Hunting the Hunter (Second in...

By conleyswifey

Sequal to 'Lone Wolf'. Brendon is a hunter. Born immortal with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing a... More

Hunting the Hunter
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Six

35.1K 1.4K 92
By conleyswifey

“Breakfast!” The call rang out as the dungeon doors were thrown open. Brendon watched the prisoners around him, acting like hogs at feeding time. Tugging on their chains, fighting to reach the doors of their cages while drool ran down their chins.

Animals.

When it came down to it, deep down inside each human, werewolf, vampire and demon, inside each and every ‘civilized’ creature, lay the spirit of an animal.

The desperation, the savagery.

Brendon saw the guard approaching his cell. He was in the darkest and dampest of the many dungeons the Council had here. Brendon had never given much thought to what went on behind the scenes at the compound. He had always just done what he’d been told.

He had been blindly obedient. A sheep.

No more. That Brendon was gone. His eyes were wide open now and he was seeing the Council for what they truly were.

Monsters. They were no different, no better, than the evil that they sent their Hunter slaves to destroy. They had dungeons full of innocent prisoners. Prisoners they were torturing, starving and beating daily.

“Breakfast.” the guard at his door, a mortal, muttered and Brendon glared at him, ignoring the moldy hunk of bread that was tossed down on the feces and urine covered stone.

“You better eat, Brendon.”

“Do I know you?” Brendon growled. His voice was rough and scratchy from lack of water. He was weak, given the weeks he’d been here, or was it months now? Brendon figured it was. Probably close to two months.

He wondered where Ella was. Maybe Grange and the pack had been able to fight off the Hunters and Ella was fine, safe….. Brendon knew that wasn’t true. Something inside of him knew she wasn’t fine. She wasn’t safe.

“No, but we all know you. I never thought you’d turn on the Council. Your name is legend here.”

“That’s because I’m dangerous.” Brendon assured the man as he stood up, hauling up the heavy chains that were connecting his wrists and ankles. “Step in here and I’ll show you.”

“Don’t you think those chains might get in your way?” the young guard asked with a smirk.

Brendon smiled, though it was humorless and cold. He saw the cockiness on the guards face falter slightly.

“Naw, I think they’ll help.” Brendon’s voice lowered to little more than a whisper and the guard leaned closer to the bars in order to hear him. “Imagine these chains around your neck. Each cold, metal link pressing deeper and deeper. Warm blood trickling down your neck as they slice through your skin…..”

“That’s enough.” A second guard, an older guard, half demon, grunts as he shoves the first guard, (who has gone pale), out of his way. “It’s time to go, traitor. Your day in court has come.”

“Court would imply that there is some hope of justice. I think you mean my day of slaughter has come.”

“Get him out.” the second guard ordered and the first guard shook his head and took a step back.

“Hell no. I ain’t going in there. That man’s crazy.”

“That man is chained and there are three more of us standing out here if he tries anything.” the second guard reminded the first as two more guards walked over. When the first guard still showed no signs of moving toward the cell door, the second pulled his gun and pressed it against his chest.

“Get the prisoner out of his cell. The Council is waiting.”

Brendon found mild amusement in the way the first guards hands shook as he opened the cell door and stepped inside. Brendon waited patiently as the guard unhooked his chains from the floor and then shoved him forward.

Brendon’s mind was racing as they led him through the dungeon. Two spears were pointed into his back, their sharp points pricking him through his stiff, filthy shirt. A gun was pressed to his temple and a knife at his throat as he was led up out of the depths of darkness and toward the main compound.

Had they found Ella? Was that why he was being led to the council after so long locked up?

Brendon prayed that wasn’t so. He hoped that they had given up on getting Ella and were tired of waiting to carry out his sentence. He didn’t care if he died, he just didn’t want Ella to die with him.

His weak legs tripped over a loose stone in the floor and the knife at his throat pierced his skin, drawing out a trickle of blood. The guard holding it chuckled.

“Better walk steady there, traitor, or the Council will be killing a dead man.”

