ANCHOR。 DIEGO HARGREEVES

By overture-

❝ oh, you haven't heard? damaged people thrive when side by side. ❞ in which the amateur magician and the int... More

。 anchor
。 graphic gallery
。 trailer
00.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.

20.

4.7K 353 129
By overture-

TWENTY; MEETING THE FAMILY

What made meeting the Hargreeves children a little awkward for Sabrina was that she hadn't kept up with anything they had done with their lives. She hadn't seen any of Allison's films, read Vanya's controversial book, or heard anything about 'spaceboy' Luther, who had come down from the moon to mourn Reggie. She hadn't met him yet, as he had decided to keep to himself tucked away in an upstairs wing.

"So, you're Diego's...girlfriend?" Allison asked, her hands tucked in the pockets of her dark pants. It was nice that she was trying to make conversation, but Sabrina didn't really know what to say in reply. She glanced back to see Diego sitting by the bar in the main room, drinking a protein shake of all things. He tensed up a little bit at the question that had been asked, his ears perking up to hear the response.

"We're close," Sabrina decided to say. She hadn't really considered what she and Diego were. She saw him as her best friend, but sometimes what she felt when she looked at him surpassed that title. She felt like calling him that friend-zoned them both. "I met your dad a couple times, I wanted to pay my respects."

Allison only grew more confused. "You met him?"

"Yeah, Reggie and I were pals," Sabrina rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet. She could see that Diego's initial intimidating nature was a family thing, as though Allison's soft features were beautiful, the way she held herself gave Sabrina the idea that she was far superior. "At least I think we were. I reckon one more hangout session and I could write him a page in my friendship journal."

Allison didn't really know what to say in response. Sabrina was significantly shorter, dressed in a large yellow hoodie and black leggings that weren't exactly stylish. She was the polar opposite of Diego; in appearance anyway. "...Reggie?"

"That's what she calls him," Diego muttered, finishing his drink and getting to his feet. Sabrina nodded quickly with an awkward grin on her pink lips.

"I don't understand," Allison's dark brows knitted together. "How-"

Sabrina hesitated, clasping her hands together behind her back. "Uh...I'm like you guys. He didn't find me when I was born, so I grew up being a weird kid rather than a superhero. Some shit went down a month or two ago and I've been buds with the Hargreeves household ever since. Pogo and Grace really helped me out when I needed it."

"You've been coming home?" Allison looked back at Diego, who rolled his eyes. He was so different around members of his family, she had noted. It was as if the walls she been let through had been resurrected as soon as he came into contact with the ghosts of his past. 

"Not to see him; to see mom," Diego responded, crossing his arms over his chest. "When was the last time you were here? Over ten years ago?"

Allison went to snap back, but the front door opened, catching her attention. Her figure tensed almost immediately, her glossy lips parting in surprise. "Vanya? You're actually here."

Diego went rigid. Sabrina turned around to see the angered look on his face. She placed a hand on his chest and tried to catch his narrowed gaze. They couldn't see around the corner, but it was clear the man was set on edge just by the knowledge of his estranged sister's presence. "Don't be an asshole, dude."

Rolling his eyes, Diego grabbed her by the hand and tugged her out the door, past Allison, who was speaking to who Sabrina now knew to be Vanya. She was short, dressed in dark clothes that were baggy enough to make her seem invisible. Sabrina still noticed her, though. She thought the woman was very pretty.

"Ah," Diego stopped mid step and glanced back at Vanya with a poisonous expression. Sabrina stood uncomfortably behind him, though she offered the woman a warm smile. "What is she doing here? You don't belong here. Not after what you did."

"You're seriously gonna do this today?" Allison snapped as Diego pulled Sabrina upstairs. "Way to dress for the occasion, by the way."

"At least I'm wearing black," Diego shot over his shoulder. Sabrina glanced back and waved goodbye to the two woman, trying her best to actually seem like a nice person. It wasn't exactly easy when one was associated with an angsty jerk like Diego Hargreeves.

★☆

"Brie!" Klaus dove to tackle Sabrina to the floor of the main part of the home, a rolled cigarette between his fingers. Sabrina laughed as her back hit the rug on the ground, not caring about the way it hurt her backside. He wrapped his arms around her, peppering kisses to her forehead. He then glanced back and grinned at his other siblings who had entered the room. "Everyone, I'd like you to meet the love of my life."

