The Moon's Shadow

By gaiaskye1

Silence. I could hear my heart beating in my chest, thumping loudly in my ears. My icy eyes were met with a p... More

☾ Chapter One
☾ Chapter Two
☾ Chapter Three
☾ Chapter Four
☾ Chapter Five
☾ Chapter Six
☾ Chapter Seven
☾ Chapter Eight
☾Chapter Nine
☾ Chapter Ten
☾ Chapter Twelve
☾ Chapter Thirteen
☾ Chapter Fourteen
☾ Chapter Fifteen
☾ Chapter Sixteen
☾ Chapter Seventeen
☾ Chapter Eighteen
☾ Chapter Nineteen
☾ Chapter Twenty
☾ Chapter Twenty-one
☾ Chapter Twenty-two
☾ Chapter Twenty-three
☾ Chapter Twenty-four
☾ Chapter Twenty-five
☾ Chapter Twenty-six
☾ Chapter Twenty-seven
☾ Chapter Twenty-eight
☾ Chapter Twenty-nine
☾ Chapter Thirty
☾ Chapter Thirty-one
☾ Chapter Thirty-two
☾ Chapter Thirty-three
☾ Chapter Thirty-four
☾ Chapter Thirty-five
☾ Chapter Thirty-Six
☾ Chapter Thirty-seven
☾Chapter Thirty-eight
☾Chapter Thirty-nine
☾ Chapter Forty
☾ Chapter Forty-one
☾ Chapter Forty-two
☾ Chapter Fourty-three
☾ Chapter forty-four
☾ Chapter forty-five

☾ Chapter Eleven

2.5K 112 3
By gaiaskye1

Later that night, I sat on the foot of my bed, dialing the number I would never forget.

Home.

My mom answered almost immediately.

"Rhea, honey how are you?" she asked.

I miss the sound of her voice; I miss her hugs, I miss spending time in our garden together.

I sighed, I hadn't told them what happened, about the fight, about being injured, about... killing someone.

"Rhea?" her melodic voiced came through the line.

"Yeah yeah, sorry, I'm here. I'm good mom... how are you?" I answered. I would have to tell her. Eventually, I couldn't keep something like this from my family.

They would understand the pain this has caused me more than anyone the Onyx pack.

"I've missed you. You don't call nearly enough; I want to hear all about your new life, your mate. How are things with the pack? Have you made friends?" 

I felt like she was asking about my first day at school. I cut her off before she could ask another round of questions.

"Mom, I have to tell you something..." I bit my lip nervously. 

"Oh... um okay, I'm listening. Are you okay? Is it something bad? Or is it good news?"

I laughed; she could never wait around for news to be delivered.

I hesitated as I tried to force the words out of my mouth. My mom patiently waiting for me to speak.

I let out a small breath, "over a week ago; I was attacked by a Hunter."

I heard my mom gasp dramatically, I rolled my eyes slightly, I'm sure she was running to my dad to put me on speaker so he could hear the story as well, she always did that when she found out serious news.

I continued my story, "I was attacked, and I was shot with a silver bolt from a crossbow that had Wolfsbane on it. We... struggled for a bit, I fought for my life mom..." my voice began to fade, remembering the scene in my head.

I sighed, "We... I... I ended up killing the man. I don't know what happened next, but I woke up a week later."

The line was deathly silent for what seemed like forever.

"You... oh Rhea, I am so sorry you had to go through that. I am so sorry your life was put in that situation. Rhea honey..." my mom said. It was clear she didn't know what to say; knowing words over a phone could only bring so much comfort.

"Why was Alpha Jett not with you?!" my dad screamed through the phone. I moved the phone away from my ear while he yelled obscenities until he calmed down.

I had to choose my words carefully; I didn't want to let my parents know that my mate was seeing someone else and was the reason for what had happened.

"I was running through the woods, and he came out of nowhere..." I replied. Hopefully, it came off like the truth; it partially was.

"Uh-huh, and why wasn't he with you?" my dad replied.

"We um... we don't see each other, or talk..." I said shamefully.

"You're mates, and you don't talk? Rhea..." my mom sounded sad. She knew I was how upset something like this would make me.

My vision of a mate had come from my parents, seeing them so in love made me crave a mate that would be the same. When I was younger, we spent hours talking about my mate, what it would be like to find true love, one that would last forever. 

But that's not what I had been blessed with. I wasn't living the life of my parents, where it was true love the minute they laid eyes on each other. 

Hell, I wasn't sure Jett would ever let me in. The best I could hope for at this point was us being friends, having an alliance once we were mated. 

"It's okay mom; we've been working through it" I smiled, it was true. We were making progress in our relationship; the thought made my stomach fill with butterflies.

____

The following morning, I sleepily made my way to the shower to start the day. I stepped into the shower that had a giant waterfall head, letting the warm water roll down my body. There was something about warm showers in the morning; the feeling it spread on my senses was one of my favorites. 

I stared down at my leg at the hole that was still visible. It was healing, but the darkness that spread through my veins was still there. I hoped that it would heal completely, I didn't want part of my leg to look weird, it was bad enough I would have a large circular scar from where the bolt went in. 

I tore my gaze away from my leg, feeling slightly defeated, lightly touching the stitches on my side from the knife, letting out a small sigh.

If only I were better at fighting. If only I knew more. Maybe this wouldn't have happened.

