A Beast Sees No Beauty

By LolliFenn

Juliet had everything a sweet young Southern lady could want. She had a loving father, seven outstanding olde... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Thirteen

1.1K 64 1
By LolliFenn

Juliet's head fell onto Vincent's shoulder for the third time, yet he didn't have it in him to sit her back up properly again. Lord knows she must have been tired to sleep in a carriage. The train was a rough ride as it was, but the carriage wheels on cobblestone streets tossed them around like ragdolls. Even still, she slept.

It was only two hours from the train station to his friend's - no, more like brother's - house. He expected her to be wide awake and starting at the city scenery, instead, she was fast asleep against his person. For a woman as curious as Juliet, he was surprised she slept so well in a new environment.

Her head shifted again, burrowing further into the juncture between his neck and shoulder. Her breath fanned across the exposed skin and gave him goosebumps, much to his displeasure. He wanted to clear his throat to wake her, but the soft exhale of her breath stopped all rational thought.

Never once has he been in such a compromising situation with a female (or male for that matter). He had every right to push her away from him that very instant, to wake her up and let her be embarrassed by her unconscious behavior. He could do any number of things to cause more damage to her reputation rather than his own.

But then again, he had kissed her in his delirious fevered state and then proceeded to act as if nothing happened - like he hadn't remembered. It was better for both of them that way. He had fully convinced himself of that, despite what LuLu says.

The carriage rolled to a stop in the middle of a block, with buildings towering much higher than the ones on the city of Mabelle. Vincent barely let out a breath of relief for the end of his travels when the door to the carriage was swung open by none other than his closest friend and confidante - Jeremiah Catherwood.

Jeremiah was a tall and gangly man, with the most stubborn red curls and vibrant green eyes anyone had ever seen. If that wasn't enough to set him apart from the crowd, then his pale skin and abundant freckles did the job.

He smiled his award-winning grin, casting his gaze over the sleeping woman, but not letting in dim for an instant. "You didn't tell me you were being a friend - or should I assume more than friends? Married? Engaged? Betrothed-"

"How about none of the above. I'll explain later, but I did send a letter informing you of the change of plans." Vincent maneuvered Juliet to sit back up in her seat, focusing more on getting their bags out of the carriage first.

"Well, the misses will be happy to have another female presence around!" Vincent stopped his work in the middle of handing Jeremiah a bag.

"The misses? Well, this is news to me! What female was so unlucky to get caught with the likes of you?"

"Vincent McCoy, you most certainly aren't a catch yourself!" Behind him stood Serena Baker, one of the few women he had come to trust and create a friendship with. She gave him a dazzling smile before lifting her left hand and showing him the ring. "You missed the wedding by mere months. We would have invited you, but you made it very clear that you want to make a quick trip down South and that you would be back-"

"Plans changed." Serena's smile dropped some but was quickly replaced once more. Without hesitating for even a second she turned back into the wonderful hostess she had always been.

"Oh... Well then, why don't you come on in and I'll fix us all something to eat-"

"McCoy?" Juliet peeked her head around the door to the carriage, confused at the red-headed man who was silently collecting their baggage. "There you are! For a second there I thought you abandoned me."

She visibly sighed as she began to step out, quickly assisted by Jeremiah. "Thank you, I'm not used to being treated like a lady when I'm around that oaf-"

"Don't call me an oaf!" Vincent immediately forgot about his surroundings, focused entirely on the beauty that stood before him. Her hair was disheveled, and her clothes were in the same condition. Her eyes remained not entirely focused, yet her mouth remained in the crooked line of a smirk.

"The truth hurts, doesn't it? Now then, I believe some introductions are in order?" Juliet turned to Jeremiah first, who was awestruck at how quickly she shut down Vincent McCoy. "I'm Juliet Chambers, may I know what to call you?"

"Jeremiah Catherwood and this is my wife-"

"I'm Serena Baker Catherwood, are you two together?" Juliet and Vincent blinked several times before one of them mustered an answer. Juliet was too embarrassed by the notion and disturbed at the mere idea that people have assumed their relationship throughout the journey.

"She's an acquaintance - nothing more," Serena gave him a sharp look, one that meant she would speak to him again once they were alone. Vincent was familiar with it but did not comment or show any outward signs that he would oblige her. "I figured I'd culture her by bringing her up here. I apologize if my letter did not make it up here-"

"I just read the post, the letter did get here, but not in enough time for me to do much. Surely you two can share the same living space without killing each other?" Serena turned away, walking back towards the open door to their home. "We have a space open for renters, but all the students went back home for the summer, so it's open."

