Shadowed

By NebulaAngel

His breath is on my neck and his shadow falls across my face as his lips brush my ear, "Now you," he whispere... More

Shadowed
Prologue
1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
4
5
6
7
Chapter 8
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter Thirty
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46 part 1
Chapter 46 part 2
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50!
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
82
83
84
85
86

Chapter 65

647 19 5
By NebulaAngel

I awoke with a dull throb at the back of my skull and to the rumble of a car engine. Opening my eyes I squinted at the brightness and buried my face into Kale’s shirt. “Where are we going?” I groaned.
James answered for him “We’re going to see Dr Carson, Harry’s friend.”
“What….now?”
I scrunched my eyes closed holding my hands on my head as the throbbing increased.
“Yeah, we’re about twenty minutes away so it won’t be much longer. You’ve been out for about an hour.”
Great. All I wanted to do right now was curl up in bed with a million pillows and sleep until my head cleared.
Kale’s body tensed beneath me and I shuffled into sitting position, my eyes still squinting as they slowly adjusted to the light. I was wedged between James and Kale, Ryan was in passenger and Harry was driving.  Looking over to Kale I could see he was in the same pain as me. His elbow was propped up against the window with his hand to his temple.
James saw me looking at Kale. “Yeah, he’s got a bit of a migraine. He’s been a bit grouchy too.”  Kales jaw clenched as he gritted his teeth. “Fuck up.” He growled his eyes not leaving the back of Harry’s head rest.
James rolled his eyes.
Up ahead the road was wet and dark twisting round a steep inclined road.  “How are you feeling Kaela?” Asked Ryan turning in his seat to look at me.
“To be honest, I feel like shit. My head – is so –sore, and I feel nauseous as fuck.” I grimaced as the car continued to spiral upwards.
“Gross.”
“Don’t you puke on me babe.” Warned James shuffling up to the window.
“Hah” I grinned.
“I’m serious!”  James chuckled raising an eyebrow.
Shut up.”  Growled Kale menacingly.
“Ohhh my god.” Sighed Ryan turning back around in seat. Kale’s eyes were dark and his hand was slowly being squeezed into a tight fist as he grimaced squeezing his eyes shut. 
“When will this even stop? He’s been like this since we left, I mean jeaazus Christ, what next? I sure as Hell hope this doctor has a few good strong pills or some shit to give to him because this is just -”

“FUCK JUST SHUT UP RYAN OR I SWEAR I WILL REACH FORWARD AND FUCKING…. GET ME OUT OF THIS CAR. PULL THE FUCK OVER RIGHT NOW!”  Kale roared slamming his palm into the back of Harry’s seat the fabric straining and Harry’s head bouncing foreward. Kale was seething with anger his eyes dilated and dark, his chest rising fast as he fought to contain himself.
“Shit, and on all the fricking roads you have to choose this one “Groaned Harry pulling over onto the side.

Before the engine has stopped Kale was already out of the vehicle and storming off into the trees.
“Kale!”

Unclipping my seat belt I slowly staggered out of the car my head spinning dizzily but determined to follow after him. My hand flew out supporting my balance against the open car door. Shoulders bulked and fists balled tightly Kale strode further away looking like he was going to destroy anything that moved.  When my head stopped spinning I began to follow after him my black boots crunching under the loose gravel. Behind me engines grumbled to a stop as the others pulled to the side wondering what was going on.
“Ka-“ I began
“WHAT!” Screamed Kale spinning round. He’s fuming eyes met mine and he blinked furiously. Is he going to cry?
“Geeezus!” He yelled his voice straining when he realized it was me.
I jumped as his fist smashed into the closest tree with as resounding ‘thunk’. Bark splintered with a crack and fragments of bark scattered. He paused after the first hit and my breath caught in my throat. Kale stood breathing hard his head dipped down. Steam was beginning to radiate off his body as his temperature rose and the knotted muscles of his shoulders and back began to ripple. He was getting so angry that his body was fighting between shifting and staying in his human form.  Energy would be chorusing through his body with an ache that was compelling towards the shift. A sharp pain splintered through the back of my skull with an explosion of anger and furious thoughts. I gasped my hand clamping around my skull at the overload. “STOP IT!” I screamed as the sudden flux of pain threatened to drag me to my knees.
Kales head whipped round his eyes wide and extraordinarily green his pupils sharp diamonds. A ragged breath escaped his lips and he shook his head blinking and trying to throw off the shift that was fighting to twist his will. “Shit” he gasped his body shuddering as a small glint of moisture gathered in his eyes. Kale’s breath left his mouth ragged with concentration as he groaned fighting against the shifts pull. Moisture beaded his forehead as he began raking it back and holding to his human form. With a deep exhale his eyes closed, I watched as his muscles loosened a calmness slowly settling. His eyes opened, and all traces of anger, stress and the shift were gone.

