High Hopes|✔

By TheOfficialSinner

In which billionaire Levi Morterez, meets small-town waitress Ophelia Collins, and must pull out all the stop... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33😏
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 13

150K 5.5K 2.6K
By TheOfficialSinner

L E V I ' S  P O V

I entered the diner and immediately felt the prying stares of people as I walked towards the first employee which just so happened to be a young woman.

She was average looking with her crooked nose and thin lips. She looked around Ophelia's age and was quite short in height. Her hair was dark brown in colour and complimented the little curves she had as it flowed down her back.

She smiled widely as she spotted me, quickly getting off of her phone as she smacked her lips together.

I stood right in front of her as I ensured to keep my distance, "Would you mind telling me where the manager's office is?" I inquired.

"Sure, it's right over there." She pointed to a brown door to my right.

I gave her a small nod at her tolerable professionalism, and afterward, walked off to the door.

I fixed my suit before knocking on the door and impatiently waiting. I was never one to knock and wait for anyone but since this obviously wasn't my establishment and I could tolerate a few seconds of waiting just for Ophelia, I stood there and did just that.

I heard a bored answer from behind the door and took that as a note to come in.

Twisting the knob and giving the door a push, I'm greeted with the red-headed lady that I had seen only once before.

"Mr. Morterez, s-such a pleasant surprise." She blubbered. "Is there anything you'd like? A meal maybe, or even a" I raised one hand up to stop her from her pointless speaking.

"This visit isn't casual." I tucked my hands in my pocket as I took a seat in front of her desk. "I'm here to talk about one of your employees." I said.

She rounded the desk, "Is there something wrong?" She asked. "Who it is? I swear, I'll fire th—" I raised my hand again because she really talked too much.

"That won't be needed. It's about Ophelia." I said.

"She's just always a problem, I'll take care of her, sir. I assure you." She stated matter-of-factly.

I rolled my eyes at her ignorance, "With little due respect, if you would just let me continue without interrupting me, this process would be much quicker." I unclipped my cufflinks.

"Y-Yes sir, I apologise." She apologised with a solemn expression on her face.

"Now, I would hope that you are aware of the legal rights of employees in both the public and private sector." She simply nodded her head slowly, giving me the chance to continue. "And that all employees should be treated fairly and equally." She nodded her head again.

"Now that I'm aware that you know all of this, could I please see Ophelia's file? With your permission of course." I added on.

The panic was clear on her face as she spoke, "I'm s-sorry sir, but I-I don't have it here." She said, "But I can fill you in on the fact that Ophelia is perfectly fine with her working conditions. She just loves to help out." She smiled nervously at me.

"That doesn't make it any less wrong. I can't order you to stop making her work overtime since she's paid for it" I stopped once I saw the expression on her face.

This made me sit up in the chair, She is paid for it, right?" I seethed.

"Um, as I-I said before, she likes to help out as much a-as she can, even if it's past midnig" She snapped her mouth shut, realising her mistake as I sprung from the chair.

"Midnight?" I nearly shouted. "She works past midnight without pay?" I gritted out through my teeth.

"I-I..." She cowards backward.

"No." I walked towards the door. "This is what's going to happen. You will update that goddamn file with the minimum of seven dollars an hour and 12 hours a day. The fucking time everyone in here works. At the end of the week, that's four twenty a week that should be transferred professionally to her account. If she has to work overtime, she shall be paid for it and all the other privileges everyone has, she will too. You are not to communicate or even look at her if it is not work related. Am I understood?" I pointed my finger at her as I calmed my breathing.

"Y-Y-Yes, sir." With that, I turned and left the building.

I shook my head as I remembered the events that took place yesterday. It was now Monday and I was back from work early to get ready for later tonight.

Gerald was sent to get Ophelia.

Just as the thought crossed my mind, I heard the door open.

I walked into the front room to see Ophelia waving at someone just as she closed the door.

She turned around and jumped as she saw me there. She didn't look as tired as usual and that made an internal smile appear on my lips.

"Oh, good evening," She greeted and pulled down her dress.

"How was your day?" I pushed my hands in my pocket.

"It was great," A smile came to her face as she thought about it.

I nodded my head, "Someone will be here in a minute to help you with your makeup." I told her.

A blush appeared on her face.

"Not that you need it or anything." I quickly added on. "I-I just thought that—" I stopped my blabbering once I heard the sweet sound of her giggles fill the room.

I smiled crookedly at her as I felt a small heat on my cheeks.

"I-I'll be upstairs." She whispered as she walked past me.

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion as I looked at the space separating her neck from her shoulder.

I gently grabbed her wrist pulling her back. "What happened to your neck?" Her eyes widened.

