Where Do Broken Hearts Go?

By doeneseya

When Angel Hardin wakes from a ride-home nap on Valentine's Day, she finds a totaled car and flashing ambulan... More

WHERE DO BROKEN HEARTS GO?
Prologue
1. The Final Proposal
2. The Decision
3. Polka Dot Wallet
4. The Caramel Latte
5. I O U
6. Parked
7. Bright Pink
8. My Milkshake Brings...
9. On The Steps
10. Not The Type
11. The Treatment
12. Accept
13. Espen
14. Curls
15. Like A Kid
16. The Concoction
17. Mini Social Life
18. Search Party
19. A Lana Lies
20. Intimations
21. Boyish
22. Soul Windows
23. The Grand Canal
24. Revenge
25. Doge's Palace
26. Striving
27. Rossini
28. Flowers and Happiness
29. Sleeping With The Enemy
30. Bombed Mission
31. Day Off
33. Blindfold
34. 7:37 AM Show
35. Don't Be Shy
36. The Seline
37. Moments
38. Morning Show
39. Without Ransom
40. High
41. Hoarse
42. Spent
43. That's The Law
44. Netflix & Chill
45. London
46. Pillion
47. Zone 2
Thank You

32. Pasta & Wine

1.1K 107 52
By doeneseya

I returned home around 4:45 PM. Ella didn't get home until 5:30 PM. By 6 PM, we were on our way to dinner.

"How was your day off?"

"For starters, I didn't get any work done. I slept." 

My eyes swipe, jump, and bounce to scope out her new Explorer. Checking out the backseat, I find a single row of tan upholstery. I like.

"You work like a horse.Don't you get tired of reading all the time? Then, you're editing and writing your damn self."

As I gaze through the tinted glass, the busy streets of downtown London flash past. 

"All of it is relaxing," I defend my passion. "but it becomes work when we're rushing for deadlines. We've been doing a lot of that lately. I'm finishing a manuscript. After that, I get to relax a little." My relieved sigh is premature, but I feel a weight lift from my shoulders. 

"My new place is up this way." Ella points over the steering wheel. "I can't wait to show you the inside. It's so cute. Those." She straightens her arm, singling out a tall, white and black building. That's aesthetically pleasing.

"This building?" I point.

"Yes."

My head turns as we pass her new building. "Can't wait for you to get the keys. I have to see the inside."

"You will... when you help me move my crap."

"Okay. " I smile as I consider my conversation with Marcel and the freedom that follows my best friend's departure. "The area seems nice."

"From what I hear, it is very nice. I asked a couple of old folks that were hobbling around. You know they don't give a shit. They'll tell you the truth. Bonus." She sticks up a finger to seize my attention.

"Huh?"

"I didn't see too many kids running around."

"No stomping." I make the point.

"Exactly. Oh, I forgot to tell you. Avery is coming."

"I haven't seen the mama-to-be in a while. I want to rub her tummy." I stroke my empty one.

"She's adorable – especially when she waddles."

Attempting to recall a detail from Ella's past, my lips poke out. "You had an ex named Avery, right?"

"Yes and now her ass is pregnant too."

"Yikes."

"With the guy she cheated on me with. I haven't forgiven that bitch." 

I observe Ella's tightening grip on the steering wheel. My eyes bounce again fueled by an unforeseen wave of anxiousness. Okay, girl, you're straining your knuckles.

"Y'all were serious." I figure, not knowing all the details of her old relationship.

"Ha! Clearly not as serious as I thought." Ella scoffs. Her head of curls twist about as she grimly shakes away the touchy memory. "It's whatever though." She shrugs after ridding herself of the recollection. She replaces the tainted past with a refreshing token of the present. "I've been talking to someone."

"Oooooo!"

"Yes. She's cool. We're keeping it simple. We're going to that festival next weekend."

I snicker at her hatred of crowds. "You hated the Governor's Ball. How are you gonna handle this?"

"I'm not worried about no damn festival. I'm getting laid." She laughs. "Fuck a festival. You already know what it is, Angel."

"That's your definition of keeping things simple?"

"Tomato, tomato." She shrugs with an unruly simper as my laugh dismisses her poor defense.

"Live your best life."

DINNER

"Are you having a housewarming party?" Poppy asks Ella from across our conjoined tables. She's rocking a red, one-shoulder midi dress with matching red lipstick. Maybe I should have tried harder tonight.

"Yes, but it'll be a small gathering."

"When?" Lana questions as she reaches for a hot, butter roll.

"Not next weekend, but the weekend after."

"Are any of you going to the festival?" Avery asks the table as she peers down it for everyone's answer. Ella is the only one to raise her hand. "Wish I could."

"Go." Lana dumbly suggests, but doesn't understand how dangerous the advice is until a reoccurring sound dominoes around the table.

"Noooooo!"

"Do you know how pushy those people are? They're vicious!" I say as I go for my pasta. 

