before the storm / bucky barn...

By defensively

"You know, for a Stark, you're not as annoying as I imagined." "You've imagined things about me, Barnes?" "Oh... More

cast
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
a lil check in!
014
015
Tony Stark has gone missing
017
018
I don't care if she's my kid or if she's Batman's kid. She's not safe.
019
020
021
022
023
024
its q&a time!
025
026
027
028
029
Discovering the Truth
030
q&a answers !
031
032
a little stepping off note
i. Aftermath
ii. Rest Now
iii. To Hear Your Voice Once More
headcanons

016

65K 1.8K 709
By defensively

          DRIVING isn't one of my strong suits, I'd say I'm mediocre at best. Never caused a crash, never been in a crash. Have I almost been in a crash? Well that is none of your business.

I mean, my Father was my teacher so the bar for me was quite low anyway – which is why I don't understand why May or Dad couldn't do this. Because as much as I love Peter, I am terrified to see him behind the wheel.

"You ready Pete?" I smile as we make our way out of the elevator and towards the sea of cars, parked and assorted by brand and colour.

"Born ready!" He exclaims and I chuck him the keys to the only car dad would let Peter drive. The black Audi that Dad bought on a whim 5 years ago.

He didn't catch the keys.

For a superhero, you could say I'm a bit concerned to be in the passenger seat.

"Forget that happened," Peter wags his finger at me as he dips down to grab the keys from the floor and as the keys jangle in his hands, he enthusiastically dips into the car, and in an attempt to match his enthusiasm in order to calm his nerves – I hit my head.

And Peter, who giddily had his hands on the wheel and keys ready to pop into the ignition, didn't even notice.

"Let's do this!" I clap my hands together and gesture for Peter to put the key in the ignition and I stay close to make sure his foot is firmly on the brake.

"What now?" Peter's hands are firmly in the 10-and-2 positions.

"Take it out of park," I gesture towards the gears and he eagerly changes to reverse.

"And?"

"Reverse it out?" I cock my head to the side as he stares blankly at the steering wheel.

There is a pregnant pause before he reluctantly responds with "How?"

"Oh Peter,"

I begin talking him through it, the necessities that should be crucial to driving. Check your mirrors, Pete. Make sure you're in the right gear, Pete. Stop looking at your phone, Pete.

"Sorry! It's hard when it's right there-"

He stops talking when I snatch his phone from next to him and throw it – quite carelessly – into the backseat.

"Hey! Careful with-!"

"Red light– Peter, red light!"

It was now that despite finding myself in very life-threatening and high-pressure situations, I watch my life flash before my eyes as my seatbelt snaps me back into my seat and Peter slams on the breaks.

"This is going to be a long lesson."

-

The driving went great! The driving went great.

The reversing back into the parking space in the garage after a successful 2 hour drive around busy Downtown New York while you had your guard down and your confidence was up so it was the first time you took your eyes off of the road in 2 hours?

Generally speaking, of course?

Yeah, that part didn't go so well.

Because, the one car Dad had given zero shits about just reversed into and dented the one car he had cared for.

Not the Tesla, Dad side eyed that poor bastard as soon as he convinced himself the entire car will always and forever "reek" of Chick-Fil-A.

We ate 3 burgers in there over a month ago but okay Dad, sure.

But his beautiful, new, bright yellow Lamborghini? Yeah, it's dented.

And Peter has been pacing across the aisle of the garage for around 10 minutes because of it, putting off the act of calling Dad down to tell him what he did.

"Do you want me to call Dad? I'll call him if you like," I suggest to him and before he can turn my offer down, FRIDAY has a mind of her own.

Calling Dad echoes through the otherwise empty garage.

"No, FRIDAY, stop! Hang up!" Peter pleads and the ringing instantly ceases, but not before Dad's voice quickly takes over.

"Hey Cass, why're you-?" Dad is easily cut off as the dial tone sounds and the phone has been hung up.

"Dad knows we're home, get in the elevator now,"

Peter stands as if a statue for a few seconds, which I assume is to understand what's going on and consider his options, before sprinting towards the elevator.

However, the door opens before he gets a chance to press the button.

"Hey Kid! How was the drive?"

"It was good! It was uh- good, Mr Stark!" Peter grins cheerfully while simultaneously trying to maintain a position that prevents Dad from seeing the dent he had caused.

"Didn't damage anything, I hope?" Dad questions and the both of us laugh rather awkwardly.

"I'd rather die!" Peter exclaims over dramatically as he laughs.

That made me laugh, for real, because I knew that in this moment, there would be nothing that Peter wanted more than death.

Dad takes a calm stride over to the car with a proud grin over his face.

"Maybe we can go for a spin later this week, huh?"

"Yeah, now that you used me as a guinea pig and know that Peter wont kill anyone you want to be in the passenger seat," I raise my eyebrows at him and cross my arms over my chest.

Dad scoffs with his mouth agape. "I would never do such a thing,"

"Yes you would Mr Stark," Peter chuckles and paces down back towards the elevator, and I follow.

"Dad, shut up just accept it," I add on to what Peter said as we coerce him away from the damaged car.

It almost works.

Almost!

"Hold on-"

Peter and I stop dead in our tracks and bow our heads instantly in shame.

"Is that a dent? On my new car?"

"Mr Stark, let me explain-"

"No need to explain, Kid. You're a new driver! It's hard to judge a car that you've driven for the first time," Dad shrugs off the dent.

My eyes widen and Dad's calm composure and I watch Peter's shoulders slack in relief.

"Cassandra, however-"

"What?" I suddenly tense up.

"-Is not a new driver! Why didn't you notice how close he was to the car, Star?" Dad raises his eyebrows at me and I raise my eyebrows at him. Peter looks at me with wide eyes as he attempts to, and fails, to prevent himself from smiling.

My mouth opens and closes, stuttering in order to find the right words.

All I could muster?

"Hey, look at that! Did it also scratch off paint?"

Before breaking into a sprint and heading upstairs.

hi so ive written a backstory thingo on cass' mom but like i dont wanna upload it cus i just uploaded one so maybe keep an eye out when i get 25k reads or just after chapter 20 i'll upload it which ever comes first lol

also im VERY excited for the next chapter and i think you guys should be too

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 2.7K 22
18+ Readers ONLY please! Being burned by the man I loved and thought I was going to spend my life with was without a doubt one of the hardest times i...
23.3K 648 21
This is a Sequel to Hydra's Hope and a prequel to Winter's Widow. The love of your life Bucky Barnes has been Snapped and you find comfort in Steve R...
575K 16.4K 33
'You are just a reminder of everything you did to me! I hate you!' He wanted to put everything in the past and heal, but she still hated him. Bucky B...
20.1K 245 22
Sabrina Stark is the daughter of billionaire Tony Stark. Having lived her entire life by the rules, she meets Bucky Barnes and is willing to risk it...