She quickly covered it.

It was a large red mark but it was too defined to be a bruise. It had a definite shape, almost as if it came from an object. Before she covered it, I spotted little holes to which her olive skin peaked through, giving me the impression that it was maybe an... iron?

"N-Nothing," She stuttered. "Just burnt myself stupidly this morning." She laughed it off.

I didn't believe it for a second, but I let it go. Especially when she wasn't as shy as usual tonight.

------

"Levi! Hurry and bring you ass down hay!" That familiar accent vibrated my entire house.

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my lower waist while grabbing another to dry my dripping wet hair.

I barely understood a word she said due to that accent that she upheld. Whenever she yelled or was angry, she would speak so fast that I understood absolutely nothing she said.

Heading downstairs, I ran my hand through my damp hair and was met with dark brown eyes that belonged to Shalissa. She had beautiful chocolate colored-skin along with blue and black braids on her head which were done in a bun. Her little hairs were laid down on her forehead and she wore a high-waisted jeans pants and a blue crop top along with knee-high boots.

She went to college with my brother after she moved here from Barbados, and yet, she still managed to act the same way.

She rolled her eyes when she saw me.

"English, please," I teased as I folded my arms across my naked chest.

She sucked her teeth at me. She knew that anyone barely understood how she spoke. Just imagining her and her friends communicating back in Barbados made my head hurt.

"Part she is?" She ignored my teasing. I raised an eyebrow in question.

"Where is she?" She spoke slowly to ensure that I understood. "Elijah told me that someone here needed a little help with makeup." She raised her makeup kit.

"How do you know it isn't me?" I smirked as I step closer.

She looked at me closely before shoving me aside and muttering, "Move your ass from outta my way, boy."

I gasped in fake horror playfully. If it's one line that I grew accustomed to, was that colorful line right there.

"Put some damn clothes on!" She shouted as she disappeared around the corner.

"Third door on the right!" I shouted after her.

I shook my head with a small smile playing on my lips.

She sure was something else. I could definitely understand why my brother totally liked her.

He never came flat out and said it but it was obvious due to their constant flirting.

She was fun, outgoing, and absolutely not afraid to say what was on her mind. No one dared to cross her path because that girl could fight.

Damn can that girl fight.

I just hoped that my brother could handle her because she was definitely a handful. He would surely have to put a leash on her.

Heading upstairs, I searched my drawer for what to wear tonight. For any other date, the girl would want an expensive dinner and shit. I knew that Ophelia would be pleased with that but it wouldn't be her setting and I wanted her to feel extremely comfortable.

With that thought, I pulled out a white dress shirt and pants to match. I decided to just leave the suit jacket because it was a bit too formal.

Running a little gel through my hair, I looked at myself in the mirror.

I ran my hand along my jaw feeling the prickly stubble from my shave less than a few minutes ago.

Picking up my wallet and putting on a pair of shoes, I walked out of my bedroom after spraying on some cologne.

Just as I arrived downstairs, my phone rang.

"Speak," I said.

"Levi, Levi, Levi..." My brother taunted on the other end of the line. A smile broke out on my face. "I can practically smell the shit in your pants from here. Are you that nervous?"

I chuckled and shook my head as I called Gerald since Ophelia should be done any moment now.

"I'm not, jackass," I said. I hoped he couldn't catch the nervousness that was surely in my voice.

I heard him tsks on the other side of the line and just as I heard him let out a breath to speak, I also heard Shalissa.

"She's ready." She echoed loudly.

Her voice could give me a headache.

"Is Shalissa still there?" My brother spoke.

"She is," I confirmed.

I could practically hear the smirk on his face. "Put her fine ass on the phone. You're boring me now." He ordered.

I rolled my eyes, "If you two wan—" I removed the phone from my ear slowly as I exhaled a breath of carbon dioxide when I saw Ophelia appear at the top of the staircase after Shalissa had already descended.

Like just out of a Cinderella movie, she gracefully walked down the stairs and through the light shade of makeup, I saw the familiar pink coat her cheeks.

Dressed in a beautiful white dress that hung to her every curve like its life depended on it, her scrupulous breasts peeked out from the top of her dress as she descended the stairs wearing matching white five-inch heels. She bit her lip distractedly as she watched her feet slightly wobble but she quickly regained her stance as she smiled proudly at herself.

Her hair had been straightened which I knew had to take a while since her curls were a force to be reckoned with. It was done nicely to flow to be back of her head.

Just before she made it to the last step, I slightly snapped out of my trance as I foolishly fumbled with my phone, completely forgetting that Elijah was still on the other end.

