Untrue Happiness

By monkeybaby7

Guilt is a horrible thing. It pulls you out of yourself and leaves an irreversible darkness in your soul. G... More

Untrue Happiness
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Chapter 3

127 5 0
By monkeybaby7

Hey guys! Next chapter! I really enjoyed writing this chapter so I hope you like it!

I just started college and I'm loving it so far. Classes are interesting and I only have class three day a week. Sure, I have more homework but nothing that I can't handle yet!

:D

Enjoy!

Chapter 3

My parents and I were never really close. To me they were just providers. They provided food, water, clothing and shelter and that’s about it. Love and affection weren’t really on their list to dole out. Even with themselves, they didn’t act like they were in love. We all got along but there was no feeling that we were a family, just people living in the same house.

It never really bothered me that much. I was so used to the feeling of not having anyone that you could trust and rely on so completely. Except for one person in my life, my grandmother. Whenever I couldn’t take the loneliness, I would go to her house and just her presence would make me feel better. She would make sure that I was fed and talk to me about my day. I knew that she truly cared for me and would do anything so that I was happy and safe.

It was when I was fourteen that things with my parents seemed to shift. Often I would come home to them fighting or not talking to each other at all. Later I found out that Dad was having some troubles at work and that it was possible that he would be laid off. Mom was getting angry, blaming this on him, which in turn got him mad and the cycle went back and forth until the day that it happened. He finally lost his job. It was just about as I was starting high school too. The only choice he had was to move to Massachusetts to find another job. This meant that all of us had to go.

I was devastated. Starting high school was scary enough but moving to a new state where I didn’t know anyone and leaving my friends behind was unimaginable. Thinking that my grandmother would step in and save me, I told her about my fears and that I was worried about starting over with them. I may have even slipped in a few words about my parent’s marital problems to gain some sympathy points. My hope was that she would offer me to live with her while I attended high school with my friends until college. I didn’t really care if my parent’s left me behind. Actually, I had been secretly hoping that I would get to move in with my grandma for a while.

It’s not like she didn’t have the room or money. I would have had no problem with getting a job to help pay if that was the case. When she didn’t offer, I suggested with a puppy-dog face that it would be nice if I could just stay with her.

She laughed at first but when she saw that I was serious she shook her head with a frown. Her excuse was that she was getting too old and couldn’t deal with the stress of having another teenager to worry about and look after.

And with that, a few weeks later, we had packed up and left to move to a new house in a different state. I was so mad that my grandmother had abandoned me like that when she knew how unhappy I was with my parents. I didn’t talk to her the first few months that I was there. Something that I would come to regret.

She died that winter leaving me alone in the world with just my parents and several thousand dollars in my name for college only. She knew how much I wanted to go to college to get away from my parents…But what hurt the most is that she didn’t tell me that she was sick. The people you trust the most, hurt you the most.

I got by high school as best as I could but I was so relieved when it was time for college. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough money even with my grandmother’s inheritance to live in a dorm, at least for my first year. I had jobs off and on but I was determined to live at school my sophomore year.

As I had to start paying for tuition and other college related things, money problems began to surface again along with the incessant yelling and screaming from my parents. It finally reached a breaking point as my second semester started and my dad had enough. He wanted a divorce from my mother.

I should have been more surprised but I wasn’t. I knew my parents were never really in love. They never acted it and I was constantly wondering why they even got married in the first place. I knew that my parents had me out of wedlock but if they hated each other so much how did they get in the position of having me in the first place?

Since Dad moved out a few weeks ago I haven’t heard anything from him except for when he was on the phone with my mother screaming so loud that his voice carried over to me from across the room. In all honesty, I knew that if my parents were to get divorced that this would happen. I was never really a ‘Daddy’s girl. I’ve always felt like a burden to him due to the fact that every time he had to give me money for school or clothing he would frown and rub his head as he reached into his back pocket and pulled out some cash-always at least five less dollars than I needed- and throw it on the table saying, “Here.”

He never smiled. Not once in my life did I see him chuckle or grin at something me or my mother said. The only T.V he watched was ESPN and at dinner he would just sit there in silence unless he was arguing with mom about something irrelevant.

When I was little I had always begged my parents for a sibling. I was so lonely that I didn’t even care if it were a boy or girl. As long as they loved and looked up to me, I would be happy. No surprise, this didn’t happen. I grew up without anyone to share with or to torture but I soon realized this was a good thing. My parents weren’t happy with one child, why would two change that?

It was clear that nothing could save their marriage. In a way it’s a relief that it’s over. Once everything is over with and they are officially divorced they won’t have to speak -argue rather, anymore and maybe I can get some peace from them.