Sucking in a breath I stepped forward swaying a little as my head swam. “Oh shit.” Moaned Kale miserably as he strode over quickly and wrapped his arms around me pressing his lips on my forehead. “I’m sorry.”
“It’s okay.”  I sighed relaxing against him as the pain in my head resided.
We stood there quietly for a few minutes as Kale gently swayed side to side.
Behind us was the crunching of leaves as someone approached.  
“You good?” Came Caleb’s voice.
Kale must have nodded because he didn’t say anything and Caleb began walking away again.

When we eventually walked back to the cars everyone was waiting. Ryan sat on the top of the car bonnet Dan laid out beside him. Car doors were open and Harry was drinking some water and Tina was on her phone sat on top of Jace.
“Took you long enough.” Grinned Ryan.  “Finished having your little tanty?”
“Shut up man!” Groaned Dan pushing Ryan off the car bonnet.
Kale to my surprise just smiled. “Yeah, I have actually and you know what? I feel great.”  Then he grinned. A wide toothy grin, that was perhaps a little too happy for a guy who only minutes ago looked like he could commit murder. I looked up at him and gave a weird look. “What?” He laughed.
He was happy.
“Nothing.” I muttered shaking my head.
“Alright, can we please get this trip moving? I said to Michael we’d be there for two.” Harry said glancing at his watch.
Walking back to get into the car I watched Kale out of the corner of my eye kindly help Brody to his feet and clap him on the back as if congratulating him on something. Brody seemed to have noticed his oddness but just smiled in thanks - while trying not laugh of course.

“You know. I think we should have some music.” Announced Kale wrapping an arm around my shoulders in the car.
“Sure.”
Harry pressed the radio button and after a bit of static Labyrinth began singing “Express yourself.”
“Ryan, you’re fucking great man. Honest to fucking god, just… just a legend .”
Ryan who was in the middle of having a drink just about choked.
“Great. Thanks…man…?” Ryan grinned turning around and looking at his happy elder brother.
James gulfed and laughed into his hand.
“Fuck I love this song!” Kale exclaimed his eyes bright as he began bopping his head.  “See what ever I dooo. I do it gooood.”
Kale’s hand slipped from my shoulder and gently squeezed my left breast.  My mouth dropped open and I looked at James. James’ mouth was open and suddenly he sank down in his seat silently dying of laughter tears streaming down his face. His feet kicked against Ryan’s seat causing Ryan to turn round just as Kale sang the backing.
“Doop doop do do do doop. ”
Ryans eyes widened with pure horror at the cheerfulness that had taken over his older ‘moody’ brother.
Ryan flicked to the next channel.
“Dude why the fuck did you change it!?” Growled Kale.
“Because you’re freaking me out.” Muttered Ryan shaking his head.
On the radio Beyonce started singing. Kale’s face crinkled and then with a bit of normalcy then questioned “Who the fuck is this?”.
“Beyoncé of course.” Said Ryan a matter-of-factly.
“You listen to this shit?”
Ryan shrugged. “She’s hot.”
“Euggh.” I groaned in mutual annoyance with Kale, slipping lower in my seat.
“Change it.”
“Change it!”
“Fine!” Growled Ryan hitting the button again.
“Awwwh fuck not this song, change it!” Grumbled James hitting the back of Ryan’s seat.
The radio went to static and then changed again.
“Nope.”
Gonna get through your head what the mystery man said because I’m gunna!”
“I LOVE THIS SONG!”
“Aghhh.” Moaned Harry
“YES! Leave it!” I said hitting the back of Ryan’s seat.
“Stop hitting the back of my seat!”
“Children if you can’t decide on a radio station…”
“Shut up Harry!”

