Love Me Justly

By moviegeek120

Adla, a young policewoman, forms an uncommon bond with the journalist Leah. Both being guided by their own be... More

Author's Note / Introduction
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part IX

Part IV

1K 60 57
By moviegeek120

Absentmindedly stirring the food, Adla's thoughts went back to what had transpired last night. New Year's Eve had been full of surprises. As much as she tried to forget about it, she kept remembering her talk with Leah...and what had happened after. Still in disbelief of doing something so out of character, the brunette sighed loudly since she hadn't heard from her friend since then.

Granted, it had only been a day but after the Christmas fiasco and already not speaking to each other for a week, every day of not being in contact with each other became harder. She didn't like depending on people, but this was different. She wasn't actually dependent on Leah, like a child needed a parent. It was an undefinable feeling of wanting to be around her at all times; which was unusual in itself since Adla was an introvert and needed a lot of time to herself.

The young woman flinched when she heard her doorbell ring. She wasn't expecting anyone today. Quickly jogging to the door so the pan in the kitchen wouldn't be unattended for too long, Adla flung open the door and saw the blonde whom she had been thinking about standing in the hallway.

"Hey," Adla gasped with surprise.

"Hi, I know it's late but I brought pizza," Leah smiled and held up the two cartons that were from Adla's favorite pizza place.

"I'm actually cooking some dinner right now," the policewoman explained still overcome with slight astonishment her friend had shown up unexpectedly.

"Oh," Leah's face fell.

"But thank you!" Adla added quickly. "I can eat pizza at any time of the day so it won't go to waste. Come in, please. It's freezing outside."

"Thanks," Leah answered quietly.

"Let's go into the kitchen before the pan is going up in flames," Adla suggested and was followed by Leah immediately.

"What are you making?" The journalist asked as Adla stood in front of the stove again.

"Just some rice and vegetables. Not as delicious as pizza obviously," Adla answered with a little smile.

She watched as Leah leaned against the kitchen counter next to the stove. Their eyes met for a second before the older one refocused on the cooking. She could feel Leah's eyes still lingering on her though. For some reason, her nerves flared up. She wanted to go first and ease the awkwardness, but her mouth felt dry and nothing came out.

"About last night-" Leah was the one to speak up first, or at least tried to.

"I'm sorry," Adla interrupted quickly and looked at her friend again. Leah's eyebrows lifted in what appeared to be surprise. "I never should've done it. To be honest, I don't even know what got into me," the brunette continued.

"You're sorry?" Leah questioned in a cautious tone.

"Yeah, of course," Adla sighed deeply and watched the steam coming off the pan. "I told you something extremely personal and probably overwhelmed you with my break down. And then...I..."

"You kissed me," the younger girl concluded, which made Adla look up again and lock eyes with her. Adla couldn't tell if Leah was upset with her but she felt guilty for making things so complicated. First with Christmas and her family and now the emotional baggage she brought with her.

"I know," Adla whispered. "Maybe...a part of me just wanted to get it over with and have it be with someone I trust," she added and noticed Leah's facial expression change as soon as she said it. The blonde swallowed lightly, her lips pursed ever so slightly, and the usually joyful green eyes emanated hurt. Completely thrown off by that reaction, Adla panicked internally. "I didn't mean it in a bad way-"

"I got it," Leah exhaled loudly, now being the one to break the eye-contact. "You know that I'm rather free-spirited in that sense and kissed a lot of people in my life. So why not just get it over with by kissing me? Makes sense," she continued and the angry undertone was evident. "I wouldn't care, right?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying," the police officer struggled to answer because seeing Leah this upset felt awful. "That's...why I'm apologizing to you. I wasn't thinking and that's not like me at all. If I would have known that you were going to be this upset...I'm sorry. It was wrong."

"I'm not upset that you kissed me, Adla," Leah blurted out. "I'm upset because you're making it seem like it was something you had to cross off your list and it didn't matter who it was."

