A lie in church. ON RADISH

By xona2o18

Highest rank[#1 in Billionaire] [#1 in youngadult] [#1 in N... More

BOOK ONE
1- complications.
2- the lie
3-Good liar
4- Hopeless
5- Ruined
6-Broken
7-Consequences
9-Bruises
10- Unexpected

8-Miserable

504K 21K 7.4K
By xona2o18

Listen to Ruin My Life by Zara Larsson.

I stayed in bed the next day, ignoring every person who knocked on the door to check on me. I wallowed in my misery as I hugged the pillow.

Belvina wasn't answering my calls, my sister had blocked my calls, and my parents had ignored all my calls too. Grey's line kept going to voice mail. I'd left, like, five voice mails, asking him to call me back and allow me to explain.

Morris brought lunch to my room and dinner too. He was so sweet to me, and I was starting to warm up to him. He told me he was from Venezuela, which explained the accent.

"Where's Tristan?" I asked when he came for the dishes.

"He is busy with work in his study."

"Tell him I need his help."

"You're sure I can't help you?"

"Yes, Morris."

Tristan showed up later. Black jogger pants showed off his slim and long legs. His sweatshirt hugged his taut torso, filling every space that I could make out his abs.

"What's the problem now?" He sounded tired, but who cared?

"I need to brush my teeth."

He looked at me like I was stupid. "Seriously, Chloe?"

"I can't move or stand."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Carry me on your back while I brush."

"Are you kidding me right now?" He gave me an incredulous stare.

"No."

"You'd better make this quick. I have work."

"Well, you put me in this condition, so deal with it," I hissed.

He came closer, and I hopped on his back with a sly smile tugging at my lips. I wrapped my arms around his neck as we walked to the bathroom. I felt like I was four again—when many people had enjoyed giving me piggyback rides. I looked down at his blond hair; it was a confusing color with different tones, like gold mixed with honey. He pulled me up on his back as we stood in front of the large mirror.

"Could you please put the toothpaste on the toothbrush?" Why did I say please?

He glared at me through the mirror before doing it. I wrapped my legs tightly around his waist to avoid falling as he let go of my legs to put the toothpaste on my toothbrush.

His shampoo filled my nostrils as I placed my head on his neck; he smelled like sandalwood mixed with his aftershave. I was tempted to sniff his neck. He smelled so good. He gave me the toothbrush and stared at me through the mirror. He cut some paper towel and gave it to me. I placed the paper towel on his shoulder and started brushing with one hand while the other stayed around his neck.

"Try not to get that on me," he said with disgust.

"This is so ridiculous," he said, and I rolled my eyes, ignoring his complaints.

He leaned closer to the sink for me to throw my mess away. I laughed at how stupid the whole process looked in the mirror while he appeared like he was contemplating flinging me around the room and walking away.

"I'm done."

"What now?"

"Drop me on the counter. I will rinse my mouth from there."

"Really, Chloe? Why didn't you sit there to brush?" he asked, getting pissed.

"I never thought about it." I shrugged coolly and rinsed my face and my mouth, but I was grinning in my head.

He didn't wait for me to dry my face; he carried me back to the room.

He stood in front of me with his hands tucked in his front pockets. I could tell he didn't like this one bit.

"Anything else?" he asked.

"Can you fill the bathtub for me? I like it warm," I said with a grin.

He nodded and left the room. I thought of how to get into the bathtub without his help, but it seemed impossible since I couldn't walk.

I wished I had Vina here to help me take a bath. I could allow him to put me in the tub with my clothes on, but I would have difficulties taking them off since I had been advised not to put my feet in water.

"Done," Tristan said, walking back into the room.

"Um ... so this is what we're gonna do. You're going to keep your eyes closed as you help me into the bathtub."

"How do you expect me to see where I'm going?"

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"Why don't I call my mom to come and help?" he suggested.

I was uncomfortable with the idea, but it wasn't like I had a choice.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Do you need anything else before I leave to call her?"

"Can you pass me my pajamas? It's in the black suitcase." I wasn't sure. I suspected Ciara had packed my things. The bitch couldn't wait to see me leave.

I needed to unpack these suitcases, but I couldn't stand on my feet yet. Do I even need to unpack if I'm leaving soon?

He walked to the black suitcase. I watched him unzip it, and my eyes grew wide when I saw my underwear and bras scattered at the top. I turned my face away and pretended to be looking for something on my nightstand.

Really, Ciara?

"It's not in the black suitcase." I heard him say. He sounded like he wasn't bothered.

"Oh, okay. Thank you for your services. I will take it from here," I said, not looking at him.

"What are you looking for?" he asked.

"My crystal earrings."

"You're wearing them."

I paused and nodded.

"Good night," I said with a firm smile.

He was still squatting in front of the suitcase, and it was still wide open. Did he touch them?

"I will check the other suitcases."

"No," I said quickly. Who knew what he might see?

"It's not my first time seeing a lady's underwear, Chloe."

I tried to act confused.

"This." He held up my small black bra and lace underwear.

The nerve of this guy.

