New Beginning

Por GeekOfManyForms

Unlike her twin sister, Elena, Elara Gilbert never quite fit in. Heck, how could she when this was at least t... Más

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter Forty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-One

593 25 5
Por GeekOfManyForms

***Sorry, this update took so long, but for some reason, this chapter really fought with me. It just didn't want to be written. So, that being said, it definitely isn't my best work and is a lot smaller then what ya' all are used to. But Im sure the next will flow easier and be a lot longer. We are getting closer and closer to Elijah's first appearance. Just a bit of Kit Kat drama and its Original time! I am so pumped to start on the Mikaelson drama. I do hope despite the crappiness of this chapter you guys will still review and let me know what you think. Enjoy the chapter!***

I stood in front of the small brick house that was currently owned by the strongest witch of nature that Mystic Falls had to offer. I knew that getting her to help - especially once I mentioned that I was working with Damon - would be a feat all its own, but I had to try. The annoying conditions put in place by Emily stated that the spell on the tomb had to be lifted by a Bennett witch; or else I would have already opened the damn thing myself. I hated asking for help from anyone - let alone their kind. There was always red tape and conditions involved whenever making a deal with a witch of nature. They never did anything for free. At least going into this I already had a plan. I had promised Em that I would take over for Damon as the protector of the Bennett line - and I had meant it. Despite my general dislike for witches of nature, I would always have a soft spot for the Bennetts. Emily and Bonnie were not the only women of their line that I had met and connected with. With the knowledge that I would be using my curse to help protect her progeny, I hoped that Sheila would be more amicable, because if I didn't have her help than it would have to be Bonnie - and sadly - I knew where her loyalties would lie. She was and always would be - firmly on Team Elena. I couldn't fault her really, Lena was her best friend just as Care was mine. Edging my way up her porch steps I took a deep breath, stilling my resolve before I landed a heavy knock on her front door. I straightened my hair and shirt, reverting to my usual nervous habits as I waited for someone to answer. I could hear shuffling on the other end of the door and prayed to whatever God was in a giving mood, that I had come on a good day - one where she was feeling particularly willing to hear a fellow sister of magic out before slamming the door in her face. The doorknob jiggled and I took a deep breath- tilting my head and trying for a half smile, hoping I didn't come off as creepy. The door opened slightly - held back by the chain lock, and the narrowed brown eyes of Sheila Bennett greeted me. Her caramel wrinkled skin barely visible behind the confines of the door as she looked me over swiftly.

"Elara Gilbert?" she simply stated, her brow raised in question.

Before I could utter a single syllable, a swift breeze swatted me in the face as the door snapped shut. My jaw dropped open in surprise. I hadn't been able to greet her let alone make my case. Righteous indignation filled me at her utter dismissal and I raised my hand to knock again. This time with much less decorum. As my knuckles touched the cold front door I held back - moving my hand away when I heard the rattle of the chain lock being undone; the other locks clicking open shortly after. I blinked rapidly in surprise and waited, lowering my head I traced the cursive writing of her welcome rug to calm myself. After a few minutes and some shuffling around on the other side, it finally swung open and Sheila stepped out onto the front porch slowly, eyes scanning her surroundings. She wrapped her frayed grey shawl around herself, brushing her curls from her face.

"I came alone. Figured it wouldn't be polite to bring guests that wouldn't be as welcome as I hoped I might be," I said, rubbing my arm nervously.

Sheila nodded, her tight brown curls barely moving as she did. "To be honest, I had expected a visit from you much sooner, Elara." She raised her hand and motioned for me to step inside. I smiled in thanks and followed her into the cozy little house. "Is that the name you wish to go by?" she asked as she led me into her bright kitchen.

I raised a brow in surprise and smirked. Of course, she knew all about me. I chose to ignore her question for the moment and took a look around her kitchen. The walls were a beautiful pale yellow that caught the natural light that filtered through the small window in the corner of the room. The daisy covered curtains fluttered in the breeze as I took a seat at the round wood table opposite the window. I smiled at the comfortable country feel. It was beautiful and welcoming. I also couldn't stop the small laugh that escaped when I noticed the vervain growing in the flower bed outside the window. Sheila noticed my amused laughter and sat down in front of me with a tray of tea and a bright devious grin. I took my small china cup in hand and shook my head at how very alike her and Emily really were.

"Elara is what I go by; although both Salvatores have trouble remembering that," I said with a sigh, returning to her previous question.

Sheila watched me closely, I felt like an ant under her magnifying glass. "Bonnie tells me you are as close to the brothers as your sister is. But that you seem to gravitate towards Damon," she said tightly.

Ahh, and there it is.

I sat down my cup gently and clasped my hands together, keeping my eyes firmly on hers. "Yes, Damon and I are friends, and you may have heard from Bonnie that we were once more than that, but that is all in the past. Now, I am simply trying to do what is best...for everyone," I said.

Sheila sighed deeply and clamped her lips together, making them appear nothing more than a thin line. "What is it that you plan to do?" she asked.

I tried to keep the look of relief from my face and very slowly released the breath I had been holding in. I lifted my bag from my hip and laid it in my lap, pulling out Emily's grimoire. Sheila released a gasp, her fingers twitching with - what I assumed - was a deep desire to rip her ancestral property from my hands. She looked at me in clear shock when I very gently pushed it towards her.

