Only Ocean

By loualou19

Meghan Polinsky was excited to see her long distance boyfriend of four years when she took her trip to Brazil... More

Opening
Part 1 • Meghan
Part 2 • Lucas
Part 4 • Michael
Part 5 • Edmond
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47 • Epilogue 1
Part 48 • Epilogue 2
Part 50 • Epilogue 3
Part 51 • Epilogue 4

Part 3 • Darcy

15.2K 587 228
By loualou19

Darcy Allen's POV.
Day 1, early morning

I stared down at my outfit aunt Ginny laid out for me. I didn't want to wear frilly white socks and nice shoes that clicked when I walked. Holding onto snuffy, my sewn bunny, tighter and looking at his little almost torn off gray ear I got sad not wanting to go back home. I didn't like home. Mommy and daddy were gone and our big brown and lonely home back in Minnesota made me sad.

So that's why I'm assuming Aunt Ginny is making me go to Peru. So I can smile again before we go to Minnesota before school starts for me.

Sometimes I get really sad but I try not to let that happen. Ginny is all I have left and I'm very grateful. I smiled at snuffy and sat him down in the little rocking chair by the window. His body wasn't as strong so it drooped in the seat. I put on the socks and pulled the strap over the top of the shoe. I pulled my ballerina leotard over my head messing up my ponytail. When I was finished I gave snuffy a kiss on the head before running downstairs to eat breakfast with Ginny.

"Good morning!" Ginny sang in her happy morning voice. I've lived with her for 3 years now and I love her very much but I still always see my momma when I look at her.

"Good morning," I said sitting at one of the wooden chairs around the table. Glancing up I saw what was laid out around the cherry tablecloth. Potatoes with salt and cheese on them in one big purple pottery bowl, bacon and eggs along with steaming ham all on one big platter. It all still looked very hot since Ginny was still cooking away. Orange juice in a glass pitcher, I could see the condensation forming around the outside. Fluffy golden Pancakes with butter on top melting down the side all the way the crisp white plate holding them. I smiled and sniffed the air. "Smells yummy!" I said happily to Ginny as she sat in front of me.

"I know we usually have cereal for breakfast because we both know I'm not one to cook. But since today is a very special occasion! I have made you the breakfast a queen deserves! Because of my little queen." She said sitting up straight and smiling just as big as I was.

"I love you, Aunt Ginny," I say sitting on my hands and looking at my lap. I've never said that to her much but she made me feel happy today. Ginny was quiet for a second and then said in the happiest voice I ever heard her speak she said. "I love you too Darcy."

"Now, eat up. You have ballet in an hour I need to take you soon... snuffy can come too since we will be going onto the plane right after you're done." She said putting a pancake and some potatoes on my plate and onto hers.

I huffed and took a drink of my orange juice in my cup that Ginny just poured. "But I don't like ballet," I said in a whiny voice.

"I know you don't. But Darcy before your mother... well she told me before she left that when I take care of you that I need to do what she already did then. So she could pass knowing she did something right in life to have her daughter grow up to be a lady. She always beloved ballet made you have poise." Ginny started explaining but I tuned out at the mention of my mother.

I didn't eat much breakfast but thanked her anyway before heading into the car with her. I buckled in Snuffy and myself then looked out the window as it started to rain a little. I watched as the small pellets of water hit the window and gracefully slide down.

I sighed and looked over at snuffy. I wish I didn't have to go to ballet-like him.

•••

I was used to this already. Once every week I went to the ballet. I didn't have friends in that class and it was for two hours! I'd rather play with Ginny at home. Or bake cupcakes with her like we usually do. Ginny never could have children so taking care of me made her happy. She always said that if she had kids they would be fat because she would bake them cupcakes way too often. Thinking about that made me smile.

I walked over to a group of girls whispering. I wanted to join in so I didn't look lonely. "Hi, Beatrice, Hi Peggy, and Hi Ashley," I said waving and sitting down beside them criss-cross applesauce.

"Hi, dirty bunny girl," Peggy said in a voice I didn't understand but it hurt my feelings for some reason. "You can't sit over here Darcy. We are talking about our sleepover this weekend. You're not invited to it so you can't listen." Ashley said meanly.

"Oh... ok I'm sorry," I said standing up and sitting over on the window ledge and looking out the window at the still continuing rain. My vision went slightly blurry as tears threatened their ways out. Why did they hate me so much? And then calling me Bunny girl? It hurt my feelings. They started calling me that ever since I brought my bunny to class with me on bring-your-friend-to-class-day.

I was so embarrassed I left snuffy in the hallway and continued class without a friend until class was over.

I heard Beatrice say something about me and I made the mistake of listening in. "She's so weird. I saw Darcy reading a book about survival at sea yesterday at our youth group. I heard she has to read it because her parents don't take care of her. And learning how to kill sea animals helps her cope." I heard Peggy and Ashley laugh. I wanted to run over there and tell them that's not true. And that survival at sea was very interesting. But I didn't. I didn't move.

That broke me more than I was already. I shut my eyes closed tightly and leaned back on the ledge. Just as I was about to run out of the room,

The girls stopped immediately as Ms. Goodawitz waltzed her way in.

