Damian's Sister

By Littlecamo8

Two years older but no where near as talented as Damian, Daire was kicked out of the League of Assassins when... More

Important Information
Prologue
The Girl
The Target
The City
The Batman
The Dynamic Duo
The Joker
The Trap
The Rescue
The Time
The Kill
The Manor
The Pair
The Family Business
The Blood Son
The Youngest
The Day Out
The Children
The Girl's Past
The Wayne Family
The Date
The Choice
The Offer
The Opportunity
The Betrayal
The Court of Owls
The Decision
The Goodbye

The Last Word

700 18 2
By Littlecamo8

~ The Last Word ~

Batman didn't move, standing in the middle of the ruined street. Police cruisers barricaded the area off, and the crime scene investors scanned the place.

No one dared to bother Batman. His was livid and hating himself. Robin and Sparrow were gone. Gone. Gordon showed him a surveillance video from a few buildings down. It recorded parts of the fight and ended with Bane dragging an unconscious young duo off.

"Busy," was Batman's last word to them.

He should have arrested Catwoman instead of indulging himself. He should have resisted her advances. He should have been there for his son and his son's sister.

"Busy."

He shouldn't have said that. He shouldn't have brushed them off. He shouldn't have turned off his com. He shouldn't have left them on their own to fight Bane.

"Busy."

He should have been listening to the police scanners. He should have known something was wrong. Damian wouldn't have let Daire contact him if everything was fine. He should have known. He should have done something.

He should have, should have, should have-

But he didn't. He didn't and now wasn't the time to wallow in self pity. Now was to find the two children depending on him. He wouldn't fail them a second time.

Batman spun on his heels, striding to the Batmobile. He ignored the looks officers sent him. They all knew what happened to Robin and Batman's newest sidekick.

Gordon was the only one brave enough to confront him. He stood between Batman and the Batmobile.

"We'll let you know if we find anything," he promised, stepping aside. He wasn't going to wastes Batman's time. The sooner he found those kids the better. The sooner they were rescued, the less horrors they'd endure.

Batman gave a grunt for a thanks. Gordon accepted it, knowing the Dark Knight had a lot on his plate (that and the man was one of few words).

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

Damian was the first of the young duo to wake up. His body ached, but it was something he had dealt with for much of his childhood.

His throbbing head made opening his eyes unwanted, but he the last thing he remembered was fighting Bane and he forced them open.

Hands tied above his head, his toes barely grazed the floor. That explained the ache in his shoulders. The dimmed lights made it easier for him to keep his eyes open. The mostly barren room held only a couple of tables, a chair, and barrels of something (probably venom). He looked up. The rope around his wrists were tight but at least he didn't have to pick a lock. Before working on an escape, he glanced at Daire. Her mask still clung to her face, she was still Sparrow. It was then he noticed his mask still hid his identity. Good. They were in the same dilemma, just feet away from each other. Her head hung, her breathing shallow and even. Apart from her chest, she didn't move. Her Sparrow outfit was ragged and torn, his Robin getup barely in better shape.

They appeared to be alone. Robin could hear shuffling in the other room but no footsteps strode closer.

"D- Sparrow. Sparrow. Sparrow, wake up," he called, his voice a rough whisper. The walls weren't soundproof, and he wasn't taking any chances on being heard before their escape. His sister stirred but didn't awaken. "Tt." But he wasn't mad. She looked like the aftermath of a severe sparing with their grandfather: tired and beaten. Even sleeping, she didn't seem at ease.

He huffed, pulling himself up then dropping himself back down when he noticed the missing utility belt. A heavy puff of air left his nostrils at the minor inconvenience. But Ra's Al Ghul trained him from birth and Batman trained him for the past few months. He was more than capable of escaping the feeble rope without any weapons.