"First, I want to return this to you, as it belongs to your family and I know Em would want you to have it." I looked at Sheila, my eyes soft, and placed my hand on hers. "I know that you do not agree with the way I associate with vampires, especially Damon, but Emily was a very good friend of mine and I loved her as I love Bonnie." I squeezed her hand and took a deep shaky breath. Now came the hard part. "I will protect your family for as long as I can Sheila Bennett. Even if that task was not given to me. I have taken it upon myself and will never forget it," I said.

Sheila's glassy eyes watched as my hand began to glow brightly and I could see she was shocked to find a bright gold ribbon of magic surround my wrist and join with hers, connecting us and our magic for life. I would forever be connected to the Bennett line, no matter the distance or time. It was a bond that every witch knew was not one to enter into lightly, and I could see the clear shock still present on Sheila's wrinkled face. As the glow receded I let go of Sheila's wrist and sat back as she flexed her fingers, her forehead crinkled in thought. Turning to me she sat up straight, determination in the stiffness of her shoulders.

"If we do this then every vampire in that tomb must be burned," she firmly said.

I sat back, my mind whirring, and nodded slowly. "Every vampire but one," I said.

I do not break promises and so far Anna had kept her end of our bargain. Sheila watched me carefully and crossed her arms.

"One?" she questioned.

I sighed, running my fingers through my knotted hair, lifting it into a messy bun before rubbing my tired and sore neck in frustration. "I'm not sure if anyone has told you this yet, but as I have told most everyone, Katherine Pierce is not nor has she ever been, in that tomb," I grumbled.

As I had half expected Sheila gasped in shock and confusion. Obviously Bonnie had failed to mention one of the biggest revelations about the tomb to her grams. I nodded quickly and continued. "She is currently running around doing her own thing, healthy and with little care to what Damon Salvatore is doing. That is one of the reasons why I need to get him into that tomb, Sheila. He needs to be able to move on," I said.

Sheila sat back in her seat and nodded.

"If I can just help him to see that all this time she has been perfectly able to be with him, yet has chosen not to, then he can start to move on with his life," I said.

I leaned towards Sheila, my features serious. "We will need Damon on our side for what is to come, Sheila Bennett," I said.

Sheila watched me closely, her brown eyes clouded in thought. "I have sensed a change coming to Mystic Falls. Something dark and old," she whispered.

I took in a sharp breath and lowered my head. "I will do what I can to help when the time comes, if you'll but trust me," I said.

Sheila placed her hand on her knee and sighed. "Trust will have to come in time, Elara but I will help you open the tomb. If only to be free of the vampires that are imprisoned within," she said.

I sat back in my seat and swallowed deeply. It was as much as I could ask of her and more than I had originally hoped for. "What one vampire are you hoping to save; if not Katherine Pierce?" she asked, eyes narrowed in suspicion.

I glanced at my nails, raising my hand towards my face. "I made a deal with a vampire in town. She was searching for a way to save her mother who is imprisoned in the tomb. I told her if she backed off I would help her," I said.

Sheila's brown eyes blazed with fury. "That was not a deal you should have made. It wasn't your place! You are no Bennett nor a witch of nature!" she shouted, standing to her feet.

My magic surged within me at her blatant disrespect and my hands glowed brightly, the familiar static surge spreading up my arms toward my elbows. I stood, meeting her challenge head-on. The elderly witch shakily swayed before me - eyes darting between my glowing arms and back towards my face in quick succession. I lifted my hands flexing my fingers - my magical energy flaring outward, the kitchen light above us flickered as my power surged.

"Do not challenge me witch of nature! You will do well to remember your place! Your Mother may have gifted you with many wondrous talents, but do remember that even with all that power, you will never be a match for me. My kind was created to be no ones equal. I am your better, Sheila Bennett," I said, my voice echoing throughout the tiny kitchen.

Very slowly - as if she was still unsure of her own actions - Sheila lowered her head, bending forward, her hands shaking as she placed them on the table. I lowered my glowing hands, my eyes narrowed as I closed my palms - extinguishing the glow of my magic.

"Do sit Sheila. There's no need to bow," I snickered.

Sheila glared up at me, and then huffed out a laugh, plopping down in her seat. I sat down a moment after her, taking in a deep calming breath and crossed my legs, steady eyes never leaving the proud witch in front of me. Now that her little childish act of defiance was past us; I picked up my cup of tea, lifting it to my lips and taking a sip, savoring the hint of tart lemon.

"So you agree - aside from the one which you have promised to save - that the others must burn?" she asked.

I tapped my fingers against the table and nodded swiftly. "Of course. Every last one," I agreed.

Sheila held out her hand. "Ok then. Tonight we will open the tomb. I will contact Bonnie myself," she said.

Before I accepted her hand I leaned towards her, elbow on the table. "Do not attempt to betray me, Sheila. Try and remind yourself that despite my young appearance - I have lived a much longer life than you - and I have known my fair share of master manipulators. You will not be able to fool me. So let's not even try, yes?" I said with a bright smile, holding out my hand.

