Sinners and Saints

By vheenessa

Olivia Silver is accused of the murder of her husband and strives to gain her freedom and clear her name. She... More

PREFACE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Author's important note: (please read)
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Sinners And Saints II (Sinners and Saints I Epilogue)
The End....but, IT'S NOT OVER YET !!

Chapter 12

526 128 0
By vheenessa

"You should plead guilty."

Olivia had her eyes glued to the man in a really expensive suit in front of her who was supposed to be her lawyer.

She had been in jail for just three days and she already felt her life was coming to an end. She hated that place. She was so terrified of that place. She couldn't stand it, especially since she still had no idea what was going on.

Andrew was dead.

For some reason, a part of her wanted those words to comfort her for all he had put her through but she couldn't help but get bothered by it. In as much as Andrew was abusive, she never really imagined him dead especially since everyone in the continent thought she was responsible. It was the first thing she found out the moment she got to the station, the way everyone talked about it and looked at her.

"If you plead guilty, I could find a way to get the judge to reduce your sentence during trial."

"But my cousin already told you," Olivia could hear her cousin, Amarachi, who had flown all the way as soon as the news got to her, say, trying so hard to remain calm so as not to trigger the guards outside the interrogation room. "You're supposed to be her lawyer, how can you advice her to take the fall for a crime she didn't commit?"

He exhaled

"I'm trying my best here but it's not as easy as you think." He snapped back at Amy and then turned to Olivia again. "Mrs Silver, you are being charged of first degree murder. It's not a simple case. The pill found in your husband's medicine cabinet, they all think you swapped it with his so you could kill him. Everyone knows now that your marriage hasn't been in its best days now since Victoria's testament. News about how he might have physically abused you are all over the news and everyone thinks you killed him so you can be free because you didn't want to leave without nothing. Some even think you did it because he found out you were cheating."

Amy rolled her eyes, she couldn't believe her ears.

"The Silver's are really influential. They are pushing this case with everything that they have especially since they have evidence of you pointing a knife at him on the night of his death. Our best chance of winning this is for you to plead guilty and get a lesser sentence. I could request for another bail hearing but it'd be turned down just like the last one."

Amarachi scoffed

"How can you suggest she stays in jail in her condition? Do you have any idea what they are going to do to her if she stays here for one more day? " her cousin was having a hard time understanding any of it.

"They have evidence."

"And that's why we pay you so much to counter their evidence."

The room was filled with silence for a short while. The lawyer just sat still, rubbing his forehead with his fingers. He was having a tough time as the rest of them.

Olivia slowly reached for his hands.

"Barrister David?"

He turned to look at her.
Her hands were so cold and shaky. There were a lot of tears in her eyes. Olivia had tried for so long to keep her emotions in check but that place was breaking her. The thought that she was going to spend another night in that filthy room with all those scary people terrified her.

"You've been my lawyer for a while now even though I've never really had a reason for your representation." She took a deep breath as a drop of tear found it's way quickly from her eyes. "I'm being framed for a crime I did not commit. I need you to believe me and believe that I need to get out of here before I'm due. I can't have a baby in prison."

The man stared at her. He was moved with pity, she could see it.

"I'm innocent. I didn't kill my husband. We had a fight that night and I left. I didn't swap his pills or anything like I'm being accused of and I need you to help me prove that. Please."

The man exhaled.

"I'd do all I can at the hearing tomorrow. Hopefully, we can try to stop the court from taking your case to trial."

Olivia exhaled in relief. She was really so relieved

"Thank you." She squeezed his hand right before she slowly pulled them away from his.

"You still have a few minutes. I'd leave you two alone to talk." He slowly reached for his briefcase and got up from the metal chair. They both watched him head to the door while the policeman outside opened it.

Olivia exhaled before Amy reached for her hands. She looked at them

"Nnem, ole oti di? How are you?"

Sighing was all she happened to be good at those days.

