Dizgaia ~ The Dreamfinder's D...

By CalamitysChild

Mia Baxter thought she was familiar with the tales from Disney films, adapted from the stories of brilliant a... More

Part I
Chapter 1 ~ The Birth of a Spark
Chapter 2 ~ A Spark Burns Brighter
Chapter 3 ~ A Meddlesome Father
Chapter 4 ~ The Rainbow Corridor
Chapter 5 ~ Welcome to Dizgaia
Chapter 6 ~ The 10 Kingdoms
Chapter 7 ~ History of a Dark Grudge
Chapter 8 ~ The Tremaines
Chapter 9 ~ A Dreamfinder's Daughter
Chapter 10 ~ Flynn
Chapter 11 ~ Grid Games
Chapter 12 ~ The Wager
Chapter 13 ~ Bonnie Appetite
Chapter 14 ~ The Mad Hacker
Chapter 15 ~ A Royal Engagement
Chapter 16 ~ Return to Tomorrow Hill
Chapter 17 ~ Whistle While You Work
Chapter 18 ~ An Illuminating Performance
Chapter 19 ~ Tomorrow's Child
Chapter 20 ~ Yokai and the Battle for Tron
Chapter 21 ~ Breakfast at Tiana's
Part II
Chapter 22 ~ Peter Pan
Chapter 23 ~ Horseplay
Chapter 24 ~ The Chieftess of Neverland
Chapter 25 ~ What A Girl Wants
Chapter 26 ~ Beneath the Glow of the Fairy Tree
Chapter 27 ~ Reckless Love
Chapter 28 ~ Hooked!
Chapter 29 ~ Aboard the Jolly Roger
Chapter 30 ~ The Seas of Heartache
Chapter 31 ~ Isla Tesoro
Chapter 32 ~ The Path of La Creadora
Chapter 33 ~ Billie Howe
Chapter 35 ~ Escape From Puerto Dorado
Chapter 36 ~ The Temple of Nev
Chapter 37 ~ Shadows of the Past
Chapter 38 ~ Memories of a Lost Boy
Chapter 39 ~ Closer
Chapter 40 ~ The Sea Witch
Chapter 41 ~ The Jig is Up
Chapter 42 ~ Apparitions
Chapter 43 ~ The Tragedy of James Hook
Chapter 44 ~ Unhooked
Chapter 45 ~ The Compassion of Vandsgaard
Chapter 46 ~ Through the Dreamport
Peter ~ Hook or Me

Chapter 34 ~ A Pirate's Life

38 3 20
By CalamitysChild

Mia tumbled out of her seat and onto the floor. The grizzled old pirate let out a hearty laugh as Hook helped Mia back to her feet and into her chair.

"Mia! Are you well?"

The old pirate let out a rasping laugh as he claimed a seat at their table across from them. "Seems bein' surrounded by a pair o' handsome rogues was too much fer yer bonny lass."

Long John Silver was not a handsome man. It was arguable whether he ever was, even in his younger years. Ages of seafaring had weathered his features even further. Nevertheless, he had an air of importance and charisma about him. Her wits having returned to her, Mia leaned across the table, wide-eyed and full of excitement.

"You're really Long John Silver?" she asked. "The Long John Silver?"

The old pirate cracked a smile. "S'far as I know, lassie, I'm ta' one and only."

"The real Long John Silver, as in the quartermaster under the notorious Captain Flint? As in the sea cook under Captain Smollet? As in the mutiny of the Hispaniola?" she rattled off excitedly to the shock of both men. "As in the search for Treasure Island? The man who befriended Jim Hawkins and stood against five mutinous pirates? The man who escaped the noose with four hundred guineas of treasure? That Long John Silver?"

Both Silver and Hook gaped at her in surprise. Finally, Silver's lips broke into a wide smile and he nodded. "Aye. The same. And so much more." He leaned across the table, resting his chin upon his fist as he gazed curiously at Mia. "And how be it that a bonny young lass such as ye self be knowin' so much 'bout an old seadog like m'self?"

Hook's eyes narrowed at Mia. "That... is a very good question."

Mia's face paled at the realization that she may have displayed too much knowledge. In fact, Hook was gazing at her downright suspiciously. Swallowing nervously, she tried her best to work around it.

"Really?" she said, leaning back in her seat and letting out a little laugh as though she found their confusion positively silly. "I mean, why shouldn't people know about you? You're infamous, aren't you? Tales of Long John Silver and Treasure Island are there to be heard for those who are keen for a good tale. I've always loved stories about seafaring adventures and buccaneers. My parents were well-learned and told me many stories of Dizgaia's most notorious pirates."

Phew. Good save Mia, she commended herself. That was a reasonable enough explanation... She hoped.

