The Wolf

By 0takuHime

Nico is a broken kid in all aspects. His parents have left him when he was still young, now he is abused by h... More

Ch. 1: The Transfer Student
Ch. 2: The Real Monster
Ch. 3: Nico: Lost and Found
Ch. 4: Breaking Rules and Making Names
Ch. 5: Alex's Determination
Ch. 6: Broken Ribs and a Full Heart
Ch. 7: Nico's return
Ch. 8: Making Plans
Ch. 9: What are Inhibitions Anyway?
Ch. 10: Alex's Confusion
Ch. 11: Excitement and Promises
Ch. 12: Full Moon
Ch. 13: Leaving
Ch. 14: A mission
Ch. 15: Kidnapped
Ch. 16: Nico gone AWOL
Ch. 17: A Useless Meeting
Ch. 18: My Circumstances
Ch. 19: So It Begins
Ch. 20: Home Sweet Home
Ch. 21: The Battle
Ch. 22: Nico Wakes Up
Ch. 23: Measures to Change
Ch. 24: Alex's POV
Ch. 25: Fateful Encounters
Ch. 26: The Truth and The Struggle
Ch. 27: Help
Ch. 28: Nico?
Ch. 29: Welcome Home
Ch. 30: Festive Troubles
Ch. 31: Introductions
Ch. 32: Making Plans
Ch. 33: Wolf Meets Druid
Ch. 34: Coming Together
Ch. 35: Peace Between Clans
Ch. 36: It's Always Been You
Ch. 37: Alex's Memories
Ch. 38: The Lowest Place On Earth
Ch. 40: The Monochrome Forest and Its Ghosts
Ch. 41: Let's Go to War
Ch. 42: Nyx's Plan
Ch. 43: Sorry, Nico
Ch. 44: The Fall
Ch. 45: Exile
Part Two
Ch. 46: The Traitor
Ch. 47: Numb
Ch. 48: Lost
Ch. 49: Goodnight, Nico
Ch. 50: Wake up, Nico!
Ch. 51: A Deal With the Devil
Ch. 52: No Rest For The Wicked
Ch. 53: A Sealed Deal
Ch. 54: Nyx's Story
Ch. 55: Taking the Plunge
Ch. 56: Become a Monster
Ch. 57: Killing Innocence
Ch. 58: Martyr
Ch. 59: Another Time
Ch. 60: I Want to Live
Ch. 61: Taking The Plunge, Again
Ch. 62: The Most Deserving
Ch. 63: I Love You Most
Ch 64: Weight Lifted
Epilogue

Ch. 39: The Forest for Sinner's Souls

3.3K 147 43
By 0takuHime

~Nico~

The ground rumbles and shakes underneath me. I'm laying down in the dirt, injured. My leg is broken and there are deep cuts all over. To my right, another person is beside me. Blood is pooling around their body and I can only assume that they are dead. I grit my teeth and pull myself off the ground. My ears are ringing as I look around, taking in the scene of carnage.

Bodies are shredded and blood is everywhere. I look up to see the peak of a mountain with black smoke billowing towards the sky. The forest is on fire. All of the bodies' faces are blurred out, so I can't tell friend from foe. My heart trembles at the thought of Alex being one of them, but something tells me he's not. I glance back up at the mountain, that's where I need to be. Something terrible is going to happen if I don't make it in time.

I gasp, jerking awake. My eyes snap open and I look around me. I'm in my bedroom at the Omega Cabin, safe and sound. I put a hand against my beating heart to try and calm it down. That dream was scary. I've been having it for a while now, yet I can never discover where I am, who those people are, or what exactly is so important about getting to the mountain. I think the dream is a remnant of Nyx's curse, left behind to torture me in my sleep.

Feeling calmer, I swing my feet over the side of my bed. I sit at the edge for a long moment, replaying the scenes of the dream in my head. Every time I see that dream I feel gloomy. It's hard to start your day off right when you just dreamed about death and dying. I shake my head and stand up, there's no point in mulling over a stupid nightmare. I can't let Nyx win, after all.