Sheila took my hand squeezing it tightly as she shook it in acceptance of my terms. "We have a deal, Elara Gilbert. Bonnie and I will be at the tomb tonight when the moon rises," she said.

I stood from my seat. "Damon and I will be there," I said, ignoring the grimace that spread across her face at the mention of Damon's name. I waved goodbye to the elder Bennett witch and hastily left. There was only so much judgy behavior I could handle. Even if some of it was slightly warranted.

**********************************************************************************

I spent the rest of the afternoon in my room preparing for the ritual. I had sent Damon a quick text - explaining that I had spoken to Sheila and secured her help. I wasn't at all surprised when he responded - revealing to me that Elena and Stefan were both using Bonnie to try and get her to change her mind. I had actually laughed loudly, laying back on the floor where I had been sitting - practicing my own spell work - at their nerve. I couldn't believe that they actually thought that they could go behind my back and get her to help them betray me.

Me!

A witch who has lived for a thousand years. To think they would believe that I wouldn't have secured her help in more than just words. The bond I had created between me and the Bennett line assured me that once she had given me her word she would carry through. Now the only thing I would have to watch out for would be trickery - and that I could do - any little side plan she may come up with I could conquer. After all, all I had really needed from her was her bloodline. Once the tomb was open I could use my own magic and would be able to accomplish anything I would need to. Once I had reassured Damon that all was well and that he would get in the tomb tonight - even with all his brothers annoying meddling, I went back to practicing. I needed to boost my stamina. I was tired of feeling exhausted and useless as soon as I was finished casting. If I continued on like that - I would end up dead before it was time. I laid out bunches of lavender and angelica, centering them around me in a perfect circle to help bring me calm and protection. Taking one bundle I lit the end, waving it in a semi-circle - allowing the smoke to waft around my room. The sweet smell of lavender filled my senses, clearing my mind. I closed my eyes and lifted my other hand, snapping my fingers and lighting the white candles I had strategically placed around my room. They had all been left outside during the last full moon so that they could soak up the energy it provided. I blotted out the bundle I was using to cleanse the room and laid it on the floor beside me. Taking in a few deep breaths I lifted my hands - focusing deep within myself on my magical core. I felt the surge flow through me. A triumphant smile broke out across my lips when I saw the beautiful familiar blue glow build from my fingertips spreading out towards my wrist. I pushed my magic forth, feeling the surge rise higher, crawling past my elbows. As I continued to push my magic the candles that surrounded my room rose from the floor. A relieved sigh broke from within me, but I was still unsatisfied when I felt the sweat forming on my brow after only a few short minutes of holding the spell. Sucking in air through my nose, I closed my eyes momentarily as I raised my hands higher - the static feel of my magic raising the hairs on the back of my neck. The creak of my four poster bed alerted me that I had finally achieved the next half of my spell. I opened my eyes with a gasp of exhaustion and smiled brightly when I saw my bed floating at least a foot off the ground. Glancing around the room I was proud to see all ten of the candles and my bed floating. I rolled my shoulders and closed my eyes again with a deep calming breath. I needed to focus and stay calm so that I could hold the spell for as long as I could. I stayed that way for what felt like hours, but finally - when I felt like I could no longer hold up my head - I opened my eyes, swaying slightly. My arms ached from the force of the pressure I was exerting. My forehead and neck were covered in a thick sheen of sweat but I couldn't care less - I glanced at the alarm clock by my bed and noticed that I had held on for a good half hour without fainting nor my power waining. I lowered my hands gently, allowing the floating items around my room to fall back to the ground with small thumps. With one final burst of effort - I snapped my fingers and extinguished the candles as I stood shakily - stumbling over to my bed and falling on top of it with a grumble of exhaustion.

*******************************************************************************

A loud banging woke me from my exhausted unintentional nap...or coma...it definitely felt more like I had fallen into a coma. My entire body ached. It felt like I had attempted to run a marathon. Even my fingers hurt. Why did my fingers hurt? I sat up slowly, working my way to the edge of my bed as another bang came from my door. I flung my knotted hair over my shoulder and moaned loudly as I stood, whimpering as my feet protested the use. I was so magically out of shape and this was my bodies way of reminding me I needed to take it easier when training. The banging continued, whoever it was growing more agitated the longer I took to answer. I glared at the door as I waddled my way towards it, stretching my arms toward the ceiling. My back popped in the most fantastic way and I instantly felt a bit better about life. I let out a put upon sigh and flung open my door, revealing a pair of cool blue eyes.

"Hello, Day. Is it already time?" I asked, suddenly aware that I had probably slept longer than I should have.

Damon pushed past me, his entire being radiating stress. "Where have you been? And why is there some kind of force field around your room?" he spat out quickly, pacing around the room in a small circle.

I closed my door, stepping away from him towards my vanity. I watched him pace uneasily. His dark hair was ruffled and his shoulders stiff as he stopped his pacing to plant his cold stare on me. I picked up my brush and pointed it at him, flicking my wrist irritably before I started to brush my hair.

"Listen here, Salvatore. I get your freaking out because something you have been waiting over a hundred years for is finally coming to pass, but that doesn't give you a right to barge into my room and start spitting your fire in my direction. Cool your flame, Damon!" I growled eyes narrowed.