Hook was mollified by her explanation. Mia was a storyteller, after all. It shouldn't be so strange that she'd also be a connoisseur of tales about swashbuckling adventurers.

"This lass o'yers is truly somethin'," said Silver with a proud smile. "I sees why ye've taken a shine ta her, Jim-Boy!"

"Don't call me that, Silver," Hook growled. "Just what are you getting at by showing your face to me again?"

Silver's smile slipped from his face. "Is that inny way ta treat an ol' friend?"

Hook leaned forward with teeth clenched. "We are not old friends! You stranded me on that blasted scrap of land after I did everything to help you find the sunken treasure of Coeur du Mer!"

"Aye," Silver laughed, "That was quite the adventure, weren't it?"

Hook slammed his steel namesake on the table as a snarl issued from his lips. "I ought to gut you like a fish, you treacherous-"

"Ye needn't be so rash, Jim-boy," said Silver, looking anything but worried. "After all, if'n I got to keep that treasure, do ye really believe I'd be here on Isla Tesoro? I'd be livin' out me days enjoyin' the rich man's life. I lost that treasure."

"Serves you right, Silver. There are much worse fates for backstabbing scoundrels than simply losing what they've gained."

"Aye," said Silver, his expression darkening. "Yer words be true. That treasure was taken from me and lost to the depths once more. A vile treasure it be. Summons all manner of unwanted attention."

Mia listened to the back and forth exchange between the two pirates. She had to chew her lip to keep from giggling in a geeky, fan-girlish manner every time Silver called Hook 'Jim-boy.' No doubt Hook wouldn't take kindly to her amusement.

Silver's expression brightened as he slammed his hand merrily upon the table as though signaling an end to such unpleasantries. "So tell me, Jim," he said, "Ye still tryin' ta murder a little boy?"

With a glare, Hook retorted, "Are you still in love with one, Silver?"

Gone was the amiable expression from Silver's face. "Ye best watch yer tone, James," he said darkly. "Jim Hawkins was like a son ta me. I loved that boy like I was 'is father."

"Yes, and we see where that got you," said Hook dryly.

"Ye'd never understand what yer incapable of ye'self, Jim. Ye haven't a heart. Don't know how I coulda' expected otherwise with the lot ye've thrown in with."

Hook slammed his namesake on the table so hard that the wood splintered. "Don't pretend to know so much about me, Silver!" he shouted. "You know nothing!"

The men looked as though it were taking every last ounce of their willpower not to run each other through. Sensing the danger and wanting to diffuse a potentially volatile situation, Mia interjected.

"So, uh, h-hey," she stammered, smiling and placing a hand on Hook's shoulder. "I see you're in need of a refill, and Mr. Silver and I have yet to be served. So why don't I, uh, go get us all some, uh, some spirits, yeah?"

Hook seemed to relax and Silver leaned back in his seat, smiling up at her. "Aye. A good plan, lass."

"So yeah, uh, don't... don't kill each other while I'm gone, okay? That would definitely traumatize me, and that wouldn't be in good form now, would it?" Chuckling nervously, Mia hurried from the table to procure the men some drinks, hoping that some good spirits would in turn lift theirs - because she definitely did not want to be in the crossfire of a potential pirate feud.

"Got a good head betwixt her shoulders, that one," said Silver as they watched her go.

"Yes..." said Hook. "You have no idea."

Seeing that Mia had gotten safely to the bar without incident, Hook turned his gaze back to his table mate. "What is it you really want, Silver? Is there a point to this encounter, or did you just join me here to antagonize me so?"

"I never wanted ta antagonize yeh, Jim. We've had our problems in the past, that be true. But truth be told, I've always thought highly of ya."

Hook let out a dismissive laugh. "Ha! Thought highly of me? That's preposterous! If you thought anything of me, you wouldn't have left me on that island."

Silver shook his head and sighed. "I left ya, lad, 'cause I discovered the treasure of Coeur du Mer was cursed. I wanted ya ta have no part in it. That's why I lost it. T'was taken back to the depths by powers far beyond our control. I was lucky ta git outta it with me life intact. The same could not be said for me men. That's why I come to ya today, Jim-boy."

Hook's eyes narrowed. "I'm not sure I follow."

At the bar, Mia found Ninette leaning over the counter with her bosom on display for a chuckling buccaneer who was slipping gold coins into her cleavage as though it were a slot machine. Inhaling slowly through her nose and steeling herself against the rampaging debauchery going on around her, Mia cleared her throat. The man and Ninette's gaze fell on her, the latter with a glare.

"Hey... uh, yeah, so I'm still waiting on that drink and Hook needs a refill," she said. "Also, our companion has yet to be-"

"Well, well, well," Ninette interrupted. "Little Lost Girl catches Captain Hook's attention and thinks she can throw her weight around now, does she?"