True to his belief, his feet blandly flatly on the concrete floor not even thirty seconds later. He rotated his wrists, squeezing his mouth shut to prevent a wince from escaping as the blood flowed back through his arms. He gently lowered Sparrow to the ground, taking off his hood and cape so she wasn't on the hard, cold concrete. It wasn't much, but it was something. And she looked more comfortable laying down that hanging by her wrists.

That done, Robin looked around. The only way out was through the only door, but he wasn't sure if there was anyone on the other side of the door. He found their utility belts laying on a table. He put his on, then managed to get Sparrow's on her for when she woke up.

Having nothing else to do, Robin cracked open the door. He cringed at the slight creak, but no one else heard it. He slipped through the opening as soon as it was wide enough and scanned the place. Bane was not so quietly working out a few rooms down. That was what he was hearing when he was tied up. Before he could find a way out, an obnoxious knock rattled at the door.

Bane dropped whatever weights he was working with, hurrying to answer it. Robin slipped back into the room he woke up in, keeping the door ajar.

Robin's eyes widened at the sight of Oswald Cobblepot, the Penguin. He hobbled in, complaining about the wait.

Robin released a silent but annoyed sigh. With Sparrow out of commission, he was both out numbered and out muscled. Bane being his biggest problem, but Penguin was a threat, too.

It didn't take long for them to come into the room, nor did it take long for them to pin Robin and tie him back up. Penguin didn't take any chances, chaining Sparrow up, too. His men were not careful. Robin growled when the man handling Sparrow carelessly tossed her over his shoulder, pulling a strangled groan from the unconscious girl.

"Ooh, protective of the other little bat, eh, Robin?" Penguin mused.

"Her name's Sparrow."

"Another bird, eh? Goody. I like clipping the wings of spoiled brats."

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

"Where's Robin and Sparrow?" a growl emitted from the shadows, seemingly everywhere with the echoes of the warehouse.

Bane didn't answer, just flexed his pumped muscles and grinned. Batman wasn't as strong as him, but the man's skill made up for the lack of strength. He found fighting the Dark Knight fun.

Batman growled and threw a Bat-a-rang, wasting no time in cutting off Bane's venom supply. Bane couldn't respond fast enough, and the chemical poured onto the floor. Bane quickly shrunk back to his naturally feeble self. Bane's neck jerked when Batman yanked him up, cowl covered eyes glaring at the criminal.

"Where. Are. My. Kids?"

"Not here, Batman."

"Tell me!"

"What are you gonna do? Kill me?"

"Don't tempt me."

"Avenge this Robin like you did the second one?"

"I'm not losing another Robin. Never again. If that means I break a few necks, so be it." Bane had never heard Batman so mad, so convincing. He wasn't sure if Batman was being serious (though when wasn't he?), and didn't want to find out.

"I sold them."

"You what?" Batman roared, slamming him against the ground. Bane's head bounced on the smooth concrete, a loud pang jolting through the air.

It took Bane a few moments to blink the black spots away.

"To who?"

"P- Penguin."

Batman didn't waste another second. He dropped Bane to the ground and made his way outside. He gave Gordon an all clear sign, and a team ran inside.

"Ro-" the Commissioner begun.

"Penguin."

Gordon went to respond, to confirm he understood, but the Dark Knight hopped in his Batmobile and took off. With the two kids' still M.I.A., he didn't blame the brooding man.

But he didn't have time to waste. His men dragged a venom-less Bane out. The man's thin form already looked pale and unstable without it's addiction running through his body's veins.

Without venom, Bane wasn't much trouble. One squad car to take him back to the precinct would be suffice. The rest of them could meet Batman at The Iceberg Lounge.

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

In no mood for games, Batman barged in. He didn't hold back, knocking men twice his size out with a single punch. He broke bones, spirits, and will of man after man. Those with guns faced even more of his mighty wrath. He didn't slow, didn't make a mistake, occasionally delivering an extra punch in case whoever he was fighting wasn't out yet.

A few fled back the way he came. Batman let them. He had no time to waste. Robin- his son- and Sparrow- Robin's sister- were in trouble.