“HATE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SOOOOOOOO!” I sang with James.
“ALRIGHT!”

“Do what I please gonna spread the disease because I wanna. Gonna call all the shots for the No’s and the Not’s because I wanna!”

“Don’t I get a say in the station? I’m driving…” Muttered Harry miserably.
“No.” I laughed.

When the song finished we sat there anxious waiting for the next song to start all hoping that it was going to be a good one. My hands griped the edge of the seat as I sat there tense and waiting.  When the first few notes started Kale was already smiling .“Yes.”
Ryan who seemed to recognize it too turned round in his seat. “These guys are legends. They’re just….eurgghh” Groaned Ryan turning round in seat and already beginning to play his non existent guitar

“I had a dream last night that I was piloting a plane and all the passengers were drunk and insane” Sang Kale.
“I crash landed in a Louisiana swamp shot up a horde of zombies but I came out on top” Sang Ryan.
 And then together “What’s it all about? Guess it just reflects my moooood.  Sittin’ in the DIRT, feelin’ kinda hurt. ALL I HEARRRR IS DOOOOM AND GLOOOM!!!!”

They sang it together and they sang it loud.
“What song is this?” I asked
“Doom and Gloom by the Rolling Stones!” Grinned James

As the boys sing I looked out the window at the changing scenery. The hill that had been a steady climb was now decreasing gradually as we followed the winding road down. Slowly the trees began to thin and the earth level off to the flat plane of the suburbs. When Harry's truck began to slow the nerves began to set in. We pulled over outside a plain cream coloured house with black roof a rectangular patch of lawn out front which was tidy, but simpilar than that of the surrounding gardens. Over the fence the neighbours had carefully planted flowers beneath their windows, and a range of perfectly pruned shrubbery at varied heights. I snorted when I saw the typically boring white post box outside. Could this house be anything less. "Kaela? Are you getting out?"

Kale stood outside the car holding the door open patiently waiting for me.

"Yeah."

I shuffled across the seat and slid out of the car. My boots landed on white pavement. "I really don’t want to be here." I muttered as Kale shut the car door and took hold of my hand.

"It shouldn't take long. Then we can go get coffee" he smiled squeezing my hand gently.

"You guys ready?" Asked Harry rubbing his palms together enthusiastically.

"Hang on..." I asked looking around. Only Harry's truck was parked, the other guys were nowhere to be seen. "Where...?"

"They're meeting up with us later. Honestly I thought you'd be happy to have less of a crowd." Harry laughed leading us towards the house.

We followed after him, Ryan walking with a happy bounce in his step.  "Hahah Kaela are you nervous? You look SO nervous."

"Shut up."

As Harry began to knock on the door my nerves peaked. "Harry what did you say this guys name was again?"