Since finals were coming up and school will be out for the summer, Farah and I were doubling up hours at the Café to make more money in hopes of having enough to move into a dorm together for sophomore year. I was desperate to get away from my mother even if in the next few months she will calm down, I still don’t want to deal with her. Just because she is horrible now, doesn’t mean she wasn’t bad before.

One time when I was seven, at Christmas I had been so excited to open presents because I had been hoping and begging Santa for a keyboard. I really wanted to learn how to play because I saw this girl on TV once playing and she was so good. I wanted to be as good as her. As I opened the last gift under the tree I was disappointed that I didn’t receive what I wanted the most. Mom noticed that I didn’t look happy and asked me what was wrong. When I told her that I wanted a keyboard she slapped me and said that I was being greedy and should be glad I got anything at all. Bawling I ran to my room and hid under my blankets for the rest of the day. I didn’t even get dinner. Let’s just say it wasn’t my best Christmas.

Deciding to take Farah’s advice with dealing with my mom as I got home, I quietly went upstairs to change out of my work clothes. I knew if I wanted to make it out of the house before she saw me that I wouldn’t be able to eat something here. Not that there was anything to eat anyway.

As I made my way back downstairs all dolled up in a mini skirt and red tube-top, my hair flowing down my back in loose curls and my favorite black pumps, I did my best to sneak out the front door before my mother could catch me. As luck would have it, she did catch me right as I was about to open the door.

“Where are you sneaking off to?” She sniped, leaning against the wall in a too-short silky bathrobe.

“Just going out with Chris.” I gave her a tight smile and went to open the door again.

“That gay-boy that you’re always going out with? Why don’t you date someone who is actually in to your lady parts?” She chuckled humorlessly.

Clenching my fists I turned back to her with narrowed eyes, “Stop calling him that. Just because he is gay doesn’t mean that it defines who he is. His name is Chris and I’m not dating him, clearly. I can hang out with guys without having sex with them.”

Not that I really did except with Chris but she didn’t need to know that. I haven’t had a proper boyfriend since my senior year. It was a bad breakup and left some lingering feelings of resentment in me. I didn’t trust many people to begin with but since then, the only relationships I’ve had with guys lasted a night at most. Except with Chris, he is only the only guy that I can really trust but that’s because he is gay and isn’t going to break my heart.

Mom thinks because she hasn’t seen me with another guy besides Chris that I’m warding off guys or secretly dating him even though he is most definitely, one-hundred percent gay. There is no denying it. He always has his blonde hair styled to perfection with gel, his tall, lanky body is accessorized even more so than mine with Hollister, American Eagle, whatever preppy clothing store you can think of and skinny jeans that show off his chicken-like legs. The only thing that might make you think twice is the baseball caps he likes to wear. He loves sports-mostly baseball. He says because he likes the game but I think he really just likes to watch the men run around in those pants. Once he whips his phone out with pictures of Lady Gaga plastered all over it, you won’t have anything to question anymore.

I love him though. Our personalities go to together perfectly. He gets my pessimistic tendencies and cynical view of the world. His parents weren’t very accepting of him when he came out and that left him with a dark view of people. We also have the same taste in guys, tall, dark and muscular. When we go out to clubs together we’re known as the ‘One, Two Punch’ because we knock guys out with our good looks and charm. He’s my wingman and I’m his wing-girl.

“Don’t talk to me like that Audrey May. And who said you could go out?” My mother said sternly.

I was going to follow Farah’s advice, I really was but this woman just brings out the anger in me.

“I did. I’m nineteen; I can go out when I want.” I said crossing my arms.

She scoffed, “If you live in my house-“

"You live by my rules,” I finished in a mocking tone, “Yeah, I know. I’m sure those words have been said a million times. How unoriginal. At least mix it up a little. Maybe do it Yoda style, like, If live in my house you do, my rules you live by.”“

Her face must have turned fifty shades of red before she spluttered out, “That’s it, get your ass upstairs.”

I grinned, a little too pleased at myself, “No thanks, I’m just going to go meet up with Chris. Don’t wait up.”

Finally getting the door open and stepping out my mother followed screaming.

“Don’t you dare! If you leave don’t bother coming back.” She warned her finger pointing viciously at me.

I didn’t stop. I knew she was bluffing and even if she wasn’t it was my dream come true. I didn’t want to stay anymore than she did. Sure, I didn’t really have anywhere else to go but Farah and Chris wouldn’t just leave me out on the streets.

I waved her off, “Like I said, don’t wait up.”

A second later I heard the door slam as I got into my car. Taking a deep breath, I composed myself before a smile snuck its way on my face. That Yoda line was pure genius.

~

Chris laughed as I downed my third shot. Since he was already twenty-one, I didn’t need my fake ID. I just got my alcohol from him.

“What did she say after that?” He asked a proud grin on his face.

“She told me to get my ass upstairs.” I laughed.

“Clearly, that didn’t happen. So what, did you just walk out?”

