Between Worlds (The Wall Seri...

By DESTINY5611

(Completed, Editing) There is something off about this wall. It isn't just the place Amy's mother met with an... More

Between Worlds, Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Afterword

Chapter 1

394 45 150
By DESTINY5611

Ten minutes to freedom.

My aching hand scribbled away the answers as I took deep, much needed breaths. If you panic, you forget.

I wrote. And wrote. Then I checked the time on my wristwatch.

Six minutes to freedom.

I analysed my paper. Only two questions left.

Writing. And writing. There was no time to check my answers.

"Five minutes remaining!" our invigilator announced.

Some people exhaled. Some even gasped. The tension settled in and silence ensued. No one had finished their paper yet.

One question to freedom.

Write. Write. Write.

The bell rang just as I put the period on my final sentence.

"Time's up!"

The invigilator began collecting the answer sheets. My roll number placed me on the last bench of the examroom, but I didn't dare copy.

Groans filled the air as the invigilator, a tall, strict female, cruelly snatched everyone's sheets. Not a second overtime.

As she reached the last bench, I gave her my paper and shut my pen's cap.

Freedom.

Freedom.

I let out a wonderful, hearty whistle, and the whole room erupted in cheers and shouts. The invigilator glared at me, but who cared? I wasn't going to see her again, anyway.

People hooted and high-fived each other, the difficult paper forgotten in the rush of excitement. No more exams. No more projects. No more studying. No more assignments. Only fun.

I grabbed my pouch and question paper from my table and rushed out of the crowded examroom, shoving people aside.

Free. Finally free.

I burst into the open corridor and threw my hands up in the air as my friend Anna rushed towards me, grinning and showing off her perfect white teeth, her curly black hair flying behind her.

"Freedom!" I yelled.

"Freedom!" she cheered.

People were rushing out of their examrooms, talking loudly amongst themselves and bustling all around us. A few teachers were trying to disperse the crowd, but no one heeded them.

The air was so full of excitement that it overwhelmed me. I laughed cheerfully, engulfing my dear friend Anna in a hug. I dropped my question paper in the process, and it immediately got stamped by the horde of excited students.

We were going to have so much fun.

When she let go, she instantly ambushed me with questions.

"Amy! What did you write for the last question?" Anna yelled over the crowd, shoving her question paper in my face. "They asked for any two differences, so I wrote-"

I leaned over, brought my lips to her ear and yelled, "No one cares, Anna!"

She lurched back, annoyed by my yelling but happy nonetheless. "Whatever! I'm only forgiving you because it's our last exam-"

I leaned towards her ear once more. "No one cares, Anna!"

She was about to slap my face but I turned around and ran, overflowing with joy. I'm going to party, sleep, listen to music, have sleepovers, annoy my friends, fool around and do everything I was waiting to do.

I rushed towards the stairs, Anna trying to chase me like a lunatic but constantly getting shoved around by people. I exited the corridor, ran down the stairs and reached outside. There's no way she's going to catch me.

My mother was waiting for me at the gate of our campus with the other parents.

"Mom!" I yelled, ignoring all the stares people giving me.

"Amy!" her eyes instantly lit up on seeing me. She smiled her beautiful, warm smile and stretched her arms out towards me.

I ran over to her and hugged her, super tight. She laughed and rubbed my hair, planting a kiss on my forehead.

"How was the exam, dear? Did you do well? And where's your question paper?"

I let go of her. "It was alright, but it doesn't matter anymore! Yay!"

She laughed again. "Now, I can't wait for you to study hard and get that Law degree!"

I groaned. "Can we not talk about more studying?"

She grinned. "Okay, okay. But it's still your dream, isn't it?"

"It is, but that can wait. Celebration comes first!" I cheered.

"Alright, then. We'll go to the ice cream parlour tomorrow!"

"And drink lots of coffee!"

"And watch movies together!"

"And spending the night watching conspiracy theories!"

"What-"

I coughed. "Where's dad?"

She shifted, somewhat uncomfortably. "We'll be going shopping soon."

I raised an eyebrow. "Is everything alright?"

She gave me a small, very parent-like smile. "Of course. We're going because we know you need like, an hour-long nap."

I didn't push her any further. "Alright. Yay!" I cheered, snuggling my face into her shoulder.

She drove us back home. We talked about celebrating because we both knew I'd worked day in and day out, determined to achieve one of the highest scores in my batch. Sleepless nights, six cups of coffee a day, and no social media-it hadn't been easy for seventeen-year-old me. I'd made every possible effort to reach my goal. Being an only child, my parents had given me their undivided attention and relentless support.

Ah, finally, no more classes, no more homework, no more projects. Things were going to be great.