"I know I'm not explaining myself well but that's not what I'm saying," Adla sighed in frustration. "Of course it mattered that it was you. I mean, I've never kissed someone else before, so I felt safe in that moment. But that doesn't give me the right to act on whatever turmoil I felt and risk our friendship."

This time Leah didn't reply. Running her fingers through her hair, it was clear that the anger was subsiding and being replaced with desperation. Adla used the moment to stir the food before it burned as both fell silent for a little while.

"I'm sorry, too," Leah said a lot softer now. "And I understand. You were vulnerable and it meant a lot that you opened up to me yesterday. I don't know what it must feel like, to share something you've kept to yourself for such a long time. Honestly, if you felt safe enough to tell me that and share something as important as your first kiss with me afterwards, it's not my place to judge why you did it."

Hearing the words of genuine sympathy and understanding, Adla's tension dissolved slowly.

"I guess...it just hurt a little to think that you assumed I wouldn't care," Leah added even quieter. "But I understand what you're saying now. And I didn't mean to get angry."

"No, you have a right to be angry," Adla answered swiftly. "I completely ignored you after dragging you to Christmas from hell and then I overwhelm you with all my baggage-"

"You don't overwhelm me," the journalist interjected vehemently and gently grabbed Adla's arm in the process. "Please, don't even think like that. I'm very happy that you feel comfortable with me to talk about things that are uncomfortable. Don't...retreat again. It took me long enough to get you outside of your little shell," Leah smiled for the first time and Adla couldn't help but reciprocate. She felt goosebumps on her arm where Leah's fingers were softly lingering.

"I won't," Adla reassured sincerely. "Leah, I don't want things to change between us. Truthfully, I've never...felt this connected to someone and I don't want to mess this up."

It was still difficult for Adla to talk about her feelings but ever since she had met Leah, she made an effort. For the first time, it was important to her that Leah understood where she was coming from and how she felt. As draining as it felt with other people, it didn't in this case. Yes, it was hard to do for her but she did it willingly and gladly whenever she saw that they got closer because of it.

Leah didn't reply. The younger one pulled back her hand from Adla's arm, yet meeting the officer's gaze. Adla had always wanted the ability to read minds. First, because it would come in handy for work. But also because she spent a lot of time in her head and wondered what other people thought of all day. The casual curiosity was one thing, however in this moment, she had never wanted that ability more.

The emerald orbs were focusing intently and while Adla usually felt uncomfortable being looked at so intensely, she tried to figure out what Leah was mulling over. Obviously, it didn't work because Adla didn't have supernatural powers, but she watched the blonde's eyes dipping down to her lips before biting her own and sighing loudly.

"I don't want things to change either," Leah finally reciprocated after what seemed like an eternity. "Let's just leave the holidays behind us and get back to normal."

"That sounds perfect," Adla responded filled with relief. "But before we leave the holidays behind us, I completely forgot something."

Taking the pan off the stove, Adla rushed into her room and returned with a big bag.

"We didn't get to exchange gifts but Merry Christmas," the taller girl said with a smile and handed Leah the gift. Seeing her friend's genuine joy made all the complications of the last week worth it. Unlike herself, Leah wasn't very delicate in opening the gift and ripped up the wrapping paper.

"What..." Leah whispered more to herself once she realized what the present was. Adla had arranged several picture frames, all containing articles Leah had written in the past for her college newspaper. Thanks to Dani, she had found a way to get those articles and craft them into one artwork.

"You're always so hard on yourself when it comes to your writing," Adla explained the thought behind her gift. "I know you want to make the page so badly, but you have made the page plenty of times before and you will again. This is just a little reminder that what you do is never lost. It might feel like it when you're chasing the next achievement, but you've done so much. Sometimes we all need to take a moment to appreciate the things we have achieved already."

As she spoke, she noticed that Leah wasn't looking at her but instead staring at the gift. And even in the moments afterwards, the thoughtful journalist stayed silent. Adla grew anxious.