"Oh, that. You can close the suitcase when you're done drooling over my undies." I tried to joke, but he acted like he hadn't heard anything.

"Can you please close the suitcase and leave?"

He did, but he walked to the other suitcases and searched for my pajamas. He threw them at me and left the room.

I grabbed one pillow. Covering my face, I screamed.

Tristan's mom arrived a few minutes later in her designer fur jacket and yellow dress. She smiled at me as she entered the room.

"I will take it from here, honey," she said to Tristan who stood at the doorway and waved him off.

"How are you, dear?"

"Miserable," I replied, not returning the smile lighting up her pretty face.

"I know, and I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish things hadn't turned out this way. Sorry about your family."

"Save me the apologies. It won't fix the damage your son has done."

"Love is not easy, dear," she said as she helped me take off my clothes.

"This isn't about love. I don't even know him!" I exclaimed, feeling the rush of anger.

She said nothing. I was sick of trying to explain myself to everyone.

She brought me a towel and pushed the wheelchair closer. She helped me get into the wheelchair and wheeled me to the bathroom.

She kept talking about Tristan as she helped me wash my body. I found myself crying as she washed my hair and hummed in a soft tone. Why was I missing my mom and wishing she were here for me instead? I was used to her lack of motherly affection, but I needed her to hold me and tell me she still loved me.

"Oh, dear, don't cry," Mrs. Sanchester whispered, stroking my hair and putting one arm around me in a hug.

I welcomed the hug. I desperately needed it.

"It's okay, dear. Things will get better, I promise," she whispered, and I tried to believe her.

Belvina called the next day during breakfast. Tristan had left early for work, so Morris was at my service. I answered the call with a mouthful of omelet.

"Hey, Vina."

"Sorry I missed your call. How is it going with Tristan? Is he going to tell the truth?"

"Not yet, but soon. And I'm in a wheelchair."

"A wheelchair? Did he break your legs? Ay Dios mio. Should I call your parents or report it to the cops?"

I chuckled, choking on my food.

"Was that a joke?" she inquired.

"No, I'm really in a wheelchair, but it's nothing serious."

"How come?"

I gave her every detail of what had happened, even the suitcase incident.

"Go, girl!" she said in a singsong voice. I imagined her throwing one hand in the air. "So, you're, like, crippled?"

"Temporarily, yes."

"Make him pay, Chlo. Give him hell!" She hyped me up. "Did he really touch your underwear?"

"Uh-huh," I replied, and she laughed.

"Did he see the padded bra too?" she asked with a dramatic gasp.

"I stopped using that last year."

"Oh, what about the Hello Kitty cotton underwear?"

"Can we please not talk about this?"

"Fine. Have you tried taking the pregnancy test again?"

"I threw it away. I need to get a new one, but my parents cut me off."

"I will buy three online and send them to you. Text me the address."

"You don't have to, Vee. I could just go to a clinic."

"We need to be sure you're not pregnant and how the hell the test came out positive."

"Okay, I will text you the address later. Thank you."

"Are you coming back to school?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Can you handle the stares and murmurs?"

"Yes, it's college. I don't think anyone will give a shit," I said dryly.

"Right, but I'm still worried since the news was all over the internet."

"I can handle it, Vee. So, tell me, what did I miss?" I asked eagerly.

"Can I call you back after my shift is over? Kelsey is already glaring at me," she sighed.

"Sure."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye," I said and hung up.

I groaned as I remembered my projects that were due on Wednesday. I spent the rest of the day on my projects. Thank God Ciara had packed them. How considerate of her.

I got tired and dozed off when I was done working on two essays for my English and Communication classes. It didn't take long before I heard a knock on my door.

I grumbled, trying to open my eyes. I succeeded and saw Adrian at the doorway to my room. He was leaning on the doorframe, smiling at me with his arms folded. What a nice view. Am I in heaven?

He wore black pants and a burgundy shirt that looked good on his fair skin. He had on large rings and gold chain necklace. His dark hair looked greasy.

I sat up with ease and brushed my hair back with my hand. "Are you lost?"

"No," he answered with a laugh. "I came to check on you."

"Oh, you've heard about the crippled girl."

"Yeah, does it hurt?" he asked with a smile.

"A little."

"Dinner is waiting. I will carry you."

"No, I want Tristan to do it."

"What are you afraid of? I won't drop you, I promise." He laughed.

"Nothing. This is Tristan's fault, so let him carry me."

"He is not well. You have no choice unless you want me to call Morris."

I'd told Morris this morning to stop bringing food to my room since the last one had dropped on the floor, and I'd had to watch him clean up the mess while I was unable to help.

"Fine," I sighed.

He walked to the bed with two long strides and scooped me up in his arms.

I regretted wearing a dress because his rough hand gripped my bare thighs, making it hard for me to concentrate on anything else. I decided to start a conversation to get my mind off the feel of him touching my bare skin.

"Do you live with Tristan?"

"No, but I hang out here a lot."

"Figured. Do you work for him?"

"We are business partners."

"So, you both own the company?"

"Yes."

I felt relief when we got off the stairs and headed for the dining room. Tristan was sitting at the dining table with all his focus on the tablet in front of him.

