up and heads outside. Asher mumbles "asshole" and follows him, throwing a warning look my way. He's probably as thrilled about Seb's interest in my baby sister as I am.

"Come on." Delilah tugs at me hand and I let her lead me away. "Nice seeing you, Seb."

"You too, lass." Even as he says it, he's still watching Lexie.

"Hey." I call to him and grab his attention. I flick my eyes over to Lexie who's pleading me with her eyes to not ruin this for her. I sigh reluctantly. I might be overprotective but I'm not a dick and I do know when to step back here and there. "Look after my sister."

There's no mistaking the flash of surprise in his eyes and the slight blanching of his face. The guy was going to find out eventually. It's best he hears it from me and that too in a way that says I approve of whatever the fuck these two want from each other. I know Sebastian's a great guy. I brag about the fucker all the time. If there's anyone I can trust my sister with, it's him.

I'm still holding on to Delilah's hand as we take the stairs down. She glances over at me with a small smile on her face. "That was nice of you."

"Yeah, well, I kind of wanted to choke on my own tongue when I said it." I grumble.

She laughs softly and links her arm around the crook of my elbow as we walk out on the dance floor. "Then that makes it even nicer."

Pleasantly surprised by how openly she's touching me, I can't help but take hold of her waist and tug her to me. She gasps lightly and looks up at me in question.

"I missed you." I tell her and gently begin swaying our bodies. There's some kind of techno music playing and we probably look ridiculous slow-dancing but I don't care. Especially not when Delilah wraps her arms around my neck and starts swaying with me.

"You see me almost everyday. How can you miss me when I'm your neighbour?"

"I don't know. I miss you right now and you're in front of me."

"Silly guy." She whispers, a blush overtaking her face.

"You barely said a word up there." I point out. She looks away thoughtfully and shrugs.

"That's kind of how it always is with me. Unless I'm spoken to, I don't really say much."

"But why? Why don't you want to be seen?"

"It's not that I don't want to be seen. It's more like I'm used to not being seen so I don't really mind it or even notice it."

"I see you." I tell her, tucking her hair behind her ears. "All I see is you."

She visibly inhales when she meets my eyes again. "You've said that to me before. That day we all found out you're a stripper."

"You looked pretty shaken up by everything and tried to hide yourself even more than usual. I wanted you to know even then that you could never do that with me."

"How come?" She asks. She chews on her lip nervously and I'm momentarily distracted. "What makes you see me the way you do?"

"What stops you from seeing yourself?" I counter.

She blinks at the unexpected turn in conversation and looks away again. "Touché."

She rests her cheek on my chest and I close my eyes as we sway in comfortable silence for a couple of minutes. Man, I love being with her. Having her in my arms like this, talking about whatever we want or nothing at all, it feels so goddamn right.

"Any more interesting nights lately?" I tease because I can't help myself. I have to laugh at her answering groan.

"That was mortifying."

"That was hot." I correct. And it really was. I don't think I've ever been so turned on in my life as I was that night.

I can feel her shoulders shake with laughter. "You would think so."

"I'm glad you can finally laugh about it."

"I'm as shocked as you are. Then again, you've always been good at making me feel comfortable."

I think I almost do a back-flip at her confession.

"I wanted to ask you something." I say, remembering what I had thought of this morning.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to go to Jaxon and Emily's wedding with me? As my date?"

She stops swaying suddenly and I look back down to find her watching me, her expression torn. "As your date? I don't know, Nate. That just...that just might start something we shouldn't be doing and we've had enough of those lately."

"Come on." I urge. "We can still go as friends. You'd just be my friend that I'll have on my arm the whole night. It's not like we're crossing any boundaries."

The words I'm saying are true but we both know there's a lie in there somewhere. We're not exactly strangers to crossing boundaries with each other and something as simple as her being my date will be yet another thing that'll confuse us even more. I clearly don't give a shit, though.