"Do...you like it?" The brunette asked softly.

"Can I give you a hug?" Leah laughed gently and finally looked up again. The moment she did, Adla noticed a shimmering layer of tears dwelling in the green eyes.

"Of course," Adla replied with a smile and saw Leah carefully putting down the gift on the counter before wrapping her arms around Adla's neck.

It was strange but Leah was the first person where Adla actually looked forward to being physically close to them. Whenever they hugged, or Leah shared moment of casual intimacy with her like holding her hand or touching her arm like before, Adla savored the feeling. It was the opposite effect to her usual reaction of tension whenever she had to be close to people she didn't know that well. Adla could feel her body relax while gently letting her hands linger on the other girl's back.

"Thank you," Leah whispered and Adla sensed a shiver going through her body; but a good one. It almost made her physically flinch, but she was thankful her body didn't.

"You're welcome," she answered full of sincerity and closed her eyes for a moment. She felt Leah turning her head slightly inward, snuggling Adla's neck for a brief moment while exhaling deeply. The contact of Leah's warm breath against her neck, sent the same shiver down Adla's body but twice as intensely. Before her body had another chance to react, Leah pulled away and quickly wiped a tear from her eyes.

"I didn't mean to make you cry," Adla said softly and sensed her cheeks being flushed.

"I'm crying because now I can't give you my crappy gift in comparison to this," Leah laughed through her happy tears to break the ice. "You made me this thoughtful gift and I just got you a leather jacket because I thought you would look hot in it," she added with an even bigger laugh.

"It's not a competition," Adla joined in her laughter. "I'm sure I'm going to love it."

"We'll see," Leah mumbled, her focus back on the picture frames with her articles. "But you're right. I should be able to appreciate where I came from. It's all a journey and there's no rush."

"Exactly," Adla nodded.

"I really missed this," the blonde smiled softly. "You can't do this to me again, okay? Not talking to me for a week was just rude," she added with a grin.

"I won't do it again," Adla replied. "We probably have some things to catch up on."

"Absolutely, but it's late and I know you're working early shift tomorrow," Leah said whereas Adla was surprised her friend remembered her work schedule. "How about we go out tomorrow? We'll have a few drinks and catch up on everything."

"I would love to but..." Adla hesitated, her eyes dropping to the floor. "I'm actually going out with Aiden tomorrow," she confessed quietly.

"Right," Leah cleared her throat. "The date. I forgot but...it's finally happening after all, huh? What...I mean...how do you feel?"

"Honestly, it feels strange," the brunette shook her head mildly.

"How so?" Leah wondered evidently intrigued.

"He's my oldest friend," Adla attempted to explain what she felt. "I've known him basically all my life. We've probably had dinner hundreds of times but now because it's a 'date', I'm supposed to feel differently all of a sudden? I don't know how this stuff works. How do I know if something has changed or what I feel isn't just because I care about him so much?"

"Are you saying that you're not sure if your feelings for him are romantic?" The journalist questioned carefully. "Or are you scared that they won't become romantic and you'll end up hurting his feelings?"

"I don't know," Adla sighed desperately. "I definitely don't want to hurt him. He's been the only constant friend in my life. There's no denying that I love him, but..."

"You're not in love with him?"

"Yeah, but that would be silly because we haven't explored that so how would I really know, right?" The older one asked and noticed her friend looking somewhat uncomfortable. "What? Am I being stupid? I told you I don't have experience-"

"No, no," Leah appeased instantly. "It's not that. I think you're right. Maybe it's too early to determine if you could love him in a different way. Feelings develop over time and you're very used to seeing him one way. I think the more important question is, do you want to?" She asked and Adla furrowed her eyebrows. "Or do you feel obligated to because you care about him so much?"

There was no reproach or judgment in Leah's question, but it struck Adla.

"A little bit of both to be completely honest," she admitted with discomfort. "I know it's not ideal but there's a part of me that thinks, this is what's supposed to be. Most people would love to have someone like him in their life. He's everything you could want in a boyfriend."