I instantly ran up the stairs and barged into my room littered with dirty clothes on the floor, textbooks on the study table and juice boxes everywhere. Barely managing not to stumble on all the objects on the floor, I changed out of my cursed school uniform that I swore I'd never wear again. I threw myself onto my bed, grabbed my blankets and pulled them over me. As my eyes started closing, the last thing I saw before falling asleep was my parents' portrait hanging on the front wall.

*******

I squirmed in my bed, awoken by a sudden screeching and shrill noises coming from somewhere. Lazily turning my head to the right, I grabbed my wrist watch from the bedside table and checked the time. Three in the afternoon.

What's that noise, dammit, I thought as I reluctantly pushed my blankets off of me and got up, still drowsy. My plans on a forever-long nap were not to be ruined.

I yawned and stretched. Rubbing my eyes, feeling groggy, I put my slippers on. I'll just check who's making those high-pitched, stupid, screeching noises, yell at said person to shut up, and go back to sleep. I changed from my pajamas, put my phone in my pocket and got out of my room. Still half-asleep, I walked slowly down the stairs.

The sounds were getting louder. I entered the drawing room and walked over to the windows. Pushing the cream-coloured curtains, I peeked outside.

I squinted my eyes. From the limited view my window offered, I noticed my neighbours standing in a huddled group outside one of the houses.

I didn't recognise most of them, because I didn't know my neighbours much. My parents were always telling me to get to know them more in my free time, hangout with their kids, etc. but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Only four were familiar to me, and I spotted two: Mr Lee with his arms folded and Mrs Farell with her hands on her hips. I couldn't find Mr Farell and Mrs Janet.

I ran a hand through my long, brown hair to make it look presentable and took a deep breath. Placing my hand on the cold, silver handle, I opened the door and stepped outside.

The noise intensified to a blare. It's probably the alleyway, I thought, next to the sweets shop, a block down the street.

On the other side of the street, my neighbours were still talking amongst themselves. After a moment, Mr Lee and another man I didn't recognise jogged across the street and joined me.

"Hello, Amy." Mr Lee had a deep, soothing voice. He possessed big, brown eyes and brown hair, just like me, though I was much taller than him. His face was lined with wrinkles, and he seemed tired, not like his usual excited self. Nevertheless, he smiled.

"Hey. How are you doing, Mr Lee?"

He ran his hand through his hair. "I'm alright."

The noise was, by now, becoming a nuisance. I shook my head. "Where on earth are those screeches coming from?"

"God, I don't know. It's getting annoying."

"I think it's the alleyway, right?" I asked, looking around, placing my hand over my eyes in the broad daylight. The tall, luxurious, brightly painted houses towered the street. "Burnmoore street. Most likely next to the sweets shop."

"Probably," he muttered. He seemed distracted, maybe lost in his own thoughts.

I put my hand down. "Will you come with me to find out?"

"Yes, of course. Let's go," he replied, not the slightest hesitation despite the exhausted look on his Asian features. My mom had said that he was a war soldier in his time. The scar that stretched from his nose to his chin was a souvenir he had of the last time he had ever raised a rifle. He retired after the end of war, and settled down here in London.

He turned to the other tall man who was standing silently beside him. "I'll go with her if you don't mind." He simply nodded in response, his expression unwavering, and then went back to the huddled group.

Mr Lee and I quickly walked down the street lined with houses, took a left and entered the alley of Burnmoore Street.

I stopped short.

My mother was on her knees, clutching her bent head, back faced to me. The noise was coming from the end of the alley, the wall in front of her. Mr Farell stood next to Mrs Janet, who was bent down next to her, carefully observing her face.

"What-"

Her face.

I stopped myself, my mouth slowly opening in horror.

It was covered in blood.

I gasped. I ran towards her, panic bubbling inside me. I bent down on my knees on the cold bricks as Mrs Janet shifted aside. I clutched my mother's shoulders, forcing her to look up.

"Oh God," I whispered, trying to steady my breathing. She looked really terrible. There was a dark, ugly bruise on the head, blood flowing down the side of her face from the black wound. It dripped from her nose too, forming a puddle on the ground. Her eyes were closed and badly swollen.

"Mom!" I screamed.

I clutched my chest, taking in loud, deep breaths.

"Mom." My voice cracked. I couldn't even comprehend what was going on. My throat felt like I'd lost the ability to speak.

"Oh my God," Mr Lee whispered, also bent down next to me.

"Mom." I wanted to touch her face, but it was covered in so much blood...

Dear God.

I burst into tears. I wrapped my hands around her shoulders, holding onto her.

"What happened to you..." I cried. I buried my face into her shoulder, bawling my eyes out. I couldn't see or hear anything. All I smelled was blood.

My heart ached, thudding faster against my chest, making me feel worse and worse. I couldn't breathe.

I coughed and cried, miserably trying to control my shaky breathing.

"Amy, shh!" Mrs Janet's voice. "Hey." I felt an arm around my shoulders. "Everything will be okay. Take deep breaths."