Juliet followed right behind, talking about what it was like living with other people - scholars in particular. The two females hit it off instantly as they made their way inside the home, leaving the two men to finish unloading the luggage. Jeremiah grinned at Vincent but didn't say a word to the peeved individual.

~~

Night fell faster than either Juliet or Vincent expected, much to the relief of Jeremiah and Serena. While Juliet was a welcome surprise, their constant disputes were not.

"I think I need to lay down and nurse my poor head," Serena leaned against her husband, breathing in his scent as she relaxed for the first time in hours. "Especially before they realize-"

"I will not under any circumstances share this space in such a demeaning and-and improper way!" The walls seemed to shake under the loud intensity of Juliet's voice. Both of the Catherwoods jumped back in shock, terrified that such a small person could project that much.

"Then sleep on the floor and freeze for all I care! What do you expect me to do? Build another room for you? It isn't my fault you decided to come! You made your bed, now like in it!" Juliet's booming voice was certainly shocking, but Vincent's thundering tone was nothing unusual. Even up North he had his tantrums and couldn't keep his temper under control when in an argument. He was kicked out of class during several debates because of this.

"I'll go and-"

"Serena, they are grown people, they can handle the situation themselves. You go on to bed and I'll stay here until they quiet down. Now, off with you!" Jeremiah shooed her away, giving her his signature smile to cover up his rudeness.

Serena smiled in response, shaking her head as she stood from her seat and made her way around him. "I'll see you in the morning then. Don't stay up too late worrying."

She kissed his temple before entering through the wooden door to their room, closing it behind her. Jeremiah didn't even try to cover his sigh of contentment before turning his attention to the stairs.

Upstairs was far less calm and easy-going.

They had only one spare bedroom with only one bed. When Serena asked if it was alright for the two to share a space, this was not what Juliet imagined.

"Why can't I sleep on the bed? Isn't it the gentlemanly thing to do?" Juliet was exasperated. She just wanted to curl up in a semi-decent space without being in a moving vehicle.

"This room was prepared for me, and this is a trip meant for only me. You can either curl up on the foot of the bed or sleep elsewhere, I don't care which." Vincent began to unbutton his vest and loosen his collar, much to the annoyance of Juliet.

"And just what do you think you're doing? You can't just change in front of me! My luggage is in here anyway and I need to change myself!" Vincent stared her down as he continued to pull off his shirt, praying she would finally get embarrassed and leave. Instead, she stared him down and challenged him further. "I've already seen you half-naked before."

It was an odd remark, but true nonetheless. Vincent could clearly remember that she had indeed seen him without a shirt on a handful of times already, and he had no intention of showing her anymore of himself. Besides, he was tired and just wanted one good night's sleep before dealing with that infuriating woman a day more.

"How about we turn out backs to one another as we change then? Sound fair?" Her pink lips parted as if to speak, then closed before the words could spill out. She was tired. It would be more decent to change one at a time but she didn't feel up to waiting outside the room for him to finish changing before going to bed.

"I suppose as long as you promise not to look." Vincent almost remarked, but the seriousness on her face was enough to warn him otherwise. He could respect her wish in this case, so he nodded and turned his back to her.

He could hear her shuffling behind him, he could hear her pulling out a nightgown and beginning to change out of her dress. He casually went about his own business, finishing long before her. He studied the wall in front of him, the dark wood, illuminated by the candlelight, the rustic painting of the French countryside, the mirror showing him the perfect image of Juliet's bareback before she pulled the gown over her head.

"You can turn back around now."

The image of her back remained burned into his memory even as she stole the covers and one of the pillows from off the bed before making her way past his frozen person to make herself comfortable on the carpet in front of the dresser. He tried not to stare at her, but his eyes still found her huddled form on the ground in front of the dresser.

"Good night, McCoy." He gulped in the air he needed before dragging himself into the sheets of the bed. He couldn't help the shiver he felt when he imagined Juliet curled against him, but he quickly flushed away all thoughts of her before it became too much to bear.

She was already too much to bear.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 6.7K 17
A dark retelling of Beauty and the Beast Annabelle Novacek has never much liked how people view her. She was a beautiful rose to be admired and pr...
52 1 25
In a gender reversed retelling of Beauty and the Beast, we see our young beats Avery go on a battle with not only her emotions but also with the witc...
2.2K 84 27
William and Juliet were high school friends. It was the typical he loves her, she loves him, everybody knows but them. Something happens and Juliet j...
13.5K 430 13
>>REMAKE IS UP<< Juliet Potter wants to start her life over. After an, er, "incident", she decides that she has had enough of Beauxbatons Academy of...