Brendon didn’t both to tell the ignorant guard that that statement made no sense. He didn’t think the man would appreciate his two cents on the matter.

Brendon felt as if the walk to the Council room was the longest walk he had ever taken. He prepared himself to see Ella’s face when the doors were thrown open and instead breathed a sigh of relief when all he saw were twelve old men in robes sitting behind the long desk.

They didn't have his mate.

He was led to the platform in the center of the room and he squinted as the sunlight from the skylight hit his eyes. It was the first time he’d seen sunlight in nearly two months.

The four guards took steps back though they remained close enough with their weapons drawn to restrain him if necessary. Brendon caught a glimpse of himself in the shining brass gong against the far wall.

He has lost weight, which is no surprise. He was also pale and dirty. His face was covered with a thick beard. But he wasn't broken. His shoulders were thrown back and his head held high.

“Hello, Brendon.” Farris’s voice reached his ears and Brendon’s eyes instantly fell on the monster of a man.

“Farris.”

“You dare call me by my name?!” Farris demanded.

“Would you prefer ‘Bastard’?”

“Enough!” Jeremy exclaimed before Farris could say anything else. Farris took a moment to adjust his robe and then fixed Brendon with a cool stare.

“I believe you know our guest who will be arriving shortly.”

Brendon’s heart fell to his feet and his temper flared when the doors opened and two guards came into the room, holding a chained, bruised and bloody woman between them.

“Ella….” he ground out between his clenched teeth and her head snapped up.

Hope sparked in her green eyes, filling them with light as she looked at him. “Brendon! You’re alive.”

Brendon didn’t reply because the only thing he could think of to say was ‘for now’ and somehow he didn’t think that would be what she needed to hear.

His heart was beating against his ribs, pounding, thundering, pulsing out an erratic rhythm as panic welled up inside of him. They had Ella. They had found her. She was in their hands. She was going to die.

“Bring her forward.” Alfred ordered. Brendon saw Ella’s feet become tangled and she tripped, nearly falling. One of the guards holding her, gripped her arm roughly and jerked her to her feet and the other smacked her face.

“Pay attention.” he ordered. Brendon felt rage roaring through his blood. A roaring river rapid bubbling over the surface.

He lunged forward, intent on killing the man who had struck his woman. Instead the spear at his throat sliced the side of his neck and the metal handle of another spear landed roughly against his back, the thud of the impact echoing in the big room.

Brendon hit his knees, his hair falling across his face and his eyes never leaving Ella’s. He could tell she wanted to fight to get to him and he shook his head.

“Just do as they say, honey.” Brendon could feel the blood pouring down his neck, soaking his tattered shirt. Ella’s face was covered in blood, though from the smell he could tell it wasn’t hers and his heart fell. She had clearly bitten someone and the Council would punish her for that if they did find her innocent of whatever other crimes they were trying her for today.

“Stand up, Brendon.” Farris’s voice echoed behind him. “Face the council.” Brendon pushed himself to his feet, his legs protesting the motion after so long being locked in a cell with little movement.

He heard chains rattling behind him as Ella stepped forward as well.

“State your name.” Farris said, looking at Ella, who remained silent and did not answer. Brendon heard a sharp smack and jerked against the four guards holding him, only to receive a sharp hit to the back of his head.

“Hold still.” Brendon glared at the guard. He hated these chains. It was because of these chains that they were able to control him. They used them like ropes and they gave them leverage to hold him still.

Cowards! All of them!

Brendon didn’t care that two of the guards in this room were Hunter’s, he had no brotherly feelings toward them any longer and would kill them just as easily as everyone else in this room if harm came to Ella.

“State your name, vampire!” Farris stated again, more forcefully this time.

“Ella.”

“Ella, you have been accused of murdering countless innocent men and one of this Council’s Hunters. What do you have to say for yourself?”

Before Ella could reply, Brendon spoke up.

“I told you I killed Vaughn!” he yelled angrily. “I enjoyed it! I ripped his treacherous throat right out! And those men were killed by the vampire who’s teeth I showed you weeks ago!”