I pointed towards the window where the sun was only now heading towards the horizon. "The Bennetts aren't even starting the ritual to open the tomb until the moon is high, Day," I said, stepping towards him and placing my hand on his arm.

Damon reached for my hand, taking it in his, and closed his eyes. "Im sorry, Elandra. I just...I've been waiting so long to see her again and after this..." he said, looking away from me.

I glanced down at his palm, tracing an unfamiliar pattern and shook my head. "No matter what happens just remember...you will see her again. Even if it's not tonight," I said with a grimace.

He let go of my hand and stepped away, running his fingers through his hair. I knew he was still fighting the truth.

"Let's go. I'm ready to get her out of there," he roughly said.

I grabbed a hair tie from my vanity and pulled up my hair, twisting it into a bun as I followed him out of my room. At the bottom of the stairs, Damon took me in his arms pulling me against his chest. I laid my cheek on his cool leather jacket, taking in his familiar scent, and let out a small silent sob. This was going to tear him apart. I couldn't stop the burst of white-hot hate I felt for Kat at this moment. I understood her to a point, but this...this was just cruel. I squealed in surprise as he sped us out of the house and towards the woods.

I let out an unladylike curse when I saw the bonfire and large crowd of drunken high school and college students. Stepping through a patch of trees and into the small clearing that laid just before the tomb, Damon growled lowly beside me and I took his arm, giving him a gentle warning squeeze.

"It's the damn Duke party, I forgot. I hope they all stay out of our way," I sighed.

Damon chuckled darkly, eyes sparkling in the firelight as we stepped past the bonfire. "Your hope, not mine," he said.

I shook my head, smacking him in the chest as hard as I could as we continued past the group of drinking partygoers. I could see the treeline that led to the church and was just about to let out a cheer to our good fortune when I heard someone calling my name behind us. I bit the inside of my cheek and winced, spinning around and stepping in front of the irritated vampire beside me. Matt and Caroline bolted towards us, their fingers intertwined, giant smiles on their faces. Inwardly I beamed. I couldn't wait to grill her about all the details! I knew they would become a couple.

"Ellie, hey!" Care said, pulling me into a hug. "I've been texting you all day, girl. I was wondering if you were gonna show up," she said, eyes quickly darting to Damon with unease.

I took her wrist - very grateful to see she still wore her bracelet - and pulled her away, keeping one eye firmly on Matty who was awkwardly standing near Damon.

"Listen Care, Elena, and I are dealing with some supernatural bullshit at the moment. So, I am gonna need you to stay right here, no wandering off. Please, I will call and explain everything later," I said, placing my hands on her shoulders.

Caroline moaned loudly, stomping her foot on the ground with a scowl. "You know ever since those stupid Salvatores came to town we have had nothing but scary supernatural crap going down. They need to go," she said.

I smiled brightly and pulled her into a hug. "Sweety, this is Mystic Falls. There would be supernatural shit no matter what. They are actually gonna be extremely useful in the end. Besides, they are family, Care," I said patting her on the cheek with a giggle.

Care stepped away and shook her head. "They aren't my family," she grumbled, before pointing at Damon with a harsh glare. "If one hair is out of place on her gorgeous ginger head I will personally stake your ass," she whispered.

I chuckled lightly, turning it into a cough when I saw the dark look in Damon's eyes as he watched Care pull Matt back towards the party. I stepped beside him and took his arm.

"Come on, Damon. I won't let my guard Barbie hurt you," I joked.

Damon jerked his arm away and rushed forward. "We are wasting time," he said.

I followed after him, my breath floating in front of me in puffs of white clouds. I rubbed my cold hands together and pushed along - walking in relative silence until we finally reached the church. Sheila, Bonnie, and Elena, all stood huddled together against the cold near the entrance to the tomb. I nodded in greeting to Sheila just as Stefan climbed up from the tomb - a shovel in hand.

"Cleared the debris away. Set the torches like you asked. We can get down now," he said, glancing at Sheila and Bonnie.

I took Damon's hand and pulled him towards Sheila. "Sorry, we're a bit late. I got held back by Caroline and Matt," I said.

Bonnie and Elena both froze momentarily and I rolled my eyes. "Don't worry. I didn't invite them to the vampire roast," I said, snapping my fingers.

In front of Stefan two red containers of gasoline appeared and Elena jumped in surprise.

"What is that?" Bonnie asked.

I gestured towards the containers and Stefan reached down to pick one up. "It's everything we need to destroy them. I made a deal and I intend to keep it. Only one of them comes out of there alive," I said, catching the eye of every person huddled around me.

Sheila nodded and placed a hand on Bonnie's shoulder when the young witch scoffed and made to start her inquisition. Stefan handed Sheila a flashlight as Damon walked past me, descending the stone steps down into the tomb. Stefan tried to catch my eye but I avoided him, instead choosing to follow after Damon. When we entered the tomb Sheila stood in front of each torch - lighting them as she began to chant.

"Air. Earth. Fire."

Bonnie - who stood behind her with a clear plastic container full of water - handed it to Sheila who proceeded to sprinkle it on the floor in front of the entrance.