"You look well," I said as Adrian gently put me down on a seat.

"Actually, he is not sick," Adrian confessed. "He refused to do it, and since you don't like Morris carrying you, I decided to help."

I clenched my fists and my jaw, glaring at him.

"I'm tired, Chloe," Tristan grunted. I could tell from the dark circles beneath his eyes.

"I don't care. You're the reason I'm in this state, not him!"

"I will continue tomorrow. Let Adrian carry you." He dismissed me without looking at me.

"No," I disagreed.

He groaned and moved his tablet away, and then he looked at me. "Should I go on my knees and beg you?"

Was he really gonna do that? I mean, I wouldn't mind the gesture, but I was better than that.

I stared at Adrian. He was leaning back in his seat, watching with an amused grin as he took a bite from a strawberry.

"Okay, only tonight," I sighed, and Tristan breathed out in relief.

"You should have said yes. I really wanted to see him on his knees, begging." Adrian frowned, and Tristan glared at him.

"Do you guys drink wine at every dinner?" I asked as Morris filled our glasses.

"Yeah, it goes well with the food," Adrian said as he dished out the hot pasta.

I went for the Salisbury steak, sausage, and veggies.

Dinner was fun. Adrian made me laugh so much that I choked on my drink, but Tristan was too busy with work on his tablet.

Adrian carried me back to my room, but this time around, his hand didn't touch my bare skin.

"I need to brush my teeth," I said as he was about to put me down on the bed.

He took me to the bathroom, placing me on the counter next to the sink. He leaned on the counter, staring at me as I brushed.

"How did you feel when Tristan picked you?" he asked.

I spat out the paste in my mouth to answer him. "I thought he'd lost his mind or maybe it was wedding drama to amuse the congregation," I said and went back to brushing my teeth.

He laughed briefly and looked around the bathroom.

"I didn't see you at the wedding," I said.

"I was traveling. I returned that day and heard about everything."

"Did you know it was gonna happen?"

"Kinda."

I waited for him to say more, but he stayed quiet. He knew Tristan was going to ruin his own wedding?

I rinsed my mouth and leaned down to the tap to wash my face. Adrian moved closer, holding my hair back.

"Thanks," I said, washing my face.

"Nice birthmark."

"It's not a birthmark, but thanks." I didn't want to talk about it. "Please pass me the face towel."

I dried my face, and he took me back to my room. He slowly put me on the bed and stood in front of me.

"What's up with Tristan? Anything you wanna share?" I asked.

"It's not easy for him right now, but he'll tell you soon."

"Yeah, he has eleven days." I had the date marked on my phone's calendar and also an alarm set for that day.

"I'm sorry about your family," he said softly, taking the space next to me on the bed.

"Whatever," I mumbled, staring at my feet.

"I know there is so much you want to ask, but if you want to talk, I'm here." he said and nudged me playfully.

I smiled and stayed quiet.

"I still find it unbelievable that your family kicked you out. If they cared even a little bit, they would be next to you even if the whole lie were true. I can't imagine what you're going through. The people you needed the most in a situation like that abandoned you and ..." He paused. "Chloe?" he called, touching my chin and raising my face. "Shit, I didn't mean to make you cry," he sighed and brushed the tears away with one swipe of his thumb.

"It's not you," I whispered and looked down at my hands again. "It still hurts every time I think of it. How they shut the door on me like I was a stranger to them. It's the worst feeling ever—to feel unwanted, unloved, and be treated like you are not enough. My sister didn't even try to ..." I paused, choking on my tears.

The memories whipped like acid on a gash. I sobbed, putting my face down. I didn't care Adrian was next to me or how vulnerable I appeared.

"Can I hold you?" he asked, and I nodded.

His long arm wrapped around my shoulders, and I snuggled closer, resting my head on his solid chest as I cried.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I wish things hadn't turned out this way," he said.

I felt his warm lips on my forehead and the soft brush of his fingers on my arm. It took a while before the tears stopped.

"I should leave you to get ready for bed," he said, pulling away.

I fought the urge to drag him back. Everything about him was just comforting—from his voice to his smile and kind gestures.

"Yes." I nodded, wiping the leftover tears away.

"Please, don't cry again. Even if you make the cutest sounds, I still hate seeing tears on your face. You're enough, Chloe. Don't ever doubt that. Good night." He smiled and walked out of the room while I sat there, thinking about his last words.

"Good night, Adrian," I managed to let the words out after he'd left.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 40.1K 65
"What if your not so one nightstand turns out to be your new boss ?" ❤ STARTED : 9th DECEMBER 2020 FINISHED: 14th FEBRUARY...
10.1K 1.4K 44
When forced to take a wrecked plane in an endless sky of riddles, Mira chooses to skydive. Only to land on the turbulence that is Elias, a prosperous...
205K 8.7K 23
'Accidents happen'. That's what people say. Yet, some accidents take away from us more than others. Ethan had it all. Everything was lined up in fr...
189K 7.3K 43
He looked at her the way she needed to be looked at. The whole world could crumble but he wouldn't blink. She felt the passion but could she let him...