“We don’t believe you, Brendon.” Jeremy said sadly. “You will die for your treachery and the vampire will die for the crimes she has committed.”

“You won’t lay a hand on her, Jeremy. I’ll rip out each and every one of your black hearts.” Brendon promised and the room filled with laughter. The other eleven councilmen looked at Farris, their expressions ranging from concerned to annoyed as he seemed quite amused by the proceedings.

Brendon knew it was hopeless. He was going to die. Ella was going to die. But Brendon would be damned if he wasn’t going to take at least a few of the bastards with him before it happened. He just had to wait for the right moment.

***

“See the glass roof?” Blain asked as he pointed across the distance separating the pack from the compound.

Grange grunted in agreement.

“That’s where the council is. The prisoners are kept in the dungeons until it’s time to face the council for execution.” His voice was haunted and Anika’s hand went to rest gently on his back.

“The compound is guarded but not impossible to penetrate….”

“It would be easier at night.” Nickolai said and Grange nodded.

“Ella and Brendon might not have until night.” Dawn countered. The pack fell silent, each of them knowing that they might already be too late and probably were.

“I don’t think we’re going to be able to plan an attack. We have no idea where they might even be. I think we’re just going to have to attack and hope the element of surprise will be enough.” Nickolai stated matter of factly.

Grange nodded, though he would like that plan better if his mate weren‘t here. “If you’re injured too badly then get out. I don’t want to lose any more pack members, I just want to find the ones we’ve lost.”

“Grange, if we go in the back way we can probably sneak a little further in, maybe even figure out where they are without drawing too much attention to ourselves.” Blain spoke up.

“We’ll follow you, Blain. You have the experience here.” he concedes with a nod. Blain tipped his head in gratitude and then began leading them through the woods and around a mountain peak, though they all continued to stay low to the ground to avoid being spotted by the lookouts.

Grange looked at Dawn and felt his chest get tight.

“Love?” he whispered.

“Yes?”

“Be careful.”

Blain led them to the back of the compound and they all stared at the closed iron gate, the only break in the solid stone wall.

“How do we get him to open that?” Dawn asked as she looked at the demon guard. “And why do they use demons?”

“Because demons are easily bought and paid for.” Nickolai replied. “They are cheap labor just so long as you have plenty of prisoners to keep them supplied with the fear and pain they need to thrive.”

“Those aren’t the only guards. Most of the guards are mortal. Some are demons and some are Hunters in training.” Blain added.

“Why don’t we just go up there and tell the guard we’re peddlers selling household wares and various items?” Trig asked with a grin. Grange’s grunted.

“Go ahead.”

“Really?” Trig asked doubtfully. He’d only been kidding after all.

“No, not really.” Grange said dryly. “You are an idiot.”

Blain surprised everyone when he reached down and tore a sleeve off his own shirt and then ripped a hole in the chest of it. He began scooping up hands full of dirt and rubbing them on his face and skin.

“What are you doing?” Anika asked with a frown.

“Getting them to open the gate.” Blain replied simply. He turned to Nickolai. “Hit my face. Don’t worry about hurting me…..” Blain was cut off when Nickolai swung and his fist thudded loudly against Blain’s jaw.

Nickolai was standing there straight-faced as if nothing had happened as Blain’s head snapped back and he spit blood.

“Thanks.” he gasped. “That should do it. You all be ready to rush in. I’ll have to take that guard out quick. He’s the only one back here but if he blows that horn on his belt it will be over for us before it starts.”

“Blain!” Anika called out as he started toward the road that led to the gate. Blain stopped and turned to look at her with a frown. She swallowed hard and bit her lip. Blain just smiled reassuringly at her and then continued on his way.

“Halt! Who goes there?!” the guard called out when he saw Blain. Blain limped forward, the limp faked since his leg had healed days ago.

“Help me. I was attacked…” he panted.

“Attacked by what?” the guard demanded.

“Wolves..”