"You don't have to worry."
Maybe Amy didn't want her to answer that. "We are going to get you out of here. I already made some calls. Mum should be on the next flight to Abuja by this evening. We know you didn't do it so there's no reason you should be in jail for a crime you didn't commit."

A tiny smile was really pushing its way around Olivia's lips but she just couldn't.

"They are not going to let that happen Amarachi." Olivia said almost in a whisper, finally raising her head to meet her cousin who kept a confused look on her face like she had no idea who Olivia was referring to.

"The Silvers." Olivia added. "Victoria. She's going to do all she can to keep me in here I know it."

"Because she doesn't like you?"

"You don't know how important her children are to her."

"Olivia you didn't kill that man." The assertiveness in Amarachi's tone was all that gave Olivia hope at that moment. "That woman hates everyone that's not a part of their family and that's not your fault. Her family's foundation basically saved your life. Gave us a home, gave you an education all your life and when her son fell in love with you, and turned down her offer to marry that Yoruba rich lady she got for him, she just couldn't take it and then she promised to make your life miserable and that's what they are doing. I won't be surprised if she hired someone to kill her son just to make you suffer for it."

Olivia shook her head.

"Amy, Victoria is a lot of things but a mother that would kill her own son is not one of them. Austin and Andrew mean the world to her. She'd literally give her life for any of them, that's how much she loves them."

"You can't tell my sister. People would surprise you, rich people especially. Didn't you tell me she was tribalistic? All those slurs she made, calling you Biafran and all that. She's capable of doing anything to get rid of any future threats that's what I think."

Olivia rubbed her palms together

"I don't know Amy." She drew her words "In as much as I want to find out who is framing me for this, I also need to find another way to pay my lawyer. Victoria froze my account. I'm running out of options. I'm scared I might not be able to afford a private lawyer from this point onwards."

"Hmm." Amy pretended to think for a while "I mean I have some savings but I don't think it'd be enough to pay your lawyer and also pay for your special room."

Unlike regular jails, there were specific countries that made special rooms available in prisons for celebrities or rich folks that didn't want to stay with the other inmates, as long as they could afford it. Nigeria was one of them.

"I'd like you to keep stay there till we get you out. At least you'd have you own bathroom, a clean bed and you won't have to be around anyone that could be a threat to you or the baby. It's really expensive but I think it's worth it. The Silvers have allies and fans everywhere even in prison. They might try to hurt you especially if they think you're guilty of what you've been charged of. I have a friend in the police department and I've asked him to hook us up. He said he'd talk to the Deputy police officer. We might have a chance as soon as I get the money ready."

Olivia took a deep breath.
Words couldn't explain how grateful she was to the woman sitting right in front of her.

"I have some clothes and jewelries we could sell for money. Um, you could go get them from the mansion."

"You want me to go to that cursed house?" Amarachi drew a heavy breath "That's suicide."

"You could go right now. I mean, it's Andrew's wake and nobody would be home. Just tell the guards I sent you."

She exhaled

"I'm really terrified of that family and you know that."

"I do and you know I'd never ask this of you if it wasn't important." Olivia slowly reached for her hands "You're all I have right now Amy. You're the only one I trust to have my back."

Amarachi exhaled. She squeezed Olivia's hands

"Don't worry, I've got you."
Olivia knew she meant that. She exhaled

"I'm on your side no matter what."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 2.6K 39
What is your spec? I mean those qualities you desire your future partner to possess? Definitely not being way below in the social ladder right? Espec...
9.3K 1.9K 27
(Book 2) (Stand-alone) Danielle's got a double image attached to her, but to many, she is an annoying student who wouldn't fail to dig into things t...
74.6K 10.8K 44
|| Farida was no doubt a hard worker. She was never one to back down from a task and everyone at work loved her for that. Well, everyone but her bos...
OCTOBER 10TH By Nasir Aisha

Mystery / Thriller

15.3K 2.4K 35
Copyright© 2022. All rights reserved. October 10th. She once believed it was the finest day of the year. How innocent she was. Now, burdened by count...