I stepped out of the shower and walked over to the closet, searching for an outfit to wear. It was getting hotter, but I was self-conscious about how my leg looked right now, I didn't exactly what to show that off to the world. 

It was an ugly reminder. 

After looking through a couple of different options, I settled on a dark park of skinny jeans, a black cami with a rust color lace bralette.  

Satisfied with the outfit, I went to do my hair. I decided I would spend a little extra time to straighten it out. I usually didn't since it was so long, it was a bit of a pain in the ass and tedious, but I wanted Jett to notice me. A small smile formed on my lips at the thought.

Forty-five minutes later, I smiled when the task was finally done. A few days ago I asked Octavia to borrow some makeup; she supplied me with more than I'd ever need. 

I put on some light black eyeliner and some mascara. I didn't wear makeup too often, only for really special occasions, but today I felt adventurous. 

A cute outfit, my hair perfectly straight, my ice eyes looked brighter from the makeup. I felt confident. 

I left Jett's house and walked over to the pack house to join Octavia for breakfast. No matter how early I got up to eat, she was always here before me. I wasn't sure how she did it, but it impressed me every time. 

"Good morning!" Octavia beamed at me. She was always so cheerful in the morning.

"Good morning, Octavia" I smiled back. We had grown close to each other. She reminded me so much of my sister Leora; it felt like she was just another sister to me.

I was thankful I had one person I could genuinely connect with while I was here.

We made small talk, slowly eating our food. Part of me was disappointed that Jett hadn't come to eat with us yet, but I guess the two previous days was an improvement.

"Are you excited?" Octavia asked.

"Excited for...?" I trailed, not quite sure what she was talking about.

"Once a year we meet with the other packs and clans in the area, to maintain the treaties and relations we have. It's a big gala event, so most people don't bother with all the politics and just have fun instead. Brother and I will be going; along with Beta Rooks, I'm sure you'll be coming as well" Octavia smiled at me, giving me a wink.

"Why would you think I'd be invited to an event like that?" I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Rhea, I'm not blind. Brother stares at you all the time. He obviously has a thing for you." she rolled her eyes like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh..." was all I say. 

Geez, Rhea, you're really good with words aren't you, I scolded myself.

I hid my smile as best I could at what Octavia had said. It made me feel good that Jett was looking at me.

"Octavia.. is Alpha Jett seeing anyone. Specifically.. a blonde?" I wasn't sure if I wanted to know the answer.

Octavia sighed, "Oh so you've met Lexi?"

"Well... I don't know if I met her, so much as I watched her stick her tongue down your brother's throat..." I stabbed my fork into my food a bit harder than I meant to at the memory.

Octavia glared at nothing in particular, "That bastard. He said he was done with her a few weeks ago." She sighed and rubbed her eyes. "They've been on and off for as long as I can remember. She's a bitch, and mean, and rude, and treats everyone like crap, has the personality of a broom, did I mention she's a bitch?"

I giggled, "You might've mentioned it once or twice. If she's so bad, why are they together?"

She shrugged, "Beats me. I've talked to him about it before, but he never gives me an answer. She's probably good in bed or something."

Ouch.

I unintentionally flinched at the thought. I should've probably expected that Jett has been sexual before meeting me, but it didn't mean it didn't hurt any less.

I nodded in response, unable to form a response that didn't show how affected I was by her comment.

"Don't worry though; she won't be coming. She begged brother to bring her last year, and he didn't, I can't imagine he would bring her this year," she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah..." I mumbled, taking a drink of my tea. I can't imagine that would end well. I'm sure my jealousy would spring forward, trying to strangle her. 

The thought made me smile.

"Good morning," Jett said to us in his dreamy voice, sitting at the table across from me. I didn't even notice he had walked up.

"Good morning Jett, Octavia was telling me about the gala that is fast approaching?" I cut right to the chase; I wanted to see if he would let me go.

Jett eyed me,  formulating a response in his head, "I'm not sure you should be going to it." 

I scowled, I didn't think he rejected me in front of his sister.

"Why not?" I asked, slightly pouting my lip. I wanted to go; there weren't any fancy galas in my old pack. This sounded fun, like a chance to go explore and meet new people.

"Come on; it would be nice to have her there. I could have some female company for once," exclaimed Octavia, nodding her head like a bobblehead.

"Please, I promise you won't have to babysit me. I'll stick with you all night!" I was begging him, leaning over the table with my hands clasped, showing how much I wanted this.

Jett looked between us both, before groaning, rubbing his face. "Fineeee," he breathed through his hands. 

Octavia clapped excitedly at the turn of events, "Thank you" she whispered to Jett. He nodded in response.

Octavia then turned to me and had a grin of a cheshire cat, "This means we get to go shopping for some dresses."

That sounds fun, I squealed with excitement like a little girl.

This was the first time I was excited about something since coming here.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

684K 21.3K 55
"Go ahead, kill me," she dared. "And why would I do that?" he stalked closer, a glint in his dark eyes. "Why not? Isn't that what you came here for?"...
3.6M 99.5K 42
Mia Davis taken and put in a cell after Rogue's took over her pack. It's been a year, barely food, no showers, no were or human contact of any kind...
589 39 17
#2 New Moon Series _An enemy of an enemy is a friend_ I have yearned for a mate ever since I learnt of one. Thoughts about having someone who would l...
28.6M 878K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...