Sabrina snorted as she sat up, before her bright eyes faded at the sight of Allison, Vanya and a really, really big guy who she hadn't met yet. Luther. He cleared his throat as he looked down at her. "Who are you?"

Sabrina quickly pushed Klaus off of her and jumped to her feet, brushing herself off. Diego took a few quick steps forward so that he was in front of her, causing the woman to resist the urge to roll her eyes. "I'm Sabrina Nilsson. I, uh, knew your dad."

Luther opened his mouth to respond, but Diego interrupted almost immediately. "She's here because I asked her to be."

"This is a family-"

"Sabrina is my family," Diego shrugged, not noticing how Allison's lips turned up a little bit. "She's not leaving."

"Fine. Whatever," Luther pursed his lips, before sighing through his nose and stomping over to take a seat. The fire crackled at the end of the room below the portrait of Five, luring the other siblings and Sabrina to find a seat and get comfortable. Klaus wandered towards the bar, finding something to indulge in. "I guess we should get this started. So, I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown; say a few words, just at Dad's favourite spot."

"Dad had a favourite spot?" Allison quirked an eyebrow, and Luther swallowed, looking around at his siblings to see if they understood what he was talking about. They clearly didn't.

"You know, under the oak tree?" Luther continued, as if trying to jog their non-existent memories. "We used to sit out there all the time. None of you ever did that?"

Klaus spun into the scene, standing next to where Sabrina sat. She felt like a gate crasher, but she wanted to be present for Diego. "Will there be refreshments? Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."

"What? No. And put that out," Luther demanded, staring at the Klaus' ashy joint that he was twirling between his fingers. "Dad didn't allow smoking in here."

"Is that my skirt?" Allison piped up, and Klaus glanced down, swaying back and forth to allow the material to float around his legs.

"What? Oh yeah, this," he grinned. "I found it in your room. A bit dated, I know, but it's very breathy on the bits."

Sabrina smiled.

"Listen up," Luther grumbled. "There's still some important things to discuss, alright?"

"Like what?" Diego asked, though it appeared he already knew the answer.

"Like the way he died," Luther responded quickly, and the whole team (par Sabrina) groaned in irritation.

"And here we go," Diego hung his head. Sabrina reached over and placed her hand on top of his for a brief second to let him know how dramatic he was being. He spared a quick glance at her and she smirked a little, adjusting herself from where she sat cross-legged on the floor.

"I don't understand," Vanya spoke up, confusion evident in her voice. "I thought they said it was a heart attack."

"Yeah, according to the coroner," Luther responded, briefly glancing at his sister.

"Well, wouldn't they know?" Vanya pressed on, and Diego rolled his eyes.

"Theoretically."

"Theoretically?" Allison leaned forward a little.

"I'm just saying, at the very least, something happened. The last time that I talked to Dad, he sounded strange," Luther insisted, looking around with hopeful eyes.

"Oh, quelle surprise!" Klaus gurgled on his alcoholic beverage. He must have spilled a little on the floor, because Sabrina curled up her nose at the smell. Whatever it was a mixture of, it smelled like nail varnish.

"Strange how?" Allison was beginning to get a little annoyed, though it appeared she wasn't the only one. Diego was clutching her hand as his brother kept on rambling, his grip getting a little tighter as he tensed.

"He sounded on edge," Luther huffed, moving his hands around as he grew more frustrated. "Told me I should be careful who to trust."

"Luther, he was a paranoid, bitter old man who was starting to lose what was left of his marbles," Diego finally stood up and took a step towards the tall man,

"No," Luther was quick to deny. "He must have known something was going to happen."

He exhaled once more, before looking directly at Klaus, who had taken a seat beside Vanya on the leather couch. "Look, I know you don't like to do it, but I need you to talk to Dad."

Klaus raised his eyebrows in faux surprise and waved his glass around as Allison scoffed in amusement. "I can't just call Dad in the afterlife and be like, 'Dad, could you just stop playing tennis with Hitler for a moment and take a quick call?'"

"Since when? That's your thing," Luther snapped in response.

"I'm not in the right frame of mind," Klaus defended himself quickly, though Allison was quick to interrupt.

"You're high?"

"Yeah! Yeah! I mean, how are you not, listening to this nonsense?" Klaus laughed, gesturing to Luther before leaning back against the couch cushions.

"Well, sober up, this is important," Luther clenched his fists irritably, to which Klaus sighed carelessly. "Then there's the issue of the missing monocle."