"Look," said Mia irritably. "Just-"

"Give me a moment," Ninette snapped as she turned away to procure their drinks.

Mia sighed. As she waited, the pirate with the gold coins reached over and gave her butt a pinch.

"Ah! Hey!"

The man smiled a crooked-toothed smile at her. "Ain't yeh a fine piece o' the good stuff, sugar cakes? Why don't ye set ye'self here on me lap, dumplin? There's a nice bit o' shiny for yeh, if'n yeh do," he added, holding up a gold coin.

Mia tried not to grimace. If she were to admonish him in the same manner in which she'd be inclined were it any other man at a bar, there wasn't any telling what he'd do. He was a pirate, after all, and potentially dangerous. Still, not wishing to sit on his lap for all the money in the world, Mia replied in the only way she could.

"Sorry," she said, "But I'm with them." She nodded her head in Hook and Silver's direction. In the end, this seemed the smartest thing she could have done, for as the pirate's gazed followed hers, his eyes grew wide and the color drained from his face.

"H-Hook!" He tumbled out of his seat and ran from the pub, spilling a trail of gold coins behind him.

Like scavengers, several other scallywags threw themselves onto the floor to collect his fallen gold, and a brawl soon ensued. Mia watched in fascination until a mug was slammed down on the counter in front of her.

"Here you go. One Red-Haired Tramp."

Ninette's drink choice was not lost on Mia, who shot her a glare. "My hair's auburn, actually," she muttered, but Ninette ignored her.

"Your food will be ready shortly, assuming you can be patient," said Ninette haughtily.

Mia rolled her eyes. "Yes, fine. Thanks. But Hook still needs a refill, and Mr. Silver-"

Two more pints were slammed down in front of her before Ninette turned heel and stalked away. Mia eyed the three drinks.

"Um... Could I get some help?" she asked, but again, Ninette ignored her. With a sigh, Mia collected the three glasses as best she could, holding them between her arms and chest and made her way back towards their table, stepping gingerly around the brawling pirates.

"Oh, good," she said, setting the drinks in front of Hook and Silver. "You haven't killed each other. That's nice." She reclaimed her seat next to Hook. "Also, your ex-girlfriend apparently found it poetic to supply me with a beverage called a 'Red Haired Tramp.' Think she's a little ticked?" She took a sip of the drink and licked her lips thoughtfully. "Actually... it's pretty good."

Silver chuckled to himself before taking a sip from his mug. "That lass is one ta talk. She 'n I had a'selves a romp just las' night."

Mia gaped at Silver. She supposed she shouldn't be entirely surprised with a girl like Ninette. Still, she cast a glance at Hook to see what he made of it.

"You?" he said, lowering his glass from his lips in surprise. "Aren't you a touch old for her liking?"

Silver belted out another laugh. "That tart is attracted ta power, Jim. Not looks. And it helps that in me retired time, I became guv'ner of Puerto Dorado."

Hook choked on his drink and gave him an incredulous look. "You? Governor? How? What happened to Carlos?"

Silver chuckled into his drink. "Ol' Carlos took a wee trip... down the shaft of a well."

Now it was Mia's turn to choke on her drink. Hook shook his head as if disapproving, although his tone was impressed as he said, "You really are a scoundrel, John Silver."

"I didn't hear that," Mia insisted as she clamped her hands over her ears and began to hum loudly.

Silver roared with laughter. "Yer lass is an absolute delight, Jim-boy! The body of woman with the innocent heart of a child! Tis a mighty shame she's fallen in with you."

"Yes, she's positively corruptible," said Hook tonelessly. "All that aside, Silver, you haven't gotten to the point. Just what is it that you wish to speak with me about?"

As the conversation seemed to be taking a different turn, Mia slowly lowered her hands and listened.

"Tis simple, Jim-boy. I want ye ta give a bit o' consideration to retirin' from the pirate's life. Maybe split whatever plunder ya got now, take ye lovely lady and settle down... if not 'ere, then somewhere."

"Retire?" Hook scoffed. "You must be joking."

"I be serious, Jim. The sun is settin' on the age o' pirates. Hearty men like us are fewer and far between. We be a dyin' breed. 'Sides, the sea ain't ours anymore. It's gettin' a might too dangerous for our sort. Between those who seek our heads and the supernatural forces lookin' ta reclaim the oceans for themselves, survival on the high seas jus' ain't a likely outcome."

Mia considered his words. Supernatural forces?

That didn't sound good. But what did that even mean?

Hook shook his head. "Retirement, John, is out of the question."

"Don't be a fool, Jim!"