“You’re a wolf.” the guard stated skeptically.

“I was guiding several mortals across the mountains and the wolves attacked us. They killed them all.” Blain stumbled. “Please, help…”

The guard seemed unsure for a moment and then he sighed. “Okay. The Council needs to hear about this, I suppose.” The guard came down from his tower post and walked to the iron gate. He took a set of keys from his pocket and unlocked the heavy lock before pulling one side of the gate away.

Blain limped his way through the gate and the demon guard began to close it but Blain was too fast. Without giving the demon time to know it was coming, Blain grabbed him from behind, wrapped an arm tight around his head and then twisting, snapping the demons neck.

That was the only way to kill a demon. You had sever its spinal cord. That meant breaking their neck or beheading them.

Blain took the keys from the dead demons hand just as Grange and the pack came through the gate.

“Gather up whatever weapons the demon had.” Grange ordered.

“These keys will unlock that door,” Blain said pointing toward a small door in the stone wall of the compound. They were standing in an empty courtyard only about twenty feet wide.

“Where does that door lead?” Grange asked. “Do you remember?”

“I will never forget the details of this place.” Blain replied cooly. “I was a prisoner here for ten years. That door leads to a very tight, dark hallway which leads to two doors. One door leads out into the compound, the other down to one of the dungeons.”

“Prisoners are kept in the dungeons?” Grange asked and Blain nodded.

“Then we need to head to the dungeons.” Nickolai and Grange stuffed the dead demon guard back into the watch tower so that the body wouldn’t be discovered too quickly.

The pack went into the hallway, each moving as silently as shadows as they slipped past the cool damp stone.

Grange felt Dawn tremble beside him as they started down the narrow staircase that would lead toward the dungeons. The scents here were familiar and Grange knew they were reminding her of Faugrimm’s castle.

The scent of pain, sweat, dirt, urine and feces wafted up from the depths of the dungeons. Grange reached out and took her hand, squeezing it comfortingly.

“You’ll be fine, love.” he promised her, not because he was sure it was the truth but because he knew it was what she needed to hear.

Blain motioned for everyone to stop at the bottom of the stairs and he peeked his head around the corner.

“The guards aren’t here.” he whispered. “We better look through this dungeon fast because there are several.”

Grange stepped out into the dungeon.

“We’re looking for a vampire.” he said to the cells full of prisoners. They were thin, dirty and unkempt. They were in just as bad of shape as the prisoners had been at Faugrimm’s castle. How could any Council claim to be good and yet treat living creatures like this?

“You’ll probably have to be more specific.” Trig said matter of factly as he nudged Grange’s shoulder.

Grange growled and then took another step. “We’re looking for a vampire that would have arrived within the last day or two. Red hair, short, pale…”

“A little on the odd side.” Trig added. Grange was about to scold him when a hoarse voice to their right spoke up.

“You’re too late.”

Dawn went to the cage and looked down at the female werewolf sitting inside, thick heavy chains locked at her wrists and ankles. Grange joined Dawn, not wanting her to be so close to this werewolf.

“What do you mean?” Dawn asked quietly.

“She came yesterday but they took her about an hour ago. She’s meeting with the council. She almost killed a Hunter so they will probably put her to death.”

“Oh no…” Dawn gasped and Grange looked around him.

His pack couldn’t take on the entire compound without getting killed but maybe with the help of these prisoners…..

“How many of are willing to fight for your freedom?”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 544 11
Ze and Chilled have been best friends since the beginning of time, and they often did things that would be "Gay" but they do it for fun. But, when Ch...
7.1K 1.3K 50
Author's Note: This is book two. If you would prefer to start from here, you are an agent of Chaotic Good, but it is completely up to you. It is part...
288K 7.7K 60
"You're in my territory now, princess, and you'll abide by my rules. Is that clear?" he whispered in my ear as he backed me against the wall, his han...
2.2K 240 36
"My name is Tara Kingston, and let's face it: I'm better than you." Tara was not a nice girl. In fact, she was quite the opposite. She had friends on...