"But is he what you want?" Leah pressed but her gentle tone made sure not to offend Adla.

"I guess I'll find out," Adla answered honestly. "I'm willing to see where it goes. I think I'm ready."

"Okay," Leah nodded lightly. "That's...good. I'm happy to hear that. He seems like a nice guy."

"He is."

"Well, then he deserves to be your first date, I guess," Leah smiled with hesitation. "Too bad I stole your first kiss from him," she added with a smirk.

"You didn't steal anything," Adla rolled her eyes playfully. "I kissed you, not the other way around."

"Oh yeah, I remember," Leah chuckled as Adla felt her cheeks burning up once more. "Was it everything you ever dreamed?" The blonde was clearly teasing now.

"Sure, I always thought I'd have my first kiss in my twenties, after breaking down in full tears and making a fool of myself," the brunette shot back but enjoyed their banter. She never would have thought they'd be able to joke about what had happened so quickly.

"See, it's all a matter of perspective," Leah shrugged.

"How so?"

"You could see it in the way you just described it," Leah grabbed a small carotte from the frying pan and took a bite while answering. "Or, you can say that you had your first kiss once you were ready. New Year's Eve, by the water with fireworks and after a cathartic conversation that made you realize you aren't incapable of sharing intimacy with others. Some might say that's actually quite romantic."

Hearing Leah's version of their kiss left Adla without a retort this time. Everything she described was true but...did Leah think it was romantic? Knowing how playful her friend was, she assumed it was another attempt to fluster her which worked. All Adla was able to do was smile shyly and hope the red tint on her cheeks would dissipate quickly. She met Leah's eyes and the amount of warmth and comfort in them made Adla's heart beat irregularly.

Their conversation didn't end there but they decided to switch to lighter topics and Leah stayed for dinner. Since Adla did have to get up very early for work, they made plans to hang out the day after tomorrow. After her date with Aiden, Adla was sure she would need to talk to someone and there wasn't someone who understood her better than Leah.

-

Adla had received a text message from Leah that she was out with Dani. Although they had made plans to meet up, they hadn't been specific. However, Adla had thought of something else than clubbing. She was a bit surprised to get a message from her friend asking if she wanted to come out to one of the most known nightclubs in the city.

Even though it wasn't what she had expected, Adla wanted to see Leah and therefore decided to go. Once she was inside the stuffy club, she almost regretted it. It had been a long day at work and after taking a nap, she wasn't used to going out past midnight when she had to be back at work in a couple of hours. It took quite some time to find Leah and Dani but eventually she did.

Dani gave her a quick hug and then got out of the way. Leah flung her arms around Adla and it didn't take much to see that the blonde had had a lot to drink already.

"Whoa, easy there," Adla giggled because she almost fell over. "How are you?" She had to scream because the music was deafening.

"I'm perfect!" Leah said full of exuberance. "Even better now that you're here."

"That's nice to hear. What are you drinking?"

"I don't know, to be honest," the journalist laughed. "The bartender said what it was, but I forgot. He was staring at my boobs and I caught him, so I didn't have to pay."

"How chivalrous," Adla chuckled and felt Leah playfully slapping her shoulder.

"Not everyone can be a knight and shining armor like Aiden," Leah said and rolled her eyes while downing the rest of her glass. "What do you want? I'm going to the bar. Then you can tell me all about your date."

"I can't drink," Adla shook her head. "I have to be back at work in a few hours."

"Alright, I'll get you a mocktail," the blonde slurred her words and disappeared into the crowd.

Adla was a little concerned. She had seen Leah drunk before but perhaps not this intoxicated. Dani introduced her to her boyfriend Mike, who seemed very nice. The two love-birds vanished to have some alone time once Leah was back with drinks. Not just two drinks but four.

"One mocktail for you," Leah nearly spilled half the beverage while trying to set them down on the table. "And three cocktails for me."