Hook's eyes flashed dangerously as he glared at Silver. "A fool? Is that what you take me for? John Silver, I am not the same young man that you left stranded on that island. I have been through more than you can imagine. Leaving this life... it is not an option I have open to me."

This time, it was Mia who responded with an unusually bold question. "Well, why not?" she challenged. "Who's putting a gun to your head and telling you to be a pirate? I mean, if Mr. Silver is right, it doesn't sound like a life at sea is such a good idea anymore. You keep saying how there are so few places you can go. If you retire and renounce piracy, maybe you won't be so limited or persecuted."

Hook regarded her with an immense amount of incredulity, but Mia plunged on regardless. Perhaps this was the key to escaping her precarious situation. If she could only convince Hook of it.

"I mean, it seems to me you've got a lot of plunder. You'd do well for yourself even if you retired now. Or... well, I mean, if you really like life on the sea, then you could always become a privateer."

But now she had gone too far, for Hook's face contorted into an expression of unadulterated anger. "A privateer? Captain James Hook? You must be the one who is joking, Mia. And who, exactly, would I be a privateer for? One of the lesser kingdoms, perhaps? Like Maldonia or Arendelle? Or maybe one of the Allied Kingdoms would contract me? Paridon? Or perhaps... Cerenopia?" His eyes narrowed as he glared hard at her. "That will not be happening, dear. Have you forgotten who I am? Do you know what I have done? What I can do? What I will do?"

The sarcastic questions with which he bombarded her made her feel absolutely stupid. She should've known she was asking too much of him. Mia flushed with embarrassment and lowered her gaze to the table. No, she hadn't forgotten who he was. Yes, she supposed she had an inkling of the sorts of things he'd done. Yes, she knew what he could do. But what he would do? What did he mean by that? She risked another glance up at him. Her face had gone pale, but her eyes were narrowed with disapproval and stubbornness.

"Well," she said tremulously, "If there's no hope of redemption for you, I'm not sure I want a part by your side in all this."

Silver shook his head, looking somber. "That, Jim-boy, is a sad state of affairs. I only wanted ye to realize jus' what was lyin' in wait. Now even ye bonny lass is thinkin' of leavin' yer side."

Hook's eyes flared with a wild rage. Mia swore she could almost see a tint of red as he snapped at Silver. "No one is leaving my side! She doesn't have a choice!" He turned to Mia and his expression softened, but his gaze remained hard. "There are other roads than the road to redemption, dear Mia. And for better or worse, you are on this road with me. After all, where would you go, if not with me? Back to Neverland where your heart can be shattered once more?"

Mia's eyes prickled with tears. His words stung. The reminder of Peter still hurt quite deeply.

"Or perhaps you'll try to barter your way from here back to Cerenopia," he continued. "I doubt you'll find too many around these parts who'd be willing to engage in such an arrangement."

Once again, the hopelessness of her situation came crashing down around her. Mia's eyes were wide and watery as the captain brought his hook up under her chin and tilted her face to his.

"Besides," he said, his lips hovering over hers. "You know very well that I have no intention of letting you out of my sight."

Mia blinked back tears. Any time she thought she was starting to like him, Hook would remind her, whether intentionally or otherwise, that he was, in fact, a villain, one of the Dark Ones, and that she, well treated or not, was still essentially his prisoner.

"Sometimes you make it really hard to like you," she murmured as her tears welled in the corners of her eyes, and yet the unavoidable brushing of her lips against his was still so irresistibly stimulating that despite her turbulent emotions, her body went atremble and her breath became hot and ragged.

Hook grinned and spoke to her in a silky tone. "And yet, in truth, you find me absolutely irresistible. Funny how contradictory emotions can be sometimes."

That arrogant smile! How dare he smile at her like that when she... Oh, it just wasn't fair! She hated the situation she found herself in. She hated that she was such a damsel! She hated being his helpless prisoner, and she hated how much power he had over her! Just one look, the tilt of his head, a single expression, a flash of teeth... They were all her undoing. She hated this... and yet... she also loved how domineering he could be. It was so messed up!

"I also find you... absolutely... arrogant..." Her tone was reproving and angry, and yet her words were slow and slurred, as though she were intoxicated and he was the offending drink of which she'd foolishly imbibed.

His lips were brushing against hers even more now. His head was tilting. Mia's eyes were beginning to flutter. She could feel his breath mixing with her hot puffs of air. He was going to...

"AHEM!"

They quickly drew apart.

"There be rooms upstairs fer the likes of that," said Silver.

"I've never known you to be a prude, John Silver," said Hook.

"Prude?" he laughed. "Never. Just don't need the two o' ya snoggin' right in front o' me whilst I'm tryin' ta enjoy me drink," he said, draining it at a draught.

Mia blushed. She'd never been so mortified. Why did Hook have to try and seduce her right in front of Silver? Silver! Perhaps... Perhaps...