I stumble my way over to the bathroom to prepare myself for the day. The fluorescent lights blind me when I switch them on. I take a moment to stare at myself in the new mirror-- the shards of the broken one have been disposed of. I look different. My black hair looks shiny and my complexion is healthy and tan, rather than sickly and pale. The bags under my eyes remain as well as chapped lips and haunted eyes, but, overall, it's an improvement.

I turn away from my reflection, still not used to the way I look. Somehow, it's like seeing a stranger where I should be. It's weird that my outer appearance is changing so drastically, while inside I'm practically the same Nico. The only thing that is new would be that I'm happier than I have been in a long time. Luca has helped me through countless nightmares and breakdowns, and he always stays by my side even after seeing me at my worst. I need to be strong because I realize I have more than just myself. I've got Luca, Blake, and Alex.

Steam swirls around the room as I turn on the shower. I strip off my pajamas and throw them to the side. My fingers wrap around the pair of silver bands that are around my wrist as I take them off and set them aside. The burn marks caused by the silver start to fade immediately once the hateful substance is removed.

My outward appearance may have changed, but mentally I'm still the same. I'm weak, I know, and the only way to get stronger is to do something like that. I step into the hot stream of liquid. If I can get used to the effects of silver, and I can use magic, then I'll be an asset to the team, rather than an obstruction.

Under the spray of water, my skin bubbles, and burns. I hiss and turn the water toward the cold side. I may not be able to feel the heat very well, but it still affects me as such. My flesh turns red and angry as my super healing comes into effect. I've realized just how inconvenient Nyx's 'gift' is.

When I'm done, I get dressed and head out of the Omega Cabin toward the training field with my silver bands firmly reattached. Blake is waiting in the clearing for me when I arrive. I look around for Kayla, but it appears she's not here yet.

"Hey, Blake," I call out to him as I step into our little area.

Trees surround the clearing and in the middle is a large patch of dirt, upon which we practice drills and sparring with one another. The ground is worn and beaten from use.

Blake looks up at the sound of my voice and smiles. "Hey, Nico, about time you showed up."

I scoff. "I can't be that late. It's not my fault you like to be here at the crack of dawn." I stifle a yawn and stop in front of him.

Blake has changed too. He's become even bigger than he was before. Height wise, I swear he grew at least three inches. His muscles are thicker, rather than lean. He looks like a full-blown Beta wolf.

"So where's Kayla?" I inquire, looking around to see if I missed her somehow.

Blake shrugs his shoulders, his muscles rippling underneath his shirt. "I'm not sure, she hasn't shown up yet. I think we can get started without her, though."

I nod my head and walk over to our equipment. It's weird that Kayla isn't here, she's usually on time. My mind drifts back to last night and Alex's strange behavior and his remark on seeing Kayla. Maybe those two are together right now... in bed. My heart stings with hurt, but I shake my head. No time for dawdling.

"Are you ready?" Blake asks with a taunting grin. He holds his bo staff at the ready.

I smirk and get myself into position, my knees bent and arms holding the weapon firmly. "Are you?" I ask. And with that, we both break into a sort of dance. A battle of back and forth as we collide, attacking and defending effortlessly.

The two of us are so engrossed in training, we don't notice Kayla walk into the clearing and take a seat. I smash Blake in the shoulder and his arm goes slack as it becomes numb. He aims his bo staff for my legs, but I jump over it and plant my feet into his chest, sending him wheeling backward. He stumbles but catches himself just in time to parry my next attack.

The two of us stand still, breathing heavy, glaring at one another, daring the other to give in first. Sweat pours down my back and slicks my forehead, getting into my eyes. The sun has risen higher in the sky and beats down upon us. Our trance is broken as Kayla claps.

"Alright, boys, that's enough," She declares, standing up from her spot and walking between us.