After grabbing a good grip on it, I threw it to Shalissa in which she caught expertly and placed it to her ear with a roll of her eyes already knowing who it is.

Ophelia finally emerged in front of me and I let out a quiet breath at her beauty.

"I-I know you said nothing too fancy a-and I told Shalissa but she kept insisting and insisting and she's a very persuasive person a—" I cut off her rambling.

"Ophelia?"

"Yes?"

"You look absolutely gorgeous." I complimented honestly.

She looked down and smiles, "Thank you."

Extending my arm out to her, she shyly took it and we begin walking out the door.

"Thanks, Shalissa!" I shouted as I closed the door.

I opened the door for Ophelia as she stepped into the limousine, her innocent eyes popping out of their sockets at the sight of it.

Gerald rolled down the compartment separating us from him and began to speak, "Good evening ma'am, I will be your driver for today." He smiled at her.

"Please, call me Ophelia." She smiled back politely. "—Mr..?" She questioned.

"Gerald, ma—" He stated. "Ophelia."

"Thank you, Mr. Gerald,"

"Just Gerald." He chuckled and she smiled cheekily.

I smiled at the exchange and then spook, "Rillion's, please." I told him.

With a small nod, he clicked a button and we were suddenly separated again as the car drove off.

"What's that?" Ophelia blinked up at me.

"It's a restaurant, I hope you're hungry." I smiled. "Would you like anything to drink?"

She nodded slightly, "Do you have any o-orange juice?" She shyly asked. "Wait, is that stupid?" She quietly asked herself.

"I do actually," I said cheekily and a large beautiful smile broke out on her face.

"Really?" I chuckled at her excitement.

I had specifically added it for her but I was not going to say that, making it seem like I was a stalker or something. For the past few weeks that she's been living with me, it was easy to tell that she loved it.

Pouring her a glass, I extended it to her direction in which she nicely took it, and also took a sip.

Placing it in the tiny glass holder, she lapped her legs, the mere action distracting and leaving my mind in a haze as her dress slightly rode up.

I averted my eyes just as her hands mistakenly hit a button on the door which made her jump closer to me.

A tray slowly slid out of its little compartment and Ophelia watched in pure amazement as it was filled with little chips.

Looking at me through her big eyes, I gestured for her take one in which she does.

Just as she picked it up, it slid right back into its place.

"That's so cool." She whispered as she watched it.

Looking at the cracker in her hand, her doe eyes looked at it innocently before successfully cracking it in half and putting it in her mouth.

What utterly surprised me was when she pushed the other half in front of my mouth. Looking directly at her, I opened my mouth to take the chip as she stared straight at me, lips slightly apart and adorned with a dark shade of lipstick.

My lips lightly grazed her fingers, taking the snack from between her fingers.

She pulled back quickly with a dark shade or blush coating her cheeks as she looked away as I chewed, leaving me to wonder if that was too much of a bold move.

-------

"Reservation for Morterez," I said. He had already begun to look through his book before I even stated my name.

Ophelia's eyes wandered from the large chandelier situated in the middle of the large room, to the many rich people who wore suits and dresses as they interacted over their meal.

"Right this way, sir." The old man kindly gestured with his hand for us to follow.

Ophelia found it hard to keep her head straight ahead as she watched all of the people stare at us, with her absentmindedly latching on closer to my side by my arm.

If possible, this made her look even more adorable.

Ophelia looked nervous as we walked past all of the tables and she gazed at the food that was served on the plates. I knew that she had absolutely no idea what was served but we didn't have to worry about that.

When the man walked past all available tables, I watched as her face scrunched up in confusion as the old man opened a door for us at the back of the room.

"Enjoy, sir — ma'am." He bowed his head at both of us.

Ophelia's jaw slightly dropped to the ground as she unlatched herself from around my arm, taking further steps into the room.

It was like another mini house with a kitchen, a bathroom, a sitting area, and even a bedroom. It was decorated with a light blue theme which I knew was Ophelia's favourite colour.

"You like it?" I asked from my position at the door.

"I-I love it, no one's ever done something s-so nice for me before." Her voice trembled as she blinked harshly.

I made my way in front of her, "I-I'm sorry." She tried to smile as she wiped her cheek. " I promised Shalissa I wouldn't smudge her makeup." She said which made me let out a small laugh with her.

"It's really beautiful." She complimented again.

Smiling at her, I held her hand as I led her to the outstretched couch on the western side of the room.

Just as she takes a seat, a waiter who looked around nineteen comes in the private suite.

"Good day, my name is Shiro and I will be your waiter today. What can I get you?" He smiled charmingly.

"The steak deluxe would be fine." We both turned to look at Ophelia.