“Basically, yeah.” I shrugged reaching over to take a sip of his pink martini.

“This is such a girly drink.” I said after placing it back down.

“A girly drink that tastes damn good.” He winked.

“Whatever. Come on. I just saw a group of guys walk by and one of them has to at least be bisexual.” I stood and grabbed his hand dragging him over to the hot guys that were crowding around a table.

It was Chris’ turn to pick a club tonight and like always he chose the LGBT club downtown. Not that I minded that much. It was a more comfortable environment. I didn’t have to worry about getting hit on so much and it was fun trying to find a guy that liked women as much as men.

“Hey.” I smiled as I get to the table of about seven guys, Chris right next to me.

I leaned my hip on the table facing most of the guys taking a quick glance to see if the majority are gay. It looked like it. One of guys with short, black hair and a muscular tone had a small, pink tiara on his head and a sash that says ‘Bachelorette’ on it.

“Oh, is this you’re bachelor party?” I asked with a grin.

He nodded with a smirk of his own, “Yup, I’m tying the knot tomorrow.”

“Congratulations!”

“Thanks. So what is a pretty lady like you and you’re cute friend doing over here?” He asked checking Chris out.

“We were just wondering if two of you lovely fellows would like to dance with us.” I glanced around knowing that even if they are all gay that I wouldn’t get turned down.

“I’d be more than happy to.” A handsome blondie smiled mischievously at Chris taking his hand and leading him to the dance floor.

Sending me a happy smile, I gave Chris an approving wink before turning back to the table.

“And what about me?” I pouted.

“I can help you out, sweetheart. My name’s Justin.” A hunk in button down shirt said moving towards me.

As he moved away, another guy became visible and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Hiding behind him was Matt, the guy who came into the Café earlier that.

“Twice in one day, Matt?” I smirked at him which caused him to flush.

He looked like he wanted to say something but before he could think of something to say Justin cut him off.

“You know little Matty?”

“Yeah, he’s in my lit class.” I said still staring at him.

Maybe he doesn’t like me then.

“You wanna dance?” I asked Matt who is trying to hide his embarrassment.

I can’t say he is doing it too well but I want to find out why he is here.

“Uh, s-sure.” He stuttered.

He just stood there and I rolled my eyes taking his hand and leading him to the dance floor near Chris and his blondie are dancing to a remix of Rihanna’s We found love.

Looking confused and not sure what to do, Matt gave me a weak smile and he awkwardly reached for my waist. Rolling my eyes once again in annoyance, I took his hands and placed them firmly on my hips, pulling him closer. Moving back and forth to get in a rhythm, Matt kept his gaze down trying to match what I was doing. It took a few minutes but he eventually got on the right beat.

“So, I didn’t know that you play for the other team.” I casually stated.

His head snapped up giving me and gave me a bewildered look like he forgot I was there.

“What team?” He asked.

I smirked as I let him figure it out for himself.

“Oh. Oh! No, no, no.” He corrected with an appalled expression that I had to laugh at.

“I’m not gay. It’s my brother, Todd’s bachelor party. This is where he wanted to go so I didn’t really have much of a choice.” Matt explained with a bit of a reddish tint to his face.

“Are you sure? I saw you looking at my friend’s butt before.” I teased.

“I didn’t!”

I busted out into laughter, “Geez, I’m just kidding. Calm down. I know you’re not gay. You would think having a brother who is gay you wouldn’t be so homophobic.”

His eyes widened, “I’m not homophobic. I just don’t want you to think that I’m gay.”

“And why is that?” I asked, trailing my manicured finger down his neck.

“Uhh, b-b-because…” He gulped.

My teasing got cut short when Justin came up and patted Matt roughly on the back.

“My turn, kid.” He said pulling him away.

“O-okay.” Matt said, promptly walking back to the table.

I scoffed at him, if he wasn’t even going to stand up for himself, I didn’t want to dance with him anymore.

Turning to Justin, I gave him my signature seductive smirk. Triple S as I called it.

“Hey.”

“Hey beautiful.” He smiled down at me.

As the music picked up we started to move our bodies together. Eventually, Chris and his guy came to join us and we spent the next hour and a half working up a sweat.

When we got back to their table, Justin went to go get us drinks. Most of the guys weren’t there anymore except for Matt who straightened up when I sat next to him.

“Having fun?” I asked leaning towards him so he could hear me.

He nodded his head in a way that made me think that no, he wasn’t.

“You should trying getting up and dancing.” I suggested.

“I’m not much of a dancer.” He said.

I raised my eyebrows at him, “You were doing fine with me before. Just come up with us.”

“I don’t think so.” He shook his head.

“Why did you even come then?” I muttered, sitting back.

“What?”

“Nothing.” I waved off.

“Here we are guys.” Justin said setting down four beers.

As everyone took a bottle I looked to Matt, “Nothing for you?”