"And what if I were to appeal to Mr. Silver for help?" she asked, aiming the question at both men. She stole a desperate glance at Silver. "Would you?"

"I appreciate ye lookin' ta me, lass. Thinking' I be yer means of escape is certainly flatterin'. Been a long while since last a woman gazed so desperately at me, seekin' me assistance." He shook his head. "But I not be 'ere ta get into an entanglement with Jim's fury. And as I stated before, me sailin' days are behind me. No, I'm content to sit on me treasures and remain till the end of me days as Governor Silver of Puerto Dorado."

"Treasures?" said Hook with narrowed gaze. "You said you lost the treasure of Coeur du Mer because it was cursed!"

"Aye, I did that," said Silver. "But I didn't say I didn't find other riches after we parted company." Silver gave Mia a benevolent smile. "The most I c'n offer ye, lass, is a comfortable place ta stay while yer 'ere. Ye an' Jim, if he'd like, are welcome ta stay at the Governor's Estate fer the duration of yer stay."

"Gee, thanks," said Mia sarcastically, tossing Hook an annoyed look. "That totally makes up for the fact that I'm stuck with this kidnapping, unscrupulous man of darkness."

"Oh dear. Trouble in paradise, James?" Ninette had just arrived with their food. "A shame you couldn't have picked a more agreeable woman to be your... what was it? Lover?" She tittered and gave Mia a malign look, which Mia returned. "Anyway, James, dear, you'll forgive me that I must see to other patrons, but I'll leave you in the capable hands of Gwendolyn."

She jerked her head in the direction of a busty, blue-eyed brunette whose barmaid skirt was even shorter than Mia's wench's skirt.

"You remember Gwendolyn, don't you, James?"

She gave both him and Mia a meaningful look, and Mia knew she was intentionally suggesting that Hook had once had some sort of tryst with this woman as well. It seemed she had sensed the tension between Mia and Hook and sought to drive a further wedge between them.

"Anyway, James... When this little ball and chain," she gave Mia another malignant look, "grows tiresome, remember how much fun you had with me. People say my best qualities are that I'm so patient and forgiving. Amongst my... other assets, of course."

She leaned over the table as she set their plates upon it, giving them all a good view down the front of her blouse.

"On the house, Mr. Silver," she said, placing a second mug of ale in front of him. "Oh, and..."

She whispered in Silver's ear as her hand slipped down his shirt, her fingers playing in his chest hair. Despite this, her eyes remained on Hook, and Mia knew she was doing it just to make him jealous, just as she knew whatever she was saying to Silver was a lewd proposition of some sort. Flashing one last sardonic smile at Hook and Mia, Ninette sashayed away.

Hook rolled his eyes. Between Silver's cryptic warnings and Ninette's petty jealousy, he was beginning to regret having stepped foot in La Cantina.

"Pay her no heed, Mia. Everyone knows men engage in silly affairs when they're in port here, and these loose women are more than happy to provide the escape they so desperately crave. But none of them hold a candle to a real woman of beauty and intellect."

"Like I care about her," said Mia scathingly, "or what you may have done with other women. It's nothing to me." She stabbed violently at her meat and potatoes and took a bite. At least the food here was good.

"Vindictiveness is certainly not an attractive quality in a woman," said Hook, glaring after Ninette.

Silver took a swig of his fresh ale and belched contentedly. "True 'nuff, Jim-boy. But the rest o' her qualities are plenty attractive," he said with a grin.

Mia rolled her eyes. Between Silver acting as a harbinger of bad things to come, Hook's refusal to see reason, and the antagonistic barmaid, what at first seemed like an exhilarating adventure was growing old and unpleasant very quickly. But she had no idea just how unpleasant it was about to get.

The doors to the pub flew open and four haggard pirates burst in. Their wild eyes and crazed expressions marked them as desperate men; men who had met with the reaper and lived to tell the tale, men who were frightened and angry over what they had suffered. This was a crew you didn't want to mess with. Mia could practically smell their intent, and she wasn't alone. Upon their arrival, the entire pub had gone silent as the grave.

The men staggered to the bar, the loudest of them shouting at Ninette. "ALE! GIMME ALE! YOUR BEST ALE FOR ME AND ME MATES! NOW!"

Ninette let out a fearful squeak and hurried to do his bidding. One of the pirates seized a man who was sitting at the bar and tossed him clear across the room and took his seat, banging his fists on the bar impatiently. No one else made a sound. You could've heard a pin drop. When Ninette set their mugs in front of them, the men gulped them down greedily.

When finished, the leader wiped his mouth on the back of his torn sleeve and threw his empty mug across the room. It shattered against the wall. A woman ran, screaming, from the pub. Seeing that he had their undivided attention, the man addressed all present.