Harry's head turned to face me just as the front door opened.
The first thing I noticed were his eyes. One was a warm chocolate brown and the other a startling blue. He had black hair which he’d decided to slick back across the top of his head. IErughh.
“Hello you must be Kaela.”
Leaving his eyes I saw that he was smiling and had his hand outstretched to shake.
“..H..Hi.” I stammered nerves flitting my stomach.
“I’m Michael Carson”
There was a pause as his gaze held mine.
Kale cleared his throat snapping the Dr Carson from his little moment.
“Well er… come on in.” He smiled waving us in warmly.  Cautiously I stepped inside and as I past the doctor I could almost feel his inquisitive gaze follow me in and it gave me the shivers.  Kale placed a warm hand on the small of my back and pushed me forward as I began to drag my feet taking in my surroundings.  The walls were white, as was most of the décor but with accents of green. Glass vases with green ferns on a white side table, a framed skeletal art on the wall, a black shiny leather couch, a glass coffee table and white domed lights. Across the room was a large glass window and suspended and dangling the light were glass hangings with different plants and ferns. I turned round with a fright as the door was suddenly closed.
“Well.” Said Dr Carson his eyes watching me. “Shall we?”
He briskly walked past me with a bounce in his step and disappeared round the corner his black polished shoes barely scraping the floor.
Tentatively I followed after him walking past the glass hangings by the window and down a short white hallway where a door was open in waiting.  Mentally I was beginning to feel annoyed with myself for being so nervous. “Honestly just stop!’ I muttered quietly to myself.
There was a chuckle behind me.

As soon as I stepped one foot into Dr Carson’s office he’d already started. “So your name is Kaela…. Stephanie… Miller. Your parents Nicholas and Sophie. You were born on… the 4 th of November in 1995.”

I stood there in shock. Carson sat behind a plain wooden desk in black spectacles rummaging through a large navy blue file. How the fuck does he know all this shit….?
“Oh.” He said smiling and looking up from the papers. “Please sit.”
My mouth had gone dry, but I slowly walked and sat in the black leather chair furthest away from his desk.
“Kaela…” Grumbled Harry.
“Please, sit here.” Carson smiled pointing to the chair in front of him. My hands began to shake as I wobbled to me feet looking to Kale for support.
It’ll be okay.
Harry took my hand and sat me down in the chair giving me a funny look.
“Okay, so.” Muttered Carson flicking the page over and scanning down a page heavy with writing.
His hands slapped the file making me jump again. Dr Carson looked at me with his hands now folded neatly. “ How old were you when your parents died?”
My heart froze.
“Wh…what?” I gasped.
“How old were you when your parents died?”  He repeated calmly.
I felt a twinge at the back of my head and a faint warming flush crawling up my neck.
“Sixteen.” I whispered.
“Right, okay. And did you know then that you were a shifter?”
“No..well yes I…” My throat began to close up. “ When they…when they died I, I shifted for the first time  I _”
“Ah yes, yes okay. So it was triggered by stress and trauma. Tell me did your parents ever mention anything about it to you, give you any warnings or such?”
“No.”
“Right okay.” Dr Carson stood up sharply and walked over to the medical looking side of the room. There was a medical bed, stainless steel draws and sink and a large black X-Ray screen.
Rifling through one of the draws he turns round with a needle in his hand and my heart pounds.
“Wholey fuck no!” I gasp gripping the arms of the chair tightly.
“Calm down Kaela, it’s not going to hurt a bit. I promise.” He smiled.  But it was something in his smile that was beginning to creep me out. He reached out taking my wrist in his hand and turning my arm over needle poised in hand. “What! No, what the fuck!!!” I exclaimed pulling my arm out of his hand.

Dr Carson looked at me in shock. “I’m sorry, I just need to take a blood sample that’s all.” He said innocently.
“Kaela, please do as he asks.” Said Harry in a tired voice.
“No!” I growled.
“Kaela.” Warned Harry sternly.
“Fine.” I grumbled glaring at Carson. His hot finger tips brushed my skin as he took hold of my wrist once again , this time in a slower manner.
“Ahh, I see.” He muttered quietly. “Bonded now are we? Quite recently too I might add.” My arm stiffened and I heard a low growl beginning to rumble from somewhere behind me.
Dr Carson chuckled to himself as he looked up and over my shoulder, then back to me. I cringed.
Slowly he turned my wrist and delicately poised the needle. “You can look away if you like.” He smirked.
“I’m fine thanks.” I hissed.
“Very well.”
I watched the needle touch and the press against my skin, then it sank deep into my arm. There was a strange unwelcome feeling as I watched my own blood begin to fill the barrel of the syringe.
I gasp softly escaped my lips as the needle then left my skin. Embarrassed a flush hit my cheeks and my nails began to dig into the palm of my hand in annoyance. Stupid stupid! FUCK!
“Beautiful. Right I’m just going to set this up.”  Carson walked back to the medical side and started opening draws again.
I watched him hating him more and more.