Lana's brown eyes are wide as they skip to each of our dinner guests. "Okay." She carefully brings her desired bread to her purple painted lips. "I'm still trying to get a ticket."

"Good luck." Mocking the reality of Lana's chances, Poppy raises her thin brows as she cuts her steak. "Those tickets are hard to come by."

"And pricey." Avery points with her asparagus ended fork. "I wanna meet your new girlfriend."

As the attention is pinned in Ella's direction, my phone vibrates. All of my friends are here, except for one. Wisely holding my phone underneath the table, Marcel's name is plastered on the screen. Maybe I should change his name to Phyllis or something.

"Hello?"

"I'm sorry. I know you're at dinner." He thoughtfully opens the call with an apology.

"It's okay. What's up?"

"What did you get?" The foodie in him speaks.

"A pasta. I forget the name. I think the Fettuccine. We're at that spot we came to, Padella."

"That was a nice spot. I disturbed your dinner, because your buddy here got an offer for a project."

Instantaneously with the news, my veins sing with excitement. "Don't do this. Where are you going now?"

"Where are WE going?"

"Don't." I collect pasta around my fork in an attempt of calming my nerves, but my heeled-foot begins to wag. "Where? Wait. When?"

"Tonight."

"Marcel." I cover my mouth as I whisper. Peeking at my company, they're busy chatting and giggling at whatever topic they've landed on. "I can't."

"Please. Pretty pleeeeeease!"

"I can't." I shake my head, knowing I have to meet the deadline for this manuscript. Marcel has distracted me enough for one day. I can't afford two more days of this!

"You better move some shit around."

I'm not sure what to do with the authority in Marcel's low and thick voice. Somehow, my legs uncross and relap as my phone switches ears. I'm just happy that he can't see me through the phone or else I would be in trouble.

Breaking down, I ask for help. "Give me an excuse. How am I supposed to pull that off?"

"Oh my God. That sounds like fun."

"It is Friday. Let's just save money and have the nightcap at my place." Ms. Poppy Kim swoops in to save my weekend. Girl, you don't have to pay me back for that lukewarm coffee.

"Okay, what time should I have my things packed?" I continue eating.

Marcel had to have been eavesdropping, because he chuckles on the other end. "Tell her, I said thank you."

"Are you coming, Angel?" Lana questions my attendance.

Suddenly, all of the attention is forced in my direction and I have the nerve to be on my phone. Oops. Does this count as important?

"Who are you on the phone with?" Ella reaches for it, but I dodge her by nearly falling out of my seat.

"I'm talking to my mom." My little white lies begin.

"Yes, and did you take your birth control today?" Marcel's impersonation of a woman makes me snort. I didn't think it was possible for his voice to reach such heights. Impressive for him, but embarrassing for me.

"Oh shoot." I grab my napkin to pat my nose. "Why are you like this?"

"Did you take it?" He laughs.

"Yes! Shut up." I shush him as Lana repeats herself. "I have the manuscript and knowing y'all," I point around the table with my free hand. "you're going to get drunk and be hungover tomorrow. I can't afford that this weekend." I clear my schedule for the next 2 ¼ days.

"She's such an angel." Poppy sticks her tongue out at me.

"You see what I deal with?" I sneakily ask Marcel.

"I see... I hear." He answers.

"Are you going, Ella?" I ask her, realizing that she's my ride.

"Yeah, I can drop you off at home."

"Okay." I continue poking around my plate. "Where?" I engage with my caller. "Hurry up. I'm being rude to my friends."

"I'm not telling you. Do you want me to pick you up or can you drive yourself to the airport?"

"Come get me."

"I'll pick you up at 7:30. We'll be at our hotel by 10. It's a short flight."

"We have to stop doing this." I feel a smile making its way towards my eyes. To cease the reach, I bite my bottom lip, but the top decides to be disobedient.

"Do you want that?"

"Yes."

"And you expect me to believe that?" He hangs up without my answer.

As Marcel's name leaves the screen, I check the time. 6:47 PM. Okay, let me lie my way out of this establishment. Peeling the napkin from my lap, I finish what's left in my mouth as I tap my lips. 

Heads up, Ella.

Oooo, that's good. Wait. First, let me finish this pasta and wine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103 17 18
'... I found myself unable to find much sleep the night after the accident. I felt responsible for every part of it. From the drunk driver running th...
21.1K 582 28
[COMPLETED] When Angeline married Nathan Snyder, it was supposed to give her the perfect life. Her dream was shattered the first time her husband lai...
28K 2.6K 51
WRITTEN BY SOFIA VITORATOS ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 💡Fictionalized under true facts 💡 🛑*MATURE CONTENT*🛑 [PUBLISHING] 🏆1st Place in Chicklit by The...
153K 4.3K 38
We knew she needed us, but we had to go. We stood and watched her sleep before we left. Our bags were packed and waiting for us. The car showed up e...