"Be ye warned! Steer clear o' the northern waters! There be monsters about! We be the sole survivors of the wreck o' The Jewel! The Sea Witch came upon us a fortnight ago, and when we could not answer her questions, she set the kraken on us!"

Mia's eyes widened. Sea Witch? Kraken?

She wasn't the only one perturbed by this news. Fearful whispers broke out across the pub.

"Sea witch? Did he say the Sea Witch?"

"The kraken!"

"Me and these three 'ere are all tha' remain to tell the tale!" the man continued, catering to the patrons' morbid curiosity. "We barely escaped with our lives!"

"Beware the Sea Witch!" his mate echoed in an equally frantic voice. "She searches for Captain James Hook! If'n ye know not where he is, she'll set her pet on ye, and ye'll all meet the same fate as The Jewel!"

A cold chill ran down Mia's spine. The Sea Witch was searching for Hook?

Hook groaned and massaged the bridge of his nose. "Brimstone and gall..."

Silver crossed his arms, looking flustered but nonetheless smug. "I warned ye, dinna I?"

A man a few tables away from them leapt to his feet and thrust a dirty finger in their direction. "There!" he cried. "There be James Hook! I can'na be mistaken, for I see a ghastly hook where 'is right hand ought ta be!"

Uh oh, thought Mia, glancing desperately at Hook.

As all eyes turned their way, Hook rose slowly to his feet. "And what matter is it to me that you suffered such a fate? Perhaps a little fib like, 'Hook sails off the Caribah coast,' would have saved you such anguish. I doubt screeching, 'I don't know,' much pleased the Sea Witch."

Mia winced. His lack of empathy would certainly earn him no favors with these angry scallywags. She wasn't alone in her thoughts. Silver shook his head disapprovingly.

"Aye," he said ironically, "That'll talk 'em down."

Sure enough, the other men joined their self-appointed leader in his face-off against Hook.

"Methinks it will matter a great deal to yeh once we get through with yeh!" said the leader, drawing his sword.

"Aye!" chimed one of his mates. "Lyin' be the coward's way, and we be not cowards! But perhaps you, Captain Hook, bully of little boys, are the coward!"

An audible gasp ran through the crowd. Mia risked a glance at Hook. As expected, he was fury personified. His teeth were bared, and his eyes were glinting dangerously. His accusers seemed not to notice, either that or they didn't care.

"What... did you say?" said Hook. "You may not be cowards, but you've revealed that you are nothing but dunderheads with no sense of self-preservation. The deaths of your comrades are your own doing for lack of quick thinking. And now you come to Hook, daring to defile my name? You miss your shipmates?" He drew his bell guard rapier. "I shall gladly send you to them!"

"You will be made to pay for our comrades, you coward!" the leader shouted. "And you will pay for your foolish words of insult!"

With swords drawn, the men stalked towards their table and Mia suddenly realized the position she was in - between Hook and his pursuers.

"Mia, get down!" ordered Hook, stepping forward and flinging her aside.

Swords clashed. Mia stifled a scream and retreated until her back was to the far wall. People were watching in fascination. Others were running from the pub. Mia wished she could join them, but the fight was happening between her and the exit, and her eyes were helplessly fixated on the duelists.

Hook was a formidable swordsman. And strangely, there was almost a beauty to the way he fought. It was so graceful. Not like his opponent, whose footwork paled in comparison and who lacked the same finesse which Hook displayed with his rapier. Nevertheless, the man was not to be trifled with. At the moment, they appeared evenly matched.

Mia was glad they did not all attack Hook at once. They were already sore about being labeled as cowards; perhaps they did not wish that accusation to be validated by ambushing Hook completely. But that didn't mean they were above playing dirty.

"TAKE HIS WOMAN!" shouted the man fighting Hook.

Mia watched in horror as one of the four pirates strode towards her. With her back against the wall, there was no escape. As he neared, she attempted to dart to the side, but he quickly hooked an arm around her waist and slung her over his shoulder. Dizzy and disoriented, Mia could only hang upside-down against the sweaty, smelly back as the sound of steel continued to clash throughout the pub.

"HOW DARE YOU!" shouted Hook. "Interjecting an uninvolved woman into this battle? You want to talk cowardice, that's cowardice!" With impressive strength, Hook shoved his opponent backwards.

The pirate holding Mia laughed. "Who says we're gettin' her all interjected? We're pirates, mate! We just takes what we likes... and we really like this here lass." He gave Mia's bottom a solid swat for emphasis.

"H-HEY! YOU PERVERTED CREEP!" she shouted, but was roughly jostled for her efforts.