“So, I wondered if you knew about some of your family’s history. Did you know where your father worked? What he did?” Carson asked.

“No. All I knew was that he left early in the morning and came back late at night. He worked somewhere in the city. I don’t suppose I need to tell you what city?” I asked sourly.

“Nope, I know exactly where you used to live. Have you been back recently?”
My hands began to shake again, but this time not because of pure nerves, but of a growing anger at this man who openly shared knowledge about my family history and about me that only until recently everyone was told about. This guy doesn’t even really know me, yet he knows nearly everything about me so it seems. You don’t just bring up the fact that someone’s parents were murdered and talk about as if everyone’s always known and like it’s no big deal.
No.” I hissed. “But if you say one more thing about my family and their murder, I swear to god I’m leaving.”

“Oh. Sorry.” Muttered Carson not even turning round and with an air to his voice like he’d only been half listening.
Rage seethed through me and my fists slammed down hard on his desk as I rose from my seat. “YOU FUCKING SHIT!!” I yelled gripping hold of a white ceramic feline skull and smashing it on the floor at his feet. “I’M LEAVING BEFORE I BEAT YOU – “

“OH MY GOD!” Screamed Carson stopping my mid rage.
“Oh my god! Your blood cells…. You’re different! Your not even… YOU’RE A DIFFERENT SPECIES THIS IS AMAZING!!!” He yelled ecstatically turning round with the biggest grin on his face.
My mouth hung open not knowing what I was going to say or what I should now say. Words escaped my mind as I stared Carson.
“See, I knew it!” Said Harry.  “ I told you all that Kaela’s probably of a new species and would you believe me, no. Of course you wouldn’t. But here, see I’m right!”

“What?” I gasped.
“You’re blood cells are totally different to primus mutante felis and also different to mutante secundo felis! You are alius!!! Completeley aliter!”

“What? Wait just a second, what are you saying?” Asked Kale loudly.
“Your mate, Kaela, she’s not of your species or of the other cat shifter primus! It’s amazing – no SHE is amazing! She’s different, she’s a whole new member of the felis mutante species!”
Stepping backwards on wobbly legs I fell back into my seat.
“Take a look Harry!”
Harry nearly ran to Carson. “Look she has Ketrosine, but she also has this strange looking molecule which has bonded to the chain, it’s almost replaced Z21 altogether!”

“That’s…that’s great! Wow!.” Exclaimed Harry. “Carson, excuse my ignorance, but what did you mean by primus mutante felis and – “
“Oh oh oh yes!! Yes of course I do apologize. No well… see here sit down sit down! I’ll tell all of you.”

Harry was ushered back to his seat and Carson sat fidgeting with excitement back at his office chair.
“Well, as you know you are of the same subspecies, you are all the same – apart from Kaela of course. You’re only the second of the species Mutante Felis , cat changers, if you will or shifters as we call ourselves. There are you – ‘us’ – and there are the other subspecies the Primus mutante felis.”

“What!?” Exclaimed James with a laugh.
“Okay okay, so then who are the Primus? How is it that they are of the same ‘SPECIES’ and yet we don’t even know who they are?” Laughed Ryan

“Trent.” I whispered awestruck.
“What…?”
“No way….” Moaned James.

“Trent?” Asked Carson.
“Yeah, Trent.” I said coldly staring at Carson. “You ought to know” I smirked sourly. “His farther is the one who murdered my parents.”