"And for the beautiful lady?" He not-so-discreetly checked Ophelia from top to bottom.

Glaring daggers at the side of his head, I turned my attention to Ophelia who looked nervous about ordering, "Um, w-what's on the menu?" She questioned.

"Anything you want." I smiled softly at Ophelia.

She bit her lip softly for a moment before a strike of excitement hit her, " Oh! I-Is there chicken alfredo?" She struggled to contain her excitement as she leaned forward in her seat closer, awaiting an answer from the waiter.

The simple action left a pathway straight down to Ophelia's breasts as the waiter's eyes travelled down south.

I saw him swallow before replying, "Y-Yes."

"That would be all." I snapped which made him slightly jump.

He scurried out after taking both of our orders.

I let out a huff and sat back, "So, I know I said this already but I would love to know more about you." I leaned back as I rest my hand at the back of the couch just as she turned to me.

She laughed lightly, "I don't know." She stuck her tongue to the side of her mouth with a thoughtful look. "Well, I was born in Colombia, being half-Colombian and half white." Hm, that explained her natural tanned complexion and also extremely curly hair.

I hummed in response as I poured some champagne in a glass for myself, "Would you like some?" She looked at it and shook her head.

"I-I don't drink." I paused from taking a sip of my own drink before placing it back down on the table.

"Oh! N-No, I'm n-not saying you can't have i-it or anything. N-Not that y-you should care what I think, I— I gently rested my hand on her hand.

"Ophelia, just relax." I chuckled. "You're tense, trust me, it's no problem." I clarified. "I just want you to enjoy yourself, okay?"

Taking a deep breath, she nodded her head hesitantly.

----------

Ophelia tried to suppress a laugh as she covered her mouth with her hand, folding her feet closer to her body.

She had kicked off her heels and managed to gracefully situate herself in the chair so that she could be comfortable.

"I'm not lying; Elijah seriously did that." I clarified with a loud laugh.

"I still can't believe it." She managed to get her breathing back to normal. Taking a deep breath, she scooped up her ice cream and placed it on her tongue giddily, swirling her tongue around the spoon, my eyes zooming in on the action and leaving my throat dry.

Snapping out of it, I checked the time and let out a low whistle, "Whoa, it's getting late, past two." I said.

Her smile disappeared, "Oh." She looked down at her empty bowl as she bit her lip.

"Are you alright?" I stood in front of her as she placed back her heels on.

She forced a smile and tried to walk past me while shaking her head, but I stopped her by standing in front of her again and gazed down at her with a worried expression.

O P H E L I A ' S   P O V

I had such a good time tonight that I didn't want it to end. Excluding the first part, I didn't stutter for the entirety of the date and never laughed so much in my life.

I feared that now that when we returned, it'd be the same as before.

I tried not to give away too much as Levi stared down at me with so much care and worry.

"I-I..." I trailed off.

He caressed my arm with his hand, urging me to continue.

"I um, I was—" I swallowed. "What's going to happen when we get back?" I muttered shyly as I played with his fingers absentmindedly which was by his side.

He watched the action for a short moment before bringing his hand to my cheek, "I don't expect you to act differently or anything just because we went on a date." He assured me as his thumb wiped along my cheek.

"C-Can I tell you something w-without you laughing?" I said as I finally looked up at him, the movement of his thumb stopping.

"Promise." He whispered.

Wrapping my pinky around his, "I-I like you." I said but afterward, cringed at my wording.

I sounded like a little kid.

"Well, can I tell you something without you laughing?" He reciprocated after a moment.

Without waiting for my response, he said, "I like you too."

-------------

I let out a soft yawn as we both entered the house.

"I'm so sleepy." I rubbed my eyes.

I heard Levi chuckling behind me, his laugh is the only thing telling me that he was now right in front of me in the darkroom.

"Did you enjoy yourself?" I felt his hands go on my waist, heating up that small area through my dress.

"Y-Yes." The small proximity was intimidating and unnerving.

In the dark, I saw him slowly leaning in, his other hand going to my cheek.

My breathing picked up as he began caressing the side of my face.

I barely felt his lips brush against mine before the lights switched on causing me to jump back from Levi.

"Well, well, well."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

347K 12.6K 46
Maddison Clark recently transferred to a college closer to her mom. She's new to the San Francisco area. When the social elite, Sebastian E. Lockhart...
746K 43.4K 37
**This book is FREE with a paid bonus short story!** She's always wanted to date a gentleman - so why does she find herself falling for a rogue? *** ...
248K 14.3K 40
She was a miserable poor soul looking for a way to get away from her abusive adoptive family. But her adoptive mother sold her off to a mysterious, m...
62.5M 2.5K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...