"Everyone might get the wrong impression." She tries.

"It can't be any different from what they think of us now. Cameron looks ready to shit rainbows if we so much as smile at each other."

Her lips twitch at that. "That's a good point."

"I've got lots of good points." I waggle my brows at the innuendo.

"Nate." She chastises but a giggle escapes her. She bites her lip again and I can't help but brushing my thumb over them this time. Just as quickly I pull away because I don't want her to say no to me about that date.

"Well...okay. I would like that." She admits with a sheepish smile.

"I'd like that too." I grin at her. It's a little embarrassing how fucking giddy I feel right now. I can add this to the generous list of wins I've been tallying up all day.

"Oh, yeah. It totally twinkles." She narrows her eyes at my smile, pretending to lean in so she can get a better look.

"Shut up." Thought I meant to close my mouth, her comment makes me laugh harder.

"Or what?" She challenges playfully.

I don't miss a beat. "Or I'll make you."

That sobers her right up. Even in the darkly lit room, I can make out the redness of her cheeks right before she ducks her head. I chuckle and tell her I'm going to check on the performers just as the song ends, deciding to show her a little mercy since she agreed to being my date. She agrees way too fast and makes her way over to where Avery and Emily are chatting by the stairs. I take off too and stop by the bar first to grab a drink when Asher walks up to me.

"How's it going with you and Blondie?" He asks, ushering the bartender to give him what I'm having.

"Pretty great." I smile and take a swig of the bottle.

"She looks different." He comments thoughtfully. "I don't know if it's that 'pregnancy glow' chicks talk about or maybe it's you but she's more...I don't know...out there. She smiles more and laughs a little louder. She doesn't—"

"Hide?" I supply. Asher nods and my stomach flips over the at realization that I might be part of that. "Yeah, I've noticed it too."

"It's a good look. I like her." He claps me on the back and I tip my chin in acknowledgment. "Pretty cool how she stood up for Lexie when you were about to caveman on Seb. Pretty cool but also kind of frustrating. I was going to lay it on him too."

"I figured." I smirk, glancing up at the door to my office. It's still ajar and they haven't left yet. "What do you think is taking so long?"

"Who knows? Lexie isn't a kid anymore." He sighs and I know he feels the same bittersweet emotions that I am. "How's Ria doing, by the way?"

"She hasn't FaceTimed you?"

"No. She's being a brat." He rolls her eyes.

I bark out a laugh at that. "You must have pissed her off or something."

"I don't doubt it." He runs a hand through his hair. "I'll probably have to apologize for something I didn't do."

"Good luck with that." I clap his back, imagining a feisty Aria giving him a verbal ass-kicking. Asher winces and I know he's thinking the same thing. His eyes flick over my shoulder briefly and he smirks at me. "You better go save your girl."

I look over my shoulder and throw my head back in laughter when I see Del leaning back as far as she can while Cameron animatedly talks in her face. Who knows what he's bugging her about this time? I take the final swig of my beer and leave the bottle on the counter, heading towards them. Delilah notices me first and visibly sighs in relief, offering a smile. I wink back and do exactly what Asher said—I go and save my girl.

_______________________

A/N

All. These. Feels.

So much took place in this chapter! An upcoming Jamily wedding, some suspicions about Wolfe, meeting Lexie (who ships her with my brooding Scottish hottie??), and some hella sweet Natilah moments! The next chapter is going to give you all even more feels and I am so ready for it!

Please VOTE, comment and share if you liked this chapter!

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 103K 40
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
42M 1.2M 164
» I didn't know you had a sister, Potter. «
5.9K 255 17
THIS STORY IS ON HIATUS !!MATURE THEMES!! High school was hard. My best friend was suffering and so was I. In a different way. Taking care of my sibl...
569K 11.5K 11
Rita seeks writing help. Ethan just happens to be top of the class. See where the night takes them. - This is a short story, 10 chapters only.