"Three?"

"The bartender totally wants me," she smirked and began drinking the first glass. "But let's get to you first. How was yesterday? The long-awaited date?"

"It was good," Adla responded neutrally. "We had dinner and talked just like we always do. It wasn't as awkward as I had anticipated. And we agreed to go slow and see where it goes. No pressure."

"Did he kiss you?" Leah blurted out.

"What? No," the policewoman replied. "Like I said, we're taking it slow to see what happens."

"Isn't that...unnecessary if you have known each other for such a long time?" The journalist wondered and Adla knew her friend not to have a filter at times. The alcohol definitely enhanced it. "I mean, what's the difference then between dating and just hanging out like before?"

"I don't know," Adla shrugged. "It was our first date so I'm sure things will progress once it feels right."

"Or maybe you're just not into him," Leah mumbled under breath.

"What?"

"Nothing," the young woman with light hair smiled widely. "I think it's great that you're trying new things, honestly. But since this seems to be a slow-burn, I think you need to help me out in the meantime."

"Okay," Adla said confused.

"I'm feeling a little...wild tonight," Leah said unexpectedly and stepped closer to Adla, so she didn't have to scream as loud. With their faces so close to each other, the police officer could smell the heavy alcohol in Leah's breath. "It's been a while for me and while I enjoy a slow-burn for you, I need more of a...one-night-wildfire," the blonde continued as Adla gulped.

"I have two contestants. Number one, the bartender, duh," Leah kept looking intently at Adla although her eyes were glazed over. "He just made it very clear that he wants to take me home. Number two is a guy that I saw once before in another club. Also, very cute but I don't want to continuously run into him if I go with him, you know?"

"Are you...sure you're clear enough to do that?" Adla said very carefully because she didn't want to upset her friend who was clearly uninhibited moreso than usual.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you're drinking pretty heavily tonight and maybe that's not the best condition to be in before hooking up with someone?" The brunette tried to remain somewhat neutral.

"Listen, I'm an adult and I can do whatever and whoever I please," Leah shot back.

"I'm not saying you can't, but you can't even walk straight," the older one returned more firmly.

"Well, it's good thing I just have to lay down then," Leah eyes were glaring at her friend now.

"Leah," Adla sighed in frustration. "I'm just concerned, that's all."

"I invited you as my friend, not an officer," the blonde snorted progressively angrier. "I can take care of myself."

"Maybe you can but maybe you can't and I'm not willing to risk the latter," Adla replied, her voice oozing with concern.

"Out of everyone, I didn't think you were going to be so judgmental," Leah came to a different conclusion regarding Adla's behavior.

"I'm not being judgmental, Leah. All I'm saying is, if I were a guy, I wouldn't be comfortable taking someone home who's as intoxicated as you are," Adla attempted another way of explaining her attitude.

"If you were a guy?" Leah slurred and her lips formed a smile that didn't look like a happy one.

"Yeah."

"Because a girl couldn't take me home, right?" The blonde's words grew sharper again, as did her eyes.

"What?" Adla said bewildered.

"What if it was girl who tried to take me home?"

"It's...the same thing," the young officer answered tentatively. Not because she was unsure about her answer but unsure of where Leah was going with the conversation.

"Really? So it's just that I'm drunk," Leah kept firing her questions. "It wouldn't be wrong for me to hook up with a girl if I was sober?"

Adla was beyond confused now. What was Leah asking her? Was she asking her if she was homophobic?

"Wow, you're hesitating," Leah gasped and took another big gulp from her drink.

"I don't even know what you're asking me right now," Adla burst out exasperatedly.

"Forget it," Leah shook her head before rubbing her temples as if she was having a headache. "I'm just wondering why you're against me hooking up with someone?"

"I'm not," the brunette sighed. "But I think it's reasonable to ask whether or not you can consent when you've had a few drinks."