"Who gives a shit about a stupid monocle?" Diego shot back, and Sabrina looked up to see him twitch a little. She furrowed her eyebrows curiously, quickly noticing his body language change. Hmm.

"Exactly," Luther exclaimed. "It's worthless. So whoever took it, I think it was personal. Someone close to him. Someone with a grudge."

"Where are you going with this?" Klaus scrunched his face up, his voice lifting a little in pitch as he stared at Luther.

"Oh, isn't it obvious, Klaus?" Diego turned to his brother with a condescending voice. "He thinks one of us killed dad."

Luther grunted softly, his face falling as his thoughts were put into the room. It was quiet for a moment, before everyone began objecting.

"You do," Klaus gasped.

"How could you think that?" Vanya inquired, hurt clear in her tone of voice.

"Great job, Luther. Way to lead," Diego said sharply, glancing back and grabbing Sabrina's hand, leading her outside. The others followed them, in utter disbelief of Luther's accusations.

"What about her?" Luther shouted as they reached the doorway. Sabrina froze and turned on her heel. Everyone was staring at her now. Diego's shoulders tightened, his head slowly turning as anger filled inside him. "For all we know, Diego, you've brought some murderer into our home."

"Shut the hell up, Luther," Diego's voice was low, but before he could step forward, Sabrina pushed him back lightly. She walked towards the large man, trying to contain her nerves. She then looked back at the other Hargreeves children and forced a smile.

"Can I have a minute alone with him?" she asked softly, and Diego clenched his jaw, his eyes flickering between the two.

"Diego," Allison tugged at his arm. She initially seemed unsure as well, but ended up nodding. It seemed that if Number Two had found someone he trusted, it must have been real. He hardly trusted his father, let alone any of his siblings.

Once they were left alone, Sabrina smiled up at Luther. "Hi. You must be Luther."

Luther seemed quite anxious for such a big guy. "I am."

Pursing her lips, Sabrina averted her eyes to the floor as she tried to find the words to say. "Listen, I didn't kill Reginald. He might not have been the greatest guy, but he took care of me when I needed help. So did Grace, Pogo and Diego. Especially Diego. I'm sorry about what happened to him, you must have really loved him."

Luther was still trying to figure out what kind of game she was playing. Unfortunately for him, she wasn't doing anything of the sort. "Why would he take care of you?"

"Because I'm like you guys," Sabrina responded. She then met the soft eyes of the man before her. She took a deep breath, before speaking the familiar words. "What's your wildest dream?"

A slight haze wiped across his face, and Sabrina turned her head to see an odd sight. It was the Umbrella Academy, but as teenagers. They were in their uniforms, seated across the couches and laughing with one another. Luther was blond-haired and far smaller, speaking with Allison with a bright smile on his face. Even Diego seemed to be happy.

"What's happening?" Luther exhaled, a single tear falling down his cheek.

"I guess you're a pretty simple guy, huh?" Sabrina crossed her arms, her lips curving slightly. "You just want to take care of your family."

Luther didn't respond. His breath seemed to be taken away at the shock of the hallucination. Sabrina looked back at him and rested her hand on his arm. He glanced down at her, his jaw agape.

"Luther, I didn't hurt your dad," she assured him. "I'm here because I care about Diego. I care about Klaus too. If you don't want me here, I'll leave, but don't accuse me, or your siblings of something none of them could bring themselves to do."

★☆

sorry i've been gone for a hot second! my mental health has been astoundingly bad and a lot of bad shit's been happening to me irl sooo uhhhh lol

hope you enjoyed! imma try and write some more while i've got some inspo in me xoxoxoxoxooxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

556 45 29
S2 Of Umbrella Academy🌹🔥 |Part 2 of Fire and Flame| Siblings live their own lives in the 60s and then there's an upcoming apocalypse. Shit. SAME WE...
1.8M 50.4K 35
UMBRA ❪ season one ❫ // the darkest part of a shadow COMPLETE five hargreeves x fem!reader written by funkyenderboy
Luzia ² By X_random_X

General Fiction

47.5K 1.1K 19
"Because from the moment something bad happens to you, they all act like they care" -Luzia Hargreeves "Team zero" Book two
1.3M 36.3K 35
"hey, that's one badass stapler." ✔️ number five fanfiction umbrella academy season one [lowercase intended] cover by @ssolarsystems