“Oh, Derik Denton? Yes he is one of the Primus. I’ve not heard or met Trent though. I’ve only heard of who I presume is Trent’s brother Judah.”

“He has a brother?”
“Oh yes, well as I said, I only knew that Derik had a boy called Judah, not one called Trent. But as I was saying, you your different your not of either of those subspecies at all, you are ‘different’ ‘other’ you are – let’s say called Mutante Alius Felis. I don’t know how that may have changed you physically or mentally, but I do know that your DNA strands are unique. You have a new nitrogenous base which I presume has made a new chain of proteins and possibly means you have a whole new chemical when you shift. I don’t know, the possibilities are insane!”  I exclaimed gasping for breath.  “You know, I wouldn’t mine if you’d let me just – “
“No, I’m not going to become your new lab guinea pig!”
“I know it’s hard but honestly if I could just – “
“Fuck off! I said no already!” I growled glaring at him. “Thanks for confirming suspicions but I don’t want any more of your scientific freak show. I’m done.”

Carson then looked very frustrated but sad at the same time.
“Kaela you’re not really being very fair.” Said Harry.
“Woah woah woah! “  I turned to face Harry. “Look I’ve let him do his job okay? He was to find out if I was another subspecies, and I am. GREAT, see look how thrilled I am! But I’m not going to become a test subject so he can get goofy science thrills over cells and shit. This is MY body, and I say no.”
“Kaela – “
“NO, look that’s it . FINAL. NO MORE.”  I snapped ending it.

We sat in silence for a while. Then Carson opened his mouth again.
“Well if you won’t, do you think I could look at your mates – “
“What, at kale!” I exclaimed angrily.
“Why yes because – “

“Woah why the fuck do you need to look at my blood?” Grumbled Kale clearly as peeved off as I was.
“Well, when sexual intercourse is made between two members of the subspecies you of course fuse chemical bondage and blood when the male pierces –“
“WOAH WOAH! “ Cried James clamming his hands over his ears.
“Ew Fark I don’t want to know what he did!” Laughed Ryan

“I don’t care if you’re a fucking doctor  but I swear – “ Growled Kale in a threatening voice.
“WOAH LET THE MAN SPEAK GUYS!” Yelled Harry crossly.
The room fell quiet. “Let him finish. Please.” Said Harry calmly.
“Well, as I was saying, when the male …errrh pierces the females skin with his canines which are a result of a masculum partialis , a partial shift change, chemicals of the male are injected. This of course starts the chemical fusion which enables the eventual pair to interconnect telepathically and to psychologically respond to one another in emotions etcetera”.  

“Riiiiight….” Muttered Kale.
“So.. If you wouldn’t mind... and then I could take a look at your possible pectoral form changes and document your physic level and you could have cellular ---“

ALRIGHT!” Announced Kale standing up abruptly. “That’s it I’ve had enough. Thanks for all the help Dr Carson,” Kale stepped towards me and pulled me up out of my seat.

“We won’t be dropping by any time soon…” Kales hands rested on my shoulders and he began guiding me out of the room.
“ Laters.” Called Kale over his shoulder saluting him while dragging me out.

“What a nerdy scientific freako de weirdo ass mother-” Kale muttered grumpily under his breath as we made our way out of Dr Carson’s house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 144K 60
Life Lesson #1: If you are planning on going to a nightclub in the middle of sketchy, dark woods, don't. Life Lesson #2: If there are too many attr...
2K 143 23
[completed!] Under editing! Man kind, invincible and scared of nothing. We were the superior race, and we revelled in it. We all thought we were the...
4.9K 223 23
"Can you shift?" His voice was notably softer. I was grateful for it. As best as I could, I shook my head. The lingering dizziness rang through my he...
413K 12.4K 51
*Mature Content Warning* I rest both my hands against the table. "I'll go on another date with you, if you tell me one thing about yourself that no...