"That's the only reason why?" Leah's anger had apparently subsided because her voice was gentler this time. As Adla nodded, Leah took a very deep breath before meeting the brown-eyed's gaze. "I know what I want. But sometimes...you can't have what you want. So, it's easier to have something else. That doesn't mean you don't want it though....just not as much as what you really want."

"I'm...afraid I'm not following," Adla admitted because Leah was rambling and slurring at the same, on top of speaking in hyperbole.

"Probably for the best," Leah mumbled and drank the rest of her glass. "I'm going to the bathroom. I'll be right back."

"I can come with you," Adla offered but Leah quickly shut her down.

"I'm fine," the blonde said before once more vanishing in the crowd.

Leah was a whirlwind for the next two hours, although she wasn't drinking anymore, the alcohol intake from before was enough to keep her fueled. Thankfully the bartender had enough sense to see what was happening. He even offered to call a taxi once Leah started falling asleep at the counter. Since Adla was sober, she immediately offered to drive them home.

Not even a minute into the car ride, Leah was slumbering. It took Mike, Dani and Adla to get the journalist up the stairs of the apartment complex and into her own bed. Once there, Mike and Dani retreated to Dani's room which left Adla with a sleeping Leah. Carefully draping the covers over her friend, she was about to get back up when she suddenly felt a hand grabbing hers.

"Wait," Leah mumbled and slowly opened her eyes.

"It's okay, go to sleep," Adla said gently but the blonde didn't let go of her hand.

"I'm sorry," the younger girl cleared her throat. "Please, sit."

"Sorry for what?" Adla wondered but complied by sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Being such a bitch to you before," Leah's words were astonishingly coherent. "I shouldn't have acted that way."

"You are very scary when you're angry," the police officer smiled. "But you seem a lot better now."

"I get drunk quickly but thankfully I sober up quickly as well," Leah said. "It doesn't happen often but sometimes alcohol unleashes my wrath."

"It's alright," Adla appeased swiftly. "I didn't handle the situation well either. Honestly, I didn't mean to come off controlling or judgmental and I'm sorry that I did. It's just...when it comes to topics like consent or being taken advantage of...I may get a little overly sensitive."

"I know," Leah whispered and gently squeezed Adla's hand which she was still holding.

"That doesn't mean I judge you or think negatively of you, I want you to know that," Adla emphasized because she didn't want Leah to feel that way at all. Their eyes connected and the little smile on Leah's face reassured Adla that she understood.

"I don't want to keep fighting," Leah whispered sweetly.

"Me neither," Adla agreed and smiled.

"Can I have a hug?" The blonde asked and pouted which wasn't even necessary because Adla would have hugged her without the puppy-dog-expression.

"Of course," the slightly older one bent down so Leah wouldn't have to get up and felt herself being embraced tightly.

Once again, Adla felt relaxation wash over her and she couldn't tell what it was that made her feel this at ease. Closing her eyes for a moment, she didn't want her friend to stay up any longer because of her. Therefore, she pulled back but immediately felt Leah holding on to the back of her jacket so she wouldn't stand up.

"Why don't you sleep here?" Leah asked with the same puppy-dog-eyes.

"I can't," Adla shook her head instantly. "I need to be back at work in like an hour."

"Then what's the point of driving home?" The California native had learned her way around Chicago. "You're way closer to the station here. Please? Consider it a peace offering."

"I don't know," Adla's resistance crumbled.

"Don't make me beg, because I will," Leah laughed softly. "But I think I've humiliated myself enough for one night."

"Alright," the brunette caved and saw Leah starting to move. "No, stay. I'll take the other side."

Getting up, Adla took off her shoes and jacket to get somewhat comfortable even if she wasn't going to sleep. Laying down and resting up sounded more appealing than driving home just to drive back to the station. She noticed Leah had rolled on to her side to face her. Following her example, Adla did the same and was lying on her side, not noticing how close they were.

"Why don't you call in sick at work and just sleep?" Leah suggested and the tone of her voice was surprisingly concerned.