“Naw, I’m the designated driver.”

“How very responsible of you.”

“I guess.” He shrugged.

“He doesn’t look like your type.” Chris suddenly whispered in my ear.

“He’s not.” I agreed.

“Then why are you flirting with him?”

“I’m not! I’m messing with him. He’s got a crush on me.”

I looked back to Matt who was trying to act uninterested but every few seconds he would peak a glance at me. He was cute in an adorable, shy, geeky sort of way. But I want confidence in a guy, someone who is able to keep up with me and that I don’t have to accommodate into feeling at ease. It’s quick and go with me. Matt is a relationship guy, more suited for Farah than me.

“You, Miss Audrey Samuels, are a heartbreaker.” Chris chuckled.

“Hey, guys know what they are getting when they get involved with me.” I defended.

“Honey, involvement requires you actually knowing a guy for more than a few hours.”  He pointed out.

Faking a gasp, I pushed him away from me, “Are you calling me a slut?”

“No…just that you get around.”

I laughed, “Contrary to popular belief, I don’t sleep with every guy I see.”

Chris gave me a disbelieving look.

“I’m serious. Sure, I’m a big flirt and make out with a lot guys but I’ve only been with like, seven guys at most.”

I may act like a slut sometimes, doesn’t mean I am one.

“That’s this year right?” He wondered.

“Yeah, I mean I’ve had boyfriends before.” I said taking a last sip of my beer.

Chris actually seemed surprised, “Really? You?”

“Of course. I wasn’t just born this way.” I told him getting uncomfortable.

“Huh, what happened then to make you so easy?” He asked teasingly.

“Just jerks being jerks. Anyway, you want to get going? I have work in the morning and Farah will kill me if I’m late.” I said diverting his attention.

“Yeah, I guess. Just let me get that guys number first. Are you going to stay at my place tonight so you don’t have to face the wrath of your mother?” Chris said standing up.

“Nah, she’s probably passed out by now. I’ll just have to avoid her in the morning.”

“Alright. Be right back.” He walked away leaving me alone with Justin and Matt who both seemed to be arguing about something.

“So I’ll be seeing you boys. Gotta go.” I made a motion to stand but Justin pulled me back.

“You can’t leave yet.”

I frowned, “And why not?”

“Because I didn’t give you my number.” He smirked reaching into his pocket pulling out a pen.

“You keep pens in your pocket?” I asked dubiously.

“You never know when you’re going to meet pretty ladies like yourself.” He winked as he wrote down his seven digits on a napkin.

Matt scoffed but when we turned to look at him, he turned it into a cough. Grinning, I turned back to Justin and gave him the Triple S, flaunting it in front of Matt. Evil, I know. But oh, so much fun.

“Well, good thing then.” I said as he handed me the napkin, lingering my hand over his.

“Ready?” Chris said appearing next to me.

“Yup. See you in class, Matt.” I winked at him.

“Uh, y-yeah. See you.” He waved awkwardly back.

“Bye, Justin.” I said flirtingly.

As we walked away Chris laughed, “You’re so bad.”

“I know.” I smirked.

~

When I got home, I wasn’t surprised that mom was passed out in the living room, the TV still on and a few empty bottle of beer on the side table. Sneaking past with my heels in hand and went to the kitchen. Going to the cabinet to get a glass, I was aggravated to find they were all dirty.

Really, did she do this just to annoy me?

Going to the sink, I picked up the cleanest one I could find and rinsed it out before filling it up with cold water. Gulping it down, I stared at the dirty dishes. I looked to the clock which said it was almost two in the morning.

Groaning, I started filling the sink with warm, soapy water and piling the dishes in. I guess ten more minutes couldn’t hurt.

~

"You live by my rules,” I finished in a mocking tone, “Yeah, I know. I’m sure those words have been said a million times. How unoriginal. At least mix it up a little. Maybe do it Yoda style, like, If live in my house you do, my rules you live by.”

OMG Best thing I have ever written. It just makes me laugh so much.

So, what are your thoughts about Audrey thus far?

What do you think about her relationship with her Mom?

Do you like Chris?

Do you feel bad for Matt?

Have a nice weekend! Thank you for reading.

Vote, Comment, point out errors :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

465 63 12
-Let's get this straight. From a dead end job to a useless crazy ex boyfriend- my happiness is with my best friend yet the fear of our relationship e...
50.6K 5.7K 49
The things I knew that were once unethical, were bound to be saintly. The dreams I dreamt once upon a time, seemed to be an epitome of nightmares. Th...
30 0 67
Ethan + Iria, until death do us apart and we meet in hell. You could say it was the original promise, the one they got tattooed on their skin and, ab...
25.6K 537 23
What happens when you're in love with two guys at the same time. You love them both but you can't be with both because thats not right. Relations bec...