Meanwhile, the birds were laid against a bare wall. Oswald sat on a velvet throne, an umbrella by his side. A dozen men were scattered around the room, waiting in unease as the sounds of their comrades falling grew.

Sparrow had finally opened her eyes, but Robin wasn't sure if she was in any condition to fight. She tried assuring him she was fine, but he knew better. She was like him in that matter (raised the same), weakness is equivalent to failure, and failure is forbidden.

The chains wrapped around them, but now loose and unlocked. Robin normally would have jumped straight up and started beating the life out of the thugs who hurt his sister, but he realized it might not be the best idea. The perfect time was coming- quickly- but wasn't quite here.

A final thud shook the big door, then silence. Robin jumped them, quickly slipping from his chains and taking out the two guys in front of them.

This got everyone's attention on them, giving Batman an extra second to take in the new environment and proceed to his first victim. Both men held back their deadly abilities but fought with a rare aggression (even for the ex- assassin).

The duo eventually came together, taking out the last few bad guys. They paused, staring at each other.

Neither were sure when, but Sparrow had moved. Penguin tried one last attack, but was knocked out with a sturdy punch before pulling the trigger on his umbrella.

She walked over to her brother, looking at the Dark Knight. They had failed. They had been caught, beaten, and we're now going to stripped of this life. Batman would ground them for life, surely not wanting such disappointments to be fighting at his side.

Then, something unexpected happened.

Batman's shoulders dipped in relief and he fell to his knees. Gloved hands pulled the two startled children into his grasp.

"Thank God," he breathed. "You're okay. You're both okay."

Neither child knew what to do, both unaccustomed to the strange level of concern from their guardian. They botched settled upon, "Tt, of course."

oOoOoOoOoOoOo

Back at the Batcave, Bruce had them both thoroughly checked out by Alfred. Both children insisted their good health, claiming to only have received a few bumps and bruises.

"We've done worse to each other," Damian grumbled, as if it somehow made this all nothing.

"That was an accident," Daire barked in reminder. Both were in a grumpy mood. "A happy accident, but an accident. But he's not wrong. We've had even worse sparring with our grandfather."

"I'd hardly call upon the great Ra's Al Ghul for tips on child caring."

"Watch it, Pennyworth," Damian warned.

"No, he's right," Bruce inputted. "Your mother and grandfather had-" he had to pause, "-their own ideas on raising you two. I'm not like them. People get hurt in this line of work; it's how it is. I do not want you covering up any injuries you sustain out there, understood? You are not to fight through the pain or whatever your grandfather told you to do. When we get back to the cave, you are to report every scratch to Alfred and I. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Father."

"Daire?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Now, I'm also very proud for how you both handled yourselves today. Good work."

The siblings blinked. "What?"

For the second time that night, he knelt before the children. "Damian, I know I have a hard time showing it, but I do care for you. Daire, I may not have said it, but I see you as a daughter. You don't have to, but you can call be dad- or Father- if you want. I don't mind."

Damian clutched Daire's hand, giving his silent approval.

Daire couldn't fight the smile. "Thanks, Father," she whispered.

The little family had another group hug.

"Aw!" A fourth body slammed against them, on the other side of Damian and Daire, squeezing them in a sandwich.

"Grayson!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.4K 472 31
Book1 in Blood of Gotham series What if Damian Al Ghul- Wayne wasn't the only child of Bruce and Talia. Shortly after the supposed death of the Batma...
112K 2.8K 27
Damian is often thought of differently. He is different. Just not in the way they think. Not only was he raised by assassins, but his mother's side...
192K 6.7K 49
Damian and Jason al Ghul grew up in isolation away from the rest of the world, the only company they had was each other and occasionally their mother...
300K 10.5K 40
When Dick Grayson was 13, he joined the Young Justice Team. After they betrayed him, he turned his back on the heroes. Three years later, he was recr...