"I can't do that," Adla objected but felt her body getting heavier. "We're understaffed as it is, and I can't leave them hanging. Someone has to pick up my shift then and that's not fair."

"You look tired though," Leah returned tenderly.

"I always look tired," the brunette laughed softly, noticing the genuine care in her friend's eyes who didn't disagree with her assertion. They fell silent for a few moments as Adla's eyes were slowly but surely closing for longer periods of time.

"It doesn't have to be this hard, you know?" Leah's voice was only a whisper now.

"What?" Adla questioned while keeping her eyes closed.

"Life," the journalist answered with the most tender smile Adla had ever seen once she had opened her eyes again.

"It's not?"

"No," the journalist breathed.

"You make it a little easier," Adla suddenly heard herself saying before she had a chance to think.

It was the truth. But it was also quite a heartfelt statement to make in a rather intimate moment like this. Perhaps it was her naiveté when it came to relationships that she wasn't really sure what was happening. She didn't know what was considered crossing the line of friendship.

Looking at Leah, she noticed a change in her facial expression. It almost scared her how intently she watched Leah in order to know what the other girl felt. Leah's smile faded quickly after Adla's admission. For a lack of a better word, she looked perplexed. The green eyes dropped down to Adla's lips for second before coming back up. Leah then closed her eyes, took a very deep, audible breath before smiling again. She didn't say anything. but she didn't have to.

Instead, her hand lifted slowly and Adla watched the delicate fingers nearing her face before very softly stroking back a strand of hair. Leah was moving slow enough so Adla had time to protest if she felt uncomfortable. She didn't. It was quite the opposite. Her eyes closed once more in tranquility. Therefore, Leah stroked the thick brown hair once more before asking: "Is this okay?" She needed to make sure.

"Yeah," Adla whispered without opening her eyes but enjoying the tender touch. She couldn't remember the last time someone had stroked her hair. Perhaps no one had ever done it. As unfamiliar as it felt, the effect wasn't as expected. It felt normal and comfortable. She had never thought she had missed out by being reclusive but maybe she had been wrong. As Leah continued softly brushing her hair, Adla had a hard time staying awake but opened her eyes now so she wouldn't fall asleep.

"You can sleep for half an hour and I'll wake you up," Leah proposed, obviously noticing what was going on.

"You know you're going to fall asleep, too," Adla grinned in response.

"Maybe," Leah soft giggle made Adla laugh as well.

It was instinctual but Adla's hand reached up, lightly putting pressure on Leah's arm so it would rest on the bed instead of being held up in the air. At first, Leah nearly pulled away because she presumably thought that's what Adla wanted. When she realized the brunette was trying to make her comfortable, but didn't want her to stop, a smile appeared on the blonde's lips again.

Adla's hand kept resting on Leah's arm, which was perhaps the biggest step the policewoman had taken in terms of actively touching Leah on her own, not in reciprocation like a hug. It was the little things that made Adla aware of how quickly things were changing. It was a welcome change; perhaps not an expected one, but that didn't make it any less enjoyable.

---------

A/N: I know I have said this many times before, but I just want to thank everyone who's reading the story. As it is still new to me, I appreciate every single comment and feedback. I know it's baby steps with these characters but the next one will ramp it up a bit. Thank you all very much and enjoy your Sunday - Jazmin

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

177 29 20
"Love Should Never Mean Having To Live In Fear." Aleah loves herself for who she is, but will the rest of the world? Who will stay by her side when...
2.7K 350 33
Leah thought her life had been turned upside down when she ran off with the town bad boy to live at the edge of a dusty county road. But when he leav...
91.7K 3.9K 23
Jessie takes a job as a doctor's assistant for writing inspiration. Trying to run away from her demons, can she allow herself to love when sparks beg...
34.5K 920 46
Indi, an aspiring artist and the daughter of one of the best baseball players of all time, is in her junior year of high school. She's always stresse...