"Water," Bonnie said.

Having seen these types of rituals before I was less than impressed, so instead, I chose to focus on my numb hands. I continued to rub them together forcefully, before giving up with a grumble of annoyance. I sidestepped closer to one of the torches, sticking my hands close to the flame - letting out a sigh of relief when they started to tingle as they thawed. Damon caught my eye and chuckled, shaking his head in amusement. I shrugged, placing my warmed hands in my coat pocket. As Sheila sprinkled the last of the water on the ground. Elena scoffed, looking at me in shock.

"That's it? Just water from the tap?" she asked.

I rolled my eyes and stepped closer to her. "What did you expect? Were we all supposed to dance around naked as we chanted in Latin?" I snipped.

Damon leaned against the stone wall and cleared his throat. "I mean..." he started.

I smacked his chest and glared at him as Sheila looked at our resident doppelganger in annoyance. "As opposed to what?" she diplomatically asked.

Elena glanced around at all of us as she scooted closer to Stefan. "I just figured maybe it would have to be blessed or mystical or something," she said.

I laughed, shrugging as I glanced back at Damon. "That's a common misconception, Lena. Only certain ingredients in certain spells have to be mystical or blessed. And it's never the water. Usually, it's the blood," I said, tilting my head and running my eyes over her swiftly.

Stefan placed a hand on her arm as he stepped in front of her, moving towards me slowly as if he was prepared to attack. I scoffed at his reaction, rolling my eyes as I moved away. I wasn't at all surprised when I bumped into Damon as I backed up. He was standing directly behind me, eyes firmly placed on his brother.

"Ok guys, come on. There is no need for this. I'd rather just get this over with," I said.

Damon pulled me away from Lena and his brother, leading me towards the witches as he reached into his jacket - unraveling a blood bag. I smirked up at him, his blue eyes were gleeful as he glanced at his brother who was shining his flashlight in our direction.

"What's that?" Stefan asked.

I jerked my head towards him with a snort. "Please. You know exactly what that is, Stef," I laughed.

Damon smiled at his brother and drug his blue eyes towards my sister. "It's for Katherine. Gotta have something to get her going. Unless your girls offering a vein to tap."

Elena glanced at us both, disdain clear on her face.

"Admit it. Your hoping Katherine is in there because if she is, you get rid of me. And you can't wait for that," he whispered looking at his brother.

I avoided my sister's heated gaze in favor of Bonnie and Sheila who were reading from the grimoire on the cold stone ground at our feet. Stefan chuckled, gently shaking his head. "I can't wait to get rid of you," he said.

I sighed deeply and bit my bottom lip in agitation. Why couldn't they just get along the way they used to?

Bonnie glanced up at us her brow furrowed. "We're ready," she said.

Sheila and Bonnie stood, stepping into the middle of the tomb as they interlocked hands, their eyes closed. The air around us became thick with magic and tension as they started to chant, reciting the spell to unlock the entrance to the tomb. Damon paced back and forth, watching them intently.

"What are they saying?" he asked.

I tilted my head, watching them cast. I kept my senses peeled - ready for anything. I knew that the spell they were using would unlock the tomb, but something was off.

"Sounds Latin," Stefan said.

Elena stepped closer to me, glancing at me for confirmation.

"I don't think its Latin," she said.

I shook my head, too focused on the spell to bother answering them with words. Damon stopped his pacing and stood next to me, the blood bag held tightly in his grasp. After only a few moments of the witches chanting the torches around us flared brightly, the Salvatores and my sister flinched back in surprise. Elena rushed over to Stefan, grasping his arm in fear.

"What's happening?" Elena gasped.

I turned my head towards my sister and smiled. "It's working," I said.

As the words left my lips a loud creaking echoed throughout the tomb as the stone door started to crack, separating into two. Damon looked down at me, shock and happiness shining in his eyes, centuries in the making. Sheila and Bonnie's chanting stopped as the rumbling around the room finally ended and Bonnie's excited gasp was the first thing we heard.

"It worked!" she said, staring at the opened tomb in awe.

Sheila let go of her hands and stepped away, glancing at me with her usual air of superiority. "Of course it worked," she said.

Damon glanced behind him towards his brother as he took my hand. "We have some fires to build," he said.

Stefan watched me closely before he looked down at Elena, gently touching her shoulder. "I'm gonna go get the gasoline. I'll be right back," he said.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, smiling when I could hear the chuckle coming from the young witch to my right even if she tried to hide it. Stefan glared at me as he ascended the stairs out of the tomb. Damon looked from the witches to my sister and back as he pulled me towards the entrance. He looked down at me, his eyes hard.

"You ready?" he asked.

I stepped in front of the tomb and raised my hands feeling the shrouded power that still radiated from it. I chuckled darkly, shaking my head. Before Damon could step through the entrance I placed a hand on his shoulder and pushed him away. Spinning around I started to clap my hands slowly, earning a raised brow and speculative gaze from the vampire beside me.

"Very tricky, Bennetts. I've gotta hand it to ya, it was a clever plan," I said, walking towards them my eyes narrowed.