My eyes widen in surprise. "Kayla? When did you-"

"A while ago," She says curtly.

I blink at her brusqueness, shocked. What's up with her? I see her eyes are lined red and look puffy and swollen. Has she been crying? I go to open my mouth, but she cuts me off.

"OK, it's my turn," She states, grabbing the bo staff out of my hands.

I put my hands up defensively and retreat to the outer edge of the clearing to sit in the shade. Kayla and Blake begin to spar, while I rest. I put my hand over the dead earth and whisper a spell. Flowers begin to pop up from the dry soil one by one. I smile as they bloom into beautiful things.

My magic has gotten stronger and it comes so naturally. Sometimes I don't even need to speak a word of power to use my ability. I haven't told that to Luca, though. I don't want him thinking that I'm strange because I'm so different.

Growling, I remove the silver bands from around my wrists so that I may recover before it's my turn once again. I stuff the pair of them inside my pockets. My eyes flick back and forth as I watch Blake and Kayla dance across the training field, locked in a battle of skill and strength. Kayla is both fast and cunning, while Blake is experienced and strong. Watching two opposites go up against one another is truly amazing.

I lean my back against the bark of a tree, the surface rough through the material of my shirt. I take a deep sigh. The sky is a cerulean blue with a scattering of fluffy clouds. A heat wave passed through recently, so it's beginning to warm up. I can't wait for the winter to pass. I'm done with being numb.

~*~*~*~

"Nico," Blake calls out, "Hey, wake up!"

I blink up at Blake, confused. When did I fall asleep? Kayla is drinking from a water bottle a couple of yards away. The sun is heading toward the west now. Just how long was I out for?

"Good, you're awake," Blake confirms.

"Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep like that." My gut ties itself into knots. I'm so stupid! How could I let myself waste time like that? I could've spent that time studying or training with them, but instead, I just lazed about. The spots on my thighs itch for punishment, for the familiar feeling of being sliced open. I swallow down the feeling.

Blake waves his hand dismissively. "Don't worry about it, you needed the rest. What do you say to one more bout?"

My eyes light up with opportunity. "Sounds good, let's do it."

We make our way into the center of the clearing with our bo staffs. Once we're in position, Kayla calls start so that we may proceed. I lunge myself at Blake, ready to initiate the punishment I'm craving. Smack. Dodge. Hit. Smack. Hit. Hit.

Blake easily parries my attacks and send his more powerful ones my way. I pretend like I'm unable to dodge them as I take the full brunt of his attacks. A numbing hit in the shoulder, another one in the leg. Over and over I take the attacks faithfully. Blake jabs his bo staff painfully into my gut, successfully knocking the air out of me. I fly backward and roll across the ground before coming to a stop.

"Nico!" Blake and Kayla call out in unison as they run over to me.

"Oh my Goddess, are you OK?" Kayla inquires, her green eyes dark.

"I'm sorry, Nico, I may have put too much into that last hit," Blake says sheepishly.

"You think?!" Kayla snaps.

I sit up without a sound, clutching my aching stomach. My head is clear now as if that blow whisked away all of the dark, looming thoughts that were over it. "I'm fine," I say through clenched teeth.

"Are you sure?" Blake says worriedly.

I nod my head, standing up from the ground. "It's definitely going to bruise, though. Hahaha." I force a smile onto my face and smack Blake on the back.

Blake heaves a relieved sigh. Kayla, on the other hand, looks at me in suspicion.

"Well, that was fun, but I better get back to the cabin to practice magic with Luca." I start heading back toward the path.

A little way down the path Kayla calls out to me. "Hey, Nico, why did you do that back there?"

I freeze up but quickly regain my composure. "What are you talking about?" I ask lightly.

Kayla has a 'don't BS me' face on. "You purposefully took all of those hits without parrying them."

"I think you have too much faith in me, Kayla." I turn to keep walking, but she stops me again.