"Ooh... Lookie here. She's got 'er name written on 'er bloomers. Victoria's Secret. Well, well, Victoria... Let's see what the big secret is under these here drawers o' yours." He dumped Mia onto her back on the bar and crawled on top of her.

"BAD FORM!" Hook shouted at the man who mounted Mia as a second man moved in to attack him.

Hook deflected his sword with his rapier before driving his hook into the man's shoulder. The man screamed as Hook withdrew his steel appendage and kicked him in the chest, sending him staggering backwards, clutching his bloody shoulder wound.

Before Hook could run to Mia's aid, the first man who attacked lunged again. Hook quickly sidestepped him and the man fell into the table, spilling Silver's ale. Regaining his senses, the man reached into his sash to draw a pistol, but Silver, who until now had been content to remain uninvolved in Hook's affairs, smashed a dinner plate over the man's head.

"Ye spilled me ale, ya cadaverous sod!"

The pirate atop Mia hesitated when he saw what had become of his mates. "HEY, YOU SON OF A-"

Mia took advantage of his hesitation and threw a right hook into his jaw. The blow sent the man tumbling off the bar.

"Arrgh! The lass has got some some fire in 'er!" he said, rubbing his wounded jaw. "C'mere!"

Mia screamed and rolled off the counter only to be caught by the fourth pirate who had yet to engage. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and pulled her to him as he buried his nose in her hair, taking a deep sniff.

"Mmm. Perhaps we'll be takin' this girl as a token o' yer sympathies for our fallen comrades, Cap'n!" he taunted Hook. "What say you to that, eh?" He took a rough grasp of Mia's chin as he trailed his tongue along the side of her face.

"HOOK! HELP!"

Those were certainly two words she never thought she'd hear strung together, and yet she'd been the one to utter them. Hook's eyes burned with a murderous hatred for the man who held her in his captive embrace.

"You are not worthy to touch that woman, you wretched piece of slime-encrusted flotsam!" he shouted. "You will unhand her!"

"Ooh. Not worthy ta touch 'er, am I?" said the pirate with raised eyebrows. "Such passionate fury. This girl must be quite the catch indeed!"

In Hook's blind spot, the man he'd stabbed in the shoulder struggled to his feet and was advancing, looking to stab Hook from behind. Mia opened her mouth to call out a warning, but she never got the chance. Whether it was the shifting of her eyes that clued him in or his own intuition, Hook lifted his right arm and thrust his rapider beneath it with his left, running the man through in a single fluid motion without ever turning his gaze.

Blood gurgled from the man's mouth and he crumpled to the floor. Mia winced and averted her gaze, suddenly feeling rather sick. She'd never seen a man killed before, and certainly not in so grisly a fashion. At the very least, Hook was formidable, and Mia was counting on him to save her. Hook stalked towards her captor.

"Unhand her, or I'll make your lucky survival a very brief one!"

However, the man who held her did not seem keen on releasing her. "You killed me mate," he growled. "That ain't exactly given me much incentive not ta be doin' the same to yer wench 'ere." He brought his sword to Mia's throat.

Hook hesitated. There was little he could do to free Mia from this man's grasp. And no one was exactly jumping to assist him. They feared him too much, and the idea that he was now apparently targeted by the Sea Witch made people even less inclined to help.

Preoccupied with Mia's dire predicament, Hook did not see the leader rising from the table where Silver had hit him. The man gave his head a small shake. He did not seem to recall who had struck him the blow over the head, but his murderous glare was on Hook as he quietly stole forward with his flintlock pointed at Hook's back.

"BEHIND YOU!" Mia shouted.

Hook spun around just in time. Before the man could fire his pistol, Hook cast anchor in his stomach. The gun went off. The shot whizzed past Mia and her captor. It came so close that Mia felt her hair lifting in the accompanying wind. The bullet found its mark in the shelf behind the bar, shattering a bottle of liquor.

Her captor thusly distracted, Mia saw her chance at freedom and darted across the room, taking refuge beneath an unoccupied table. Here, she hoped she would be safe from the crossfire and remaining scoundrels looking to take her hostage. The gun which had been dropped by the man Hook had just killed lay within her reach.

No, I... I really shouldn't. I'd only make things worse. But maybe... at least to keep it out of their hands... and if it becomes absolutely necessary to defend myself...

Slowly, Mia reached for the gun.

With Mia free from the pirate's clutches, Hook was clear to advance. This man would pay most dearly for threatening Mia's life. But before Hook could properly punish the miscreant, the pirate Mia had decked across the jaw came at him, brandishing his sword.

"You think this a wise move?" asked Hook. "I'll cut you down like a dog, just as I did your mates. If you have a brain in your head, you'd relish your survival from the Sea Witch's wrath and flee now!"

The man didn't answer. Instead, he let out a yell as he came at Hook, steel meeting steel.