Sheila watched me her face paling. I raised my index finger in the air with a smirk. "But, as I explained to you Sheila, none of your plans would be clever enough for a witch my age. Because you see, I can still feel the magic wafting off the damn thing! What did you think I would do to you when he couldn't escape, hmm? Did you think I would just leave him there to rot?"

I extended my hand towards Sheila, my face a mask of anger. She gasped in fear as she fell towards the ground yet never met it. Her body floated in the empty air, her hands grasping at her neck where an invisible force held her in place. I pulled my hand towards my body and Sheila was drug towards me, her feet scraping across the stone floor, small pebbles fluttering in her wake. Bonnie rushed forward, her fists clutched in anger, but Damon was beside me in an instant, his vampiric features on display as a warning to the young witch and my sister. I glanced at them both with no emotion. At the moment I couldn't have any. Sheila had tested me and tried to betray our deal, I couldn't allow her to get away with it. I wasn't Elara Gilbert right now, but Elandra Rioult, Original witch. I knew Elena and Bonnie wouldn't understand that and would probably never forgive this, but sometimes these things had to be done if you wanted to protect those you loved. This world wasn't as black and white as they believed, and I truly hoped someday they would understand that.

Sheila flew into my grasp and I tightened my hand around her thin neck. Leaning towards her I ran my eyes over her face. "Now, you and Bonnie will complete the spell, leaving the tomb entirely open. I know that you do not have the power you need to safely do that." I lifted my other hand towards her, running my finger across her cheek. "I can sense your power is nothing compared to Emily's nor is Bonnie's, not yet at least. So, even though you have betrayed me I will help you. I will save your life, seeing as it is now my job to do so," I said with a sneer.

I let go of her neck, allowing her to fall to the ground. I took an audible deep breath before I lowered my gaze to the crumbled wich at my feet. Damon placed a hand on my shoulder and I shrugged it off. I didn't need his comfort right now. I needed no one's comfort or strength when I was casting. I had my magic and that was all I needed. I bent over Sheila, my hand lit with magic and placed it on her forehead. My magic seeped into her skin and Sheila gasped in surprise, her eyes widening before fluttering closed in delight. I knew my magic would probably feel like the best high to her.

"Your magic will temporarily have a boon. It will be enough for you to complete this spell. Do not try any more of your tricks. I expect us both to be able to exit when we are ready," I said.

Sheila stood, her eyes planted on the ground as she backed away from me. Bonnie stepped forward, Lena's hand placed firmly on her shoulder. "Who do you think you are, Elara? You can't just attack my Grams like that. What the hell happened to you?" she yelled, trying to step closer to me.

Elena pushed her away when Damon growled threateningly, the black veins growing under his eyes as he bared his teeth. I placed myself in front of Damon and Bonnie my hands raised. "Bonnie, I warned your Grams. I told her what would happen if either of you dared betray me. There are consciences when you break an oath between our kind. Even if we are inherently two different breeds of witch - Magic is the same, and your Grams and I had a deal. She broke it," I shrugged.

Bonnie scoffed glaring at me menacingly. Sheila grabbed hold of Bonnie's elbow before she could do something stupid - like try and cast something against me - and pulled her away.

"Bonnie, she is right. I broke our deal and that means she had every right to cast her retribution. That is the way of things. The fact that she didn't actually punish me, means we owe her a debt, one that I intend to pay now by performing the spell as it was meant to be performed," she said, taking Bonnie's hands in her own.

Bonnie's eyes were wide as they flitted from her Grams to Elena and back. My sister stood off to the side of the tomb her hands shaking. She shrugged in shock, unable to help her friend or tell her what to do as she usually did. I crossed my arms and raised a brow as Sheila jerked Bonnie's arms. "Focus Bonnie," Sheila castigated.

Bonnie turned her head, closing her eyes with a small whimper of disbelief, joining her Grams as she chanted. When I was satisfied by their continued spellwork, I took Damon's hand and pulled him towards the entrance of the dark tomb. Elena skated her way towards us, her doe eyes round as she realized she would be left all but alone. The two witches to busy with the spell to offer her much protection.

"You can't just leave me here!" she whined.

Damon turned to me, raising his hand, and motioning towards my sister with a smirk before stepping into the darkness, his deft figure disappearing completely. Even though I wasn't sure he could see me I still sent him the finger, annoyed that he had left me to deal with my sister alone. A ghostly chuckle bounced off the walls ahead of me and I stuck out my tongue towards the darkness.

I twisted my head, turning towards Elena, giving her my full attention. "Listen, Lena, Stefan will be bringing the gas back down here shortly. In fact, I have no clue what is taking him so long."

I glanced back towards the stairs, idly wondering what had caught the youngest Salvatores attention. I pulled out my phone and checked to make sure he hasn't tried to contact me. When I saw no new messages I placed it back in my pocket and looked up at Lena.

"You do not want to come in here with us. Believe me, desiccation is not pleasant and I'd rather that not be something you ever witness Lena," I said, brushing her hair from her eyes.

She pulled away from me, crossing her arms, eyes narrowed. "Like you care what I have to witness. You just attacked someone in front of me," she smarted.