"Good morning my lovelies. Let's get started, go to the bar and leg up, like we do every week." She announces clapping her hands together. Ms. Goodawitz reminded me of a witch. But a nice witch. I was always nice to her because I was afraid she would cast a spell on me. But I believed that last year and I'm older now. We all know witches don't cast spells. The cast hexes.

I went to the bar and lifted my leg up along with the other girls. I was in the back because Ms. Goodawitz knew I didn't have the best balance out of Ashley, Peggy, and Beatrice or as the other girls. I wobbled a little bit but caught my balance before anyone could see.

When we had a break time after one hour I stayed in the room. Ms. Goodawitz told us to wait here while she went to the bathroom. I slightly was begging her not to leave because I was afraid the three girls would say something mean. As soon as she did they came up to me.

I started to shake and I didn't know why. "Do you really read about how to survive at sea?" Beatrice retorted.

"I know why you read it. Sally at youth group said your parents don't care about you so you read it to 'calm down'." Ashley said using air quotes.

I couldn't take it. I stood up and pushed Ashley as hard as I could. She fell onto the ground with a loud squeak. I jumped on top of her and pulled her hair. Peggy and Beatrice screamed. And the next thing I knew Ginny was pulling me off of Ashley.

I looked up and Ashley's mom was glaring at us. So was Peggy and Beatrice's mom.

"I'm so sorry, Pam," Ginny said to Ashley's mom. "Don't think for a second I won't sue! Your daughter deliberately attacked my poor Ashley!!" Pam screamed.

Ms. Goodawitz came to me and Ginny's side. "I think you should leave just an hour early today..." She said. Ginny nodded and we were out of there faster then I could blink. When we got into the car Ginny turned to me. "What in the world were you thinking Darcy!" She scolded. I felt my face get hot. "I'm sorry." I apologized.

Ginny's face got softer. "Why did you do it?" She questioned. I just shrugged. "Darcy..." speaking in her warning voice.

"They said my parents didn't care about me. I knew they did, they are just gone." I said. Ginny wipes a tear away and I realized I was crying. "Let's go get some ice cream before we leave." She said giving me a small smile.

"Ginny?" I asked after we were on the road. "Yes, dear?"

"I don't want to go to ballet anymore," I told her honestly. Ginny stayed quiet for a long long time before answering.

"You don't have to, I'm not going to make you." She said letting out a sigh. "You mean everything to me and all I want is for you to be happy."

•••

I was relieved to be sitting on the plane with my booklet I found in the airplane and snuffy. To have jeans and a t-shirt instead of an itchy ballet leotard. My converse expressed me better than ballet flats. Ok fine. Velcro. But I am learning how to tie my shoes!

I held onto snuffy and looked over at Ginny who was fast asleep with her pink mask on. My mom got her that as a joke years ago. I didn't get it though.

Ginny's blonde hair behind her was ruffled up showing how tired she really was.

I turned my attention to my survival at sea. Fish tend to gather around vessels. I read. This was so cool. I loved reading, I was going into 2nd grade and I already read Harry Potter books and Percy Jackson.

Ginny moved her arm in her sleep and knocked the book out of my hands and onto the floor. I grabbed Ginny's arm and put it on her lap. I went to grab my book but some pretty girl was holding it.

"That's mine," I said. Reaching for my book. I watched as her eyes widened as she read the cover. I saw her eyes flicker to my aunt.

Once I got the book back I watched as she started down the aisle. Without thinking I jumped up with snuffy and tugged the girl's romper a little. She turned around and I asked where she was sitting.

I sat over there in hopes she would come back and sit by me so I had someone to talk to. She did.

•••

Our conversation was going great. She was so nice. And I was just happy I had someone to talk to. "What's your favorite color?" She asked me. "Black!" I answered truthfully. I loved the color black it reminded me of black bears. And the woods were so interesting. "And rainbow!" I said remembering how much I loved that color too. It looked like she was going to say something. But then.

The plane shook. I felt unwanted fear creep up my back. I held tighter onto snuffy. I didn't think I would be scared if a plane crashed reading about it but I immediately thought about it happening.

I wanted to go back to Ginny. I slid out of the seat and went into the aisle. I couldn't quite remember her name but I went with what I could remember. I think it was Maggie.. or Meghan...? No that didn't sound right... I'm guessing it was Margaret. I'll just say Margaret and hope I'm right.

"Bye Margaret Palinkie," I said waving and running down the aisle. I really hope that's her name. I moved my way around a tall guy and a flight attendant all the while still keeping my eyes locked on Ginny.

Sitting back by Ginny, I felt relief when she was still asleep and didn't know I left. I went back to my book and continued to read with snuffy close to me.

•••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 5.7K 33
Finding Happiness Spinoff - Jordan (Cole's best friend) My past haunts me. I don't do relationships because of it. I hook up, one night no feelings...
274K 5.1K 43
"Right then, I knew there was something different about you and I just...I needed to know you." ──・・𖥸・・── Myrtle Beach is just one of those cities w...
611 147 40
A peaceful and boring life is supposed to be a simple goal to achieve, right? With her small family and dog, living in a little cabin by the beach...
17.3K 955 50
Their love story seemed to be perfect in everyone's eyes, right? He saved her in every way a person can be saved, after all. Then, would it remain...