I sniffled. All I could see was my mother, the image of her blood smeared face, her swollen eyes, now burned deep into the depths of my mind. It was something I wasn't going to forget for a long time.

I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. "Amy."

Mr Lee. I slowly let go of my mother, still having my hands on her shoulders.

I wiped my nose on my sleeve. Don't cry. She'll be alright. She'll be-

One glance at my mother's face and I burst into tears once more.

"Amy," he called again. "Hey. Look at me."

I turned my head gently. His sad eyes searched my face gently.

"What happened to her..." I whispered, the tears now dripping down from my chin. I couldn't even see anything. Everything was a blur. Everything.

"I don't know," he whispered. "But we'll find out, okay? Just hang on. Everything will be okay."

He lifted his head up to look at Mr Farell. "Call the ambulance. We don't have much time."

He nodded and pulled his phone out of his pocket as I looked at him miserably. He shifted over to the side to call.

Mr Lee turned to Mrs Janet. "Do you have Joseph's number?"

She nodded. "I do."

"Call him and let him know about his wife. He should know what happened, too."

I could actually feel my mother's blood seeping into my own clothes now, and I shut my eyes tightly, turning my head away. Don't. Don't look at her. Just don't.

But a sudden movement; she gripped my hand tightly, her bloodied hand enclosing mine. I whipped my head to look at her once more.

"M-mom?"

She stayed absolutely still. But her mouth opened slowly.

"F-f-" was the first thing she said.

My heart hammered against my chest. Yes! She was saying something! Maybe...maybe she'll be okay after all...

"F-f-f-"

I placed my hand on her shoulder, and the warmth of it finally forced her to say something.

"Fragments!" she gasped. Fragments?

"F-fragments?" I asked.

"Fragments. And numbers. For the password."

"Mom...what-"

Her eyes closed suddenly, she fell limp, and I caught her as she passed out. I took in a sharp breath.

"The nearest ambulance is coming," Mr Farell reassured me.

Mr Lee nodded. He looked at Mrs Janet.

She didn't say anything. Something passed between them. I couldn't understand what.

I turned my attention back to my mother as Mr Lee and Mrs Janet stood at the side, whispering something amongst themselves.

I took a shaky breath.

Stay calm. She'll be fine. The ambulance will be here any minute. She'll be okay.

I shut my eyes tight, never letting go of my mother. I thought of how we hugged and cheered earlier today, and my heart felt even heavier.

She'll be alright. Nothing's going to happen to her. She's hurt, but she'll be okay soon. And everything will be back to normal.

But I began feeling sick. I wanted to puke. Or scream. Or close my eyes and think that this is just a bad dream. Or just die. I just wanted to die.

The faint voice of a siren in the distance made me feel even worse. I shut my eyes tight. She'll be fine she'll be fine she'll be fine. I kept going over the same thing in my head, although it did nothing to calm me down. Mrs Janet patted me on the back, and I held my mother closer to me. I nodded in return, unsure of what was going to happen. How could so much have happened in such less time, I didn't know.

The siren of the ambulance got louder as it reached the alley. The entire time, I was holding on to my mother, whispering to myself that everything would be okay. A few medics came out of the white van and slowly pried her from my cold hands. I watched as they lifted my mother's motionless body up and laid her down on the stretcher. They told us there was space for only two more people in the van. Mrs Janet went in, and I followed. Mr Farell and Mr Lee decided to stay back, although they said to keep them updated with news of my mother at every moment. They told me everything would be fine, but I wasn't so sure. I was grateful to them and Mrs Janet. I climbed into the limited and crowded space of the van. It started up, and we pulled out of the alley.

******

A/N: Hey guys! What do all of you think of the first chapter? Leave a thought in the comments. Suggestions are welcome too! Vote if you liked this chapter, thanks :-) Also, a special thank you to SophieSlape for the magnificent cover!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

439K 21.2K 52
FREE for November! Now published as a Wattpad Book! Get your copy at all major bookstores, or find the e-book at your local library! As a Wattpad rea...
1.5K 230 51
"𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒂...𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒂" π’‰π’Šπ’” π’π’Šπ’‘π’” π’Žπ’π’—π’†π’… π’”π’†π’†π’Žπ’π’†π’”π’”π’π’š 𝒃𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉 π’Žπ’Šπ’π’†, π’‰π’Šπ’” 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒔 π’„π’–π’“π’π’Šπ’π’ˆ π’‘π’π’”π’”π’†π’”π’”π’Šπ’—π’†οΏ½...
13.1K 8.8K 65
"I love my new life, I love the way my power makes a bit of variety in ordinary days. I love the way it flows through my veins, blooms in my heart an...
1.3K 505 8
This is officially my fifth participation in a Wattpad contest.(@justwriteit) The life of an ex-FBI agent goes upside down, when a meet occurs at a m...