"Well," said Hook with a vicious grin. "That answers my inquiry about your brain, doesn't it?"

The fight continued. The remaining patrons went ducking for cover, while Silver simply sat at his table, lighting a smoke and enjoying the show. It was a rare treat to watch Captain Jas Hook engage in a fight which didn't end with him running from something that wanted to devour him.

The pirate made such brutish swings with his cutlass. He had power, but lacked true skill. Hook dodged and deflected the blows easily.

"Brute strength is not enough if you wish to tangle with me," Hook warned him. "You lack the necessary skill. Disengage now and I will spare your life."

"Ha! That's some purty big talk from a man afraid of a croc!"

That did it. Mia averted her gaze as Hook ran him through.

"Die... like the idiotic sea dog you are!"

That was three down, but Hook did not have long to revel in his victory, for he suddenly felt the cold barrel of a gun pressed against the base of his skull.

"Don't even think about movin'," the remaining pirate hissed. "Yer a dead man, James Hook."

And, indeed, it would seem that this was the case. With his sword still buried in his previous opponent's midsection and a gun pressed to the back of his head, Hook found himself in a truly hopeless situation. Was this to be the end of Jas Hook?

Hook's forget-me-nots were at full bloom as the last member of the quartet got the drop on him, ready to make himself famous by being the man to successfully kill the notorious Captain Hook. No doubt in this moment, the man fancied himself the new legend of the Dizgaian Seas. Survivor of the Sea Witch's wrath and killer of Captain Hook likely had a nice ring to it in his mind.

For Hook, it was an embarrassment to be caught off his guard by a fool like this. He'd been certain his inevitable end would have been on the deck of the Jolly Roger, or perhaps on the soil of Neverland in a final duel to the death with his aggravating but no-less-worthy opponent, Pan. He certainly hadn't pictured it being at the hands of some no-name sea wolf who got lucky. Despite Hook's attempts to even the score, the numbers game caught up with him.

"If this is how it ends," he said through clenched teeth, "get on with it and make yourself famous, idjit."

Mia remained hunkered down, trembling beneath the table. Though he'd defeated three of his four opponents, Hook had lost the battle. Now... now he was going to die. Mia didn't want to see him die, but what could she possibly do to stop it? Slowly, she gazed down at the gun in her hand.

Woah, woah. No, no, no. Don't even think about it, Mia. A gun is one thing, but you've never fired a flintlock before. Besides, if Hook dies, you're free. You're no longer his prisoner.

And yet, if Hook were to die, she could very well become someone else's prisoner - a prisoner to this pirate, or perhaps another. She wasn't exactly in friendly territory.

But maybe not, she thought. What if you were to take Silver up on his offer and stay with him at the Governor's manor, at least until you figured out something better? Besides, who's to say a benevolent pirate or privateer might not...

Oh, who was she kidding? When it came to pirates, Hook's company was the safest. He didn't intend to kill her or do unspeakable things to her. The same could not be said of other pirates.

As the man cocked the pistol, a single line entered Mia's head, spoken by a familiar voice from her past.

'Thus perished James Hook.'

Mia closed her eyes, feeling the tears streaming down her cheeks. From a very young age, even while she was rooting for Peter Pan, she had felt pity for Captain Hook. And it was pity she felt for him now; pity and something else that stirred deep within her. This was not how the story ended, not with Hook dying at the hands of a second-rate scoundrel.

As Hook prepared himself for death, he heard the loud bang. And yet... he still stood. The black shroud of death did not engulf him. Instead, he heard the man's pistol drop to the floor, followed by a scream and a curse. Hook turned to see his would-be assassin clutching his bleeding shoulder.

"That blasted wench! That blasted wench got me in the shoulder!"

Behind the pirate, Hook saw Mia standing with her feet shoulders-width apart, a flintlock held in her trembling hands. The lovely, feisty artist had saved his life.

"Mia..."

Slowly, the girl lowered the gun. Her face paled and she swayed on her feet, looking as though she might swoon. Hook shoved the bleeding man out of the way and ran to her, catching her before she could fall to the floor.

"Mia?"

The girl was in shock.

"Mia!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361K 12.7K 41
فيصل بحده وعصبيه نطق: ان ماخذيتك وربيتك ماكون ولد محمد الوجد ببرود وعناد : ان مارفضتك ماكون بنت تركي !
55.2M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
43.6K 984 22
Isang groupo Ng kalalakihan na tagapag mana Ng ari-arian Ng mga magulang nito at groupo Ng kababaihan na anak Ng mayayamang political at may Isang da...
553 80 27
Before he could start his journey through Johto, Micheal's family moved to a new region called Tarjona. There, trainers can't begin an adventure unti...