I licked my lips, my eyes widening at her tone. She was right, after all. I had just attacked Sheila right in front of her. My true self shining through without a second thought. I looked back into the darkness of the tomb and rubbed my shoulder.

"Your right, I did. But this, what lies in there" I pointed at the entrance, glancing at her sternly. "That is not something you need to see. What I did with Sheila was unavoidable. Just stay here Elena. For once listen to me and wait for your boyfriend. I'll be back for the gas shortly," I said, stepping into the darkness and pulling a flashlight from my bag.

I turned on my light and took a deep breath as I steadily made my way through the dark tunnel. I could hear low moans reverberating off the walls and knew that they were coming from somewhere near my feet. A loud clunk of metal hitting stone had me gasping loudly, my heart pounding unsteadily against my ribs when my foot hit something solid.

They were chained! Oh my God.

They had chained them all to the walls. I closed my eyes, swallowing heavily as I lowered my light towards the huddled masses of pale grey flesh nearest me. The dessicated man beside me was more mummy the man, his grey flesh sunken in and paper thin. I lowered myself closer to him and shined my light on his face. His eyes popped open, their glassy red depths staring back at me hungrily. I shrieked in utter fear, shocked by his sudden lifelike animation. It was so easy to forget that they were alive when staring at their mummified appearance. I stumbled back, my feet colliding with another starved prisoner and I fell, landed heavily beside the desiccated vampire. I gasped, rolling away breathing heavily. I tried to get to my feet as quickly as I could and screamed again with I felt a warm hand on my arm, lifting me to my feet. I stumbled against the hard chest of Stefan Salvatore. His dark brown hair breeze swept, eyes warm and full of concern.

"Elandra, it's ok, it's ok. It's just me," he softly said.

He ran his fingers across my cheek breathing deeply to help calm me. I nodded as I took in his words, my heart still pounding unsteadily. The mixture of the darkness and being so alone had left me feeling trapped and that was one of my worst fears. I felt completely silly, and much to damsel like. I moved away from him, my hands still holding onto his arms for support as I tried to steady my breathing.

"Thank you, Stef. I fell...and it was just so dark...and I was alone again," I whispered.

Stefan's face fell, his eyes clouding with something heavy not unlike guilt. "Well, I was here this time, El," he said.

I smiled weakly, running my hands over my face. "Yeah, you were. I appreciate that." I said with a half smile.

He ran his hand over the back of his neck awkwardly and I bent over to pick up my flashlight, seeing the gasoline at his feet.

"I see you brought me a party favor," I said, twirling my light.

Stefan chuckled, reaching down and grabbing one of the containers, giving it a gentle shake. "Ready for our own little bonfire, Ms. Miller?" he asked with a smirk.

I shook my head with a small pout. "I'm only sorry I didn't bring marshmallows," I said.

Stefan sighed exaggeratedly and glanced at the bodies surrounding us. "So? Where should we start?"

I shined my light on each vampire that was near us glancing over every male quickly, only really giving the women a thorough examination. I needed to find Pearl.

"Go ahead and cover them with the gas, Stef. I need to find Pearl and Damon," I said over my shoulder.

I could hear the light shake of the container as Stefan started to cover the vampires with the gas, but I ignored him as I very carefully made my way towards the back of the tomb. Finally, against the wall near the back I could see a woman in a long old fashioned dress, her normally jet black hair was now dead and grey placed in a high updo.

I bent down beside her with a heavy sigh. "Hello Pearl," I said, pulling out my phone.

I knew Anna was waiting nearby, having sent her a text that we were opening the tomb tonight. Dialing Anna's number I waited patiently. "Do you have her?" Anna spouted as soon as she answered.

I smiled, knowing how excited she was. "Well hello to you too Anna," I smirked, hearing her frustrated growl.

"Hello, Elandra. Do you have my mother?" she asked again.

I looked down at the grey mummified version of Pearl with a wince. "Yes, I do. You did exactly what I asked of you, so you may come get her. Do not hurt anyone in my town and leave immediately or I will come after you," I said firmly.

Anna took in a deep breath and then I could hear the rush of wind come through the speaker as she sped toward us.

"Agreed. I'm on my way," she said, hanging up.

I could smell gasoline and knew Stefan was standing behind me. "So, Anna is on her way I take it?" he asked.

I nodded slowly and lifted my foot, reaching into my boot and pulling out my knife. Stefan's breath caught in his throat when he saw it, and I could feel him moving closer. "What are you doing, El?" he asked.

I ignored him and ran the blade over the palm of my hand swiftly. Blood dripped down my wrist and I heard Stefan growl in anger. "Elandra!" he yelled.

I rolled my eyes and laid my palm against Pearl's lips. Her bright red eyes - the same color of the blood the I was using to bring her back to life - snapped open and met my own green ones. I smiled at her and lowered my head in a welcoming fashion. She started to lap up my blood, briefly reminding me of a sick cat I had once owned in another life. I pushed away the oddly sickening thought and allowed her a few more moments with my blood before I pulled away. She was still grey and appeared more like a corpse than a living person, but she no longer looked like a mummy. She laid back against the stone wall, her breathing ragged.

"Lady Miller?" she rasped.

I smiled, my eyes burning with unshed tears. "No, Pearl. Not anymore," I said my throat dry.