"You're not fooling me, Nico. You took those hits when you could've dodged them. I've been watching you and Blake fight for a while now, I'd know. So the real question is, why?" Kayla looks honestly conflicted. She doesn't have a clue in her pretty little head as to why I would want to be hit, to be beaten, to be punished.

"Why, Kayla? Well, it's none of your business, now is it?" I say coolly.

Kayla lifts her chin defiantly. "Yeah? Well, I'm making it my business!"

I step back, surprised by her sudden change. "Why? Because I'm Alex's pitiful little friend? Because I'm your charity case? Why do you insist on being so nice to me? I don't want your kindness!"

"That's not it at all!" Kayla yells back at me.

"Then what is it?" I challenge.

"Goddess," Kayla sighs, "you just don't get it, do you?"

I growl low, feeling irritated. "Can you stop beating around the bushes and spit it out already?"

"I want to be friends with you! I want to know what Alex thinks is so great about you. Why he always chooses you. Why everything he thinks about is you. And I REALLY can't understand what he sees in you when you do stupid shit like that!" She points toward the clearing for emphasis.

"W-What?" I stutter, stepping backward.

"With the way you act, the way you think of yourself, the way you think of others, you're not fit to be with Alex! Do you even know how kind he is, how much he'd go through for you?" Kayla raises her hand high and slaps me across the face sharply.

I taste blood in the corner of my mouth. Deep down I feel a fire building up. How dare she? I jump on her, tackling her to the ground. "What do you know? About me, or about Alex? You're just some outsider who decided to let herself in. You don't know what I've been through, or what I've endured. And you don't know half of Alex's kindness." Kayla's eyes are narrowed in defiance. I can see her jaw working.

Hot, frustrated tears build up at the corners of my eyes. "Don't you think I know, Kayla? By now, that I'm not good enough for Alex, for my mate? I'm nothing. I'm broken and useless. That's why I'm trying so hard to catch up to you guys, but it's impossible," I sob. "I don't want to bring Alex down once he realizes I'm his mate. I know he'll be disappointed enough as it is, but I at least want to stand beside him as an equal.

"I started to date Luca so that Alex could live a happy life with you. I don't want to hurt Alex anymore than I already have. So... so please take care of him, OK?"

Kayla looks completely taken aback by everything I've said. I don't stick around to hear what she has to say next, I know that she's going to agree with me and tell me that I'm unworthy of Alex. I run home to the Omega cabin, ignoring my aching stomach and bruised limbs.

It seems like I've been running forever. I look around me, I should be back at the cabin already. Where am I? Trees surround me on all sides. Did I make a mistake? I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to do so on a straight path.

I turn in a circle trying to decipher any clues or hints as to where I might be, but everything is new and unfamiliar from scents to sights. This must be Nyx's doing.

"Nyx!" I call out, feeling irritated, "what have you done? Where am I?"

Giggling ripples through the trees like a breeze. It's ominous, like ghosts in a horror movie. I swallow over the lump of fear in my throat. I'm stronger now, I'll be able to protect myself.

My eyes dart back and forth between the trees straining for the slightest movement. The leaves rustle behind me. I whip around to face whatever is coming.

"Boo~" Nyx whispers in my ear.

"Ahhhh!" I startle, grabbing my ear and turning to face her.

"Hahaha. Nico the scaredy cat. How ironic." Nyx's void-black eyes hold a malicious glint in them.

I back away from her. All of my nerves are on edge. "What do you want now?" I hiss at her.

"Oh, nothing. Just the usual. Tormenting you for fun." Nyx swirls around me, her black dress twirling around her.

"Haha, very funny. Bring me back home now." We pace around each other like sharks in the water.

"I can't have you ruining my plans, Nico. You insufferable wretch. So, I need you to remain here, in my domain, until that mission you were planning to go on passes." Snow flurries down from the clouds above.

"I won't," I say obstinately.

"You will," Nyx whispers, caressing my cheek.

"I. Will. Not." I seethe.

"Hoho, look at little Nico he thinks that he's all that because of a little training. But in reality, you're nothing, right? Isn't that why you try harder than anyone else? Why you cut yourself in the shower? Why you took that beating from Blake? Because you know you deserved it. Nay, because you wanted it."

My breath catches in my throat. I try to take a step back, but my legs seem to be stuck in place. Her words are poisonous. She's trying to trick me, to pollute my thoughts.

"Is that what you think? That I'm trying to lead you along the path of darkness and hurt you? Oh, no. I'm only giving you what is already here." Nyx taps my chest.

"Lies! I would never want that." My voice trembles.

"Oh, but you did. It felt good, didn't it? You wanted to cut yourself when you realized how much of a disappointment you were, right?" Nyx runs a hand along my thighs. I stiffen under her touch. "And you wanted to suffer for being weak when you let Blake hit you. You can't lie to me, Nico, I see what's in your heart."

Her words flashback to my earlier thoughts when I was fighting with Kayla. She's right. I am self-destructive. I want to suffer. But I'm trying to change. There are people in my life who think that I can and that I deserve to. "You see wrong, Nyx."

Nyx's dark eyes are alight with fury. "Don't tell me what I do and don't see, boy. I know everything about you. From your uncle's beatings to your handsy cousin's sessions. Even those times you fell into despair and used drugs and pain to pull you through. I can help you remember if you need some reminding."

"How?" I breathe. My throat clenches. A cold sweat develops on my brow. I've never told anyone about the things I've done, but she states them simply like she's reading from a grocery list.

"Those needles you injected yourself with, filling you up with poison. Those boys and girls you messed around with, not caring about yourself, or their feelings when you left them. I know each and every dark secret that you want to keep hidden." Nyx runs her hands along my shoulder.

"Stop," I mutter. I close my eyes. This can't be happening.

"How about the time you stole from those stores? Or those people you insulted because you live a shitty life? You're filthy, Nico. As dark as dark can get. But everything you've been dealt is everything you deserve."

"STOP!" I yell. I grab my hair with my fists. I don't want to remember. I want to bury all of my dirty deeds inside of me and just forget about them.

"See? Even you can't bear to listen to all of the things that you've done. I'll leave you here in this forest so you can repent, meanwhile, I'll be playing as you and making friends with everyone."

I open my eyes to look at Nyx. She walks toward the other side of the clearing and a portal appears before her. It shows the golden daylight and familiar sights of home. Weirder still is that I see myself just standing in the middle of the path. My eyes are dull and lifeless.

"I'll be taking over your body for a while. Your soul will remain here until I'm ready to return that which I'm borrowing." Nyx steps through the portal and into my body.

It's strange seeing myself come to life as she takes over. My blue eyes are black for a second before reverting to normal. Nyx smiles and waves cheerfully.

"Bye, Nico, see you later." Nyx laughs maliciously as the portal slowly closes. My feet are unable to move as I watch my only hope of escaping shut right before my eyes.

"Hey, Nico, what're you doing out here?" Alex's voice carries through the portal.

I open my mouth to speak, but no words come out. It's as though they are snatched off of my tongue before I can even voice them. Alex, no! Don't be fooled by that traitor. That's not me. It's Nyx.

"Oh, hey, Alex. What's up?" Nyx's voice, no, my voice, is light and carefree.

The exit closes and all that's left is the monochrome forest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.2K 3.1K 45
Liam Forsythe was not dealt an easy hand. On the day he was born, his dad, family and their entire wolf pack were massacred by a rival. The only reas...
1.3M 51.1K 22
Jordan Patterson has to accept that his number one nemesis is the one he's destined to love for the rest of his immortal life. Ever since childhood...
116K 4.8K 43
Previously know as The lonely Omega. Chance Night is a werewolf, specifically; an omega. He has snow white hair with one vibrant purple eye and one b...
3.8M 159K 42
Book One in Mate Trilogy Sorenson was adopted at a young age, into a family that was abusive. His 'parents' would adopt more and more children and du...