Pearl's red eyes hardened and I knew what she was about to say was going to be a knife to my heart. "Don't tell me you actually married the Salvatore boy even after what he did with Katherine," she whispered glancing at Stefan. "Should I call you, Mrs. Salvatore then?" she asked.

I stood quicker then I thought I could as a human and stepped away, my heart aching. Stefan took my elbow but I jerked myself away from him. Pearl watched my reaction, her eyes soft with sadness.

"No, no I did not. Anna...she will be here momentarily," I stated.

I took my light and rushed as carefully as I could towards the back of the tomb. I knew that's where I would find Damon and the ghost of the woman who still haunted us both, no matter how much I wanted to deny it. I could hear a rustling of dirt and stone hitting the wall as I rounded the corner, entering the final room in the back of the tomb. Damon stood in the circular room, his back to me shoulders tense, his hand rushing through his hair as he paced around the room.

"She's not here," he said, more to himself than me. I lowered my head my shoulders slumped in defeat.

"I know Damon," I whispered.

Damon turned to me, the useless blood bag fisted in his hand. "She's not here!" he yelled, tossing the bag at the wall where it spattered, trailering down in tears of red.

He looked to me, anguish written across his face

"It doesn't make sense, El. They...they locked her inside," he said, stepping closer to me.

I reached towards him, running my fingers across his cheek. "No Damon. She convinced someone to help her escape. She was never here. I told you she was never here," I said.

He laid his forehead against mine, his eyes squeezed tightly shut. "How could she not be here," he said, his voice pained.

I moved my fingers through his hair, and down his neck. "I am so sorry," I said, unbidden tears falling from my eyes.

Damon let go of me, stepping away. "No, there has to be a reason," he said, rushing out of the tomb.

I watched him go, my heart breaking for him. Taking a deep breath I follow after him, finding Stefan at the entrance.

"Damon didn't find her?" he asked, looking out towards the direction Damon presumably fled.

"No, I told you both she wasn't here," I said.

Stefan looked at me, his eyes full of regret. "I should have believed you," he said.

"I scoffed, shaking my head. "Yes, well should have doesn't really mean a lot to me right now Stefan." I turned back towards the darkness of the tomb. "You sure you covered every vampire with gasoline?" I asked.

Stefan shook the empty container with a nod. "Yes. They are ready for a lit match," he said.

I rolled my eyes and faced the darkness, raising my fingers, and with a quick snap, the darkness became lit with bright fierce firelight as every vampire within the tomb began to burn. Low screams rang through the air and from the corner of my eye I could see Elena's tear-filled eyes as Stefan comforted her, whispering reassuring words in her innocent ears. I stayed put, watching the fire and listening until every agonized cry died out. They didn't deserve to die alone. I hated having to end their lives, but I couldn't chance them seeking revenge on my family or any of the other Founders. When I could hear nothing but the sizzling of the fire I flicked my wrist, sending a quick burst of wind to douse the flames. Turning on my heel I avoided the searching eyes of those that had stayed behind. Bonnie and Sheila lowered their heads as I passed and closed my eyes, unable to play the part of the superior witch at the moment. My phone buzzed in my pocket as I ascended the stairs towards the moonlight above me. I lifted my phone from my back pocket and moaned in annoyance at the message that awaited me.

"Elandra, we just received a visit from Damon. He asked us about Katherine. He wasn't happy to find out that I knew she wasn't in the tomb. I was forced to tell him about the last time I had seen her. He didn't seem all that surprised to find out it was in 1983. He seemed broken when I revealed that she knew of his location. I am so sorry, but I thought I should let you know. He looks on the verge of something terrible. Be careful. Anna.

I sat on the ground in front of the tomb, my head on my knees. This was bad. I needed to make sure Damon didn't do anything stupid until I could get him and Katherine together. He needed to be able to confront her. This was all beginning to become too much and I felt so powerless and alone. Something warm touched my shoulder and I looked up, brushing the tears from my cheeks. Elena and Stefan stood beside me.

"He's gonna be ok El," Stefan said.

I shook my head in disbelief. "I'm not so sure about that. Not this time," I said.

Elena took my hand, lifting me to my feet. "Then you'll be there. As much as I hate the idea of that," she smiled.

I chuckled, sniffing as she helped me clean my face. "Let's get you home, Ellie. I think you've done enough for today," she whispered, glancing at Stefan.

They both nodded and for once I conceded, allowing someone else to take care of me for a change even if I knew their kindness was most likely temporary.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

450K 11.4K 41
Henrik Mikaelson has been reincarnated as Jeremy Gilbert, the younger brother of Elena Gilbert - the latest Petrova Doppelganger whom Klaus is determ...
223K 6.8K 24
"She's the embodiment of chaos itself-a combination of all her siblings, the worst parts of them. She's more vengeful than Klaus, more conniving than...
129K 2.7K 10
After an agreement between 2 out of 3 Gilbert siblings they have decided to keep Andrea out of the loop with anything that isn't supposed to be.. rea...
250K 7.9K 39
After being saved by his brother only for him to give up himself to the hybrid, Damon couldn't help blaming himself for his brother's despair. Wha...